Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I for one completely agree about Bioshock 2. The hacking is good and the combat is excellent. Blasting people with the rivet gun or speargun never got old.

You're not supposed to enjoy the second one because of the story or something. Of course, if you can manage to get past it sullying the good name of Bioshock, then there's noth much wrong with it apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

All the R&C games kick rear end, the only bad one is Into the Nexus All 4 One and that's only because it's obscenely short poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is there a video on how you would use this?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thoughtless posted:

Terraria has some bizarre design choices. After you beat the boss in hell, you go into hardmode. This creates two "invasive" biomes, which spread aggressively and will destroy all the natural ones, depriving you of a lot of resources you need.

How do you combat this? You dig a three-block tunnel straight down to hell. Two around every chunk of land you want to protect. This is incredibly tedious, even in a game mostly about mining. But that's not enough! You also get mobs that spit the corruption over your tunnels so you need to build walls too. Still not enough? As you progress in the game it'll randomly spawn hidden blocks of the invasive biomes, probably inside your painstakingly quarantined "good zones", and you'll have to find and isolate those too which takes insane amounts of effort.

It feels less like I'm playing and more like I'm working now, except I'm not getting paid. So that was how far I got.

VVVVV

Somehow I never realized this, probably because I'm dumb.

Monsters cannot spread corruption anymore. Also, there used to be an enemy that could break your blocks. This has also been stopped.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Basically, pausing is for lame-rear end scrubs who can't handle videogames. 'Oh sorry that you want to put things on hold at your convenience you pansy gently caress. Why don't you go play with a light switch, I think that's more your level?' :smuggo:

Content: I bought Skullgirls because I don't really play fighting games that much and it seems good and I like anime. :buddy: But, in a game that it would actually help to have one, there's no diagram for what button is what kick or punch [There's three of both] and when you turn on the setting to show what buttons you're pressing it doesn't have the icons pop up on them either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I bought Age of EmpiresŪ III: Complete Collection about a month ago and now I swear I'm not crazy anymore. All the units have a set speed they can run but whenever you mix and match them together into a diverse army everyone just trundles around suuuuuper sluggishly. I'd rather have a way to change if some of them run ahead or they all stick together at the same speed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whatev posted:

I also should not have introduced myself to the series with Bowser's Inside Story. It owns so hard that it drags the other games down by comparison.

I actually enjoyed the first one the most and wish it hadn't felt like it ended way too soon. Bros. attacks were way cooler than buying items for attacks with B. Mario & Luigi.

I'm still waiting for the day that Nintendo lets you either fast-forward or skip through the openings of their games so I can move on and not suffer through fifteen minutes of 'And this is how you juuuump! Go on, try jumping on that box. YAYYYYYYYYY you did it! Now try again with two boxes!" and just moving through and letting play the game at my own pace.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aside from never being able to get the hang of looking at the map and knowing if I need to turn left or right to zoom over to a new Field, I don't like how much grinding is involved in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3.

You've got like 54 characters in it and if you want to use a skill with them you have to purchase it as them instead of buying it once and being done with it. And you've got to play most of the characters too if you want to be able to use all of the Mobile Suits as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Like 90% of games with purchasable currency include the $99 option.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Something_Special_For_Someone_Special

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LumpyGumby posted:

Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain have it.

As does 4. It also has the greatest slow-crawl to ever be devised. http://youtu.be/B9hdYIFxJcU?t=12m13s

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Nov 21, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Falcon's gloves in the new Smash Bros game look terrible to me. He looks like his wrists are snapped in almost every screenshot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There are situations where it's good but there are many arguments to be made that it's a detriment or just a crutch used in place of better design. For one I think it tends to make all encounters feel the same and removes a lot of tension when you start every single fight at exactly the same level of readiness. For example in STALKER Call of Pripyat (with the Misery mod) if I'm at full health I'm ready to go kill monsters for stuff to sell, but if I'm on my way home at 20% health and radiation poisoning and I see a pack of boars in the way, I'm going to want to take a detour. It completely changes the level of tension and it also encourages you to play a lot safer and more strategically, because there are no "acceptable" hits you can take.

Regenerating health can be good or bad depending on the game and how it's used but "the greatest innovation in video games in the last 20 years" is a ridiculous generalization.

Besides, we all know that title belongs to the second analog stick.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM33Hr94SKw

Best game.

