Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The thing that killed Assassin's Creed IV for me was tailing ships. While that isn't too bad on its own, it's a kick in the teeth when you're shooting for 100% syncro and you have to complete bonus objectives. I basically had about a foot of space in which to sail where enemy ships wouldn't be alerted or whatever, it was horrible. Also I can't hit 100% in Story Mode because I do not have one of those nifty online passes; I bought the game for my sibling and the pass that came with the game is locked to her account. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I finished Assassin's Creed III not too long ago, and that game stood out among the other rear end Creeds for me due to its incredibly bad movement controls. You have to stealth around on the edges of ships? Better go slowly otherwise Connor will pull himself onto the railing and into a patrolling guards' arms. You have to chase a dude on horseback in a heavily wooded area? Better hope your horse doesn't hit any stray pixels because he'll stop or veer wildly. I understand that movement will be wonky because of all the objects Connor can climb and interact with, but I had to replay missions far too often because Connor would leap in random directions during free-running/would stick to walls while I chased guys.

Also I encountered a few glitches that made Homestead improvements a dead end. Every time I tried to lead the doctor to the farmer's wife in the woods, the doctor would just sit on his horse and stare at me. I tried to push his horse by riding mine into it, but the doctor just sank into the earth and the mission was failed. I guess she'll just sit there forever, stuck in a limbo that is the woods around my low-populated village.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Whoever decided to put The Imprisoned into the boss rush in Skyward Sword is a huge jerk. The second and third forms were hard enough during story mode, and now I have to do it all again for the Hylian Shield. I suck at killing his toes, Groose takes a long time to load the cannon, and Link has the bad habit of just slipping off the head of the boss. I may just have to do the final boss with the shield I have now. :(

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I stopped going for the toes, because I get stomped on and they make it impossible to get to his head after his second form, due to his arms. The problem with the vent air drop is that Link often slides off the boss's round head, or he falls through the boss. When I managed to kill the boss in story mode, The Imprisoned was pretty close to the Temple. So if I mess up once, I can't kill him in time. Also I'm horrible at controlling Link during air drops, so I guess I need to suck it up and get better at that.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Update on my earlier post where I whined that the Imprisoned in Skyward Sword's boss rush was really hard: I thought that for each time you wanted to nail the pedestal down, you had to a) Skyward Strike it and b) you only got to hit it once before he shakes you off. Turns out normal downward hits work, and you can hit it all 3 times before he knocks you off. Also you can hit him with the cannon to make him stop slithering up the ramp. I am not good at video games. :downs:

For actual content, I picked up Gauntlet on Steam, and the Act I floors where you run from Death isn't fun. It's not hard to outpace him, but when you play as a melee character you have to rely on any ranged attacks you have over melee swings since you're basically locked in place when you swing your weapon. So those floors are just way more tedious than hard. Also those stupid ghosts that spawn infinitely are obnoxious.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

RyokoTK posted:

The Death levels own because you're supposed to play it in multiplayer and spend the entire time screen trapping your partners.
Wait, you can trap other people? Like, they can't walk through your character and you can trap them between you and the wall?

Well, I know what I'm doing tonight when my buddies get online. Valkyrie with a speed-increasing relic says hello to the trapped Elf. :getin:

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Tailing missions in all other AssCreeds have nothing on how bad they were in Black Flag. I went for 100% synchro for the full game, and I would rather fight that bullshit legendary armored Spanish man o' war again than do the tailing missions in ships a second time.

Trying to avoid being detected by the target while swerving and doing circles to avoid alerting the ten warships that you have to pass by is not fun.

It was really nice being able to snag bonus money for assassination missions by just shooting the target with a berserk dart, though.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I recently borrowed Thief from a friend, and while it's an okay game it does have some obvious flaws. My biggest beef with it is the fact that they simultaneously rolled a number of actions into E (by default) while separating other very similar actions and assigning them to other keys.

What this means is that often I'll try to pick a locked chest next to a corner and get stuck peeking around said corner three or four times before Garrett goes for the lock. Meanwhile your silent takedown (Q) and melee attack (R) both use the blackjack but are separate buttons.

I know you can probably remap the keys, but I'm too used to the original trilogy and its control schemes.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
So I finished Metro 2033 Redux and it was a pretty great game, outside of 2 sections.

