Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The frame story in the Assassin's Creed series. I don't care about any of these guys just let me murder some historical figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

princecoo posted:

This, exactly this. I bought Mercs 2 because the PYF little things in games had a minor derail about it, and it was like $5 on Origin.
Pretty much the first mission you do after the intro bits has you have to take out a tank thats crashed through a wall into a building you're fighting in.
There are 3 differnt QTEs to take out that tank, none of which explain a drat thing. The first one, the foot, took me like a dozen tries to figure out, with each failure resulting in the tank driver shooting me in the stomach, (for zero damage by the way) then I'd fall off the tank and have to do it all again. The foot, by the way, means "jump", so hit the jump key. Not that it's explained ever. The next was a fist, which after only 2 or 3 tries I figured was the melee button. The 3rd I forget what it was, but overall the entire experience sucked.

I started that derail. I loved the first game then EA took over and 2 went to poo poo.

They took all the random elements out so whenever you started the game you hear the same character say the same thing and drive past the same battle where the same truck explodes right on schedule.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm convinced this street pass stuff is basically designed for people who live in Tokyo and everyone else can just deal with it. I thought Devil Survivor for 3DS had a nice solution. Street pass stuff was also accessible with play coins, which you earn by walking around with your 3DS whether you pass anyone or not.

Bravely Default is pretty obnoxious about streetpass. The basic idea is that you have to rebuild the main character's home town. The more workers you have, the faster you can build and the more buildings you rebuild, the more gear you have access to.
But the only way to get builders is to use streetpass. So unless you happen to pass another person with a 3DS you're pretty much locked out of all the good stuff.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't understand why game developers feel the need to make text so small. This is a problem in a lot of games but I'm especially annoyed at GTA V. Why do you have to read texts on a phone that takes up only like 1/64 of the screen?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I've heard a LOT of it depends on how you set up the sensor bar and calibrate it. If you get it set up right, it works excellently.

I guess I set mine up properly because I thought RE4 was a blast on it. The one problem I had was the big neon green and red reticle was obnoxious and took me out of the game completely.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

In my opinion Skyrim would have been 500 times better if it had gotten rid of like 90% of the dungeons. They created this big and beautiful world with dozens of cities but didn't really fill them with that much content. Instead the game expects me to wander trough dozens of copy&paste caves and catacombs. :argh:

I actually think Skyrim would be better if they removed the minor cities and moved those characters and building just outside of the hold capitals. It would give the remaining cities a much more realistic feeling of urban sprawl and make the rest of the world seem more untamed and dangerous.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Rockstar also doesn't understand "show, don't tell." Really, Niko? the war changed you? Maybe you could show that instead of just announcing it to whomever you're talking to.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The gameplay in the Dead Space series seems to rely on the fact that the player should be panicking and burning through his ammo needlessly. So why is it that enemies tend to pop out of grates on the other end of long corridors? They give you way too much time to react and line your shots up nicely.

Really, it's hard to stay frightened when every single enemy just roars and charges at you head on. Maybe they should've introduced a monster that stalks you from the shadows and strikes when you least expect it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Basically, pausing is for lame-rear end scrubs who can't handle videogames. 'Oh sorry that you want to put things on hold at your convenience you pansy gently caress. Why don't you go play with a light switch, I think that's more your level?' :smuggo:

Content: I bought Skullgirls because I don't really play fighting games that much and it seems good and I like anime. :buddy: But, in a game that it would actually help to have one, there's no diagram for what button is what kick or punch [There's three of both] and when you turn on the setting to show what buttons you're pressing it doesn't have the icons pop up on them either.

Japanese fighting games do this for some dumb reason. I couldn't get into Street Fighter IV because instead of A,B,B,X it would say High Punch, Low Punch, Low Punch, High Kick. My brain just couldn't parse it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Is it just me, or is the mouth flapping in Alien: Isolation really bad? Some of the cutscenes give me crazy Godzilla vibes.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I loved New Vegas; Old World Blues, but holy poo poo did it do some annoying things.

