Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Endoscopy in general is pretty bad and tedious, I guess.

At least you didn't hear ROCK SOLID every 10 seconds of a 20 minute procedure.

ROCK SOLID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

In Guild Wars 2 the ranger was really gimped with Anet justifying it as "Well you got a pet so we have to gimp you to make up for it!" Then Anet said that the pet commands are just a simple "attack" and "don't attack" cause they didn't want to make it too complicated. The pet will have exactly 1 ability you have control over, yeah cause I didn't want to command when my pet can use its ability to turn itself invincible, just let it decide to do it whenever.

What's weird is in FFXIV they seem to have the whole pet thing figured out. I'm not sure why any other game hasn't followed suit since it's a viable class where you can control your pet (or put them on auto attack/skills), direct them and even switch targets. Even the healing (Scholar) class with the fairy healer is more fun than the straight up healing White Mage class.

It's strange. There's still balance problems but not to the massive degree I've seen in other games.

edit - For content, I wish ffxiv would give us a more fun healing/tank class. Everyone just got ninja so they're flipping out and shooting knives and dancing around out of stances, and healers just sort of stand there and spam the same 3 skills.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Party Finder in FFXIV. Half the people have never done the fights and are practicing and are generally cool. Then there is everyone else.

These are people I have no idea even managed to make it to max level or gear up without paying real money to get someone else to do it for them. There's two fights that absolutely need the two people tanking to switch spots and use certain skills to do that. You normally would make a macro to make a sound and notify the other tank that hey, I used my skill; please stop attacking and switch spots! Nobody does. In fact, they get angry at you because oh my god guys sometimes the macro doesn't go off because my sausage fingers keep smashing every keyboard button and interrupts it. Yeah sure they could actually write the macro code correctly so it won't allow you to use any other skills in those 1-2 seconds so it'll go off properly but why bother! Half the team hosed off and died anyway!

They just can't stop bashing their loving keyboards into oblivion long enough to let a one second skill go off. I'm not a goddamn mind reader.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

To be frank, I haven't encountered a single tank swap mechanic that actually requires any sort of communication. Even Ramuh Extreme can be done simply by focus targeting the other tank so you can constantly follow the state of his stacks. I don't bother with macros because it doesn't take a lot of effort to keep an eye on swaps.

Yeah most of the time I don't in parties that know what they're doing, but I think with the release of Ninja the last patch we got a huge influx of idiots. It doesn't help that apparently I'm on a huge RP server as well. The last fight I was in before I finally uninstalled the game the other tank asked "what's tankswapping?" before dying horribly for 30 minutes straight.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

JebanyPedal posted:

DA: Inquisition is really half-assed as an open world game.

° Bioware still doesn't understand pacing or the economy of words, interacting with your party members, an essential part of the game, is again just painful reams of nonstop, boring, badly written dialog, with characters explaining their entire backstories but then yelling the obligatory "I don't want to talk about that yet." when you haven't reached sufficient plot or friend progression. It's artificial and awful

I can't take Bioware seriously after the got into this weird pattern of writing characters (especially the romances) the exact same way, just with different models. In the last game the one love interest basically starts a dialogue after the half assed sex scene about how he remembers something about his sister and basically fucks off for the next time skip. He even pulls the I DON'T UNDERSTAND FEELINGS thing. This only happens with the male gay characters too, they never have the female ones do this weird poo poo. Who wants to watch an awkward sex scene after the one guy cries about his dead husband in mass effect 3?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOYJVmFUFg4#t=142

That is some quality poo poo right there.

:nws:For elf titties.

What in the gently caress.

They somehow made an elf lesbian romance more hosed up and stupid than the second game where you murder an entire village of elves so your elf girlfriend who summoned a demon doesn't feel bad about it being her fault.

edit - Also Sera somehow looks like a young Mick Jagger after a meth binge.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

That's not a joke by the way.

I appreciate Bioware is taking a more progressive slant with their characters, but holy poo poo it's heavy handed to the point of being embarrassing.

You...were not kidding. David Gaider has gone on record to say that it had to be a slightly minor character because someone like a shopkeeper wouldn't be able to explain what their genitals are in forced dialogue with the main character otherwise.

Jesus christ.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Xander77 posted:

On a similar note, once you've solved the puzzle in Puzzle Agent, the "why is this the solution" section is "this is the solution. Just because" like 90% of the time. Gets a bit better in Puzzle Agent 2, but still.

