Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

You know what's dragging down Skies of Arcadia?

It's not on modern consoles.

Played it recently? It could stand for quite a few QoL improvements, thankfully on PC you can increase game speed to 150% in battles and that solves most of them.

Still one of the best games to ever give a sense of discovery and adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

Fallout 4's inventory system is the worst in the history of video games

Mass Effect 1 would like a word.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The hype cycle for this game was weird because Norman Reedus literally didn't even exist before Kojima revealed he was going be in Death Stranding at which point he suddenly became every nerd's all time favorite actor for a hot second.

Were you alive in the early 2000s? Because every single college aged male knew him from Boondock Saints.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I'd definitely never heard the utterance "Norman Reedus" pass any being's lips prior to the Death Stranding Hype cycle. Or since, for that matter. I don't read Entertainment Weekly cover to cover or anything though so w/e.

is this just an "lol popular culture :smug:" gimmick?

Because my parents who've never seen TWD still recognize him and know he's a famous celebrity just from the sheer cultural saturation that was The Walking Dead.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pseudohog posted:

I was loving this game, until on that one planet it turned into a platformer with a time limit (admittedly lax). Being crap at platform games, it sort of soured me on the rest of the game.

I had that too because it was the first planet I explored, until I left to go explore elsewhere while trying not to get angry. Turns out there were several other options for that planet where rushing and hoping you make it aren't required.

The only one that stayed genuinely annoying was the sand planet because it was a sprint to the bottom if you wanted to read all the lore and fact bits so you needed to have the path more or less memorized.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Outer Wilds is loving incredible and will make you mourn the fact it didn't sell 10 million copies and get every award there was because it's practically high art.

Outer Worlds is a technically finished game lacking any depth or nuance beyond "is forcing people into slavery aksually bad if the alternative is death?" and Borderlands style combat but with lovely guns and way less fun. Also surprisingly ugly for a modern AAA $60 game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It was 2:1 Paragon:Renegade in ME3 and ended up being one of the more even elements of player choice compared to things like class or gender.

Not being able to flag Wrex as alive in ME2 was one of the worst things about skipping ME1. They made it out like him being alive was only an Easter egg for ME1 players, then had him as a major cast with tons of scenes for ME3.

I know it's the same for the Kaiden/Ashley choice but they both sucked as characters overall.

Surprised Vega made it so high in playtime though. Liara and Garrus easily best buds/romance partners since the beginning but Vega always seemed kind of lame to me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RGX posted:

Going back to the Mass Effect morality system for a minute, as someone who has recently played all of them in sequence I am very curious to see whether they'll leave in the "punch a female reporter in the face because shes saying things I don't like" response for their new shiny remaster. I know they've already talked about removing the gratuitous rear end shots of the female characters, which is....good I guess? Why were they in there in the first place? You get a character giving you some dialogue about goals for the next mission and technology they're researching and BOOM, camera goes right for the rear end and lingers. Which teenage boy thought that was acceptable?

Really does make Bioware look like a bunch of creeps, its a space opera, not a misogyny simulator. The reporter dialogues are particularly egregious as she's being very pressing in a way that is definitely going to make players pick the renegade option in the hope Shepard tells her to gently caress off, which would be fair. Straight up sucker punching her is nowhere near as funny as the developers think it is and its pretty embarrassing to see.

Watch as they scrub their game clean for a "modern audience", when in reality it was far from acceptable when the games were released.

Early on they really toyed with the whole idea of "spectres are 100% above the law" like anything you do is legal thanks to your shiny govt job.

That's probably the most obvious example in the series even though they kind of shied away from the whole "spectre" thing by ME3

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

yo I started Control two nights ago and after shamefully dying twice at the first control point when you just have the Service Weapon, last night i played for a while and got to the hotline and stuff and this bit of advice essentially turned me into a murdergod, so thank you. The way launch targets enemies is pretty cool once you get the hang of it. I absolutely wrecked the first elevated hiss encounter (Tomassi?), like just completely took him apart.

"One time....they even managed to lift a cup!"

