Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen got rid of the cheesy/awful/amazing jpop on the menu screen :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
In Kotor2, changing the difficulty to Difficult raises the DC for skill checks. Skills are capped based on character level, and early game it makes some checks outright impossible. Later on you'll probably have enough equipment that it doesn't matter, but even then it's easier to just lower the difficulty a step rather than shuffle equipment around. Also AI characters don't give a single gently caress about running through mines.

But then I get to run around twirling my space swords so it's not all bad.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
See, there's your problem. You didn't go darkside and get the infinite rage-tank.

You can also try cheesing it by letting them almost die, levelling for full health and repeat. T3's shock arm is a godsend, and if you did the droid quest he can have an infinite shield which doesn't help at all against the melee dudes. Also there's a droid armour with 50% energy resist, so if you're lucky enough to get that then T3 can tank blasters forever.

I just did that segment light side and holy poo poo not having Hanharr made it so much harder. No more oneshotting everything with 4 power attacks/round :black101:

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The solo parts tend to suck, whether you're playing the exile or not. The game likes to go 'hey fight this strong melee opponent 1 on 1 with no time to prepare' a lot. It really sucks as a consular, I just want to lightning and choke my way through the game but nope, this rear end in a top hat has saves through the roof and hits like a truck 3 times a round. Same with Atton (twice), same with Mira (twice as well, I think),and Hanharr just wrecks everything so it doesn't matter. Thankfully level-ups can be saved.

You have to pick two people for GOTO's yacht but it's not long before you bust out the exile unless you're hitting a wall with combat, and there's some fun stuff you can do to make it easier.

100% recommend playing through with the restored content mod, having just finished up doing that myself, and you don't remember the bit in the bunker because it's not in the base game. Malachor is a bit more interesting, though it still kind of sucks.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
With the Atton/Mira/T3 party or solo Mira? If you've got Hanharr just turn on his rage, give him a couple weapons and let him power attack everything to death, if you've got Mira then uh I hope you have good ranged weapons! T3's shock arm is really good but apart from that blaster characters kind of suck without weapon upgrades.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Atton started the Twin Suns fight at about half health and his final solo bit one hit from death in my last playthough :v:

Nuebot posted:

Atton/Mira/T3. I'm going neutral so no Hanharr.

Yeah I got through that by level cheesing and letting Atton go down ten times a fight. That and the shock arm. Poison grenades are really good if you can live long enough to get one off and run away though.

Another thing dragging the game down for me: There's a ton of heavy armour, some of it even looks pretty good! Except I can't think of any character to use it on. Handmaiden can use it from the start but I don't see why I should level her before making her a Jedi, Atton needs a feat to use it and he's fairly dex based, Bao-Dur can't use heavy armour at all, Mandalore's armour can't be changed, the droids and Hanharr can't use it and Mira is pretty heavy on the dex. Heavy armour blocks most force powers, so you can't really use it as a consular, and even if you want to do melee combat the best melee buff also gets blocked by armour, so why bother giving Kreia or Visas the feats to use it?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I was thinking of doing a blaster exile at some point, but wouldn't you still be better off running crit shot/master speed or anything/master speed? I don't think I ever saw any medium armour that allowed power use. Sadly when I was starting my melee playthrough I got literally no armour until the end of Telos, and I already had knight speed by the time some dropped. Those extra attacks are just too good. Also speed is just too useful for tedium saving, but it's not like you're ever short of casters for it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
But if I'm not maximising the amount of red numbers I make pop out of enemies or spraying lightning everywhere what's even the point? It probably won't matter by endgame but I did want to go assassin and sneak attack everything, and I think the Insanity line is restricted by armour. If it's not then sweet, I can actually rock armour until I stack so much dex it becomes obsolete.

I find most of the buffs aside from speed or the resistance ones too fiddly to bother with. Either enemies die too fast or kill me too fast for a twenty second boost to matter, or I have to keep recasting them before combat and :effort:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I like to pretend Pazaak doesn't exist.