Don't even get me started on Puzzle Agent. Great, great premise with Grickle doing really unique art for the project. It's not even going to follow the same old formula Telltale does with their games! Great!

Instead we get what is literally 3 puzzles rehashed throughout the entire game, all the art assets beyond the main characters are cheap poo poo done by some poor intern who probably became an alcoholic, and the story just shits itself barely halfway through.

It had so much potential. And then they managed to make an even shittier sequel. TELLTALE.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Who What Now posted:

While I did/do like Bayonetta when I first played it I have never beaten it. The core gameplay is really solid but the whole game really does feel skeevy. I suppose there can be merit in a character that not only is a sexual object but acknowledges and owns that fact and uses it to their advantage, but Bayonetta didn't do it right IMO.

To be fair right now we have people holding up Chainsaw Lollipop and the new Tomb Raider as bastions of feminism. All things considered it's a step in the right direction with having female character designers creating the character and exploring what women want to see in games versus getting an achievement for looking up her skirt poo poo. They did overdo it a little much in Bayo 1, do they at least try to handle it better in Bayo 2?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

FF14: How basic the macro system is. I'm not asking for the ability to make a macro that allows me to activate it and walk away from the pc for a few hours. I just want 2 things:

1: Conditional macros, as a healer I want to know if my "oh poo poo" button went through, I make it make a sound so I at least know I pushed it and the game registered it, but did it actually hit or was I too far away? There is a message that'll tell me my target is too far away, but its out of the way, hardly noticeable and the sound it makes is really subdued. I'd just like it to make a different sound and put a message in my chat box that I am too far away

2: You can set the macro to wait before doing the next line in the macro, but the game only limits you to 1 wait time. Also I may be wrong, but I swear that if you use one macro with a timer, then use another macro that doesn't have a timer it nullifies the timer of the first one. So I use my macro that beeps me at 30 seconds to let me know I can cast another skill, then I use another macro that just says "Skill used on X" with no timers attached to it. Then 30 seconds later and I don't get beeped and told about my other macro telling me I can use another skill that I was to wait 30 seconds for.

The last patch fixed a lot of that. Look through the list again, there's one that guarantees you can't cast another macro or skill until the current macro is finished.

edit- also you shouldn't have macros for healing other than setting up before a fight or swiftcasting resurrect. At least at the higher level stuff.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

Whats really great is that even after investing all that money and time, then you have to deal with the turbonerds who have long since had everything maxed out and watches the market boards like a loving hawk, so you have to deal with them constantly undercutting you (at no penalty too, you can put an item on the market for free. That needs to be changed cause low effort undercuts like pricing 1 gil lower then you is rampant). Even better is that items you craft will have your name on them, so if you try to undercut someone you just might start getting harassed over it.

One gil undercutting is nothing.

Electrum ingots went from 2500+ down to barely 300 gil on my server they undercut each other so badly. It still hasn't recovered. I'm talking stacks I used to get over 100k for don't even cover the cost of materials anymore. Almost every craftable thing other than endgame has suffered the same for some reason.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

This sounds like every MMORPG, it's always better to sell raw materials rather than anything crafted.

That's the weird thing, even the raw materials were undercut into oblivion. The stuff to make the ingots? Used to be around 500-800 a piece, and you'd need several pieces sometimes to make the ingot. Now? Barely even 100-200.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
FFXIV's Ramuh Extreme fight.

There's a mechanic where two people will get "chaos" as a status effect and need someone with a thunderstorm aoe on them to run over and zap them so they can be freed. Anyone in the party can get it so you usually put numbers above peoples head so we all know who's responsible for it - someone with a lower number will run over and zap while higher numbers will move away. If you stack more than one thunderstorm you will probably murder several people. You can imagine how well that goes when the vast majority of people playing dps classes in this game think the only thing they're responsible for is murdering everything, including your own healers.

Getting the fight cleared is so rare that even when you do finally make through and can get loot everyone flips their poo poo and fucks each other over. I got together a group that could get through the fight, we finally make it and the item I needed dropped. We had all called which item we wanted before hand which means that nobody else is supposed to try to get it. Who loving rolls and steals it from me? The goddamn melee dps that murdered everyone. He then tried to weasel his way out of it by going on about "oops I forgot who called what teehee." That's the 6th time my item has been stolen.

Goddammit Ramuh. Why are you a prerequisite for the Shiva Extreme fight. Now I can't ever farm for items because everyone just wants to be carried through that fight once and never do it again. The Ramuh weapons are some of the nicest looking in the game too.

edit:
Ramuh's white mage staff

Shiva's ugly rear end white mage staff

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Jan 15, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

This is why rolling for drops is and will forever be the most retarded mechanic in MMO history.

