Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I found the stealth in The Last of Us kind of a pain. It worked well up until the point you made a mistake. If you didn't kill an enemy with the pre-animated kill then it was almost impossible to kill him silently. Even if the second an enemy spotted Joel you buried an axe in his head, all the other enemies nearby knew you were there regardless of LoS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

cobalt impurity posted:

I found the stealth to be pretty alright, especially after you get the bow. The worst thing though is one section where there's a tank in the street outside and you have to move from some buildings to a barricade, then across the street to some more buildings to escape. No matter how perfect your stealth has been up to that point, the tank knows where you are and sends people out to find you. They should have no idea you're even there, but I guess there was no contingency plan for a player being good enough to pull that off.

I agree, the tank section made no sense in that regard, at least it was very short. The hotel in the city is where I found the stealth could be really obnoxious.

Mokinokaro posted:

That's why I loved the chaos system in dishonoured. Be a sneaky bugger and the enemy won't even know you've been there. Go on a murder spree and the next levels give you more enemies to deal with.

I liked that as an idea, but it meant that you had alternate endings for the story which are always poo poo compared to one well-written ending. If you did kill everyone you got punished with a poo poo ending so it becomes less "what do I want to do?" and more "well poo poo better reload if I want the better ending"

Personally I prefer sneaking by without anyone noticing, but the game gave offered so many weapons/traps and other creative ways to kill people I felt I was missing out by heading for the good ending.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

cisco privilege posted:

You can actually murder a hell of a lot of people in that game violently and it doesn't really affect the ending as long as you're not witnessed constantly. The only things that can really affect that are the end-mission assassinations.

There was never really a good indicator of how many were ok though. Also one of them is a choice between killing or sending a woman off to be a sex slave, the latter being the 'good' choice.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The boss fights and ending of Deus Ex: Human Revolution are quite a let down. Without spoiling the ending/s, the game just ushers you into a room with four buttons. Whichever button you press gives a different ending. The endings themselves are stock footage with Adam Jensen talking over them. The only redeeming feature is that his dialogue changes based on how many people you killed throughout the game.

The boss fights could only be beaten by combat even though the rest of the game offered multiple paths and ways of achieving your objective. It's not even a matter of difficulty. I played on the hardest mode on a stealth run and still had enough combat skills to beat the bosses without too much stress. It was just a letdown that they only had one way to be beaten.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mikl posted:

Play the Director's Cut version, it solves this problem. There are many ways to beat each boss now.

(However, the Director's Cut comes with a thing dragging it down of its own, namely that it forces you to play through the terrible Missing Link DLC.)

I have the Missing Link DLC, I've only played an hour or so but it seemed fine tbh. Anything in particular bad about? That's great news about the DC Edition though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't mind losing my praxis kits, I'm looking forward to doing the no equipment/upgrades run for the DLC. I felt like the main game was far too giving with praxis kits anyway. How do they do it if the DLC is spliced into the main game? Do you just lose a lot of praxis kits or do they give you back the amount you had?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Missing Link was pretty awesome in general and improved on everything from the game engine to the boss battles to the interactivity (there's a point where you're exploring the office of the DLC's big bad guy and if you look close enough you can find a safe holding his custom revolver and steal it, leaving him without it during the boss battle at the end). It's so weird to me that people bitched about getting too much experience during the main game and then when the devs listened and made you pick and choose from a limited experience pool in Missing Link people turned around and bitched about that too.

That said, it does totally kill the game's pacing dropping it right before the game's final act in the Director's Cut. And the integration of the Director's Commentary in the Director's Cut was pretty poo poo: it's hidden behind an Extras menu with no instructions or fanfare, there's no visual indication of where the hotspots to activate the commentary are or if you've already listened to a piece of commentary or not, and when commentary is playing you can't use area transitions. Also it's automatically overridden by in-game communications, so if you don't just sit there listening motionlessly you'll inevitably be two minutes into a bit and then Malik will message you and you'll have to go back and start the whole message over again. And they just dump commentary non-sequentially so on your first visit to Hengsha you'll find a piece of commentary where they talk about Malik's death and a bunch of other stuff that you won't encounter for another dozen hours.