One was when you had to escape Nazis in the tunnels by riding a cart with a machine gun. By default, you looked left and right with A and D and aimed up and down with the mouse. What this meant is that I died several times because in the heat of battle that is a terrible control scheme for hitting small targets. It should have just used the mouse or the keyboard for aiming, not both.

The other was the very end. There was no boss fight or even fighting at all, just three sections where you run towards the bad guy, then away from the bad guy in a maze, then away from the bad guy in a jumping puzzle.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I haven't played Redux so I'm not sure if anything's different about the end, but the lack of a Giant Glowing Weakspot Boss or even much of an antagonist at all was a really good thing about it in my opinion. In terms of gameplay it's probably a little unsatisfying that the last actual fighting you do is shooting mutants while running for your life, but thematically I think it fit better that the ending wasn't about violence (depending on the ending you chose :frog:).

It still felt super climactic the first time I played it, because everything got more and more surreal in the last ten minutes, and even before that I had used every single supply I had except shiny bullets on the run to the tower, so I was left with no option but to weaponize the last of my bank account. It actually felt as desperate as the game wanted it to be.

This isn't the metro thread so I'll save it but Last Light lost a lot of what metro 2033 did so well in my opinion.
From your description of the tower leading up to the final section of the game, it seems like Redux is pretty similar to the original game. Now I'm curious about choosing endings though, did Artyom perhaps have the option to not bomb the Dark Ones?

Basically I'm spoiled in terms of end-game bosses because I'm used to games with a clear antagonist, so the last section of Metro was a bit of a ride for me as I was expecting to possibly fight a Dark One head-on. But having the last encounter happen in your own mind did reinforce the fact that Dark Ones are incredibly powerful, and they don't even need to touch you in order to harm you. To be honest, even dying at that encounter wasn't so bad thanks to good checkpoints. It was also neat seeing what happened to Artyom in reality if you died while in that encounter.

The tower section was really excellent regardless though. Even though I had some spare ammo from earlier, I had to resort to using my military-grade bullets because I had only a couple filters remaining and the Demons don't really care if you put a couple slugs into their heads. I believe there was only one or two extra gas masks as well, so it really felt like it was coming down to the wire between my nearly-broken equipment/low ammo and the Dark Ones yelling at me in visions the higher up I got.

I've been told that Last Light has far more human enemies than mutants, so I'm unsure if I'll enjoy it or hate it. Watchers were jerks but Librarians were really cool and I'd hate if I didn't get to stare them down/fight them in the sequel.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I got around to trying the Batman games for the first time, and the knife dudes in Asylum are the worst things in it so far (completed up to the second Scarecrow :catdrugs: point). I just want to continue foever with my crazy flying kick combo, and I have to break it to stun those knife dudes.

While the combat is way more fluid in Asylum than in an Assassin's Creed game, I honestly like AC's climbing a little more. I've walked off several platforms because I keep thinking Batman will drop and hang off a ledge if I inch off of it. The combat more than makes up for that little issue, though.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Update on Batman Arkham Asylum: You guys were totally right, those guys with stun batons are far worse than those knife dudes. All it takes is me not paying attention to the dude I'm swinging at offscreen, and then my super combo gets interrupted from zap bat. :argh:

I'm about to hit the Poison Ivy fight, and the only advice I've gotten is "go watch a video on it, it's obnoxious".

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I'm playing through NG+ in Batman Arkham City, and the only real issue I still have is the lack of a targeting reticle in combat. The game throws stun baton guys at you way early, and Batman has a bad habit of choosing the guy next to the target I want when I'm throwing punches in combat. So unless I dedicate all of my combos to Destroy and Disarm (which will home in on an armed person if I X+Y in their general direction), I have to be extremely careful to not be anywhere near stun guys. A simple arrow above the dude that you're about to punch would go a long way for me.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I was deleting junk off my 360's hard drive and I saw that I had 99% completion for the main story in Assassin's Creed IV. I started up the game and looked up what I was missing: a treasure map that you could only get if you had a Uplay pass thing that was set up when you activated the pre-order bonus stuff. I gave the game to my sister as a birthday gift, so I was unable to get that last map unless I wanted to purchase a new Uplay pass thing.

