Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Oliver Madly posted:

Has anyone ever liked mining in Harvest Moon games? It's always the same repetitive, time consuming bullshit over and over again. It's even worse in Sunshine Islands because there aren't better items that negate stamina usage, just the Wonderful Stone system that's impossible to predict unless you reload your save dozens of time. Also 255 floors? Are you loving kidding me?

Pfft, 255 floors is nothing compared to the torments that were the third and fourth mines of Harvest Moon: DS.
999 and 65,535 respectively, and the only way to complete both the item list and the enemy list in the fourth mine was to go down until you managed to encounter the Evil MC, who was only on floors that ended with 000. Plus, there was a chance you'd have to reset to get the Wonderful Stones, which were only on set floors, with only one stone per floor and with no guarantee you'd even get one.
Plus they were useless until you gathered every single one at which point you got a lousy wish from the Goddess. But if you wanted to marry her, this was a loving requirement.

At least the cursed tools and accessories were slightly less of a chore, but if you equipped them they became stuck in the slot and had to be blessed to be removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Oliver Madly posted:

That sounds horrific. I thought about picking up a used copy after I "finished" SI but never mind.

It's not compulsory to "finish" the game, inasmuch as the game can be finished. It's only really required to woo the Harvest Goddess or finish the shipping list, since the wishes are poo poo anyway and since the Goddess is a terrible wife herself only sadists attempt it.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Really are any of the Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games any good at all?

Depends on what kind of games you like, really. I actually really liked HM: DS, because if you ignore the mining bullshit it's a relaxing game. A New Beginning is also quite relaxing, but has a lot of things you can do. It's like a more focused Animal Crossing, with the option of romance.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I finally got a WiiU, and I'm enjoying playing WW, but I'm a little disappointed that they didn't implement the ability to write nots on your map like PH did. There's a bunch of interesting facts that the Fishmen tell you, and I always forget them but I refuse to keep a pile of bait just to hear whatever funny or useful thing they have to say again.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Why the heck did they get rid of the tingle tuner. They had the Wii U tablet!

Because now they have Tingle Bottles! So you can spend ages collecting them only to find out that instead of high-quality boss pictures to turn into figurines, you have a bunch of snaps of Zelda/Medli/Mila with people saying how much said female character wants to gently caress them/Link.
I wish I was joking, I really do.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

vainman posted:

Its been awhile but I thought the point of the horse in Skyrim was that you could fast travel with one even when you're over-encumbered

Pretty much. I am almost 100% certain that's why they added the summon horse, so you could lumber out of a dungeon then teleport to town without staggering down a hill.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It depends what difficulty you're playing on. I gave up on my 1999 Mode/Scavenger playthrough because of the handyman you have to fight during the huge battle at Fink's factory, they have so much HP that I used up all the RPG and Volley Gun ammo in the arena and drained all my mana using Murder of Crows to stun it and it still didn't die, and since when you die in that mode enemies come back at full health it was impossible to beat.

I managed it by completely going against instinct and getting upclose and personal. I think it took four crows and a lot of bullets to the heart though.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I hate how long it takes Link to get up after eating poo poo from a Guardian blast or being swung by a Hinox. Get up you lazy gently caress! I need to kill them and/or flee! Also when he's flung off a cliff and just slides down.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The creators of Fallout 4 seem convinced that fighting ghouls in cramped spaces is super fun, and I want to do a lot of it.

Companions also seem to think that ghouls in tight spaces are the best thing ever, and seem to like to corral me closer to the action. loving Codsworth.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Ghouls are the reason I constantly hammer the VATS button. Also gently caress Glowing Ones with a vengeance, how dare you sprout up from behind cover and resurrect all the loving ghouls I just killed!

E: gently caress Radscorpions too, motherfuckers like to pop up near safes that are strategically placed in the wilderness and scare my little baby self.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

im pooping! posted:

vats the ghouls in the leg and they collapse and stop walking. this too works for things like radscorpions and deathclaws

Honestly the best technique. And the only reason I allow Glowing Ones to do their thing, because crippled Ghouls that are resurrected will stand in place and look around like the idiot bitches they are.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

On Switch you need to tap X before the "press + to skip" option comes up. Also there's a glitch where if you get multiple blood moons in a row you need to fully reset the game. I think I had three cutscenes in a row almost before I found out? Hellish, especially when I'd just beaten a tough enemy and it respawned almost right next to me.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Unrelated, the #1 annoying me about Animal Crossing is that nothing auto-stacks in my inventory. If I'm going around picking every cherry off every tree, having to go into my inventory to make a stack of 9 every other tree is annoying as poo poo.

Oh jesus, tell me about it. The easiest way to make bank early on is to shake all the trees daily and catch the bees. Problem is, cash, bugs and beehives don't stack, so you have to make sure you have enough space before you go shaking that next tree, or you're going to get stung.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Finally buckled and got Fallout 3 on steam with the intention of modding and playing it. Jesus wept. Fallout 4 has spoiled me for ease of play, and Skyrim has spoiled me for ease of modding. After battling with the potato-faced bastard for hours, I got it to run acceptably, but it just feels so janky and bad. I wanted to play through it then get New Vegas (since everyone sucks NV's dick) but ugh. I guess it's just a case of adjusting to the controls...