I was considering trying FF15 but if this is how loot works I won't bother(no I didn't play WoW), Guild Wars 2 loot is utter poo poo 99% of the time but its your pile of poo poo.

Normally if you go premade everybody calls and trusts each other. If you gently caress up and steal you get booted and never get invited to another run again. If you go with randoms it's a free for all roll fest to see who can steal whatever items they can get their grubby hands on. It's a piss off when you do several runs with someone only for them to steal something they didn't need simply because they could. At the very least they could steal the item they actually wanted and disappear!

If they implemented a system for premades where you can pre call loot where you automatically get it if it drops I would never play any other mmo ever again.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

FF14 is insanely popular so probably not.

Also this, wasting 4 hours to non stop wipes due to retards is not my idea of fun.

Yeah, that's the problem. I don't mind actually having to put in 4 hours to get the items I need for the next few months. That's a good investment of my time. The problem is when I strictly create a party of experienced players and somehow we end up with some loving random rear end in a top hat who tried to sneak in without a clear to be carried, wipes us all repeatedly and then rage quits.

Some rear end in a top hat last night called me an "mlg wannabe human being" because I told him to watch a loving guide on the super simple mechanics. I finally uninstalled this poo poo.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

The thing dragging Guild Wars 2 down for me was the storyline. It's fairly interesting stuff, if a bit generic, but your character is the central hero. Then at some point this incredibly bland Mary Sue NPCs character comes in, becomes the commander of all the armies and the story switches to focusing entirely on him, and you basically do chores to help this guy you don't care about at in the slightest. He doesn't do much either since you're still the one doing all the work, but all the other NPCs praise him.

It's kind of a silly thing to be annoyed at in an MMORPG but it ruined a perfectly serviceable story.

Felt the same way about FFXIV. There's a group you join and the entire storyline is basically following around a woman who's a goddamn fashion disaster and her crew of merry gently caress ups through the world fixing everyone else's problems. They may call you the hero of light but every single cutscene is based around every other character getting story progression while yours makes a dumb face in the background. When I ask my friends who have done all the new content the storylines are usually explained "And then some poo poo happened and these two dudes probably touched dicks."

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Darkest Dungeon, I love you bro but you got some issues. Mostly that if you give me two crusaders in the first 3 weeks the game becomes trivialized and I have no intention or hiring any of the shittier classes now. Hellion? Maybe if I want someone who's skills turn them into a wet paperbag poking at the enemy with a stick. Jester? Hahah get the gently caress out, what the hell are you even doing. Grave Digger? Cool, you can't even dig graves without an item like everyone else, go diddle yourself in the corner with the Plague Doctor and the Leper.

One Vetsal, one Highwayman and two Crusaders make the game so goddamn easy it's not even funny. And then I figured out how to take out the enemies in the back of the formations with never ending Holy Lances from both Crusaders. Then if they get super racist towards certain enemies you're basically made for the rest of the game.

I'm really digging the game, it's one of the most fun ones I've played in a long time, but the devs seriously have to re-balance some of the classes so they're useful beyond "puts lovely damage over time effect on someone."

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Lotish posted:

The Plague Doctor got buffed like, two days ago. Graverobbers too, though they could already wreck the difficulty curve in pitch blackness.

I might have to start a new file where I just do low torchlight runs then. I can see there'd be a lot of synergy between the plaguedoctor and bounty hunter, but there's just no incentive to do so once you learn the fun of never ending holy lances.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Lotish posted:

Meanwhile my Holy Lance crusaders were eaten by the Hag :cry:

Yeah Holy Lance doesn't work on that boss battle. I had to switch both Crusaders to the pot when it ate someone, then have the Highwayman go straight for the boss no matter what. Vestal just heals every turn unless your Crusader freaks out and misses a hit, then she can judgement it and get some healing back for herself at least.

It's a bit tricky on that fight but I haven't encountered any other that was difficult, even with the reduced damage going into the Wealds/Warrens.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Here's something dragging recent Silent Hill games down for me that I noticed that is different than the things people usually complain about : The games don't even take place in Silent Hill nowadays. From Silent Hill 4 onward, none of the games actually occur in the town itself and are at best tangentially related. 4 is possibly the worst offender because you are never even in Silent Hill at any point in the game except for the Forest World which, even then, is just a technicality.