Literally the only thing dragging it down is that you can miss out on the :krad: lyrical version of Sundowner's boss theme if you play it too well. That and the one cutscene where they reintrodued Sunny from MGS4 was a little too long and boring, and even then they had that weird security guard drooling over anime girls in the backgrounds for laughs so it wasn't all bad.

And also the PC version is like 24 gigs and most of those are uncompressed video files, but as far as Japanese PC game ports go it's still one of the better ones :japan:

Also the fact that Sam is the only boss in the game that you can choose to fight and skip the level part.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

You can skip to the boss fights on the PC. All of them. Not sure how Armstrong's works because I never skipped right to him but I got the no damage achievements by just skipping right to the boss fights over and over again until I was good enough to pull it off.

Except Armstrong, though. There's no way in hell I'll ever be good enough to beat him without taking damage.

I should have mentioned that I was talking about on console. That was my mistake. A good thing to offset it: They gave the Sam & Bladewolf DLC for free if you had the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Does Revengeance have a "whiny baby" difficulty? The game looks awesome as all heck, but I understand it's by Platinum and I am laughably terrible at action games, or any games requiring reflexes. Or really most games.

Yeah, it's the one called 'Get Gud' :smuggo: But no seriously, gently caress the game judging you. It's not like it locks you out of moving on if you don't get a high enough rank. Just give it a shot on one of the lower difficulties and watch this video first because, the tutorial doesn't explain things well enough, according to most humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2MHp6_SSMs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Given this is Nintendo we're talking about, who are (perhaps hyperbolically) known for treading the same ground over and over again, I think we can respect the Paper Mario devs for constantly doing something new.

...But seriously, of any Nintendo series, Paper Mario is the one that really needs to go back to its roots, do those first two right again, and then just stick with it. We had two absolutely stellar games, that were at the same time simple and really intricate, propping up a fantastically charming world, which we then lost completely to experimentation. The world deserves another Thousand-Year Door, but we're not getting it, from Nintendo or anyone else.

I feel much the same way about Megaman Battle Network; the thing dragging Battle Network down is that I can't throw money at anyone to get more games like it. At least with that, I've got six of them to go back to.

Yeah, everyone's free to complain about Nintendo doing the same thing over and over again but really I can't give a poo poo. I just want some more good turn-based paper JRPG to play. Maybe stop doing it mostly exactly the same and have a buzzy beetle instead of a koopa for a party member? Or stick a chain chomp in for a change. Y'know mix it up a bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

The stupidest part about the whole thing is after you do it the one time it never comes up the rest of the game. Like, you can go fishing, but you never really get a reason to and are probably busy doing a whole lot of other things.

not having fishing somehow spring up in the middle of a game sounds like a plus and not a negative.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not a rhythm game, but you reminded me of that God-drat flute in Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

Edit: Also just about everything else about Spirit Tracks...I kept going through the game, thinking that finally, this train upgrade is the one that will let me kill those demon trains, but nope...you can never kill them, only try to escape them. It made it a huge PITA anytime you traveled.

Transportation in both Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass was the worst. Either your world is too big or the train/boat isn't fast enough, whichever one you wanna call it it's awful

The panflute was even worse for me because I had the DS Lite and the microphone spot is like the hole you feed thread through on a needle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Until you actually do late game. Somewhere around the factory I became familiar with the worlds most annoying gameplay mechanic. If an enemy is more than 5 levels above yours it literally becomes invincible. :bravo:

And that's why you should do some some sidequests. Doing all of them as soon as they become available will both burn you out on the game and make you overleveled. When you're underleveled you miss a lot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

The story makes it clear that if you kill everyone you get the "bad ending", moral choice systems ruin games

Game Devs should troll players by putting in BAD END at the end of linear games. Uncharted 3 ends and everyone rides off into the sky, all alive and healthy and then BAD ENDING- credits.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LoonShia posted:

A choice between a potato-person and a twelve-year-old anime princess is no choice at all.