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

scarycave posted:

Yeah, there's a pretty big difference between going from 4 to 3. I really like Fallout 3, but it definitely has problems, a lot of which got fine tuned for New Vegas mainly stuff like the plot, gameplay, and characters - though there are a few characters in the game that are pretty memorable though, most of them are just like - do this quest and never speak to me again or followers not really having that much of a personality (except dogmeat and Fawkes). You also really won't give a poo poo about the main antagonist either.

I do find what 3 has over 4 and maybe New Vegas is that quests don't really feel as tedious (mainly due to having a lot less loading screens, especially compared to the Strip in New Vegas) and that I personally enjoyed the ruined city feel of 3 over the western vibe in new vegas because it hit closer to home for me.

I really would recommend you get a mod that keeps followers essential though, making your dog immortal is one of the biggest boons new vegas brought to the table.

Oh, I plan on making sure my followers are essential. I use FO4 followers as meat shields in big fire fights so I'd end up with a trail of corpses otherwise.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

I loving hate the motion control tilting puzzles in Breath of the Wild. So far I've completed two of them, and both times I managed to cheese the puzzle and cheat because the actual solution was frustrating as hell.
There's one where you have to tilt a ball through a maze but the camera never adjusts angle, so as you tilt it towards the top of the maze, you can't see what the gently caress you're doing at all.
I just flipped the whole puzzle upside down and rolled the ball along the flat underside. :colbert:

Also I'm playing on the Wii U and using the Pro Controller, so every time I have to do one of these I have to switch back to the game pad. It's a pain in my rear end because I try not to use it much, it's not very comfortable in my tiny baby hands :blush:

It's awful on the Switch as well, I ended up flicking the ball into the air and miraculously it landed in the right place. Quite a few of the puzzle shrines are objectively a pain in the rear end actually. That Stasis one where you have to fire a ball across a room sucks if you want to get the extra item at the end.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

What would be the point of one beer doing nothing though? I don't want to sit and press A to drink beer my way through two pitchers for my character to get drunk. I can do that on my own in real life.

Press X to loving CHUG

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Lara crofts bow in Tomb Raider 2013 is really weak and not as good as the guns imo

This is generally the same for bows and guns in real life, so technically it's a very realistic game.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Kruller posted:

Run past it. For real. You can get away from everything, even Lynels.

Flinging myself off mountains to evade Guardians and Lynels is practically my second job at this point.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Man up and parry all the Guardians' lasers already.

Why parry when you can kill them near instantly with ancient arrows? :smug:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I started up SR4 on my laptop and since unlocking the super jump/super sprint there's literally no point in compulsively collecting vehicles like I did in 3 because I can launch myself across the map holy poo poo this is the best but at the same time...

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

Good news, you can turn on the radio while on foot.

Buddy, I cranked that poo poo on the second Zinyak dumped me into the world.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Something that is dragging Saints Row 4 down is that resuming a saved game puts you back at the point you were at when you last completed a quest, not where you saved your game. This might be because I immediately hosed Kinzie off and went trawling for those data cluster things and claimed all the towers (hey, don't give me the option if I'm not supposed to, game. Also found a kickass spaceship on top of one) instead of completing all her tutorial tasks.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

The thing I dislike about botw is that fairies don't respawn until you use them, and I'm pretty sure the Great Fairy near Tarrey doesn't spawn healing fairies at all which is garbage. I don't want to have to keep running to springs and slowly chasing these flighty little assholes!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I really enjoy SR4, and I think the superpowers were an excellent addition.

However, when two enemies are juggling a Telekinesis ball between themselves to smash into me every time I try and hit one of them in the superpowers arena missions it becomes significantly less fun. The TK Mayhem missions were easy to cheese, just pick up a ball and run full pelt into cars and pedestrians, but when I'm in a condensed space with literal flaming enemies who actively prevent me from fighting back it makes me frustrated! Especially since progression is locked behind this, the easiest of the three loving arena fights.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I love Yomawari, really, I do. But gently caress me if it isn't nearly impossible to progress in any meaningful way without either dying endlessly and being teleported home to try again, or resorting to a guide. Sure, I don't lose any items when I die, but then I have to go all the way back across the loving map, dodging enemies that can usually outrun me. And you really do need to use a guide to get all of the items because some are just loving obscure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Since we're on the subject of horses, they're one of the few things I never really understood in Skyrim. Outside of their ability to make physics their bitch by climbing near-vertical slopes, they don't really do anything terribly useful. Beyond a few rare instances where I needed to cross a lot of empty space in a hurry, I could either just fast travel to my destination, walk and enjoy the environment (and inevitably run into yet another group of necromancer punks who needed their skulls caved in:black101:), or I was going somewhere a horse wasn't suited for.

Plus they would usually get roped into combat and die in like five seconds anyway. And my companion couldn't even ride along with me.

The only good Skyrim horse is the DLC summonable bone horse you could use to make the carry limit your bitch.