Silent Hill 4 was actually supposed to be a spin off in the series to see if they could take it in a new direction. After some stuff happened in the studio they changed the name to Silent Hill 4 to make sure it would, at the very least, sell a few copies to keep them afloat. It's why the tone of the game gets so weird and disjointed from all the previous games.

To expand on this after 4 none of the Silent Hill games were made by the core studio ever again. It's why we have such stupid loving games like the PSP Vita one where it's a dungeon crawler hack and slash. Co Op horror games are amazing and they hosed it up. All they'd have to do is make it like the RE multiplayer game that was on ps2 for a few months before they took all the servers down and killed it.

If I remember right what brought Resident Evil Outbreak down for me was no local multiplayer. Oh my god I loved that game but the second it came out all the servers were down for good before it even had a chance. The developers didn't even really do much to make sure it'd actually worth all the effort either since all the scenarios were super short. They really should port it over to steam or something with a bunch of extras dammit.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

FF14: Melee and moving mobs, particularly during fates and especially for boss fates. Imagine you're a melee class and want to repeatedly hit this boss until he stops moving and you get a bunch of experience. Now imagine some chode who the boss targets decides to constantly run circles, you have a really good chance at never hitting the loving boss as he is moving. At best the boss may stop do some charge up attack. And the best part is usually this is an archer or a bard who can move and attack at the same time so he is constantly adding more hate to himself bu constantly damaging it.

Not that this is only an issue with boss fates, even in fates where its just "kill a bunch of enemies" and there SHOULD be enough mobs spread out for everyone, one guy pulls every loving mob and goes "Oh poo poo, I will die!" and runs off and resets the god drat fight

Not even going to lie, I loving love doing that as archer/bard. It's just so satisfying seeing all these melee dps getting angry and run after the boss even if I'm running in the same circular pattern for 10 minutes straight. They'll still be there till the end of the fate, raging silently among themselves as I bunny hop in a loop.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I get that but its frustrating to still have like 3 rooms left and everyone's crazy/dying.

Your parties are probably imbalanced then. If you're having stress issues you should try bringing along a crusader with stress heal to the ruins, or a jester to pop stress heals. If it's a longer dungeon make sure there are some stress reducing camping skills you can use.

Oooor...You upgrade the stage coach to max asap so you can bring burner parties with nothing but 5 torches into each short dungeon on your off weeks when everyone's boozing it up to destress and see how far they make it. There's a lot of trinkets and negative quirks that work well with low torchlight.

edit- I will say the way they lock out the lower leveled runs once you start getting later into the weeks is pissing me off though. Now I can't do burner teams like I used to.

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Feb 24, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I try to roll balanced always, 2 frontliners like a crusader and hellion and the back is usually buff/debuffers./healers.

I'm feeling the game might be one of those near impossible at start and gets gradually easier as you progress.

Yeah, the first 5 weeks are the most important. You basically create a whole lot of burner parties and upgrade the stagecoach above everything else. Then you start unlocking skills on the burners you get so the healers can actually heal. If you do it in any other order you basically are destined to fail and spend the rest of that save file trying to run through the dungeons with a party infected with syphilis and 3 torches.

I had to restart 3-4 times because there's really no other way to do it.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Pillars of Eternity - gently caress you! Stop crashing and trying to BSOD my computer. I have no idea how a unity game can gently caress up this badly but having to restart it every 5-10 minutes is pissing me off.

Also the AI so far are braindead. If you set your guys to attack before starting combat proper they completely forget what they're doing and rush in to do whatever the gently caress. Including running laps around a tree instead of going after the things attacking my mage. What the christ.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kalos posted:

Have you tried the workaround? Open the console ( ` ) and type "msaa 0" to disable anti-aliasing. Might not be your problem but it's common enough to have that posted up on the forums.

I came here to bitch about bugs in that game too but mine's way more trivial so now I feel petty.

Yeup, I've basically tried every fix in every forum about Pillars to no avail. It really sucks because I want to enjoy this game, I really want to get my $50 worth of crpg goodness out of it but it just won't let me. When it does run it lags like crazy and then just freezes and crashes every 5-10 minutes at most. Apparently it's trying to pull something like 2-3gigs of ram just to move across the map. :wtc:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alouicious posted:

get a computer not made in 2002

I built it last year and just replaced the video card - and actually in the middle of writing this it crashed my system again :(

Cmon Obsidian I really want to play this game.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

Nerds get worked up when you call Obsidian bad because they think storytelling in videogames is the highest form of art and when you explain to them that videogames are intended for kids it forces them to look inside themselves.

