Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Anatharon posted:

Mario and Luigi Dream Team, you don't need to have ugly 3D graphics to replace the nice graphics of the earlier installments just because you're a 3DS.

Its so disappointing when Bowser's Inside Story had amazing sprite quality after improvements in each game before, and then Dream Team just regresses to Mario and Luigi style.

They don't even look like 3D models. They just look like ugly lineless sprites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

A civilization game with splitting civilizations might almost be kinda interesting, though.

Not if you're one of the civs that historically split. Being hit with the "screw you" button as England just because its 1776 and America wants to become a thing doesn't sound fun at all.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Phobophilia posted:

I died to the scorpion the first time because of that.

FF7 had some goofy enemies. Like that place in the slums with the giant house-shaped robot.

You say this like FF8 doesn't have literal goddamn hockey players as enemies.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
The difference is whether a work is relying on the misinformation or if it accidentally stumbles across it. I doubt ME2 was supposed to be an intentional subversion of our expectations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Who What Now posted:

It would be really lovely to ban, say, a 16 year old kid from playing on the JV basketball team just because he has a leg aug to cure a birth defect. But you're right, we can't just allow people with any sort of augmentation to play certain sports. There's no challenge to dunking if you just use your rocket-legs to blast off from half court.

I'd say that augmentations would be allowed but their performance capabilities would be very tightly regulated and watched so as to keep them firmly in the bounds of human capability. In fact wouldn't be inconceivable to have a market specifically for sports-grade augmentations. And with physical capabilities locked down then experience, talent, and skill would become more valuable, rather than relying on someone being some sort of generic freak to get your big break into the sports world.

Very true, but couldn't one argue that the standardization would force augs and funding just as much as the limitless scenarios? Those below standard would still be in a rush to get the best augs and reach the highest potential level. And if I was physically gifted beyond the standardized point, I certainly wouldn't be happy having to "downgrade" myself. It'd be the exact same problem, just in a more grounded way than rocket tag basketball.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Randalor posted:

One thing I find dragging down Super Smash Bros is there doesn't seem to be a way to easily see what moves you've unlocked for characters. It's just annoying to have to select a character, go into their customization menu and check each move to see what other moves have been unlocked for that direction.

The other annoying thing is that the badges seem a bit arbitrary. Some characters can wear certain badges of a type but not others, and there doesn't seem to be anything differentiating the badges. Some are common sense (oh, mirror dress can only be worn by a woman, makes sense. Silver sword can only be used by someone using a sword) but then you run into things like Kirby, who uses a sword for some moves and his smash, but can't equip the silver sword badge.

Each character has only one type of equipment they can use, except badges which everyone can use. Ex: Mega Man gets arm cannons for attack, helmets for defense, and boosters for speed. This means even if it looks like he wears boots he can't use them for speed, and while the Crash Bomb looks like a drill he can't use drill weapons. It is kind of arbitrary, but its probably to stop some chars from having five times the options of others.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Captain Lavender posted:

You know, my friends and I played the crap out of Monday Night Combat, but they changed so much with the sequel.

What really turned me off was just how many hits the players could take. Unlike a pure MOBA, players in this game were nimble enough to just get away. It felt like you'd waste a lot of time fighting, and then they'd just scamper off. Was I way off-base about that? Did that change?

MNC felt like a TPS / reverse Tower Defense game. SMNC felt like League of Legends with guns.

I dunno, I really preferred the format of the first. Smaller, more numerous turrets meant you could actually take them on and chip away at the enemy's defenses. Having more specialized bots spawned by players was more interesting than weaker robots with strong robots after a certain trigger was hit. Rotating out classes absolutely sucks when you're used to a constant assortment, even if it looked like SMNC had some pretty interesting choices. The jungle just seems like a big diversion, especially compared to the first MNC where I could just run around the whole map killing bots (and after some levels under my belt turrets) at my leisure.

Increased enemy health might be part of that MOBAization. I know in League, before you get a lot of levels, stuns, and ganking abilities, engagements take forever an end in someone just running away.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's kind of like Dishonored, where you can kill a shitload of people and still get the guilt-free ending.

