Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've been slowly playing through Age of Mythology HD, and while it's a very fun game with a nice variety of missions that differ from the "Build a base, destroy enemy base" formula (even if it's just "Destroy X-type of building in enemy base, you usually have a few ways of pulling it off) there's one mission that just pisses me off. Tug of War, where you and the opponent are fighting over a container being pulled by two camels. The problem with the mission being that it starts under enemy control, you have next to no units and by the time you get a good-sized army built up to catch up to the box and take and hold the camels, it's almost to the enemy's base. And these camels move slowly. The mission is just a slog of "Build units and throw them at the enemy waves while hoping enough don't slip by to cause you to lose control of the camels."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

khwarezm posted:

You have the ancestors and serpents god powers at the start which you can just use on the foes at the kart and immediately retake it. You'll also resurrect the Campaign heroes, from there just spam a bunch of cheap units from your military buildings and away you go.

The problem with that is that the enemy has almost a full wave of units ready to go at the start of the mission, and the trigger for it is "if the player control the cart, begin sending waves", so while you can retake the cart right away, you have very little time to get an army built up to defend it. I beat it with axe men spam, it's just a tedious mission with little variation for how long it takes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

Apart from the fact that they always have a general idea of where you are so even if you lose them then duck through five different streets the game will spawn a patrol will still spawn and stop near you and search the area. Or if you get a 3+ Star, have fun evading the constantly respawning choppers (Even if you're on mountains and constantly sniping out their rotors, the game will summon them right in front of your eyes) if you don't have something to hide under. And of course that chopper is going to bee-line for you even if it hasn't spotted you.

They're psychic thought-crime cops that home in on your location even if they haven't seen you turn down several streets/blocks after you've lost them. You're rarely doing anything clever to escape them.
Most chases for me end up hiding behind a car parked into a corner, car riddled with bullet-holes that they shot up twenty seconds ago as I hide behind the thing blocking their LoS.

Let's not forget the side-mission where you have to pick up a truck full of drugs, which turns out was being watched by the police. Instant 3-stars which you have to lose before you can drop off the truck, you can't leave the vehicle or you'll fail the mission after a short time, and the only immediately accessible area where you can conceivably hide the truck is down by the river, which (at least when I played) they'll always, ALWAYS send 3 cars down to check from both directions shortly before the timer runs out. gently caress that game. I accidentally fired a pistol in the middle of buttfuck nowhere by the ocean, where (at least it looked like) no one was around and I got an instant 2-star rating and cops swarming from nowhere. Run into the water and swim out to sea to avoid them? Choppers with snipers and an instant 3-star rating!

There's a reason why GTAV was traded in for Mario Kart 8. gently caress the police and the overly sensitive star system.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

Bravely Default is pretty obnoxious about streetpass. The basic idea is that you have to rebuild the main character's home town. The more workers you have, the faster you can build and the more buildings you rebuild, the more gear you have access to.
But the only way to get builders is to use streetpass. So unless you happen to pass another person with a 3DS you're pretty much locked out of all the good stuff.

If you talk to the traveller, you could download 3-6 people a day through the internet. It's still stupid how long it took, but at least you didn't have to rely on passing people in the street.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

whats the chrono trigger mistake?

I'm guessing either the mistranslation of Gasper's "Someone close to you needs help" line or maybe some random NPC dialogue?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

One thing I find dragging down Super Smash Bros is there doesn't seem to be a way to easily see what moves you've unlocked for characters. It's just annoying to have to select a character, go into their customization menu and check each move to see what other moves have been unlocked for that direction.

The other annoying thing is that the badges seem a bit arbitrary. Some characters can wear certain badges of a type but not others, and there doesn't seem to be anything differentiating the badges. Some are common sense (oh, mirror dress can only be worn by a woman, makes sense. Silver sword can only be used by someone using a sword) but then you run into things like Kirby, who uses a sword for some moves and his smash, but can't equip the silver sword badge.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

I'm taking in the latest installment of the seminal Assassin's Creed series, Unity, and I was content to know it was a bug fest. I knew about the face bugs (haven't seen any), the model bugs (funny), Line of Sight bugs (annoying), and was ready to accept it all until I got to the Marquis de Sade.

