Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Morpheus posted:

Lets say you have a level with 100 objects. The player finishes the level, so you tell your game engine to clean up each object. Oops, you missed a pot in the corner of the room. So now that pot's data is ready in the game's memory, waiting to be deployed at any time (without any loading!). That's fine, it's just a pot, maybe 50 vertices and a texture, nothing too bad. But it's actually in a room that the player needs to go through repeatedly, so every time the level loads, it loads 100 objects, and only discards 99 when they leave. So that pile of unremoved pots, vertices and textures, just starts piling up in the corner, until the game suddenly says "Hey I want to load 100 objects" but you've got 4000 pots in the corner, and not enough memory to load the 100 objects it needs. So it crashes.

Thank you, I've always wondered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I actually didn't know initially that Bug type was a superhero joke, so my reasoning for why they beat psychic was simply that they didn't have higher brain function due to being insects, so didn't have anything that a psychic could read.

That seems a lot more reasonable than my at-the-time assumption that psychic powers take a lot of concentration, and bugs are gross, thus granting malus to spellcasting.

Edit: My favorite gently caress up from Gen 1 is dragon type moves. What's dragon type strong against? Other dragons. What dragon type moves are there? Only one, Dragon Rage. What does Dragon Rage do? Deals exactly 40 damage regardless of weaknesses, resistance, or any other factors.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jan 22, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Tunicate posted:

also in gen 1 ghost type would always miss psychic instead of being super effective

giving things poison type I THINK was supposed to be a bit of a boost because it made you immune to poison status, but the weakness to psychic really ended up screwing over everything that had it, including basically all grass types

iirc the Bulbasaur line was poison/grass, which was a strange choice even in the vacuum of the first gen

Something like 1/5 of the first pokemon gen was poison type or poison hybrid.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I am really glad that Two Point Hospital does a mostly good job at recapturing the magic of Theme Hospital, but there are so many little things that get in the way of being a really chill management game.

- There are too many objects that need to be individually placed over your hospital or rooms. You can copy and entire room and build duplicates elsewhere, but you still need to drop the objects manually when you first build one, or when they're in the halls. I'm still on the 3rd mission and so far I have: garbage bins, air-cons, multiple kinds of posters, snack machines, drink machines, plants, benches, magazine stands, hand sanitizers, fire extinguishers, and the list keeps growing.

- Adding to that: Aside from their natural objectives(Fire extinguishers for when a machine gets caught on fire, hand sanitizers for more hygiene), you need to add all that stuff in the rooms to raise their Prestige, making them more attractive to the staff and more of a pain in the rear end to build.

- And you have to unlock several of these objects with a currency you earn from completing objectives, which limits your choices for getting the really good ones for absolutely no reason.

- One of the recurring objectives in stages is to reach a certain level with your Hospital, which is affected by a variety of stats but mostly by building new rooms, meaning that at some point you'll just copy your most expensive facilities for no reason other than reaching that goal.

- Your staff has limited slots of new abilities to learn and the selection you can pick is severely bloated. I figure that was supposed to help you specialize certain people in specific roles, like having a Doctor that excels at diagnosing or a Nurse that works better at the Ward, but in the end it just gets in your way, as they have at most six slots for abilities(I think) and already come with some of them filled, sometimes even repeated ones.

- You can't set your staff to take a break when they reach a certain percentage of fatigue, ending with some of them working to almost full exhaustion while others go rest after just a few patients, and your queues reaching absurd lengths.

- The in-game radio loving sucks.

Agreed on all counts. I also don't like that training takes forever, is expensive and rarely offers anything good enough to off set the fact that you've been out a doctor/nurse/whatever for such a long time.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I loving adore Dragon Quest Builders 2 but why would you map "change tool" to the same button as "talk" when there's someone following close behind you for 90% of the game?

Edit: And he doesn't go away when you're in base at the Island of Awakening like he does on other islands :(

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Jan 31, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Olive! posted:

There's an option to change the tool-switching controls, at least on ps4. I definitely picked a different one for that exact reason when I played that game.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm playing on PC with a 360 controller and I don't think X is used for anything, gonna try that.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Dragon Quest Builders 2 imposes on the creative spirit a bit too often for my liking

You get a giant flat area in the desert of your free-build island, so I built a cool town

Then I completed the second island and a bunch of people came back home with me to live in the desert. Awesome. However, to continue the story, I have to tear down my town and allow them to build a giant gently caress-off pyramid for no goddamn reason. Like it's annoyingly huge and serves no purpose and oh cool the top section is off center and ugly and now I have to snake a minecart track through it, also to continue the story

Just let me loving buuuuild

I like the story, I like the management, I love the building, but give me a sandbox ffs and stop building your ugly poo poo in the middle of it

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Morpheus posted:

I played through the entire game and got the plat, and except for the required stuff I never built outside of the farming town you make. It was just too much, and I didn't want to start from scratch again, I just wanted to build one big Town full of people.