I really like Control but when you get launch upgraded it really feels like the other powers just aren't nearly as good. The shield has utility as a "oh gently caress run away" mechanic to recover from near death, mind control was cool but felt meaningless, and I can't remember if there were any other powers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Len posted:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

lol isn't that the same guy who started throwing a twitter fit online about how 'abusive' penny arcade was when they gave him 6 mo severance and didn't ask for an NDA or anything?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Divinity OS is a rough game in terms of overall approach to design, with a level of obtuseness I'd expect from a mid 90s crpg, but the whole crafting & blacksmithing feature is just such tedious bullshit that I can't believe a single play-tester would've engaged with it and said "yeah, looks good as is" instead of "no, completely overhaul this no one will want to do any of this"

I've seen a lot of bad crafting mechanics in games, but overall D:OS might actually be the worst.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

The kickstarter backers have a gold name plate so you can easily identify them without talking to them once you know what they are. The only good thing about them is the meta-joke of the expansion adding a soulbound crossbow you need to level up by shooting them lmao

You also used to be able to murder them for no consequence, but they changed it in later versions. Apparently one of them in the starting town was always being killed for a early drop of some expensive armor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm playing Pathologic 2 for the first time and it seems really cool and like something I could enjoy a lot but the combination of the sprawling, intentionally-painful-to-navigate city and traditional save-point system is loving killing me. I've actually just kept the game paused in the background for the past two or three days, I wonder if there's some kind of Resident Evil style "your save file took forty seven hours to complete so you get the worst ending" hidden counter or if it all goes based on in-game events/the clock.

I'll agree with the map being a huge pain in the rear end given you're rushing from point to point like death is chasing you. I probably brought up the map every 10-15 seconds to make sure I knew where I was going for most of the game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SubNat posted:

I've been playing HZD: Complete edition.
And aside from the standard 'DLC/preorder/GOTY stuff is obnoxious and unadjustable, just gotta avoid it if you're not interested.', it reminds me of a thing I really dislike in sandbox titles:

Skill trees that are shallow, allow for no real customization (beyond beelining for the things you're interested in, unless it gates them.), and feel like they're just there because it was mandated that a sandbox game needs a skill tree.

When there's no real ability to specialize, or create interesting builds with the skill tree, then it's just busywork. Extra so when none of the skills change things notably. Like 1/5th of the tree is dedicated to 'slightly more loot'.
I generally enjoy skilltrees and passive boosts and etc, but it's all too often that they're just slapped in because they're expected.
It's a consistent issue that you'll basically be able to max out all the interesting skills in the first half or so of the game unless you purely and only beeline through story content, and then after that you're just painting in the skills you're the least disinterested in.

If there's no meaningful way to specialize a character with skills , and no meaningful/noticeable change when you slap skill points in most of the time, why even have it?

I was paralyzed by choice when I first saw the skill tree then found out yes, you can get all the skills at 100%/max level, and just went mainly to stuff that made it easier to get resources and save resources. I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually make a difference as I'm usually running out of inventory space regardless.

Making a game with a clear emphasis on stealth combat, you know hunting big game 'animals', then gating the stealth kills as a skill was pretty emblematic of this problem.

It's an open world game, so traversal is a big deal, and it takes all the way down one skill tree to get the 'summon mount' ability. Something that most games just give you. You can still find and 'capture' a mount from the start but that's a lot less convenient then most games do it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I think I'm the only person in history who ganked themselves in Prey, which I've heard is impossible. Whatever it was I did wrong, my build hit a hard loving wall about half way in and I was getting wrecked no matter where I went or tried to do. Still a really loving great game though, worthy of all the praise it gets. I just reached a point where it seemed impossible to unfuck myself and decided I'd had enough.

I'm legit curious how this was possible, because unless you stretch yourself super thin, like trying to take literally every skill, most active use skills once you hit then 3rd, or in some cases 2nd levels, are massive game changers. Even playing on hard, once you get leverage or hacking it opens up tons of options.

I mean, if you really dropped the ball on exploration you can be short on everything. Just hopping around everywhere you can in the first 20 minutes using the gloo-gun for platforms can get you access to a ton of materials and equipment before you even see combat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Yeah I really enjoyed it. Wait until you get to the last level if you want to see some bullshit though. Also if you get stuck, I have a really stupid strategy that makes the last level incredibly easy. Let me know.

So I got around to playing Horizon Zero Dawn and I'm enjoying it so far. It is gorgeous to look at and the animation / body movement looks really fluid and fantastic. Little stuff like how Aloy stumbles when descending a steep surface and uses her arms to catch her balance.

My only gripe is that you seem to have to use cheap tactics to win a lot of fights. Oh you're level 7? Here, kill these two giant tiger robots with a bow and arrow. Vs. big stuff it's either "lay traps and wail on them while they're down, then run away screaming" or "slow time, take a shot, roll, roll, roll, roll". She has so many cool movesets - but a lot of them just seem impractical to use (like the slow-mo hip slide). Maybe I'm just not used to it yet.

Edit: Also naming your main character "A(l)loy" in a game about metal monsters is kinda cringy.