His character design wasn't bad, his dialogue wasn't too provocative. It was when he sat down with what in game looks like a 14 year old drugged out of her mind that can't move and he starts kissing her arm that I got disturbed as gently caress about the people who designed this game. The memory ending freeze frame is even worse.

The Marquis De Sade was a sick, twisted motherfucker in real life. If the worst thing they do is having him kiss a drugged 14 year old, then I would count my blessings. Do you at least get to assassinate him, or did they make him a "good guy" like Machiavelli?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Sorry, you're thinking of Crusader Kings. :v:

Can... You give them their independence then immediately re-conquer them, subjugating them and putting them back under your immediate control?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Harley had actually captured and was about to kill batman when Joker let them go in B:TAS. Plus she was a trained psychologist. She isn't dumb, she's smart. Just horribly twisted from Joker talking to her.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I keep hoping that when they finish releasing the amiibo figures in waves, Nintendo says "Hey, because these figures were so popular and in such demand, we've decided to keep them around" just to see the scalpers heads explode.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Rocket jumping The entire existence of combo systems in fighting games. That's like the biggest and most well-known example of emergent gameplay.

Fixed that for you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

God damnit, are installers on CDs that actually install the game ON THE DISK too much to ask?

I'm Australian, so I still buy PC games at retail sometimes due to lovely internet and usage limits. I picked up Pillars of Eternity earlier this month, though, and despite it having a disk, despite the game clearly being on the disk, instead had an installer that was nothing more than a trigger for Steam to download the game. All 20-something GB of it.

What happens if you're not online when you try to install it? Does it kick over to "install from disk" at that point or just give you an error?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BlueKingBar posted:

Not to mention poo poo like the Nether (basically Hell) having literally no reason to go there aside from glowstone for like a year after it was released, being enormously annoying to get to. You needed at least 10 pieces of obsidian, which was created by pouring water over lava and then mining it. Mining around lava is dangerous as gently caress because you can fall in and lose your entire inventory (one of the few things that I guarantee will make anyone ragequit a single player game of all things), doubly so with water around to shove you in. Triply so because obsidian takes 15 seconds per block to mine and can only be mined with a diamond pickaxe. While a diamond pickaxe is great, diamonds are so rare that despite having 5x the number of durability (i.e. number of uses) that an iron one does, iron is so much more common and less risky to get and iron pickaxes literally do everything a diamond one does except for obsidian.

Can't you gather lava in buckets and make moulds for the obsidian portal? Or did they change that? I know you used to be able to make the portals to the Nether without diamond equipment.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dewgy posted:

It tries to flip the "serious" switch a little too often for a game that shouldn't be taken seriously. (Not disagreeing, by the way.)

That's another stupid thing from BL2, after the guy dies, you're given a quest to tell people that he's dead. Except the little girl. Who he had saved several times and had been saved by even more times. They even make a joke out of it in the trailer for one of the DLCs that no one told the little girl that he was dead.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Whips are perfectly usable in Dark Souls 2. If you want to get fancy, the Puzzling Stone Sword is a pretty good sword that's ALSO a whip.

Today, I attempted the third big boss in Bravely Default, brain guy called Chaugmar. He has a super attack which he'll do the turn after dropping an otherwise nigh-impenetrable shield. This attack is sure to wipe out my party if it hits, so I figure hey, that's exactly what the Jump ability was made for - I give everyone the Valkyrie job set and when he drops the shield, I'll have him slowed, my party hasted so I'll go first, and he can explode underneath me harmlessly.

Turns out Jump will only have characters go up in the air at the end of a turn. Always. I have no idea why they made it that way. That's the one reason to use Jump in any Final Fantasy-like game, and now I cannot avoid an easy to see coming super attack. Whyyyyy.

(cursory googling tells me that there are better Jumps that you can instead break the game with [cool balance], but I don't have those yet, I just want to Jump over one boss' attack!)

It's been awhile since I played it, but don't the characters come down at the end of the following turn? I'm pretty sure you can use Jump to go over his powerful attack, you just have to use Jump the round before. The monk's Pressure Point attack also ignores his shield, but I don't remember if it's feasible to have it at that point. Alternately, the turn he goes to use his ultimate attack, just have everyone unload all their BPs and hit him as hard as you can. If you're going to die anyways, you might as well try for it. He's weak to lightning.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

That would require knowing when he drops the shield one turn beforehand. I guess I could experiment to see it it's always after the, say, fifth turn, but it'd be really tedious and if he follows previous super attacks (loving Rusalka) it's not going to be consistent.