I know I essentially dominated the single-player mode, but it's a bit irritating that you HAD to be connected to the Internet and have a Uplay thing to 100% it.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I wish I had known that, goodbye 99% save. :negative:

I'll never try for that again. The thread has covered this already, but the only parts I loved were the actual pirate parts. I tried to avoid all land-based missions until I ran out of fun stuff to do.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I bought The Witcher 1 and 2 since they were super cheap, and dear god the Beast in 1. You can't chug potions in the cave before the fight, it removes all buffs during the cutscene. The Beast's infinitely-spawning minions immediately swarm Abigail so you don't get her healing, and the Beast can use Pain to paralyze you halfway across the arena. Also a level 2 Aard sign knocks the Beast to the floor for maybe 2 seconds if you're lucky. Boss design!

Edit: And I had to laugh when I used a Blizzard potion, only to immediately get hit with Pain. Instead of being stunned for 10 seconds, I got to wait more than 20 because of the time-warp effect.

QuietLion has a new favorite as of 19:19 on May 24, 2015

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Yeah, I ended up murdering the Beast through an Aard level 2 Stun + Sword. While I still think it was an ill-conceived boss, it taught me that level 2 Aard Stun will let you one-shot basically anything. When that Burning Rose guy was 'helping' me kill the cockatrice in the sewers, I used Aard Stun to kill it instantly. I laughed really hard when later on Geralt commented that the NPC did well in that fight. :v:

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I recently started playing Trine 2 and while I've enjoyed most of the changes from the first game (playing target practice by Levitating enemies for my Thief buddy to shoot is the goddamn best), it's still trivially easy to bypass a lot of puzzles by conjuring piles of boxes and planks. There's no reason to summon 4(!) large boxes beyond "let's brute force this puzzle".

And since you can Levitate objects while your buddy hitches a ride, it makes some puzzles even easier to skip.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This ability is an option you can disable I believe. But yeah it gets hard not to crush every puzzle under a mass of boxes later on instead of actually doing them. At the same time it's cool that they are pretty flexible about how you can get past puzzles so there's often more than just one way to do it, but the "intended" way involves the least torturing the physics.
I was wondering what the 'Levitate Self/Friends' option was in the game lobby. :downs:

On the bright side, it makes it much easier to collect all the little items that I feel a compulsive need to collect!

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Clearing out all the roadblocks/outposts in Arkham Knight is unnecessarily annoying because of psychic enemies. I take out a couple guys, fly off for a minute, then get nailed to a wall because the remaining militia/drones tracked me through a dozen buildings somehow.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
To complement my post about the game in the Favorite Little Things thread, Trine 3 incorporates new features to the series quite well, including levels that allow you to run towards the backdrop and the camera rather than 1 and 2's sidescroller-esque gameplay.

However, there's several sections that have you running or jumping along thin rails or walkways. While this wouldn't be an issue in a sidescroller, it occasionally be very difficult to avoid falling off due to the inability to tell precisely where you are in space relative to the rail or beam.

The game is somewhat generous about landing on these rails, but I've still died quite a few times because I was a foot too close to the backdrop and missed a jump. The characters don't really have a shadow when they jump either, so I can't use that to ensure that I'm on the same plane.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I've been playing Resident Evil 6 and while I enjoy the Zombie Wrestling Simulator that is its combat, it's annoying to deal with zombies that free roam during mini cutscenes. At a gas station, the camera zoomed into a gas pump as a hint that I should shoot it. Only I died as soon as the 10+ second scene ended because the zombies didn't give a poo poo about cutscenes and boxed me into a corner while I was forced to look at this gas pump. There's several instances of this, and often there's a special and very deadly zombie in these sections. :(

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Why is friendly fire enabled in Dead Rising 2? It makes it difficult to go help my partner if he gets grabbed, and the Survivors can do damage to Chuck too. And Survivors go insane and start chasing zombies if I give them anything that resembles a weapon. I saw one throw the bag of chips I gave him at a zombie. :mad:

At least the AI can navigate somewhat okay. I still have bad flashbacks to The Impassable Ledge from DR1.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Aleph Null posted:

This could be a viable attack in Fallout 4.
I'm not sure which thread in PYF I saw it in, but there's a FO4 gif somewhere in which someone shot a human skull from a gun in VATS and exploded a Super Mutant's head. :stare:

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The worst part about Shadow of Mordor was getting jumped by several captains at once. Fighting them all at once isn't bad, but it's incredibly annoying to sit through several "lock swords and listen to the Uruk captain deliver his line" in a row. It kills the flow of my Uruk genocide and I hate it. :saddowns:

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Played the Dead Money expansion pack for New Vegas, and I can't decide if I hated the radio/bomb collar gimmick or the holographic guards more. Turns out that playing as an aggressive Melee Weapons/Unarmed character with about 5 points in Sneak in this place was a terrible idea.