I never understood why the game keeps trying to tout NPCs as ~*Pazaak masters*~. No, this is a game of random chance where if you're lucky you win by drawing a 20 and never touching your special cards or you lose because you just can't get to 20 with what you have and overshoot every time. You can't be good at it, there's nothing to be good at.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Dungeons of Dredmor is pretty fun, but a fair few of the skills, particularly the pre-expansion ones, favour trying to be funny over actually telling you what the skill does. Particularly the Vampirism line, which as far as I can tell never tells you your ability to steal health is based off your health regen stat. My first try with it was a slow loss to attrition because I didn't realise the stat that raises an attribute you can't actually use any more is critically important.

The last boss is also a poo poo wall of health and obscenely high resistances that can zap a quarter of your health off if he feels like it. I don't know if he's possible to melee, and the only winning strategy I've seen for a melee character is to peg a bunch of poo poo at him while playing keepaway.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

While this is absolutely a problem with the game, I still get a laugh out of it the first time. Like seeing a random Skepticism skill in the paranormal investigator tree, and all the description will tell you is "You're going to bust this conspiracy wide open, and expose this monster for what it really is!"

I always assumed that skill was some sort of polymorph. Normally it's not so bad because you can just use it and learn what it does, but when it's a core part of how to use the skill line it's a bit daft. They're usually funny enough to forgive, and I always get a chuckle out of 'Agar Aguardian'.

quote:

I tried meleeing him briefly on an extremely powerful clockwork knight setup and it only worked for a couple turns when I got lucky. I quickly had to get out and go to the usual strategy, which is to just throw lots of clockwork sawblades and holy hand grenades until the righteous damage and bleeding gets him. If you happen to have magical law, keep the gag order on him 100% of the time because it's guaranteed to work and makes him completely harmless at a distance. Always keep an escape option around such as multiple invisibility potions/inky hoglanterns, or the teleport from mathemagic. An escape option is a pretty important part of any build though.

If you have realm of the diggle gods, I actually recommend playing without the extra 5 floors. There's not enough extra items to justify the game going on that much longer so you eventually start seeing the same top-quality items appear over and over, and monsters take way too long to kill. It's unfortunately a huge slog and it makes dredmor even worse. Conquest of the wizardlands and you have to name the expansion pack were much better expansions.

I like the Diggle God buffs and fertility is amazing for Vampirism, but yeah the extra floors drag. I try to remember to keep it turned off, same as remembering to use No Time to Grind. Is there a way to keep those permanently selected? It's annoying to have to remember to recheck them every time.

I was going to see if the bat transformation would work for escape, but it doesn't. Didn't matter since I ran out of projectiles before I ran out of teleport potions. Hadn't really needed an escape before then either, Vampirism is stupidly good against anything that isn't a robot or undead. Just stay at full health for an entire fight, no big deal.

For another complaint: games that have a bunch of stats and don't properly explain how they work. I don't want a spreadsheet breaking down everything, but to use Dredmor as an example, I have no idea how counter, dodge or aim actually work. Do 5 points of magic resist matter? Should I stack one of counter or dodge really high or are there diminishing returns? This armour drops my dodge by twenty points, is that a big deal? It's normally not an issue but I've got like 10 item slots to fill and a shitload of choices for what to put into them, and a whole bunch of skills I can choose at character creation. It's annoying to try to make a good choice in a game with perma-death without really knowing what my choices actually do.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Black Flag is a pretty great pirate game, the shanties sound good, sailing around in storms feels great and it looks really pretty. But holy poo poo, it's the sixth(?) instalment in the series and the parkour stuff still only works about 80% of the time. You want to get on the lift so you can kill the scout? No, Kenway does not want to get on the lift. He would like to jump on, then off the crate, or maybe try to scale the side of the mast while some dude stabs his legs. Swing on the rope? No, jump off the boat! That thing where you're running and you don't quite turn fast enough so the character mashes his face into a wall or something until you let go of the trigger and reorient still happens, but nowhere near as much as it used to.

The shanties are the best collectables and for some reason you have to engage in a lovely freerunning chase to actually get them. It's not normally hard if they're approached the right way, but it feels unnecessary.