Special attacks go through the shield anyway and I know his weaknesses (Examine is good), so it's not going to be completely insurmountable especially as I caved and googled to see if an attack called Energy Burst is magical or not and of loving course it isn't and contrary to Rusalka's absurd Dark Flow which is a water wave which is, again, physical damage, you apparently can at least Default against it. Just need to also have shields on everyone and heavy armor and hopefully that + Default is enough to mitigate literally 3000+ damage I eat right now (Hard Mode yo).

He drops it every three turns and uses Energy Burst every 4th turn, IIRC. Honestly, out of the 4 crystal guardians, he's probably the hardest just because of how hard Energy Burst hits, but he also fires it off on a pattern.

Also... you're bitching about having to figure out the pattern of a boss despite playing Dark Souls games?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Nah the ending of Darksiders 1 is really bad, they pretty clearly ran out of time/money because the last dungeon is a real steamy pile too.

The ending for Darksiders 1 was decent for building up to a sequel. The problem is that we got a sequel that didn't build on it, and was a side story that ignored the setting from the original game. They took a setting involving Heaven, Hell and the apocalypse and ignored it for not-Norse.

The final dungeon in Darksiders 1 was pretty crap, though. And the one boss that is just riding on your horse and shooting at it for half an hour. It wasn't a hard boss, just that the only thing that hurt it was your weakest weapon.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

If you're talking about Oracle of Ages, they still pulled a ganon in the linked game.

Eeeeeh... Linked game had Twinrova masterminding everything to resurrect Ganon, only to fail and bring back a mindless beast instead. At least he wasn't secretly masterminding everything that time.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I recently got Zero Time Dilemma, and while it's interesting so far, the actual colors in the game are bland as hell. I don't know if they put a sepia filter over any scene showing characters, or just decided that bright colors are forbidden, but it's incredibly drab, especially considering how bright and colorful the character designs in the first two games were.

Also, Akane's hair and eyes were dark brown in 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, and now her hair and eyes are a light red/pink color? It would be one thing if this was someone with the same name, but they state very early on in one team's story that this is the same character from 999.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

I haven't really been following MTG too closely, but thematically the whole powerlevel thing seems a little finicky at any rate. Last edition I played was the Greece-themed one, and one set of cards in there was of literal actual gods, too. You'd be calling down the analogue of Zeus or Poseidon to wreck poo poo. And while they were functionally indestructible, they were still only about two or three times as killy as some random dude with a spear :v:

Theros (the Greek-themed set) wasn't the first time they had gods in the game either. Kamigawa (Japanese-themed set) had 5 gods as well. That being said, it also had the god of the plane itself represented... as a card that removed all creatures from the game. You can't get more "killy" than that.

Speaking of things that are dragging down Magic, that the storyline now seems to revolve around 5 specific planeswalkers as they randomly dick around the universe, and how for awhile there, they were just revisiting old settings (and not-so-old, considering Innistrad was about 4 years old at the point they revisited it), rather than paying any attention to the one-off planeswalkers they introduce each block.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Which artist started this trend anyway? Because it genuinely annoys me when people draw noses like a block of clay just glued on a face. Even worse when they start just coloring it randomly so the easiest way to identify which character is which is by the neon shape on their face.

I always just assumed it was started by the Muppets. Wasn't orange the go-to color for most of their noses?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

swamp waste posted:

Yeah I never played that because it wasn't on consoles haha. Did Thief give you nonlethal ways to take guys out, or did it just not force you to kill em?

Thief had two melee weapons, the blackjack that could knock out most people if they weren't aware of you, or piddly amounts of damage if they were aware of you (so if they found someone unconscious/dead and are looking for you, you could knock them out because they don't know if you're still around. If they had seen you and were actively chasing you or "searching" for you, they would block the blackjack from the front and only take damage from behind), and the sword, which deals damage. You also had several types of arrows (regular, explosive, knockout gas, moss, water and noisemaker) for damage. The games were geared for stealth, and actively discouraged melee combat (enemies had more HP than you, and higher difficulties actually had "No killing" as an objective)... except that Thief 1 went heavy on forced melee combat later on against monsters. Thief 2 had robots instead of monsters, and was much more focused around, you know, being a thief. Plus you could "knock out" a robot by shooting it in the boiler cover with a water arrow, dousing the fire.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never seen a portable remake of an RPG with good bonus content.