Unlike dishonored, killing was actively discouraged and you were rewarded way more for not killing people. I don't get why the non-lethal takedowns were shorter, quieter, and gave more XP than the lethal takedowns, for example.

It should've been the other way around. I mean, the "nonlethal" takedowns are punching people so hard they pass out, that's gonna make some noise.

But rather than a syringe aug or some kind of throat-slitting knife, lets just give him giant fuckoff baraka blades. Those are really subtle.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
While we're talking tutorials, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.

God that game had far, far too much tutorial. It felt glacial compared to the other three, and its why I could never really get into it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

The Moon Monster posted:

Even ignoring the tutorials that game was a huge loving slog. Fights took forever and were hard to avoid. The dreamworld segments added a ridiculous amount of padding. Enemies respawned so easily you pretty much never wanted to back track for anything. I think it dethrones Sticker Star as worst Mario rpg.

I dunno, at least Dream Team was an RPG. Not a shoddy point-and-click adventure with resource draining fights, and no actual mechanics beyond "use your things on all these other things."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, keeping track of item synergy is only really for edge cases like My Reflection and Ipecac. Most items you can use for whatever, and if you can't the images are quite distinct.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Ryoshi posted:

It sure is too bad that FFXIV locks you into a single character class.

Still sucks finding out the class you looked forward to using is subpar.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Ryoshi posted:

Yeah, I totally get that. But at least in XIV it's less of a setback than it would be in an older game where you're locked into a class. Find out it sucks at end game content? Tough luck, pray for a patch.

Oh yeah, its way better than the old days. Not as good as every class being viable, but MMOs are always going to be struggling with that. I just hope SquareEnix doesn't let "you can just change class" get in the way of properly balancing everything.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Gridlocked posted:

MOBAs just bring out the worst in people. I don't think I've met anyone that hasn't gotten mad playing a MOBA either because they hate losing (one of my friends who tries hard, fails then gets mad), hate the abbuse (friend 2 who puts up with poo poo till he gets too mad at being called an idiot then starts telling the guy where to get off) or because they really punish you for your smallest failures (me, when I miss-time Smite and let someone else take a buff).

Though I will admit last time I played LoL I tried being chill at the start but I ended up getting angry with every mistake I made; I dono why it just kinda happened. Maybe I lack self control when it comes to LoL; maybe it's an infectious monster.

The constantly increasing respawn timers, sheer speed at which you can die, and very easy to swing creep balance probably don't help. It makes you feel like you've messed up both quickly and badly, and only gets worse as a match goes on.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Somfin posted:

Or if an expansion / chapter is clearly by a different art team.

Tyrian 2k's final chapter drops the cartoon outlines for a cel-shaded look, but classic weapons and all player ships still have the old look, and the two do not mesh. E: Also the new guns in chapter five are all poo poo and ridiculously weak compared to the wonders of the first chapters' guns, and the final final boss is really bad compared to, say, the multistage fire planet boss, or the giant nose boss.

The original Wrath of the Lamb expansion for the original Binding of Isaac clearly had a different artist with a sketchier, more expressive lineart style that doesn't fit at all with the blobby flash-vectors of the original.

Wait, really? I don't think I ever noticed a difference, but that might be because I haven't looked at the original BoI in a while.

Do you have any comparison pics?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Most of Diablo 3 happens at 70

I'm starting to feel like there are two Diablo 3s, the single player story-driven RPG nobody cares about and the speedrun experience.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Onix is a piece of styrofoam and even a 4x ineffective Ember will devour his pitiful special defense because Onix is an embarrassment.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

MisterBibs posted:

I'd encourage you to reread my posts, because I never said anything about these games being hard. I just don't find playing them as fun as the idea of playing them is. There's just too much poo poo I'm not into. Battling bores me, you can't really Collect Them All, and I'm not at all interested in the 152-??? they've added since I last played.

I didn't really feel I had to reexplain for those in the cheap seats that can't read, but here we are.