But at least I could murder the Ghost people en masse by ripping off limbs and heads. And I made off with all of the gold bars by taking a detached arm from Elijah, filling it with gold bars, and carrying the arm to the exit.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
For some reason the developers of Dead Island thought that it would be a great idea to make players unable to walk or clip through each other, and also to put at least half of the quest NPC's/work tables/quest items in very tight, cramped areas. Four players all trying to leap back from a Suicider in a tiny hallway equals (at least) two dead players. And it is a nightmare trying to squeeze 4 people around a workbench in a room that is less than 10 square feet.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The time limit in Dead Rising 1 and 2 was only a real issue if you were trying to save as many Survivors as possible. Unfortunately, saving Survivors is one of the best ways to get PP (experience) so you either have to get over the fact that you WILL lose a Survivor or two, or plan out an optimal route through the mall.

The worst part about those two games was that main missions had time limits, and those limits could expire even if you were an inch from completing the quest. One quest in 2 has you chasing a dude on a motorcycle in an underground tunnel, and I "failed" the main mission because I ran out of time, in the middle of an unstoppable cutscene after you catch said dude. :(

Fake edit: But the very worst part of 2 was that you couldn't keep Snowflake, she would leave and chill with Katy if you entered the safe room. Snowflake was pure death to any psycho.

QuietLion has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Jan 27, 2016

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Going through my backlog of games, I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins and two big things are really dragging it down: at least 70% of chests have a level 4 lock, and the difficulty seems to swing wildly between 'I can let my teammates run wild and never die' to 'Jesus this dwarf just took off half my HP with one swing'.

I've done the forest and am in Orzammar, and the game seems to assume that I will have a rogue with max lock picking (made available at level 12; both my rogues are 10) or that I will be willing to run through areas that I've cleared out just to unlock chests. And because you can only fast travel when you're at the outskirts of a major area, gently caress that it would take forever just to do a clean-up sweep.

I started the game on Normal but had to drop down to Easy, which sucks because Easy isn't always, well, easy. I murdered a dragon in a fun but somewhat simple fight, only to have four armored dwarves kick the poo poo out of my party not ten minutes later. I've played Baldur's Gate so I can understand making the player set up strategies for difficult fights, but man. At one point I was killed by a dwarf swinging an axe when my character was 30 feet away and my super scary and threat-generating Templar was stabbing said dwarf in the rear end. Strategy is hard to utilize when enemies just don't care and attack random party members for no real reason.

TL;DR: Lockpicking is stupid and enemies don't give a poo poo if your buff tank is in their faces, they'll just go mulch your inconspicuous healer.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Orzammar being the last place you're supposed to go is obvious now that I think about it; the dragon in the forest ruins hit for maybe 1/4 the damage that the Proving Champion dwarf hit for. :v:

Luckily I realized quickly that auto-level was a bad idea so I quickly turned that off. Of course this opened up the issue of me forgetting to level my less-used party members, so I'll be in combat when I realize that Barkspawn the War Dog has several points to use.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Battleblock Theater is a fun little cooperative platformer/block puzzle game, but it's dragged down by the fickleness of the blocks themselves. Many of the puzzles require you to lift and pass large rocks to your teammate, but if any number of factors are present, you rapidly slam the boulder into your face and die.

Is the boulder right next to a wall? You're dead. Do you need to pass the rock to your teammate, who is on a different level than you? You're dead. At one point I threw a rock down to my partner, only for the rock to disappear. After a couple of seconds, the rock flew out of ledge I was on, crushing my teammate. :psyduck:

False edit: The checkpoint system makes no sense too. You reach a checkpoint flag, die, and then it's a dice roll if you'll respawn next to the flag, or in some arbitrary part of the level - including inside an enemy grenade or Raccoon Death Monster.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I bought Devil May Cry 4 for the PC after buying and beating 3, and I literally cannot play it. For some reason when I try to run forward with Nero, he only walks. He can run in any direction but forward. I tried recalibrating my controller, but no dice. Apparently this has been a known issue since the game came out, so I either have to buy a new controller that doesn't have that weird dead zone or I have to use the keyboard controls.