The Persona remake had the Snow Queen quest that was originally removed from the PSX version in North America, does that count?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My favorite crackpot theory about Teddie is that he's actually the main character's actual shadow/Persona, but because of the plot shenanigans that start the whole story, he's able to become friends with the party and become his own separate entity. Which leads to him getting his own shadow/persona. There was some "evidence" of this if you looked at certain scenes with a very specific interpretation in mind (The first shadow every character meets is their own, except the first Shadow the main character meets is Teddie. Crap like that)

For actual content... Breath of the Wild is too large and open-ended. I know that's an odd thing to bitch about, but I've run into a dead-end from the difficulty of everything outside of the plateau, the road to the first two towns and the immediate area around the first two towns have enemies that are massive difficulty spikes. Go down the road that Impa directs you towards? Centaur that shoots lighting arrows and can quickly chase you down. Try to go through mountains? Ice lizards and wolves. Try to explore the area around the plateau to get more towers? Fully armed and operational guardians.

Randalor has a new favorite as of 13:27 on May 18, 2017

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Polyseme posted:

Having to ensure that you have the right sort of currency in your personal inventory rather than your stash in Path of Exile despite being right there us annoying. Also, not being able to join multiple guilds.

Doesn't Path of Exile take the currency out of your stash if you don't have it on you? I've bought stuff from the vendors when I didn't have the right items in my inventory in the past without any issue.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I picked up Prey on sale and while it's a great game, there is one enemy I find infuriating to fight. Technopaths, especially the one you run into in the G.U.T.S. area. Best weapon to use against them has a tiny range, in an area where there isn't much cover and where you have floaty controls. Not to mention that there's a weaver before it as well that may still be alive when the Technopath arrives with its two corrupted engineer bots. It takes minimal damage from guns because of the armor plating, has AOE attacks and has enough HP that the awesome laser of explosions takes multiple clips to kill.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The gun with the short range that works really well on technopaths is the stungun, except that it has a tiny range of sub-10m right now. Fighting them in standard gravity isn't as much of an issue, it's more the zero-gravity speed combined with little cover makes luring it to a spot where I can abuse its massive size frustrating. I killed it, but I didn't enjoy it. Also, I don't have the skills to upgrade science weapons past the first notch yet, so the laser that causes enemies to explode is still an ammo guzzler, and I'm not sure if I found the schematic for making more ammo for it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I still play BoI from time to time, but whenever I do I'll just play Greed mode. I wish they had some option of enabling or disabling items from various expansions or that as you unlock new items and progress further in the game it locked older items, because I'm fairly certain I haven't seen most of the new items because the item pools are so bloated now and the RNG seems to love giving me items from the base game. Boy oh boy, nothing like getting Leftovers followed by Breakfast or the Heart upgrade several runs in a row!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I played 4th edition once, and from what I remember of it it seemed to be a lot better, but apparently no one liked it. :shrug:

The problem people had with 4th edition was that it wasn't 3.5 edition and either spellcasters weren't gods amongst the "common classes" (ie: non-spellcasters) or that the non-spellcaster classes got special abilities, thus spellcasters no longer felt like they were special (ie: "The warlord yells at people and it heals them? Then what's the point of playing a cleric?"). I personally really enjoyed 4th edition, because combat was always entertaining and not just "I swing my sword. Oh, I miss. I'm going for a walk while the wizard decides what spell he's going to cast to auto-win the fight".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

What nonsense bullshit is this? I wasn't aware that magic is the only form of discrete combat option, period.

"The problem people had with 4th edition was that it wasn't 3.5 edition and either spellcasters weren't gods amongst the "common classes" (ie: non-spellcasters) or that the non-spellcaster classes got special abilities, thus spellcasters no longer felt like they were special (ie: "The warlord yells at people and it heals them? Then what's the point of playing a cleric?")." I just wasn't expecting someone to prove my point in this thread.

Tunicate posted:

4e combat drags on for way too long if the GM doesn't end it personally - they should have included an oldschool morale mechanic for the monsters to just loving give up.