Which is a shame because the actual commentary is great and refreshingly open and honest.

The limited experience definitely sounds like my cup of tea, on my most recent play I was sitting on 7 or 8 praxis points that I had no need to spend. Speaking of Malik's death/survival, keeping her alive on a pacifist run is one of hardest things I've done in a game.

One thing I will say annoys me about the game is that Adam is kind of a tool. I wish he'd slide his shades away more often when he's talking to people in cutscenes.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Aug 21, 2014

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I did it on a no-augs pacifist run by basically just downing energy bars and using my nonlethal takedown a lot. Sadly, she can't be saved on a no-augs/no-items run.

Do you mean no weapons too? Because I can't imagine doing it without tazing the hell out of people. The worst was when you knocked out a few people and then they died when you blew up the Mech. So you had to KO people then drag them out of the way before blowing it up, all within a strict time limit

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

No-augs/no-items means nothing in your inventory and no spending Praxis. On just nonlethal no-augs it's just a matter of tasing, dropping an EMP on the bot, and running around a lot. You mostly just have to know the order you're going to attack in.

Yeah it took me a few times to memorise my route to KO people as quickly as possible, I imagine no-augs would be the same except mashing my face full of cyberboost bars.

Another thing that annoyed me storywise in the game was how they revealed Darrow was a baddie way before the big reveal. The first time Jensen meets him in Sarif's office he comes off shady as heck and later the very first guard you meet in Omega Ranch basically says "I wish our good buddy Hugh Darrow was still here". Later when Megan mentions Darrow Adam responds as if it's brand new information. poo poo son I heard those guards talking about it, which means you did too.

Also I like your Andrew avatar.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I agree, though considering the original Deus Ex opened with your bosses monologuing about their plans for world domination and then proceeded to spend the next 10-20 hours having JC Denton uncritically working for them it's a step up for the franchise.

I forgot about that, can't you even follow Simmons down to the cells at one point and watch him execute a prisoner? Another thing that it has over the first game is very strong voice acting. The first game belongs in the thread because of it's VA work actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiggum posted:

The thing that pisses me off is how ungrateful he is. Maybe he wouldn't have chosen to get awesome super powers if he had the option, but the alternative was death. Without the augmentation technology, he's dead. "I didn't ask for this." No, because you were dying at the time. Sorry no one stopped saving your life to check whether you wanted to keep living. By the way, that option's still available if you want to take it. Shoot yourself in the head if you'd really rather be dead than augmented.

Jensen not knowing stuff that you've already discovered is really annoying. You hack a computer and find out some stuff, but it doesn't have any effect on plot or dialogue, so when someone tells you later in a scripted scene Jensen will still be surprised even though he should have already known.

Also how he somehow didn't work out that his DNA was what literally every email is talking about. He was just kind of douchey in general too.

Palmersaurus posted:

Was this mentioned in the game?
All I remember is him being pissy about everything from the beginning but not really saying why.
Maybe if there was some more exposition, or the game started earlier during his waking-up/recovery, you'd get a better sense of why everything was so awful.

In the detective sidequest if you convince him to live he'll mention that they did way more work than they needed to. You'll also see it in an ebook in his storage locker.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

At one point in Adam's building you hear someone complaining about an augmented baseball player, something like "they're calling him the best of all time and he has a god drat metal arm".

As for something dragging a game down to an almost unplayable level, I found the brushwork incredibly difficult to do on the Wii version of Okami. Straight lines and circles were hard to do precisely. Straight lines were fine in battle when you could just flick your wrist, but when you had to cross a name off a list it was beyond frustrating. Circles to bloom something were incredibly frustrating as well, especially in the sections were you had to bloom multiple things within a time limit. The playsation version on the other hand made the brush simple to use.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dark Souls 2 has an offline mode, so it isn't like they couldn't implement a pause system for that. I think a Dead Space system would make more sense. You can pause the game for things like options, load, and save but your inventory screen doesn't pause the game. The lack of a pause function doesn't make a game tougher gameplay wise.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Gone Home is a game I had sequence-break to finish so I could add it to the finished-favourites tab in Steam. The reason being is that it's so badly optimised you'd need a Crysis 3 computer worthy enough to play a game where you explore a single, empty house.