The swordfighting is a weird mix of aggravating and easy. The kill animations last for too long and make it feel slow, but at least if someone attacks you you can counter out of them. Combat is usually just counter->kill as normal, but there's big dudes who you can't counter or attack, you have to guardbreak. Except sometimes Kenway just decides to swing at someone else, so they don't die. Not trying to aim after the guardbreak usually works except when it doesn't. You can't counter directly after freerunning, I think, so trying to move quickly around a ship can involve unavoidable hits, and if you get a 'kill the scouts' objective while boarding you have to freerun across a crowded ship, head up the mast and if there's a dude too close to where you land on the platform he can just smack you and I can't seem to actually get a counter off.

The parts where it's a cool pirate adventure and not an Assassin's Creed game are really good, though.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Morglon posted:

Black Flag was a loving great pirate game that got dragged down by all the forced assassin poo poo. Seriously just make something that focuses on that and I'll be there front and center and sink ungodly amounts of time into it.

This was linked in the total warhammer thread earlier today, I'm holding out hope that it's like black flag but with more orcs and sea dragons or whatever.

Third person pirate/naval games are thin on the ground afaik.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Hey, faceless clipboard dude controls more reliably than any other assassin's creed protagonist I've seen.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

This is just about the most minor quibble possible, but the little touch of the region-dependent landmark in the prologue of Nier (which I'm ambivalent about anyway because it removes a nod to Drakengard :goonsay:) still shows as Big Ben in Australia because it's based off language and we get the same disk as Europe. :saddowns:

What nod does it remove? Landmark from tokyo or wherever Caim shows up?

Holy gently caress the animals are aggressive in Far Cry 4. I'm not an expert by any means but I find it hard to imagine a pack of wolves or whatever would just keep charging you after you fill them with bullets. Makes it easy enough to get skins, but sometimes I just want to go somewhere without being chased down.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I'm not that far into it, mostly because I've spent a whole bunch of time dicking around and trying to make a pirate faction like me, but goddamn the proximity alarm/drop out of warp radius is huge. Like I'm clearly going to breeze right past that mostly immobile asteroid, please don't drop me out of warp because it got within a space metre of me. Then yeah, you putt past it at your dinky slow speed, eventually hit sublight, start charging warp only to immediately drop out because now you're in an asteroid belt and you're too close to the next asteroid that you're also not actually going to hit, and 30 seconds later you're back in warp.

I guess it's better than sometimes being pasted because you clipped some ice you thought you'd gone around, but they went a bit too far in the opposite direction.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
So Darkest Dungeon (:v:) has an enemy with an attack called The Revenge. It blows up and deals a bunch of damage to everyone, enough to force a quest abandon/party wipe fairly easily. There's no indication it does this beforehand, which is kind of dumb, but that's how enemies work in the game so whatever. Lesson learned.

The thing is, it's actually a timed attack. It's got fuckall to do with 'revenge', it just blows up on the second round. The first time it happened I'd almost killed it, so I thought it was a spite move, and the second and most recent time I'd still hit it.

Maybe it's just me, but that name really doesn't communicate 'will gently caress you next turn'.

Otoh it's super addicting and I stayed up way too late playing it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Literally every time I go to the cove the only loading tooltip is "thralls will explode if left alone too long"

Yeah I have some sort of bizarre blindness when it comes to those loading screen tips. Not the game's fault, obviously.

I maintain that it's a dumb name, and 'too long' doesn't really imply one round :colbert:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

All the talk about Darkest Dungeon in this thread, positive or negative, makes it sound extremely loving unpleasant to play even by roguelike standards (it is a roguelike, isn't it?).

It's roguelike-ish. Your heroes can die, permanently losing your invested upgrades, but there's always more, and you can never run out of resources. At worst it'd be super, super grindy to get your max level/upgrade dudes back up. If you party wipe or a character dies and you don't win the fight you lose all their equipped trinkets (accessories, basically, each hero can wear two).

