Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tiggum posted:

Going on a rampage in Saints Row IV just isn't as fun as it should be. Your notoriety goes up way too fast and the enemies who show up at higher notoriety levels are kind of a pain to deal with. The police are the most fun to fight since they just have ordinary cars and guns and can really only rely on outnumbering you, which means that you can take out groups of them together. But you barely notice they exist because they almost instantly get replaced by aliens, and the on-foot and ground-vehicle aliens don't last long either. As soon as the portals start showing up you start getting smaller numbers of more powerful enemies and a whole lot of flying vehicles. And even if you're enjoying that, it takes hardly any time for a warden to show up. During actual quests it all works very nicely and the different enemy types add some variety, but outside of them they just don't work very well.

If they just had the police show up for like 3-4 notoriety levels instead of the first one or two, maybe it'd feel a little more satisfying. Also Marauders are the worst things to fight and they kind of kill any rampage momentum for me the minute they show up.

It might just be my rig (I doubt it), but Sleeping Dogs has been a nightmare for me to run. It started off crashing without any kind of message after the introductory level and the fix for that is running in Win 98/ME compatibility mode, and now it's incredibly stuttery whenever I'm driving or even walking through town sometimes. Driving several kilometers somewhere is usually a pretty boring slog, but it's really bad with stuttering audio. Also I'm not fond of the missions where you have to drive in general because I always end up hitting something and losing cop EXP for it. I get that I shouldn't be causing property damage, but is it really fair to me to deduct that when I'm told to go ram someone off the road? Or give me a penalty when someone else decides to drive into me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sleeping Dogs again. A friend loaned me a PS3 copy so I can play stutter free and I really enjoy it, but it kinda sucks getting into the water and not knowing where you can get out and having to swim for 5 minutes to find a low enough ledge to climb. A warp-to-shore button like what Saints Row has would've been much appreciated.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

biosterous posted:

Being unable to skip radio songs in Sleeping Dogs, especially since the radio setlist is buggy and sometimes keeps playing the same three songs over and over again. I'm tired of Parlour Mob, play the Machine Head songs already! :argh:

This might just be anecdotal coincidence, but I've found that if you switch stations and then go back to the station you're on, it'll switch songs. You really should just be listening to Yellow Fever as much as you can though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

This reminds me of the playlist feature in the Saint's Row series. You can customize your radio station, but you have to manually adjust the order that the songs play in, which is annoying. I just want to listen to my music on shuffle, Saint's Row! (maybe they fixed this in IV. I haven't played it.)

They haven't.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

Outside of Bioshock, what games actually used Pipe Dream as a hacking game?

It's not a hacking minigame by any means in No More Heroes 2, but it's the minigame they picked for the pipe work minigame so it was pretty fitting, had great music and was generally pretty relaxing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I love The Wonderful 101 from the rewarding and stylish gameplay to the writing to the fantastic bosses and even the theme song. I don't enjoy playing through excessively long levels it has though. Maybe I'm just bad and the levels aren't nearly as long if I'm competent, but Operation 006-B took me like an hour and I was just so drained by the end.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why would you ever be apologetic for knocking out EVA for that section? Knocking her out prevents or greatly slows her stamina drain so you don't have to constantly feed her.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Losing cops in Sleeping Dogs is a thing that is really annoying for me to do, especially on that awful and windy highway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

You don't lose cops in sleeping dogs. You ram them into oblivion.

Really hard to do that on a narrow path with a big hulking police van.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

I understand it's hard to slow down, move in a direction, and then press x/square and towards the car in question twice, but don't blame the police van. The only real issue with outrunning/outramming/using shortcuts to elude the cops is that it's drat near impossible without wrecking your pristine and awesome ride.

The problem I was having was that the van was too big to let the police pass by because the road was too narrow and the AI didn't let them go by. Also that fuckin van is rear end to control.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

beato posted:

Shoot their tires out. :ssh:

You don't think I would've if I had a gun?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's cool how Wonder Pink's entire character is flashing her panties at you, using a whip, being :airquote:18:airquote:, and being emotionally unstable.

Her main defining feature is her anger towards things that annoy her, of which there are a lot of. For the most part though, it's somewhat entertaining. The fanservicy bits literally don't exist past her introduction.

Please don't read this next part if you haven't finished the game.

What annoys me about her, and Red too, somewhat, is how they both bend over backwards for Luka when he's kind of an unruly brat who does jack poo poo to help their cause and even nearly dooms it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Titan Quest loving rules. But it kills me, utterly, that when I tab to another window, the game pauses. I want to tab away and gently caress around on SA or something for a minute and come back, but when I do that TQ certainly hasn't loaded anything or whatever.