Yeah, it's no contest.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I don't know if you're being facetious but she puts the fuckin' team on her back dude, I don't care if she's an anime

I fuckin' love french fries but potato people can't beat anime Princess with Monarch March I'm sorry

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Yet the same team designed Auron and Jecht who are badass as heck

well duh, they're guys

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

I think it's a flaw of many games that your opponent rarely ever flees from you. Real life warfare has never been dependent on killing every single soldier on the opposing side, but breaking the integrity of the enemy's army, or capturing some strategic objective (say a bridge, or a village). Breaking the will of your enemy to fight simply helps that goal. A platoon of disarmed prisoners can be guarded by a handful of your own guys, and a routed army is one that can no longer efficiently resist you (and is vulnerable to getting slaughtered by pursuers).

Most non grognard games don't seem to be interesting in simulating this dynamic, and it suffers for it. So when my supersoldier protagonist rampages through a base, the defenders should flee once they realise they're not getting through my regenerating health. It gets me what I want (a captured base), and it gets them what they want (to live to fight another day).

That's what cutscenes are for though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Febreeze posted:

It might be, but they are hard to hit with the Super Missiles because they are so fast.

Just wait for them to do their two-handed charge-up and blast them then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiggum posted:

This could describe the vast majority of video games.

well yeah but Dynasty Warriors never billed itself as this huge epic world-spanning adventure

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

This entire conversation should just be put to bed because you could literally say the exact same thing about the brutal violence in both Hotline Miami games, but as Gestalt Intellect said earlier, it's a complicated subject that really totally does not belong in this thread.

Wait, the second game is using rape as gameplay now? :stare:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well shucks, now I'm just totally lost on how brutal violence gameplay could be removed from it and still have something to play. Would it just be Uncharted as a beat em up?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I'm not sure what you're responding to, I was just saying 'no' in response to "wait, the second game is using rape as gameplay now? stare".

Funnily enough there is a character in Hotline 2 who addresses your question. You can't kill people as him unless you try really hard, and he dismantles guns when you pick them up for score bonuses. You basically have to smack people with melee weapons until they go down and wiggle on the floor, but the only way you can kill them is by mashing the execution button on them.

Eh, it was more talking to the void for the second sentence.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's so effective that people will play until level thirty and complain all the way there about how terrible the game is.

Or at least from what I've seen of people who play it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They had every single character read identical parts to thin out obvious kinks. After not attending rightly, Ron(Seger) ordered writers to override the haphazard effort.

Knowledgeable nerds endure ennui.

How long have you been sitting on that one?

Brother Entropy posted:

First letter of each word.

Thanks for the help!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

The controls are abysmal for a platformer, however.

I know it's sarcastic but it still irks me how people keep making this post into a joke at your expense.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kalos posted:

I was actually just referencing this masterpiece http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2959/baldurs-gate-is-such-a-terrible-game

e: Also this which exists for some reason https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ZnPTEIYZw

And here I thought you were making a comment about jumping not being a fun thing to do in the series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

On the other hand, before Broken Steel came out, they literally had any party member other than the Brotherhood Paladin more or less tell you that it wasn't their place to do this Historic Thing or whatever. Even if you loving own them. Then when Broken Steel came out and they gave you the choice back, if you did anything but type the code in yourself, it called you a coward same as if you'd sent in the Paladin instead. Right. I sent in the rad-immune mutant so that no one had to die, and I'm a coward. No, I'm a goddamn genius, gently caress you Ron Perlman.

No, you're a coward for not going in and dying to accomplish that task like a good little martyr would've.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I find it so weird that so many people praise Nintendo for supposedly carrying the torch of classic gameplay-driven games when they're guilty of some of the worst unskippable opening sequences in the name of plot. See also: the crappy stealth sequence in Wind Waker, being stuck as a wolf in Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy having like 30 minutes of unskippable cutscenes and tutorials, etc.

Fairly certain that people enjoy the games despite the continuing absence of cutscene skipping and not thanks to it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Get pills and upgrade weapon sway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Yea man, all soldiers speak incredibly proper during high stress/combat situations.

Why would they have 17,00 terms for you to lean while training just to abandon them when in combat, after all?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

what characterization could a game with crazy greasy balding Gary Busey as a protagonist have that'd be worth preserving anyway

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thing dragging down every final Fantasy after 4

Remakes that don't also increase your damage cap to at least 99,999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I have never played FFX. Is this a post making fun of the game, or is it serious?

He ran into a -probably, I'm assuming- postgame boss that wiped his entire team but made him sit and watch a minute-long animation before the last one was given permission to die.

It's absolutely serious.