I'd be totally on board with doing that, but I really like the desert aesthetic too. rectangular adobe buildings are my poo poo. Also I can't get my townfolk to poop fast enough to make a decent amount of worm food so desert it is for now

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

That sounds like it owns though

You'd think? And yet it's PG Japanese perversion, so it's actually really tiresome and repetitive. Also all the characters are DQ style Chibis and it all feels really uncomfortable after a while.

Good game, though.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Back when it came out, MP3 was dragged down for me by being 35 gigs in size; enormous even for a AAA PC game at the time. For reference, Skyrim and all DLC, which released less than a year earlier, topped out at ~12.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I like Ring Fit Adventure but it asks me every single day whether I'm comfortable with the difficulty level and as far as I can tell there is no neutral response in the first round of questions. It's just two variations of "It's too easy" and two variations of "It's too hard", so you have to select one, go through the annoying corresponding prompt to raise or lower the difficulty, and say "Nah, it's good"

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Is this any good? Might be some motivation to do some exercise at home. How's it all work?

I've only been at it a week, but I'd say it's very good. The Adventure of it is a huge series of short missions where you jog in place with a joycon strapped to your leg while holding a motion sensor exercise ring. A typical level has you jogging across a landscape while using the ring to blast objects or vacuum up items. Occasionally the jogging is broken up with places where you have to run fast or lift your legs especially high, like running against a conveyor belt or wading through water. There are branching paths a la Sonic that'll drop you down if you're messing up these parts. The other element is the battles; you encounter monsters that you attack by doing exercises with the ring, like pressing the ring in over your head or doing squats. Between the ring and the leg strap it does a pretty great job of keeping track of your movement. You earn experience points for all the workouts you do, which it breaks down after the level.

Other than the adventure, there's also some really fun minigames, and it'll lead you through a customized cool down stretch whenever you stop for the day. It's good at letting you go for as long or short a time as you want, and do whatever levels/minigames you feel like. My complaints aside it's also very good at letting you adjust difficulty.

I thought the ring would be more fragile than it is, but it's tough and takes significantly more force than I expected to compress or stretch out.

The story is a story, but that's not why you're here.

The best thing I can say for it is that it does a good job of making me forget I'm exercising. You're definitely still jogging in place and doing body weight exercises, but if your biggest problem with working out is boredom, this is definitely worth it.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Feb 6, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Con:

The in-game ring 'character' is definitely getting a boner from being crushed between thighs.

He says some weird poo poo from time to time

YOUR SWEAT MAKES YOU LOOK SPARKLY AND GREAT

imagine that in the earnest tone of sonic the hedgehog, but higher pitched

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Someone please tell the developers of Dragon Quest Builders 2 that the combat is the worst part of the game and building an entire island around combat was a terrible, terrible idea that shouldn't be repeated in the (hopeful) sequel.

I came here to build cool poo poo. Stop sending endless loving waves of assholes at me. The only way to directly engage with combat is your one basic attack (or the mostly useless spin attack), enemies have a poo poo load of health, but they aren't very dangerous, so even with all my endless traps and friends and everyone having the bestest weapons ever it's a tedious affair of tapping the attack button over and over and over until you want to cry. It's so goddamn boring and if the attack wave isn't a scripted story event I don't even get the clean up crew to automatically fix my precious buildings

And oh cool you dropped me back on my home island but now to progress the story I have to make a whole new killing field full of traps that take forever to make, and I don't even have my demon buddy to kill them faster/let me do my finishing move

I wouldn't care if this wasn't an outstanding game, but I'm trying to create my verdant gay communist resort utopia and the story keeps getting in the way.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Seedge posted:

Two Point Hospital is basically Theme Hospital, but.

I hate the level of minutiae it seems to expect. Oh, the Ward needs a nurse. Better make sure that nurse has Ward perks, or your patients have a 60% chance to be cured, failing emergencies! You could train a nurse, but you need another nurse with that skill to train the new one for 60 days while your finances skirt bankruptcy because you need twice the staff because of 20 day breaks and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I just want to build a tidy machine. I really wish there was a sandbox mode.