Better than loving Skyrim, which almost drat near collapses on itself if you want to alt-tab. :argh: Every PC game should have a borderless fullscreen option.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mr E posted:

I know you shouldn't have to get a mod to have borderless windowed, but get OneTweak to fix alt-tabbing and give you a bit better performance.

I dunno, I've tried a bunch of borderless fullscreen mods and they all do weird things to the window, like Sleeping Dogs always extended past my resolution of 1920x1080 despite me setting it to that specific resolution, or Civ V not registering mouse clicks in the right place.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

People saying "This game has motion controls??? (dumps game in garbage)" is dragging games in general down.

e: oh hello new page. Uhhh, Kirby Triple Deluxe forces you to drop your power and use the new Hypernova ability in certain areas. I just want to be a ninja all the time.

At least hypernova doesn't drop your ability? You get it back after the hypernova section and generally I find them pretty fun to play though! Sometimes, they feel like they take a while because of how long some of the sucking in animations are.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

PhrenzZ posted:

Just wait until Yukari chooses to cast Magaru instead of healing your MC on the final phase of the final boss and causes you to redo the entire hour or so long fight. Multiple times.

This is why you pay close attention to what the final boss is doing and then change tactics as soon as it puts up one of its barrier moves.

A lot of the problems people have with the game can usually be mitigated with proper use of tactics, but it's kind of a dumb system. I can see where they were going with it, trying to make your team feel like actual teammates that get more efficient the better your relationship with them, but that doesn't actually translate to a fun gameplay experience.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Any game where you have to unlock stuff pisses me off. Obviously not games where the only way to play is through the story and things become available as you progress, but games in genres like racing, wrestling, etc. where you have to do the lovely story mode to access the stuff you actually want in the other modes. Particularly if multiplayer is the main draw but you have to play through single player first to be able to use the stuff you want when playing against friends.

You usually get one character per race and it counts if you do it multiplayer, so it's not entirely tedious in Mario Kart. It still sucks that it's a randomized unlock.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

It's probably because the xbox gamepad works great out of the box, but has weird ergonomics and it's unpleasant to use to begin with. The DS3 is better designed and has an actual dpad, but it's got those weird squishy triggers and was designed for a small child's hands. Also it's not all fancy plug and play and poo poo like the xbox gamepad is.

With a little effort, you can get a DS4 plugged in and working as a 360 controller on PC.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mennonites Revenge posted:

In the first boss fight of The Wonderful 101, there is an unskippable, 30-second "power up" cutscene before the loading screen for the battle proper. You have to watch it every single time you retry the stage, which, because this is a Platinum game, turns out to be a lot. Later boss battles shorten this sequence to maybe 10 seconds, and often occur right before the actual battle, so they're probably masking a loading time, but that's clearly not true in the first boss' case.

You're right, it is masking a load time. I have no idea why the first instance isn't skippable, but at least its flashy and more entertaining to look at than a load screen?

Edit: Wait, there's an actual load screen for the first boss? :psyduck:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

What Sleeping Dogs should've done for the finale is just tell you to do an environment kill. It's an established thing so you'll grab the guy and then look around for something red and then realize what the only thing is.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

HairyManling posted:

Mario Kart 8 why do your battle levels occur on the racing courses? This is a terrible idea. How did anyone over at Nintendo think this was better than arenas?

I wouldn't be surprised if they rushed the last few months of development to get it out faster and give people a reason to buy the Wii U and couldn't finish battle tracks in time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Croccers posted:

Isn't there two levels of slowmo when driving? A general one when you pull your gun out (which you can use to abuse driving records I believe), then an even slower one as you aim over someone/car tires.
I remember dubstep wubbing if you wiggle the mouse over someone hanging out of a car.
Also if you're just trying to get through a driving shootout and ignore scores, just tire-shot every day. Nearly every car in the game action-movie flips from 1-2 tire shots.

It's not so much they action-movie flip, so much as it is they go flying to the moon and completely out of the way. Though, if you only do that on missions, that's guaranteeing yourself a low Triad rank because you're not causing enough damage to your enemies.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I can't pause Dark Souls. Look I know it's an effect you're going for but my dog needs to take a poo poo right now and telling her there's guys with spears jabbing me is not going to be much relief. Oh whoops sorry whoever's calling me on the phone, but I can never feel truly safe, which apparently means I must sever all connections with other lifeforms.

Is there a way to simulate pausing? You can still be a hard RPG even if I can interrupt a fight to take a leak.