Hell, for both content and elaboration, the same thing happens with Legend of Zelda games. I loved Ocarina of Time and can play it every couple of years and enjoy the poo poo out of it. Every other game in the franchise that I try? All its myriad Not Ocarina Stuff kills my interest, and I eventually just play Ocarina again.

I'd recommend Pokemon Snap then, personally. But that's just me.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Morglon posted:

4e is really good for the dungeon crawling but for some reason really cut back on the roleplaying. Not saying that that doesn't have its place but it seems like a really odd choice for what it is.

Mind if I pick your brain on this? I've always been really curious why people think this, especially now that I'm running my first 4E game and finding it exactly as roleplay heavy as my friends' usual 5E games.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Well, gently caress, I didn't mean to accidentally kick all of this off. I wasn't trying to logic anyone into changing their minds or bring back edition warring. I just wanted to figure out why people think 4 has less roleplaying, especially in the hopes that I could avoid potential pitfalls with my game running.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Samuringa posted:

There are a lot of terrible things about how The Sims get handled nowadays, but every single sequel being a barebones, but stable, game that gets incremental Expansions - sometimes the same expansions as the last game - until it becomes a bloated mess again is the most absurd.

I'm now realizing The Sims and Warhammer have very similar business models, and I don't know how to feel about that.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Isn't one of the weapons a friggin pizza?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Bibs, was there an Afterlife sim before 1996, either?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

oldpainless posted:

Wellhung below

More like oldshameless.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
40k has so many factions, so many weapons, and enough divine boons, psyker magic, and superscience to justify revivals ten times over. Even just Orks and Chaos would make for a game with absurd amounts of variety.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
This also explains why Tales from the Borderlands, a game that actually impacts the setting, is a thousand times better than Game of Thrones, where you're explicitly on rails between seasons.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Bussamove posted:

Nuffle is a cruel and fickle lord, it’s true.

Look, I know it's a 1 in 6 chance that my orc will eat poo poo and end my entire turn. But I really want that extra square, okay?

. . . Maybe two squares.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, as a guy whose first FPS was Halo 3 I don't think I'll ever "get" Half-Life 2. There's some aspects of it I still find neat, like the Gravity Gun and the bugbait, but most of what was groundbreaking from that period has been main standard and most of its old-school style mechanics I'm just not a fan of.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I think the Go style catching could be fine if motion controls were divorced from it and you also had the option to hit the "gently caress it, time to fight" button. I imagine it's even easier to run from a random encounter if you don't have to spend 10 seconds waiting for your Pokemon to exit the ball first, since you'd only release them if you wanted a fight.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
The rub about the Switch is that seemingly all of the big-ticket first party games are built with it being a portable console in mind. This means single, big progression points are wiped away, replaced with a series of small and repeatable achievements you can conceivably chip away at on the bus. When you consider this, so much of Breath of the Wild especially, but also a few other major first party titles, starts to make sense.

Breath of the Wild has near 1000 Korok seeds and 120 shrines so you stand a very good chance of getting a few small puzzles and one large puzzle chipped away at in a single session. The weapon durability and somewhat repetitive nature of the gameplay loop become way less problematic when you're dealing with them once on your commute, rather than for hours at a time on your couch.

Similarly, Mario Odyssey and its many power moons, where you can play through the game like a normal Mario title or stand a good chance of finding moons in any random nook and cranny.

Kirby Star Allies has its Guest Star mode, where you're encouraged to speedrun through an abridged version of the main game with a huge cast of every power in the game and pretty much all the highlights of Kirby's supporting cast over the years. You try doing that all at once, you're going to get Kirby'd out in no time. You do a little every so often, and you get a Kirby that's not the best in the series but maybe the most replayable.

And then we have Smash Ultimate with the Spirit Board. Which, once again, is many bite-sized events that you can do a few of at a time and feel accomplished despite not having a ton of time to play. Starting to see the trend?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Somfin posted:

This sort of poo poo fits my schedule way better and I don't even do mobile gaming. gently caress marathons unless they're gently caress marathons.