I'd agree with you but I can't exactly get to the storytelling parts without the rear end end of my computer blowing out faster than a white person at an Indian restaurant.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

If it runs on my incredibly lovely and weak Macbook Air then it should run on anything made in the last 5 years.

How does that help me or anyone else with these problems at all. How. Are you saying I should trade in my new computer with new parts in for a poo poo Mac to play this one game? Or are you just bragging? I really don't understand.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

The kickstarter backer NPCs in Pillars of Eternity are so bad. They included a "be in the game" tier for their kickstarter backers and apparently let the B-team from a fanfic tumblr write the descriptions.

I wish they had front loaded the main areas with the few good ones rather than scatter them out of the way. The ones I liked ended up being out in the corners of the towns, while the ones making text walls about lesbian thieves or obvious self inserts wielding katanas were in every single tavern. You never know if you're going to get a lovely 10 paragraph epic or a well written short glimpse into something mundane. The graveyard backer rewards were really poo poo in game too - who wants to read through lists of backer names when half of them are some lovely 420 reference or moon elf princess snowflake bullshit.

They also patched this pretty quickly but I was without internet for a month when I played it so I got to suffer through it when a specific spell would glitch out. Sometimes an enemy would cast Swarm of Insects which is a damage over time spell, and a pretty powerful one at that. If combat ended too soon or in a way it didn't agree with all my characters with it on them would suddenly get it permanently. Resting wouldn't get rid of it. Casting spells wouldn't get rid of it. Letting their health and endurance run out so they collapse and technically "die", then come back wouldn't get rid of it. I'd have to go to a save before the fight and redo it otherwise all my characters would be stuck with a swarm of wasps stinging them to death.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

DStecks posted:

The problem with Trailer Park Boys GTA is that the guns would need to always miss except when they're aimed at Ricky.

But no joke, you could probably make an amusing game out of explicitly small-time crime, where you cannot kill anybody because it would mean serious jail time. Telltale would probably be better-suited for a TPB game than something truly GTA-like.

Naw, Telltale would probably kill off one of the characters (or introduce random side characters to simply die) for cheap emotional impact. Plus half the puzzles would be stupid inane poo poo instead of hilarious inane poo poo, like refilling Julian's drink after every single thing that happens.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Esroc posted:

I've chosen to establish head-canon that it's just the whole "don't speak ill of the dead" thing, since he did sorta stop the end of the world and it wouldn't do Thedas any good to badmouth the Hero of Ferelden. But it's still really jarring that every time he comes up he's referred to like he's the greatest man who ever lived and the world is a worse place for his passing.

The only time I enjoyed that feature is when you find out that Alistar ends up being a fat, useless drunk who cries into his beer about how he was totally going to be king before your special snowflake character usurped him and put his loving rear end in a top hat uncle in power instead. Or whatever that option was. Most of the time though they just do some sort of superficial "weeeeh we remembered your Hawke was a dude!" thing.

The one that pissed me off the most was the Rachni Queen. In Mass Effect you find space bugs where the queen is being held hostage and her children can't hivemind with her, so that's why they're going nuts and eating everyone. You can choose to free her and she claims she'll help you in the future. In the second game you actually get an npc that shows up that simply tells you she's doing well and hiding in space without causing any problem. Third game she gets enslaved and you have to kill her babies again. But what if you killed her in the first game? Oh, well, they found a random one floating in space and enslaved that one.

What the gently caress Bioware.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

DStecks posted:

So, for the record, are you guys going to legitimately argue that the gore in Tomb Raider was not intended to be disturbing? Because I'm not "reading intent" into anything, I'm saying that these scenes are disturbing and taking the default assumption that this is deliberate. If you want to claim that these scenes are not meant to be disturbing, then the burden of proof is on you.

The developers have also come out and said that they intended to make Lara weak and passive because they want players to protect her. It is disturbing, no matter how much Poptart Fairy wants to whine that it isn't inbetween their screaming matches about Gamergate poo poo.

In Uncharted or Deadspace they never do that - the characters may start weaker or with limited weapons but they're never crying and making sad pouty faces before getting skewered through the face. They never linger on the character weakly grimacing and groaning while pawing at a stake through their face, and half of them are almost comedic (ie Drake failing to hold on in the airplane sequences and just flying off into the sky). It's always matter of fact YOU DIED, most of the time without you even seeing the character's face or reaction before they bite the dust.