I put down the game after about 5 hospitals because of this exact tedium. I love managent games, but you can't put all this boring nonsense into such a silly game.

My complaint today is that the starter exercises in Ring Fit Adventure get outclassed almost immediately, which would be fine if they weren't representative of doing actual exercise. Why would I ever do 30 reps of punching myself in the dick to deal 20 damage when I could instead gently wave my arms over my head to deal 90? I haven't done a squat in 3 worlds because of this.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

People can give Halo: CE all the poo poo they want, but those dedicated grenade buttons were an eye-opener for me as a lad.

Those were good grenades, too! You couldn't cook them but the human grenade didn't bounce stupidly and it killed the gently caress out of things while the plasma grenade could go crazy far and stick to people. Mind blowing that a ~20 year old game did so many things right.

But in the spirit of this thread, I really miss hijacking when I go back to Halo CE.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Mapping crouch to ctrl seems even more absurd to me than mapping it to c.

I always map it to left alt and hit it with my thumb.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

If you want a harder Pokemon, there are some excellent ROM hacks of the first 5 or so generations out there. I played Blaze Black 1 + 2 and thought they both hit a sweet spot between the braindead default difficulty and the grognard EV trainer nerd bullshit that many difficulty hacks employ. Plus you can pretty easily play on any modernish phone.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Ring Fit is outstanding and it's actually getting me into something resembling a respectable state of fitness BUT I can't figure out why my running is so much slower than my partner's. We step at the same pace and lift our legs just as high but she is actively dashing 80% of the time while I jog at a leisurely pace. I played on her account and it dashed for me, she played on mine and it was very slow. We're the same height and playing the same difficulty level, so I really don't get it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I got CoD: WWII in a humble bundle a while back and installed it today out of isolation induced boredom. It's not great.

What really drags it down for me is the sound mixing/audio is awful. I've never been so unimpressed with a Normandy landing in a video game. All of my weapons are muted, squad member's weapons don't appear to make any sound at all, explosions feel far off and there's no cool music. I thought something was wrong with my settings so I looked up gameplay footage on youtube and it was equally underwhelming. I even went back to play CoD 1 and the sound was so much more; sharper reports, machine gun fire drowning out everything, people yelling in my face. I could tell where people were and which side they belonged to based on the sound of their weapons. It was awesome!

Gonna try the second level but only to give it a fair shake.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Ring Fit Adventure continues to be the only reason I'm in any kind of shape but about halfway through the main adventure it gets allergic to letting you just jog. I just now finished a session with over an hour of movement time and less than one mile jogged. It's annoying, I just want to chill out and run to advance the story a little but every 50 feet it's like TIME TO DO SQUAT BLASTERS TIL YOU poo poo

Also I don't like how this game thinks that squats in general are the easiest thing ever. I have two attacks of the same tier that do about the same damage, one is doing 22 overhead wide squats, the other is doing jazz hands for ~30 seconds. There's a stark loving difference in respective difficulty of these two sets, Nintendo!

And gently caress the squat cart. I don't even mind riding a cart powered by squats, but when it limps uphill two inches for every squat I want to kill myself.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I have had my joycons for 2 years and have had no problems with them. I think maybe this is karmic rebalance for my 360 red ringing 5 times. Or I just jynxed myself.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Len posted:

"The people like your scenery but you need fences!"

*Puts down fencing*

"The people think you island lacks appealing scenery"

I hope someone puts chocolate in her dinner.

Hey now, don't shoot the messenger. Isabelle is merely a representative for your island's petty and contrarian local populace, and you're the damned fool who decided to listen to their harebrained demands.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Can a smart person explain to me why every other game I get has to install DirectX? It's dragging down a lot of games that I want to play, lately.

Edit: Okay, you know what? gently caress GTA 5 in general. I'm not even playing the drat game yet and I'm tired of it

First download the hundred gig game, then install it, then install Direct X, then download the Rock Game Launcher, then it can't verify the game with the Epic Launcher, so you have to restart both, then I have to create a Rockstar Social account, which is capped off by 5(!) captchas where I identify crosswalks in pictures, but poo poo I got it wrong so I have to do a bonus captcha, but whoops the username is taken so I have to chose another name and do MORE CAPTCHAS, gently caress them up, do MORE CAPTCHAS, verify my email, link my Rockstar Social account with my Epic account, and then, a solid half hour after the game was installed I get to play it. gently caress. this. noise. I had to fill out less information to take out a house loan.

Edit 2: Never mind I also had to log into my Rockstar Social Account and fill out more captchas, which were wrong so I had to do 5 of them.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 23:55 on May 18, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Everyone on my team survived except jack, who died unceremoniously after the final battle because of ????