The entirety of LIMBO once you leave the woods. When you hit the city you leave behind the lost boys and giant spiders and instead face up with timed-jumps over buzz-saws and goddamn block-puzzles. Also, at no point do they ever mention that the premise is about a boy looking for his sister. I had no real connection with events and I couldn't give a drat about the ending. Just because a story is monochrome and minimalist, it doesn't mean it can substitute emotional groundwork with stylish ambience.

Braid may have been up its own rear end with its story, but it was completely separate from its fun design.

I was wondering why Gone Home stuttered so much on my laptop when it was such a simple game!

Totally agree about Limbo as well, the spider chase was definitely the peak and could have been moved to later.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Oh god the combat in the first Uncharted. I just bought a PS3 off a friend and they threw in Uncharted 1-3. Around Chapter 6 of the first one, I just got tired of having two minutes of puzzle/exploration followed by ten minutes of combat that consists of fighting your way to one side of an "arena" and then back again. After a misstep in the subsequent exploration section pushed me back to redoing the combat, I decided I was no longer engaged in anything I would call "fun" and quit.

That's not even counting the huge loving bugs involved in getting down certain ladders/ropes, where Drake will quite happily hang onto the ledge to the side or in front of the climbing apparatus, but will never attempt to actually mount the ladder/grab the rope. I was convinced I was doing the descent from the tower in Chapter 6 wrong because no matter what I did, Nate would not grab the loving rope.

I felt the exact same! Absolutely hated the combat gameplay in Uncharted 1. Was really reluctant to play 2 but decided to try it anyways and ended up loving it. They get rid of that 'killbox' gameplay.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Alhazred posted:

:byodood:gently caress you

The first time I played a small bit of TLoU I found the bloater quite tough, but the second time when I played through the game I found him easy enough. Just run to the other end of the room and molotov him, rinse and repeat.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm playing the Ni No Kuni post game and a feature that was great during the story has turned against me. If you're a way higher level than monsters in an area they run away from you instead of attacking. That's ideal when you want to explore or look for things but not when you are trying to capture low level monsters as they can outrun your character. If they just slowed down how fast the monsters fled it'd be ideal.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Esroc posted:

One of the better ones? That game was ported perfectly. I have a lovely Lenovo notebook with like 4 gigs of ram, an intel "it turns the screen on and nothing else" video card, and an i3 and the game still runs at full 60fps on medium settings with the slashy option jacked up to max.

I only installed it for shits and giggles and didn't expect it to actually work. Imagine my surprise when I was hacking apart Metal Gears ten minutes later without a stutter in sight.

Definitely picking it up so! Didn't think it'd work on my laptop but if it works on yours it definitely will!

edit: Only 3.99e AKA God's currency

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Dec 19, 2014

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Okay, the thing that's dragging down Revengeance right now is that it's 23 goddamn gigabytes, my fragile Canadian ISP can't deal with it.

I managed to download 19 gigs at work yesterday before I left for the Christmas break! My home broadband can only hit about 300 kb/s, so it's taking a while to finish.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Off-topic but somewhat related. I'm going to start Revengeance soon, is it best with a controller for the PC or mouse and keys? Also what's the best way to use DS3 with steam?

For content: In Final Fantasy X when you're unlocking an ability on the Sphere Grid it doesn't tell you what that ability it'll do. Or if it does then it's awkward to find and equally annoying.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

That scene is unironically the best Metal Gear cutscene.

That honour has to go to either the bro handshake in MGS2, or when Snake first gets to Shadow Moses in MGS and is in utter shock that they have a "Surveillance Camera!?".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The final boss fight in the original MGS is truly awful where you have to fight Liquid on top of metal gear. The game makes you fist fight him but the combat engine is utter dreck. Quite often your first punch will knock him out of reach long enough that your follow up hits land during his 'invincible after being hit' animation. Which would be fine except if you don't land a perfect combo on him he instantly counters and takes off a lot of health.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There's no point in developers trying to make good looking or artistically interesting games because Ókami has already been made. They should just focus on pixels and frames.