I'm not that far in but it's pretty fun, the aesthetics are great, the narrator is great. It's just got some dumbass bullshit that'll murder you the first time you run across it because it's not really communicated to you before you run into it face first. There's some bad little things, but hopefully you encounter most of them when you've only got replaceable level 0 morons.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Oh i'm not going to lie I got 100% wiped by a thrall exploding, and no-mercy deathblows from his friends before I could heal even one person, but AFTER that it's the only tooltip I see.

The game just loving lies to you sometimes, like when you fight the hag she puts a random party member in a pot and they start to die immediately. And they are screaming for help. Please attack the pot, they scream. If you do that the witch just puts them back in the pot. Then they get to 0hp and fall out, and she instantly throws sauce on your entire party and wouldn't you know it's an instant deathblow. Then she instantly puts someone else in the pot. You run away because gently caress this I'm not prepared. The person in the pot dies also. You don't get their trinkets back.

Apparently the correct thing to do is just murder her as fast as possible because she can't take free turns if you just let someone get parboiled and ignore their pleas for mercy. The tutorial like dialog "hit the pot to let me out! this really hurts!"
is there 100% to gently caress with you and wipe half your party before you figure it out.

e: spoiler tags, I guess, maybe you want to be surprised.

Thanks for that btw, Hag died with no issues except one dude being left on Death's Door.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I started playing Dragonball Xenoverse again and I'm getting pretty strong reminders of why I stopped.

The game is grindy as gently caress. Want a particular move or item but can't buy it in a shop? Hope you enjoy doing a side mission over and over again while praying it actually drops. Get a max rank on the mission? Still no guarantee you'll get what you want. Or get anything, even.

There are optional side-objectives in the side missions that spawn new, stronger enemies. If you lose to them you still get to keep whatever you've earned so far (usually failing a mission means you lose everything but a pittance of XP). Most of the side objectives are fine, like clear the original enemies in under x minutes, but sometimes you get the joy of allies. I'm trying to get a particular ability and part of the objective is to keep Vegeta above 50% health, which isn't too hard as long as he doesn't feel like planting his face in front of beams. Problem is, if he dies then the mission fails, even though you can normally revive allies. The final part of the mission is against souped up Goku. He can decide to use unstoppable combo break moves as often as he wants, as far as I can tell. He can fire fuckoff beams that give him temporary hyper armour. Unless I manage to hit him with a whole lot of attacks very soon after the charge starts that beam is going to get fired, and vegeta loves to try to block it with his face.

I've cleared that stupid missions 3 or 4 times now with all objectives complete, I think, but it doesn't feel like giving me things.

The best part is when my arm juuuust clips into the beams line of fire, so I get blasted by the whole thing. Oh, and sometimes bosses can decide not to be staggered by your regular attacks. I'm not sure how that works, because sometimes they get staggered too :shrug:

gently caress this game for being fun enough to make me want to go back to it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
How to unlock Super Saiyan Vegeta as a character in Xenoverse:

1. Start up a particular sidequest, beat it a few times. Wonder what the bonus conditions are. Look them up.
2. Find out you have to leave the are where the actual fight takes place. To be fair, this part can be figured out easily enough.
3. Talk to Krillin in this other area. He will join you. Head back to the fight.
4. Let Frieza kill Krillin. Frieza is not guaranteed to target krillin. Frieza is not guaranteed to not be killed by any AI allies you might bring along to ease the tedium of killing 7 chump dudes at the start.
5. Goku will rock up to fight frieza. Eventually so will vegeta. Hopefully vegeta does not die. Kill frieza.
6. Vegeta will go super saiyan and turn on you. Sometimes he will not. You can't get the skill if he doesn't
7. Beat Vegeta. You might get the unlock. You might not.
8. Look it up again and find out it's not even a character it's a skill called 'super vegeta'. What the gently caress?
9. Never bother with this dumbass chain of bullshit.

The game can actually be really fun when it's not letting boss characters be arbitrarily stagger immune and it's not deciding to have the two or 3 strong enemies you have to fight gang up on you instead of splitting up to attack one of your allies. But whoever decided to put random drops after hilariously convoluted condition chains that rely on the AI acting a specific way or not getting killed, some of which may not even happen despite meeting all the requirements, can go gently caress themselves.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
To get bog standard super saiyan, you can either grind one sidequest, where you have to fight some dudes, kill krillin before goku (an actual sensible choice, since he's way weaker), then hope that goku goes super saiyan because sometimes he doesn't. Then you have to hope that SS goku doesn't kill frieza before you kill him, and oh boy does the AI love to stand riiight in front of people charging giant deathbeams. It' still a random drop, of course.