The two sawtooth fight is a massive pain in the rear end even once you get everything upgraded. They're just some of the worst enemies to fight in groups because of how fast they are and their explosive tank is extremely hard to hit.

Traps/ropes never seemed that useful unless you've set up at least 4-5 in the area as a way to quickly run though to get an enemy off your back. If the enemies aren't weak to it the damage is pretty minimal. I found way more use for traps when assaulting enemy camps by leaving traps as I sneak in, so eventually when combat starts a bunch of them are running into traps I set up prior to the attack.

Once you get out of the sacred land, the best thing to do is go straight to meridian for
- unlimited fast travel
- see what the purple weapons/armor cost (parts wise, make sure to keep and not sell them)
- Buy the green/blue weapons with high tear damage and freeze asap
- Buy at least one of each weapon, the best you can afford to get them all (because it unlocks the upgrades as well)

More then anything you want Freeze, which will slow the enemy for a bit and let you get a ton of quick high damage on their weakpoints.

Everything from there is just then building up your cash reserves to afford the purple weapons and armor.

Also, I don't know if you know this, but you need to be hunting all the animals you see. The final upgrades for a lot of the abilities require the blue animal drops and they are hard to find. You'll want to be upgrade that as often as possible. It goes a lot faster when you realize you can buy 100 sticks for 20 metal, so all those upgrades costing 500 wood you save a lot of time just buy the wood you need instead of harvesting it.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Aug 13, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

i also highly recommend treating your bow like a semi-auto and just spamming it. by the end you will absolutely be making the most out of running and jumping and sliding in close quarter to make the most of your slow-mo. You're more powerful up close than you might think! Embrace Aloy's inner Max Payne/Doomguy.

It gets to the point where actually taking time to focus aim feels like a huge mistake. First shot from a distance to start combat? Sure. Headshot on unaware enemies? Of course. During frantic combat? Get good at dodging, run up close, , and just unload a dozen arrows as fast as you can. Honestly in combat you should be

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
MY experience with DE is I played it once for ~25 hours, saw a ton of incredible content, and then when trying to follow a discussion about it didn't recognize anything the other people were referencing or talking about.

Great game all around, the only "must do" thing in the entire game is to help the crytpzoologist. Apparently even a hard failure state game where you're a piece of poo poo to Kim turns into a completely different experience as well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Woke Nukem.
They did that thing with the Bulletstorm remake where they inserted Duke into the campaign and that worked pretty well, but Bulletstorm also had a good grip of middle school humour, and Duke/Gray was pretty explicitly a gently caress up that everyone constantly dunked on and who had some character growth

Then they took it behind the shed and put it down because Randy Pitchford wanted $60 for a 5 year old game with a new audio track.

Bulletstorm should've been a franchise.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Zero Dawn is one of the few games I just put it on easy mode BC the combat sucks but the rest of the game is worth it so I didn't want to bail entirely

The difficulty cure is a sine wave of enjoyment, early combat sucks, mid game gets fun as hell with moderate difficultly using a variety of elemental weapons, and then late game is just tedious blasting everything into oblivion because fighting takes so goddamn long and every fight more then 30 seconds will probably aggro nearby enemies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

The original Baldur's Gate has you at first level for-ever, man. Am I missing a bunch of sidequests before the Nashkel Mines? Because the game's story keeps telling you to go there as soon as you can, like even more than most RPGs.

Yes, at least for the EE. If you know where to go there's a ton of free xp to pick up from quests plus all the hidden caches.

Like all games from that era there are absolutely amazing wordpad guides on gamefaqs

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/663933-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/faqs/66126

I followed this and I think I hit level 3 as I arrived in Naskhel. There is no quest failure timer in the game, but some NPCs who join are on a timer before they leave you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr E posted:

I like a lot of BL2 outside of claptrap and tina but pre-sequel was not great writing wise and then BL3 got even worse to where I just quit about 5 hours in. Gunplay seemed way better in 3 tho.

BL2 the legendary drop rate was horrendously low because some added too many zeros or something so the game balanced around a 0.001 Legendary drop rate instead had 0.00001 or something. They tried to make good by giving away tons of the purple shard currency but for PC play the only good option was to just cheat engine and fix the drop rate manually.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
all this reminds me of the insane nerd fandom with claptrap including apparently having him officiate an IRL wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Fallout 4 is one of the only videogames I can think of where the main quest actively drags the rest of the game down around it to make it worse by association.

Same problem with Fallout 3 and Oblivion, at least for me. The main quest was always the least interesting going on.