Quit to the title screen. The game will resume exactly where you left off, unless you were fighting a boss, in which case, you'll be dumped outside the boss room and have to redo the fight. This won't work if you're currently in a multiplayer session though so if someone wants to invade you, you're poo poo out of luck til one of you gets killed or their connection attempt fails.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Trauma Team: path of honor path of honor path of honor path of honor

At least that's just dialog and doesn't impact the gameplay whatsoever :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

At least you didn't hear ROCK SOLID every 10 seconds of a 20 minute procedure.

ROCK SOLID.

On the other hand, orthopedics is not controlled with a completely bullshit control scheme and has some pretty kickass music backing it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alteisen posted:

It also makes Wei look like a huge creeper when you get a quest to confront one of the girls you can date cause she's cheating on you.

It can also make Wei look absolutely batshit insane if you decide to murder the girl at the end of the quest and dump the body in the ocean. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

One thing I hate about The Last of Us (very minor spoiler about enemy encounters you never once have a humans AND zombies fight. The game is just begging for a battlefield of bandits vs. clickers setpiece but it never happens.

I thought something like that was in the DLC?

I could be wrong though, but I do remember seeing a bit where there are enemy humans trying to defend themselves against clickers or something and you're kinda just in the middle and have to try to get out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix is a treasure that's only marred by the fact that I can't watch Luigi pull off moves during the songs because I'm too busy focusing on the step chart.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

MGS3D has it as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

I love Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance so much that I may need to seek counseling, but I'm not afraid to admit that the parry/dodge mechanic feels a little janky. This sucks, because so far it's the only thing that lets me survive Revengeance difficulty.

Janky in what way?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Caphi posted:

My thing dragging a Zelda game down is that in Hyrule Warriors, whenever an enemy leader shows up - the time I most want to actually engage the combat system - the game becomes a noninteractive slog where I wait for the enemy to do their clearly marked vulnerable state (if I don't, they either take little damage or increasingly just block attacks outright) and then mash a button until it triggers my instant kill mini-cutscene. I wish they'd just let me fight.

That's kind of true in several 3D Zelda games, actually. OoT especially has lots and lots of waiting for vulnerable spots.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

All over a clip that lasts like 5 seconds as a joke. Seriously they stop even trying to play up that part of Wonder Pink's character so fast that I almost forgot she's supposed to be a model.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

Well, yeah, but then she transitions into a boy-crazy, make-up and shopping loving, hot-tempered character who constantly flirts with Vorkken, and who flies into a rage whenever someone insults her looks.

Not that it's not an awesome game, and if I had a WiiU, I'd get it; but come on.

So she's a caricature of a high school cheerleader. I mean if she were the only major female character I'd maybe understand the complaints about her characterization, but W101 also has Alice, who is strong and ends up saving the day like 90% of the time. Also, it's not like you really notice her character during the gameplay.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jordbo posted:

I don't get it, don't you feel at least a little uncomfortable with people saying sexual things about fantasy characters..? I'm not pissed off, but I think it's weird :shrug:

No? Dude there are creepy fans of literally everything. You might as well say everything you've ever enjoyed has been brought down by their creepy fans.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

He just couldn't find the heart in him to tell the artist no because he was so super hyped and enthusiastic about it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Do you have the infrared/night vision goggles (can't remember what they're called)? that makes spotting her a loooot easier.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Esroc posted:

One of the better ones? That game was ported perfectly. I have a lovely Lenovo notebook with like 4 gigs of ram, an intel "it turns the screen on and nothing else" video card, and an i3 and the game still runs at full 60fps on medium settings with the slashy option jacked up to max.

I only installed it for shits and giggles and didn't expect it to actually work. Imagine my surprise when I was hacking apart Metal Gears ten minutes later without a stutter in sight.

Ehhhhh there are some minor things like the fact that the mouse cursor always comes back for cutscenes or the fact that the game itself renders at no better than 720p and just upscales to go any higher. Aside from that though, it's a great port and goddammit people who don't have it go buy it right now it's like $6.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah seriously in the right hands, the pincer scissors can absolutely decimate some bosses, like Sam or Bladewolf, in literal seconds.

LoonShia posted:

That actually wasn't Campbell, it was an AI masquerading as Campbell who had just been infected with a virus. So it makes perfect sense that it'd say weird stuff like that.
:goonsay:

Actual weird dialogue from a Metal Gear game: "So, if I ate these mushrooms, they'd recharge my batteries, right?"

Not seein what's weird about that. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

It was an Ocelot cutscene, one of the first ones.

The one where he has EVA in a chokehold? None of Ocelot's cutscenes in that game were really anything to be ashamed of, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The fist fight with Liquid can be cheezed pretty hilariously if you rapidly hit him with only the first punch of your combo. The Raiden duel with Solidus is a little tricky to manage but it's good fun in the end. The CQC duel with The Boss is the best loving thing. The Liquid Ocelot fist fight is a close second though.