The soundtrack is repetitive. Often times a track would end and then play again. And then they added that song that sounds like a funeral dirge, Which doesn't fit the general tone.

The dialogue is long winded, especially the 20 minute exposition dump at the beginning.

Also, gently caress the nightstalkers. Why are there so many goddamn nightstalkers?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And they couldn't think of any reason to motivate every other character in the game other than "the gubmint is bad", it's almost funny how almost everything in the game winds up being blamed on the government.

A lady in Undead Nightmare even blamed the zombies on the government. Although, I think it was meant to be taken as a joke given how much they beat you over the head with it in the main game.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

I know in New Vegas if you reload a save after gambling, there's an "anti-cheating" timer that prevents you from playing the games again for something like 30 seconds or a minute. Which is just a minor annoyance and not enough to prevent anything so I don't know why they bothered.

NV also did that with hacking. If you back out of the hacking minivans and try to access the computer again, the game would make the login "cutscene" unskippable. Which I guess is easier than making hacking more interesting/ less punishing.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

slingshot effect posted:

The thing dragging Inquisition down for me is that despite playing on a huge tv I still can't read half the codex/journal/book/etc flavour text things when they pop up on the screen because the font size is so dang small.

For some reason, every game had to have to tiniest font the instant high def game console came out. Dead Rising is infamous for it. GTA V is really bad about it too.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In Mass Effect 2 Shepard is forcibly recruited by Cerberus, an avowed human supremacist terrorist organization. The Illusive Man provides you with your own personal assistant, Kelly Chambers. Her reason for joining Cerberus is something along the lines of "Well, my sister runs a dog shelter, but that doesn't mean she hates cats." I feel like a more appropriate analogy would be "My sister thinks dogs should run everything and blows up cat shelters." In fact, all the Cerberus employees on the ship are portrayed as pretty decent people who think Cerberus is better than the Alliance just because they "get things done."

I wouldn't mind it so much if the game ever gave you the option of calling them on their bullshit logic.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In every Mass Effect game, you fly around the galaxy picking up a team of ultimate soldiers, assassins, mercenaries and off brand jedi. You're often getting dropped of in the middle of massive firefight against literal killing machines. So how does Shepard handle this? By only taking two dudes with him. What are the rest of his team doing meanwhile? Just sitting on their hands? I understand why this is gameplay wise, but if I was getting dropped off in a war zone you best know I'd come correct.

Some general ME3 complaints.

-I thought it was cool that the Rachni you saved in ME1 came back as Reaper forces. It seemed like needing to be the hero had terrible consequences you couldn't have forseen. Then I read that if you killed the queen in 1, the Reapers just say "gently caress it" and clone the queen anyways. The main brunt of Biowares hype machine was that you would have to make tough choices that would effect the whole series, but they always found a way to cop out.

-James is a massive tool and is designed solely to appeal to some oorah military fetishists.

-Reapers chasing you around in the galaxy map. I don't understand how this was intended to add to the entertainment value. It's just frustrating.

-I like the multiplayer, but it really needs more game modes.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Len posted:

I recently picked up FFX HD Remaster and I had forgotten just how bad the clothing in this game is. One character is wearing assless legwear with a thong. Who decided that was a good call?

I believe I heard it from a Let's Play where they said Tidus looks like a five-year old who's mom let him dress himself for the the first time.

It's funny because I remember Square saying they improved the characters outfits for XIII and they still put Vanille in a fur half-skirt and made Hope dress up like a soccer mom.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Skyrim is one of my favorite last gen games. Just wanted to say that.

On topic, the AI in Farcry 4 is so awful that it becomes hilarious. One time I stumbled across some Golden Path members who were just chilling when they heard a gunfight in the distance. They tried to roll out and help their buddies, but decided that their time could be better spent driving in a circle for seriously two minutes.