Also the keyboard controls are a travesty, with your basic attacks bound to weird buttons like I or K. I could try to deal with only walking, but several people on the Steam support page mentioned a frog boss that is nigh impossible if you cannot run forward.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

RareAcumen posted:

The Bear in Metro Last Light either has sooooooooooooooooo much loving health or I'm not shooting it right because I'm getting seriously wrecked by the thing.
The bear makes absolutely no sense to me, and I've beaten the game twice. I ran wide circles as the bear chased me while I dropped explosives, and that was the only way I could actually kill that boss. The other enemies are supposed to 'help' in that they occasionally attack the bear instead of you. Instead it's a coin flip and sometimes you'll get swarmed while the bear saunters up and destroys you. :(

Content: I ponied up and bought a new controller so I could play (among other games) Devil May Cry 4. I've played 1-3 so I'm familiar with fixed camera angles, but holy moley some of these angles have to be designed to gently caress the player over. My first boss fight with Angus featured me hitting a glass observation window for about ten minutes while I got shocked every round because the camera angle made it impossible to jump and land on the one 3-foot wide safe spot. The floor would electrify and take off 1/5 of my hp if I didn't start running at least 5 seconds before the electricity started flowing.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I initially had a blast playing as Nero, but I really did not enjoy being forced to use him for the last couple of levels in Devil May Cry 4. After running laps around bosses as Dante with Trickster and giving no fucks with Royal Guard, it was painful dealing with Nero's (relative) lack of mobility and variety beyond his Grip. The final boss would have been a blast as Dante, but as Nero it was so awful that I spammed Holy Water until I killed the demon pope.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
There are tons of dogs wandering the streets in The Division, but there is no 'pet' button. :(

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The swimming in Dishonored is absolutely abysmal. As I'm playing with a controller, it's difficult to simultaneously hold my head above water, jump+Blink in an attempt to get out, and also avoid the stupid tiny Slaughterfish-wannabes that nibble my ankles. I'm loving this game as it is what the most recent Thief failed to be, but this water thing sucks.

I appreciate that there's almost never a need to swim with Blink II and Agility II, though. Getting to the Golden Cat to find Emily on the top floor took me about 45 seconds with that combo.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I'm not sure if it's just me, but Dishonored seems to be insanely buggy when it comes to the AI acting appropriately. I had to reload the High Overseer mission six times because Campbell and the 'Save this guy for an optional quest' captain never walked out of the room they begin in.

In the Lady Boyle mission, party guests would randomly start cowering and call the guards to cut me down while I was walking around not doing anything of notice. I had to reload eleven times for this one. Eventually I gave up and skipped the majority of the level by Possessing the proper Boyle and leaving her in the cellar.

I take my sweet time with these types of games, so I estimate I've lost at least a couple hours of gameplay to NPCs in missions bugging out at random sections for unexplained reasons.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Dr Christmas posted:

I don't think they managed to actually finish implementing the non-lethal stealth option for the High Overseer Campbell mission. Before you do it, you learn the target will be meeting with a guard captain related to a resistance member, and rumor is the High Overseer plans to poison him, and you're given the side-objective to save him. The captain isn't part of the resistance himself, so he'll turn hostile when he sees you except for one moment.

If you spill the poisoned wine...

There's some more weirdness with the non-lethal version of that level too...
I have to admit, it's incredible how many times I reloaded that bugged Overseer mission, only for me to never see this cool event you've described. Like you said, the Captain took off as soon as the door opened and I tagged his two pursuers from under the table with sleep darts.

The High Overseer went the same direction, ran down 3 flights of stairs, and hid in the secret room in the basement. He ran screaming through about eight guards and none of them were bothered by this.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Packmasters in Vermintide would be way less awful if their AI made any sense. Half the time the Packmaster snipes a victim from a distance away, but the rest of the time he'll waltz into the middle of the group to grab a target. There is no real way to tell who he'll do that to.

Since I play with at least 1 buddy the PM dies basically immediately anyway, but it was getting really old seeing the rat ignore the three people in front of me just to poke my character. At least they still don't snag people through literal walls, I've heard that was in an earlier patch and it made stairs death traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Firebombs in Vermintide are idiot magnets. I am now at the point where I will fling every firebomb outside the level in a Last Stand area just to ensure that it doesn't fly up my rear end because my "teammates" don't understand that fire spreads.