For content, MGS2 is amazing but playing as Raiden instead of Snake is definitely a shame. I don't even dislike Raiden, I'm one of the few people who quite liked him even before revengeance. He just looks bad when the game opens with you playing as Snake and in constant codec contact with Snake for the rest of the game. He never measures up when he's constantly juxtaposed with Snake.

Speaking of the tanker opening mission versus the rest of the game; the main game insists on spamming you with codec calls and tutorials on how to do all the stuff you spent the past two hours doing on the tanker.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Who What Now posted:

I've always thought that one of the key themes of MGS2 is that no, Raiden doesn't measure up to Snake but he also doesn't need to anyway. He'll never be Snake and he needs to instead be his own person. I'm pretty sure Snake even says exactly that in the end.

Then in MGS4 he's sorta achieved that but still feels like he's in Snakes shadow or owes him something. Finally in MGR:R he's his own man and fully embraces being a cyborg murder man.

I get that. I mean as a playable character it's harder to enjoy playing as Raiden when the game is constantly reminding you of the much more interesting character you could be playing as the entire time. The character you have played as for three (realistically one) game as, and even started this game playing as.

Also that reminds me of one other annoying thing. It felt very 'my original character fanfic' when Raiden saved Snake from Vamp at the start.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I found Deadlift pretty easy, I was surprised after I heard so many warnings about him. I died quickly the very first time I played with a friend. Then she had to leave and I beat him easily by myself with a gun I got in a side-mission. Maybe they didn't fairly balance boss difficulty with number of players?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JebanyPedal posted:

Clive Barker's Undying, one of the very first games to use the "separate actions for each hand" convention in shooters, had your left hand correspond to your left mouse button, and the right to right.
So calling it a matter of convention that the inverse is the original method is retarded.
That being said, I don't care and it never messes me up. I just wanted to say you're all wrong.

This whole post is pretty bad. Though people complaining about control schemes that are customisable are worse.

For content, not being able to pause cutscenes in the first three MGS games is a nightnare

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I love XCOM: Enemy Unkown/Within and had it on PC before it stopped running, so I got it on PS3 a few months back. My problem is with the PS3 version. When moving soldiers in the PC version you have a clear grid and selector of where that soldier will move. For some reason they made it invisible it in the PS3 version but the soldiers still move in the same way. It can cause some imprecision at critical times in a very unforgiving game.

Images of what I mean

vs

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TheSpiritFox posted:

My PC version looks like the top picture. You might want to check in settings because I'm pretty sure the movement grid can be turned on or off (I prefer it off)

Maybe the default settings are different on the versions, I'll look into it. Thanks for the info

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

I love the game too but there are a lot of little things that drag it down, and most of them are fixable problems if the developer just gave half a poo poo.

Most notably I think is the way the game steals control from you all the time. The biggest offender is the first time you encounter intact UFO components and you have to sit through 30 goddamn seconds of Dr. Scientist and Dr. Engineer without being able to skip the dialogue, move your camera, or do anything else. Every game. Game: Sometimes I want to play you on a very hard difficulty, which means I will be restarting a lot. I know to be careful with flight computers and ufo power sources after 100 times hearing about it. gently caress. Off. The NPC escort/rescue missions are awful for this too. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they had more than 3 repeating lines but sometimes I need to spend a half dozen turns or more slowly advancing and suppressing so that your impatient rear end doesn't get liquefied the moment I get near you.

The other way it steals control is that you can't open the goddamn menu when the aliens are having a turn. I'm sorry, I didn't know X-Com was supposed to be a JRPG complete with unskippable cutscenes every 5 minutes. Because that's what the enemy turns are. I don't really care if it's a turn-based game and I don't need to pause ever, sometimes I just want to quit and I don't want to wait for a whole turn to play out. Double the fun if everyone on your squad panics at once. I know I'm toast, game, just let me loving quit and start a new one.

Not Sure about Unknown maybe it got patched but definitely in Enemy Within in the options before you start you can choose to reduce beginner VO. So that means none of Vahlen's "Be careful not to use explosives". Really helps. You should look into the development of teh game, the developer had 2 nervous breakdowns while trying to make the game

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/1/31/3928710/making-of-xcoms-jake-solomon-firaxis-sid-meier

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah, the option is called "Reduce Beginner VO" and the examples I cited are specifically not affected by that. They also happen to be the longest clips. There's still no reason to steal your camera and controls, or at least no reason to hold onto them for the entire duration of the clip; point me at the thing of interest, start the audio, then let me get back to the game while you yammer in the background, if you must.