Or you can just play through some more of the main story and buy it, thank god. You have to play through all of the Cell saga and the android saga before it shows up, but the android saga is two fights. You also get to choose your own race, so it's not important at all if you didn't pick Saiyan.

This game would be improved a thousand fold if doing well in a mission and meeting the bonus conditions guaranteed some of this stuff dropped.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Trying to do a strike super character and out of the 3 mentors I've gone to none have given me a single strike super. Just looked it up, guess I'll be hopping on the Hercule train if he shows.

Kay Kessler posted:

A quick tip, if you're doing sidequests as soon as you unlock them, you might want to wait til you're a few levels higher. Levels matter quite a bit in the game. Even though you're only given a few points per level to spend on stats, all your stats increase some as you level. How much each stat goes up depends on the race you picked.

I usually give the new ones a shot but I'm not fussed if I can't beat them. Didn't know all the stats go up, though, so thanks. Does that apply to the fixed characters too?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Thank you.

I have to grind it out if I want it, don't I :smith:

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Have you considered playing a Warrior? :v:

It's a bit too pricey for me to buy the PC port just yet, but back when I played the only real postgame/BB useful weapon I had was the Dragon's Dogma itself, so I was stuck playing sword using classes against anything I wasn't monstrously overlevelled for. Assassin is a great, flexible class, but it kinda sucked having meaningful damage gated behind random drops for anyone else that wasn't a Fighter. Do you get the infinite fast travel stone in the PC version?

One of the best status effects you can apply is most easily gained by upgrading your godawful starting weapons to level 3, IIRC. They're surprisingly difficult to get again if you don't realise this and sell them early on.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That's basically how I feel about it a few hours in now. There's a lot of really good ideas, like the pseudo Colossus mechanics and meteors everywhere, but then the main quest sort of wanders in all apologetic and half assed. Or suddenly 50 wolves come out of nowhere and decide they want to eat your pawns face off and stunlock him to death. The fact there's no actual dodging makes the combat feel really clunky too. You just sort of run around in circles and hope your camera will dislodge itself out of your rear end or the wall so you don't fall off a cliff.

I think either strider or assassin can get a dodge move, tied to daggers. I never got much use out of it, but I don't know if its because it sucked or because I was used to running and jumping around like an idiot to dodge instead.

Have you gotten to the part with the duke? That's amazing. You infiltrate the castle to go talk to the duchess, then he comes up and starts beating her or something. You can intervene to save her, which gets you thrown into the dungeon. Sneak out of the dungeon and you can waltz right back into he castle like nothing ever happened. Talk to the duke, he don't care.

There's a sidequest that can give you the only gold idol you can get in a run, which you give to a shopkeeper to unlock new stock and drop prices a bit. The sidequest is pretty much pure tedium, featuring a game of hide and seek and a race you have to lose, but not by too much.

It's the best worst game :shrug:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Morglon posted:

I hated that loving quest, I bumped into her by accident, got arrested, quest failed, gently caress you.

Well then you can make use of the fantastic checkpoint system and complete lack of separate saves to go back to whenever the last time you slept at an inn was! Unless quests failing auto-checkpoint.

I lost an hour or two of game time once because I didn't know how the checkpoints worked and I tried to escort the male travelling merchant out to the greatwall the moment I hit the city. He kept dying once I got past the misandrist bandits and I didn't know there's barely any consequences to NPCs dying on those quests, so goodbye 5-10 levels and a chunk of items. Had a blast getting there, though.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
There are a lot of people with garbage inclinations on their pawns, but I can't really fault them because there's no way to tell if something is a garbage inclination without taking the time to look it up and it's not exactly easy or quick to change. Special shout out to nexus/medicant for letting me just sit at half health for an indefinite period of time while keeping the pawns I can revive indefinitely in tip-top shape.