Speaking of which, the constant random gunfight the two factions get into get reeeaaalll repetitive after about an hour. The country has been in a civil war since the 80's yet the constancy of the skirmishes would suggest that they should've run out of dudes a long time ago.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Games that rely on auto-save should be the type that have no missable content whatsoever, like a puzzle game or a platformer.

This actually just hosed up the end of Farcry 4 for me. Pagan Min gave me the choice to either shoot him or take them to the temple and scatter Ajay's moms ashes together. I ended up accidentally shooting Min while trying to figure out how NOT to.

Then the game autosaved after the credits. I like the game, but no way am I replaying the entire game just for another cutscene.

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Mar 26, 2015

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So I've been replaying the new Tomb Raider and on my play through, I liked that the characters had a sense of history with each other. Upon replaying it though, does it really make sense that Lara gets to bring her dad's buddies along with her? She's a grad student work under a world famous archaeologist. Why did she get to pick the crew?

I'm assuming that her dad was also an archaeologist, then why did he train her to use guns and bows?

Also, Roth repeatedly reminds her to trust her instincts, but we never really see her doubting them.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

If you've linked your account to the Rockstar Social Club you can go to their website and it has an interactive list of what you've collected.

I've been messing around with Prototype 2 and its kind of stupid how boring the Green and Yellow zones are when compared to the Red. Green and Yellow are generic city while Red is chock full of infected and buildings that have fallen over and all kinds of interesting environments.

Is Prototype 2 worth picking up though? I had fun with the first game, but not enough to justify full price.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Whoa hey sorry I affronted you, I've never watched any Star Trek or Star Wars stuff so I'm only guess/ assuming that they're the ones that don't have emotions.

Yeah, I know :thejoke: :v: etc

See Star Wars. You're posting on a thread about video games so don't act like you're too cool to see it.

For content, do any RPGs besides the Elder Scrolls use a skill XP system? The way it works is if you swing your sword a lot, your sword based skills level up. If you cast fireballs, your destruction magic goes up.

I remember in Morrowind my acrobatics skill was so high that I could jump clear over some buildings.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't know if this has been covered, but the constant rain in Breath Of The Wild is super irritating. I'm trying to light all the blue torches and I have to wait out the rain all the drat time. It makes climbing difficult too.

On top of that, it makes the game dreary. I just want all those nice vibrant colors.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

For villains, the Institute didn't really seem to have any big ambitions. Sure they were going to continue occasionally kidnapping people for undefined reasons, but you're already saving whole settlements from Super Murants as an afterthought. At least try to nuke Diamond City or something.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Adult Illiteracy posted:

Playing BotW - three sacred beasts beaten, reliable mid-tier gear and over a dozen heart containers, I'm STILL pleasantly surprised when I don't get one-shot by complete random mooks. Bonus points if they hit me from off screen. Fortunately I can continue to wander aimlessly without any sense of where the town I need to find is due to fantasy geography, at least until I run across that guy that likes Korok seeds and has no indication of where he is on the map. I THINK I still like this game, but it feels like it doesn't really care if I do. At least I never have to do that desert boss again.

Did you find the Fairy Fountains to upgrade your armour?

Also the big korok eventually winds up in Kokiri Forest and stays there the rest of the game.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I unlocked 119 shrines in Breath Of The Wild. The very last shrine I found could only be unlocked if you stood on a pedestal during a blood moon, which never happened despite me waiting by the fire for about 30 nights in a row. I was this close to getting the Tunic of the Wild.

Also I didn't get the true ending because I went to the throne room while I was looking for the Hyrule Castle memory.

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 07:56 on May 12, 2019

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Anyone else play Shakedown: Hawaii? I really hate having to click on one property, manually buy every multiplier, then scroll down to the next property, manually buy every multiplier and so on. At least give me a button tgat applies all unlocked multipliers to each of my properties.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I just beat Breath Of The Wild again and I noticed the three dragons don't seem like they were fully.... implemented? Like outside of cleaning the blight off the ice dragon they only really exist to drop rare resources. It's odd for a game to have something so attention grabbing and not make it a central focus or give a bigger reward for interacting with it. Like maybe do a big quest and each dragon gives you a piece of a cool outfit or something.