I've never had a fight in 4e take longer than a fight in 3e that didn't involve a spellcaster shutting down the fight with a handful of spells.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

yup, everyone who disliked 4th edition was an egomaniacal psychopath who wanted everyone to worship him as a god. Totally grounded, reasonable criticism and not stupid posing.

rodbeard posted:

My biggest complaint about 4e was that its solution to caster supremacy was to make everyone the caster.

Randalor posted:

or that the non-spellcaster classes got special abilities, thus spellcasters no longer felt like they were special (ie: "The warlord yells at people and it heals them? Then what's the point of playing a cleric?")"

Someone literally said that the melee classes were exactly like spellcasters in 4e, after I said that two complaints I had heard about 4e was that spellcasters were not all-powerful, and that non-spellcasters were allowed to have special abilities and so casters don't feel special anymore. Not sure what to tell you if you think that someone complaining about the very thing I had heard about people complaining about is stupid posing. I was responding to NachtSieger expressing surprise that people were complaining that non-casters got options in combat now by pointing out I had said that that was the common criticism earlier in the thread. I'm sorry if that somehow means that everyone who doesn't like it is an egomaniacal psychopath? I also said that the other issue people had with it was that it wasn't 3.5ed.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If I remember correctly, you don't really need to grind in DDS unless you're going after the superboss or just want to unlock items for DDS2. Or unless you've been slacking on eating enemies to get the skills faster. And if you are wanting to grind, I would suggest farming luck sources from fairies first.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sorry, I meant Pixies, not fairies. There's an area where you run into (I believe) a single Pixie who can summon High Pixies, and they're the ones that drop luck noises. As long as you can one-shot the High Pixies, the normal Pixie will hang around to summon more or cast magic at you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

My main problem with the Rocksteady Batman games isn't the writing in the main plots, but the writing in the City Stories that you unlock - they are so unnecessarily violent, so much child murder that it completely fails to shock and just becomes boring. Some of them had funny parts too, then were marred by the excessive gore. It's like they were written by a 14 year old intern.

I remember back when Superman villain Toyman killed a child in the 90's, it was treated as shocking. Nowadays, that's barely a blip on the radar. "You killed one child? Only one? Not a school full of children or even a bus, but a singular child?"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So he thought that the X,Y,Z co-ordinates were like a graph and not like a map. That's... Notch lived a very sheltered life and had never been camping or learned how to read a map?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For Prey's big twists, I sorta saw them coming. The simulation one because that's... actually, that's probably supposed to be an obvious twist to hopefully hide the other twist. But the second twist I kinda saw coming just because "the protagonist is secretly one of the monsters/killer robots/sleeper agents" is a fairly common twist in sci-fi media. I mean, I was hoping that it was going to turn out that one of the other characters was actually the experiment gone wrong, but I was kinda expecting it once the PC starts being affected by the coral.

So I guess my "things dragging games down" is just using plot twists in unimaginative ways.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Guess that's a weird theme in the BoF games then. One section of the main story in BoF2 has you shrink the whole party down so they can be injected inside a princess who has been knocked unconscious and made obese by demons of some sort. You have to travel through her body as a sort of dungeon defeating those demons in the form of random encounters until she's skinny again.

There was another one that took place inside of a whale. And some of the enemies were leaning towards "grotesque body horror" in their designs.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It’s weird that Breath of Fire 2 refers to Nina’s wings as being black (and makes it a plot point) but they are literally never black in-game. I assume it’s something to do with the questionable translation.

But... Nina's wings were purple/black in Breath of Fire 2? They're not pure black, but if they were you wouldn't be able to see any details on the wings.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Olive! posted:

https://twitter.com/NotSpeedwagon/status/981433867130359808

20 seconds of nothing after pressing the button to interact with npc.

Considering the "Hello!" and then the random "I'm glad you're safe as well", I have to wonder if it was just a case of the game was supposed to play another clip or two in between but something went wrong and the clips weren't audible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Part of me wonders if the reason the cameras default to "your character blocks half the screen" is because the higher ups want you to see the textures that they had their artists and programmers spend months on (and however much money) lovingly rendering in super high definition. Look at the texture of your characters clothing. Count the individual fibers. Look at it. LOOK AT IT! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WE SPENT WORKING ON THESE TEXTURES? LOVE THEM!

Coincidentally, I prefer playing in first person mode whenever I can because that way I can see what the gently caress is in front of me.