The real problem is that you can't just set it without using specific items. Why? Just to fill the equal parts great and terrible quota DD has going, I guess.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Digirat posted:

I want to know how the gently caress 90% of the players whose pawns I look at managed to get guardian on their pawns because it is the worst. It is the worst and everyone has it. Hiring new pawns is really annoying sometimes as a result, and I have to hire new pawns pretty frequently now because you level up very quickly in bitterblack isle. Having to resummon pawns all the time due to their own stupidity is a problem too, because if one of your non-main pawns dies you can't just go to a riftstone and say "hey give me those same pawns again" you have to go into the rift and bother the servers to get their info and rehire them. Also "past summons" is sorted oldest first for some reason, so you always have to scroll to the bottom of that list to get to them again.

I think guardian inclination rises when you use the 'come' command, and depending on what area you're in and what level you're at you might want to use it a lot because if you don't your idiot pawns are going to absolutely try to take on the chimera or hobgoblin swarm or drake or whatever than can murder them in one or two hits.

It also sounds like a good thing to have on a healer pawn, because maybe it makes it prioritise healing/buffing you, or on a tank pawn when you want to play a ranged character, because if something's after you you need the support, right?

e: Want to know what any of these inclination mean, even when they're pretty important in determining the effectiveness of your pawn? gently caress you, look at a wiki. What does scather even mean, anyway?

Gitro has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Feb 23, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Scather means it'll get close and punch the biggest rear end in a top hat it can. Having a Scather pawn means your mage will leap on a dragon's back and start trying to bite it to death. Thanks, wizard. I didn't need your fire anyway! This gets kind of stupid when there are two pawn inclinations that are pretty much described the same as dealing with groups of enemies at range. So good luck figuring out which one makes your pawn blow dudes up and which one makes them run in circles screaming about wolves.

Oh, I know what it does (because I looked it up), I meant that there's no real way to read the name and figure out what it's supposed to do. Medicant and Acquisitor? Sure, those are understandable. Mitigator and Pioneer? Kind of. But what the gently caress is a scather? How does nexus translate to 'helps pawns'? Utilitarian sort of makes sense, but then challenger is sort of similar to scather and guardian is nonsense. The only in-game descriptions are the somewhat easily missable elixirs and the snippets of conversation you can get from the knowledge chairs.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Not if he's quest essential :(

Gitro
May 29, 2013

razorrozar posted:

What exactly does "mantle" mean in this context?

Instead of rubbing their nose or waist on the lip of a ledge the character grabs it and climbs on.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Papers, Please feels a bit too much like actual work for me to enjoy.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Lord Chumley posted:

That doesn't sound very patriotic, comrade.

If I didn't have to let all those foreigners in I wouldn't have a problem :colbert:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Somfin posted:

Skyrim also had a stupid thing with legendaries- they scaled to you at the point when they dropped, so if you did a quest for, say, a superpowered hammer of the gods, and you finished that quest at level 10, you were stuck with the level 1-15 (or whatever) version of that hammer. There were like five versions of each legendary weapon and the last version was just better in every way than the first version.

That started in oblivion. I hate it so loving much. Oh, a fun, unique quest promising powerful rewards? Better leave it until I'm at least level 20 because otherwise I'll get the poo poo tier equipment. God forbid players get something too powerful and break the masterful combat of this elder scrolls game.

One of my favourite oblivion mods added an item rescaler you could activate to re-tier your quest stuff.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Cleretic posted:

That actually started and ended with Oblivion. Skyrim has the ability to have scaled items, but I think the only item you can get that's actually got that scaling enabled is Chillrend, a sword you can steal during the Thieves' Guild questline (that isn't very good anyway). Fallout 3 might have it, but I don't remember seeing it.

Bethesda games have so many things dragging them down that it's hard to keep track of which ones are actually in play at any given point.