They also don't have an attempted rape scene where a man chokes them to death for trying to escape being raped and that becomes their catalyst for turning into a mass murderer or defending themselves. You might be able to argue that it isn't meant to be nauseating if they had not included that, or the fact that they plan for the sequel to be taken up by a large portion of Lara getting therapy for PTSD.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Junkfist posted:

What if he was a Spacedad? He'll never be able to come home.

Then he'll become a Spaceghostdad and return in the sequel to haunt you because he can't see his Spacekids anymore and his bitch Spaceexwife got spacecustody.

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 16:51 on May 13, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

I just tried this for the first time tonight after getting it months ago in a steam sale, and played the first mission for a few minutes. It seems like I have to juggle a ton of poo poo all at the same time, but occasionally things just happen and I lose. I guess its back to the WHY? section of the steam list.

They're also selling it for over $10 despite having all those spoilers in the original flash game from what I remember. So you're basically paying to play an expanded version of the flash game (which sucked).

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
FFXIV end game raids.

Yes, they're end game right now so of course they're going to be difficult and require teamwork. No, I don't think having 5+ phases for one fight that goes on longer than 20-30 minutes with a billion mechanics is fun, nor is it challenging other than getting good at playing the mmo equivalent of simon says.

For example, in one raid T9 you have a billion things you need to worry about. Okay, so colour coded meteors drop and you have to place them in specific places. Whatever. But then the boss is also doing Aoe attacks and throwing debuffs on you that you need to manage. Oh wait, now golems got summoned and if they get too close you wipe. If they eat too many meteors you wipe. If you fart in their general direction you wipe. Now there's tonnes of dragons firing debuffs and poo poo. Oh no the dragoon farted in the direction of a dragon you're all dead, try again.

Holy poo poo I really don't like this.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

swamp waste posted:

Haha is this for real? Be among the first to become the mysterious new race, the Japanese Gender Roles

It's because nobody plays the other races except the cutesy ones like the cat people. Hyur and Rodegan are the lowest played classes, the females of those races being the worst off. Square wasn't going to create another human class when the play testers wanted the Au'Ra more. It sucks that we got them before we got the Viera though.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

iirc the way the Au Ra are designed is:

Females: Waifu material to appease to the Japanese playerbase who wants to play as innocent girls who they must protect

Males: Beefcakes to appease the testosterone filled American playerbase who have wish fulfillment fantasies of being big muscular men.

Not just for men - they tested a few races with people and the women who played wanted to play cute girls or guys who can be pretty boys. The males actually have really tiny brought in waists with huge thigh ingame compared to any other race. It's basically another case of what happened to Nier, they made something pretty bitching and badass but they thought no one in japan would play it if it had cool, older looking people in it. I mean, look at the original ideas they had for the female ones!

The curse of designs meant for mass appeal.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

drat, the in-game Au Ra are pretty lame and may as well not exist (its just humans or elves with horns on their faces. They're like Darth Maul's race without the tattoos)

But those concept art shots look loving sweet.

Focus testing is RUINING video-games.

With the exception of Roeggadyn ALL the existing races are already cute girls and prettyboys. Some variety would be nice! FFXI at least had Galka. Roeggadyn are just Galka watered down and made more human. Lalafel are the only real unique looking race.

Someday we might have these ones, so there's still hope.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Yeah, FFXIV had... a lot of issues. It was literally the old online mmo just with a new paint job on it. It was so bad they had it so when you were crafting an item, even if it was at 100% guaranteed to be high quality, it could still fail. At 100%. There were also issues with the battle system where it was trying to be turn based, but there would be up to 8 people trying to fight a boss at the same time. You'd have so many people having no idea what they were doing or waiting for the boss to shudder their way across the platform. The whole game would just start lagging out. It would get so bad that the game would take a few seconds for you to equip one single item.

It was so bad they literally destroyed the entire game and rebuilt it, even the job quests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEg8kXmifo It was kinda cool though, you gotta admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

I actually had something among those lines typed out but decided to delete it, regardless of what his complaint was he's still a fan, just saying "I don't think this would be enjoyable to many people" or "I hear many positive comments about those features, and you can always turn items off" would be a bit more friendly than that put-down; not knowing the question, though, I can only speculate.

Of course, nothing obligates the developer to be nice either.

The person asking the question was a "pro" smash player, and insisted that Sakurai should let him help him balance the game because he's played it sooooo much. He basically framed it as "you should hire me because I know your game better than you." So Sakurai shut him down with that line. Pro game players are dragging down this game.