No really a complaint, just an odd design choice.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want to gently caress them.

Morally Inept alt spotted

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I just finished Red Dead Redemption 2. The writing and performances are fantastic and oftentimes genuinely moving. The landscapes are amazing.

however the open world feels empty. Outside of the occasional stranger encounter I didn't have much of an excuse not to just head to the next story mission. Especially when you get to the parts of the map featured in RDR 1, where even the towns don't let you interact with anything. It all just feels like a museum, look but don't touch.

I thought hunting would add some variety to the mix until I realized the upgrades don't really add any significant benefit.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm playing Baldur's Gate for the first time and I'm really enjoying it. My biggest gripe with it is when you're in an area with a lot of traps. The damage traps are annoying but the web traps really suck. A lot of times you set them off when there's no enemies around to at least make it tense, so you just gotta wait for a full minute until the game lets you move again.

Maybe there's an easier way to do things but the only way I know to handle it is to move my party a few feet at a time and stop for a few seconds to let my thief detect traps and sometimes they still won't spot them.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

If bamboo strikes weren't extremely necessary I would avoid them altogether. I don't have the hand eye coordination to hit all 6 buttons correctly in the split second it gives you.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Well I just bought it yesterday and I haven't gotten the hang of combat yet, so I need as much resolve as I can get right now.

orcane posted:

You can disable the time limit in accessibility options.

This helps a lot. Thanks!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So I finally bought the ps4 edition of GTA V and I'm disappointed that the updates added barely anything new to the single player mode. I didn't expect it to dramatically change the game but I would have liked new activities and guns and clothing options. This isn't Rockstar's fault but my Wi-Fi is way too spotty to play online so all those cool new things are locked off from me.

Also the new songs they added to Vinewood Boulevard Radio suck.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Controller layouts weren’t super standardized til like 2012ish, but jump being on y is just baffling. It’s been on A for most games for decades, it’s probably the first example of controls being standard from game to game and genre to genre.

In Morrowind jump was mapped to the left trigger for some ungodly reason.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I just finished AC Valahlla and Odyssey. What both of these games need is a definite endpoint. Some final cutscene that wraps up all narrative threads. I just finished Odyssey and it deprived me of that final satisfying closing of the book moment. Just gimme a moment where these characters I've spent dozens of hours following have their final say so I can move on. Instead I get 3 different wrap ups that feel like a let down.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

They actually seem to have realized this and that's why Ethan is so drat interesting. They outright refuse to show his face in promotional materials but you can see it in RE7 plain as day if you look at reflective surfaces and he's just... a dude. Just looks like some rear end in a top hat who works in an office building. For once, the blank slate normal guy protagonist in a horror game actually is just a normal guy with nothing interesting about him until the game's events and that's so refreshing in a weird way because they treat him like he's a fuckin badass. Them refusing to show his face and making his eye glow red and evil in the Ethan Must Die gamemode thing is their acknowledgement that yeah he is just Player 1 who likes Family and is Middle Class Normal Guy In Extraordinary Circumstance... but so? Why can't that be the thing about him that's interesting?

edit: Chris is somebody, do you like him?? NOBODY likes Chris and he's also in RE8

Someone on Twitter said Ethan is what happens if you gave Griffin McElroy a gun and it makes me laugh whenever I think about it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

They made Anderson look like a potato

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

a bunch of staff posing with Dragon Age tattoos who later got laid off.

They wanted to commemorate working on loving Dragon Age 2???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I was talking to Kelly Chambers in ME2 and I got renegade points for telling her that no, I don't think Cerberus is good. Apparently it's not very paragon to be impolite to a bunch of racist terrorists.