Honestly, same. I know I posted in Dragging Down, but personally its way more a Little Thing in my books. I just wanted to follow the conversation.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Look, lets be honest. Once enough people complain, Sephiroth will be added in to show up for his contractually obligated extra boss fight.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

leveling your pokemans then breeding them leads to kids with higher stats
That's literally Lamarckian evolutionary theory: that the traits you work at in life will be inherited by your offspring and is dead, dead wrong even though it makes for more satisfying gameplay

The actual in-game "evolution" poo poo is just plain fantasy poo poo of course

That's literally not how it works. Like, at all.

The "genetic" part of a Pokemon is their IVs, or Individual Values. These are heritable by offspring and cannot be changed by any means besides certain rare items.

The worked traits, EVs, are what get stronger based on how you train your Pokemon. These do not get inherited at all.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
The fact that Mortal Kombat now has a shitton of respect for its lore and story, characters actually being allowed to age, some of the leasr sexualized character design in fighting games, and a shockingly tasteful reveal of a character's sexuality still shocks me, tbh. It's come a long way.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

John Murdoch posted:

OWL being an incomprehensible mess to watch has been something they've tried to overcome for years now.

Pretty sure the weird colors are because each team uses their own official team colors skins when playing; they've gone all in on the sports teams angle. Of course that misses the point that sports jerseys are all roughly the same size, shape, and attached to humans that are all roughly the same size and shape, and none of them are teleporting around, turning invisible, or whatever in the meantime.

And at times change colors to avoid overlaps like white vs off-white.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
And if you make the mistake of taking Athletics, which both seems like a brilliant idea for an open world game and comes by default on 8 of the game's 21 classes? Then good luck, literally everything you do while playing the game pushes you inevitably closer towards leveling up. At least for other noncombat skills like Acrobatics and Sneak, you can always just decide to stop using until you need them or want to level them up.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Triarii posted:

Subnautica shows how this doesn't always work out great. You can turn off the bad hunger and thirst mechanics, but then there are chunks of the tech tree that suddenly become dead weight because they were there to help produce food and water. If, for the sake of argument, we pretend that the inventory limitations were good and meaningful, well, they were tuned around you carrying around some cooked fish to eat, so the tuning is off if you don't need those. If the designers don't even know the rules of the game that you're playing by, it's much harder for them to design meaningful content.

I'm fine with doing it Celeste style, where the devs warn you tweaks may not adhere to the game's balance and vision but let you do it anyway.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Mamkute posted:

A Hat In Time: The boss fights are inconsistently long, and have no health bar.

I think I'd've panicked way less on Mafia Boss' Dearh Wish challenges if I knew how many hits he'd have left. Trying to one-hit that fight was brutal.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Cleretic posted:

Technically, none. But ideally as much as possible, because when we're talking about equivalents to Dad Games, we need to remember that Dad Games aren't just 'games with dads in them'. They're a very specific type of game where the main theme is basically just to grab you by the collar and scream 'FATHERHOOD' as loud as they reasonably can while still getting away with it.

It's a little hard to easily qualify Mom Games, Brother Games, Sister Games or such because there just aren't enough to really codify them. But if giving a fairly general criteria, I think FFXIII-2 is absolutely a Sister Game, because you basically wouldn't have a game if you took out that main theme of Serah and Lightning's relationship. While ironically, I would say most Mario Bros games aren't Brother Games, because their connection as brothers doesn't usually go beyond the name of the game.

Superstar Saga absolutely was a brother game. Then future installments were about time travel, vore, sleep, and halfhearted attempts at remembering when Paper Mario was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

BioEnchanted posted:

Why does Hyrule even need that kind of balance though. It's like a Modern Democrat where it's just like "Why are you letting the Big Evil man out again?" "We need ~balance~" "Yeah, but do we really need to bring someone in who'll just kill everyone for the sake of Decorum? We could just not and say we did..."

To be fair, Power isn't inherently evil. It's just that the evil guy holding onto it is really, really bad at letting go, and really, really good at not dying.