Really? Dang. Credit where it's due, bethesda at least doesn't shy away from changing up their game's mechanics in small and large ways. Daggerfall had huge skill bloat that was cut down in Morrowind (and also the random dungeons jesus gently caress), Oblivion saw them switch to a deterministic combat system and Skyrim did away with attributes and the major/minor skill system entirely. I like that sometimes you can see the kernel of the idea in the previous game. Unfortunately some of those ideas are poo poo. At least they got rid of that particular one after one game, although then they level-locked daedric quests anyway.

Don't think it was in FO3 at all.

AlphaKretin posted:

Funnily enough there's one set of equipment in (goty edition but vanilla) Oblivion that you can rescale. The Knights of the Nine Crusader gear can be put back on their pedestal, and taking them off gives you a new, full-condition, level scaled set. :eng101: (:goonsay101:?)

Oh yeah that armour that doing the Dark Brotherhood or Thieves guild questline, or getting caught criming locked you out of on pain of running to a bunch of shrines or some poo poo :shepface:

I kind of like the idea that your mighty smith powers let you turn your average dwarven plate into armour on par with legendary daedric artifacts or hellforged ebony, but it's such a necessary/easy top develop skill for any physical attacker that it really cheapens it. Also the fact that it's probably worthless to strengthen ebony/daedric armour past a point unless you want to play dressups with lesser armour types

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

There's some rationalizations for new-u stations working/not-working that make sense. They don't work for Roland, because as an actual dangerous rebel against Hyperion he was removed from the databanks. But the player character wasn't- at first because Jack doesn't regard you as a threat/is using you to accomplish his goals/gets mad cash when you die. But later on (after Angel's death) it's personal- so you stay in the system because he wants to be the one to kill you, and isn't willing to risk someone else getting you.

Handsome Jack not coming back... I dunno. Too rich is a funny answer, so I like it. Maybe he was just too conceited and proud to even consider death as a possibility.

but really the writers should have realized the problem and addressed it explicitly in game, I think.

Hyperion is cutthroat as poo poo and the boss being dead means there's room at the top. Oh no, somehow his entry has been accidentally deleted/corrupted how could this happen.

It's not even hard to address if they want to treat them as more than a silly gameplay conceit, they just didn't.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, aside from having a horribly annoying story and being a bad RPG, BL2 is also just not a very good shooter. With the the HP scaling, most weapons don't feel particularly powerful and it often takes an annoyingly long time to even just kill regular trash enemies. And for all their touted weapon variety, many of the weapons don't even feel particularly different in terms of actually using them. Most of the time their differences just boil down to how long you need to hold down the trigger until the enemy's dead.

Each manufacturer does something different, like torgue guns don't reload, you chuck them at an enemy and they explode. There's one that's really high damage but low clips, hyperion is lower damage but big clips/fast reload or something, whatever. Between makers they feel distinct most of the time, but yeah the individual guns not so much.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I really didn't like it because it meant I was rarely in a position of having nothing to lose. I felt pressured to be a lot more conservative in an unfun way, so I just played at 75% almost all the time.

Equipped weight also increases fall damage. I can't think of anything in normal play, aside from the well, that involves taking a lot of potentially lethal fall damage in rapid succession. There's no enemies in the well that would interfere with putting all your armour back on, and I'm not sure the game tells you your weight increases fall damage. It certainly didn't in DS1 or Demon's Souls it did in DS1 but it couldn't make a non-survivable fall survivable :aaa: The biggest impact this mechanic has that I can remember is making you waste a little bit of your time if you have almost but not quite enough health to survive the first fall in the well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

So bloodborne, it's apparently the souls fanbase's special baby. Except it does a lot of things that the regular souls games don't do. Like enemies hiding behind the corners with zero warning or way to see.

Does it do it a lot? Demon's Souls definitely did that in a few areas (stonefang and some of boletaria), DS2 did in at least one area (SoFTS, anyway), and I'm not sure if DS1 did DS1 had the Lower Burg with the surprise dogs and the thieves, can't remember if there's more. A few snakemen in Sen's, probably.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Check out Rebel Galaxy. It's basically the ACIV ship combat, but in space and without boarding actions.

I didn't find them more than superficially similar, but Rebel Galaxy is a good game worth playing. Broadsides... in space!