They do it for the sake of the narrative, but this is a loving strategy game. After the first playthrough I want to skip the stuff that doesn't do anything for the gameplay, by and large.

I played 3 games of ironman last night and it barely affected me, I can't recall losing camera control. Even if they did there's only like one or tow of those clips with reduced vo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

They play each clip once per game, the first time you see each device intact, and I promise you it steals your camera control (on the PC anyway). Also it happens with every target extraction council mission; when you reveal the target they will say something every turn until you get near them.

It "drags the game down," it doesn't ruin it.

I dunno it seems quite petty and infrequent. That said there are tiny things in games that infuriate me beyond all reason. Let's just agree that the trainyard map is loving bullshit

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Irving posted:

PYF thing dragging down gaming journals:

I like polygon's articles, but I loving HATE their layout for a lot of articles. Tiny unreadable blue font on a black background, gigantic images interrupting the text, gifs in the body of the article that you can't stop seeing out of the corner of the eye when you're trying to read the goddamn text, sign me the gently caress up!

Yeah it's awful, a lot of the time I assume it's still loading and about to reformat itself but nope.

V interesting article though

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hobo By Design posted:

I'm playing Dishonored, I'm guessing a third of the way through. Playing nonlethally is weird. There are nonlethal options for "assassination" targets, and mechanical benefits too. But everyone is some combination of vicious, conniving, or an outlaw. Corvo, the main character, is a blank slate protagonist of generically high station and there's nothing to suggest he'd be any different. I like the flexibility of playing nonlethally but it doesn't make sense in the game's setting.

Why doesn't it make sense? Corvo can be either good or bad. I agree moral choice systems are awful, but I don't think a "pure" run is narratively dissonant.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A stealth run is always harder, though I'm biased because I much rather them. I think it's justifiable that Corvo wouldn't murder all the guards as they're just following orders and he probably knows a lot of them. As for primary targets the 'non-lethal' method is often far crueler than death. It also means the public aren't as freaked out by politicians stepping down or disappearing as they would be if all the Lords had been ripped apart by an assassin. Making it easier for Emily to resume the throne later.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I laugh every time I remember that Corvo's got 18 lethal options and 2 non-lethal ones when it comes to combat

It's the same in every game because there are so many ways to kill someone but very few ways other than darts to knock them out. Not that unusual, hth

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The game is very obviously balanced around you killing lots of people because they give you way more tools to do it. You can be stealthy but also lethal and that's what they expect you to do; it's the reason he has an unlockable skill that makes bodies disintegrate on death. The guy was the personal protector of the empress, I really doubt he's got a problem killing people in his way especially now that he has been Dishonored™. I'm glad that they put in non-lethal options for the major bad guys but the tranquilizers/choking/etc were always there. It's nice that they put in the option for people to play how they want to play it but there is no denying that the developers had a playstyle in mind when they were creating the game and its mechanics.

My point is that most games that focus on stealth tend to have a deluge of murder skills and few nonlethal ones, the MGS games and the new Deus Ex for example. You don't need as many non-lethal skills because for the most part you'll be avoiding people altogether, and it's supposed to be "the hard but honest" path in most games.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Those games don't suffer for it, Dishonored does. But it's only if you decide to play it that way. :shrug:

I don't see how? I played it on the hardest mode for a no kill never been seen run and found it challenging but no more than you'd expect. I don't think it negatively affects general gameplay, and I think it is perfectly balanced for no kill runs. Narratively it's quite easily justifiable too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

Pretty much. I'm not as big of a fan of the expanded non-lethal tool set coming in Dishonored 2, but I would love if the non-lethal methods are still as horrific as they were in the first game. It added a new level of hosed up normally reserved for doing what jesus would do option, making it an awesome change of pace.

Stuff for DS2 has been released? I hope they have not made non-lethal runs too easy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The story makes it clear that if you kill everyone you get the "bad ending", moral choice systems ruin games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Woops wrong thread