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I'm not a gun person, but akimbo pistols is one of those things I'd really like to try just once.

Anyway, I'm a veteran of the later 2D fire emblems, and I think Fire Emblem: Three Houses is fantastic. It's my first FE in 15 years and I love the greater game play variety and better narrative, but I think the visual style is a step down. That's not to say that I want it to be 2D, but the 2D games had better animations, better visual clarity, and some really outstanding sprite art for such small features. Three Houses, on the other hand, is not a pretty game. It's not an ugly game, but a lot of the textures are muddy and bland, the terrain is sometimes difficult to read, and a lot of the battle animations are second-rate. It almost seems like the developers are uncomfortable with 3D games in general, like the camera is pretty awful inside and outside of battle and the monastery feels blocky and not very intuitively laid out.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

There's a 40k meme that goes something like "Foolish Mon-Keigh, you should have trusted us!" and "Foolish Mon-Keigh, you never should have trusted us!", which pretty succinctly sums up the entire canonical history of Eldar/Human relations.

I'd find it but :effort:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Leal posted:

Really why use anyone when you can get Lorenz cause he is handsome and also gives the paralogue for Thyrsus and then get Lysithea to use Thyrsus and loving MURDER EVERYTHING

'cause he's a ding dong fucko creepazoid incel surfing on a wave of trust funds and horseshit, gently caress em

I instantly dropped him in favor of Sylvain, #1 sex-haver and bad-boy. He and Claude are my friends and they kiss A LOT

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is too easy on Normal mode. I have no idea what I'm doing and my tactics boil down to "Put the tough guys in the front" and none of my guys have been in any real danger in 4 calendar months (on month 7 right now)

Sylvain hasn't even taken damage in about that long. I'm recruiting everyone I can just so I can spread out the exp and get some fresh, under developed soldiers on the field so I feel at least some amount of vulnerability. Even type disadvantaged matchups are a joke, Lysithea will take 5 damage from a dude with an axe and just instantly nuke them with magic. I have never lost a soldier or used a divine pulse, and most matches I go without healing anyone. I never use combat maneuvers or whatever they're called, and never use battalion gambits. Hell, I was looking forward to the battle of the eagle and the lion but my troops were an unstoppable wave of death limited only by their movement speed.

I'm hoping for a difficulty spike at some point because I'm not interested in restarting on hard when I'm this far in.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Not sure if it exactly fits what you're looking for, but what about the end of an XCOM mission that won't end until you've killed everything, so you spend god knows how long painstakingly moving around the map to find one low level alien hiding in a corner somewhere? I really appreciate not having to put up with that bullshit in Chimera Squad.

Strongly agree. Spending untold hours creeping your dudes around maps that are three times as big as they need to be is such a buzzkill. Especially when you still manage to accidentally activate a pod with your last guy.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

There are a million things dragging down Fallout 4, and I've successfully modded out most of them, but something that persists is how often companions get in the drat way in the middle of a fight. Whether I can't make a VATS shot because Ada's arm is right in front of my face or I get gunned down because my fluffy puppers is standing directly underfoot while I try to take cover, companions can be a loving drag.

Also I'm running so many mods that basically every piece of junk has value, and the repetitive "WHY EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS CRAP" lines are really starting to grate. I rebuilt the entire commonwealth with coffee cups and hairbrushes, Deacon, just trust me, here.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

SubNat posted:

The annoyance there seems to be more that the followers constantly play the same voice clips to perpetually comment on the same interaction. Which 100% was a thing in the base game pre-modding as well.
All junk has value if you want to interact with the settlement building system, or crafting system, to almost any degree, mods or no mods.

You got it. In the vanilla game there's a point at which I stop picking up desk fans because they're no longer useful. In Horizon Overhaul you keep picking them up because they have parts that can be destroyed and sorted into alloys that can make your weapons, armor, and power armor significantly stronger, so the problem never goes away.

I really should just mod it out, though.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

The lighting engine in Dark Souls 3 is awful in situations that the game throws at you constantly. Any time you're in a dark or dimly lit area - like 90% of the game - every single surface glistens and shimmers like everything is coated in grease, and every light source looks like a spotlight shined on a crinkled piece of aluminum foil.

I had a similar problem with Bioshock when it first came out. The lighting in that game gave me a headache and everything looked like poo poo coated in vaseline.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I didn't find Fallout 4's main plot to be too atrocious, but for Fallout 3 the best way to play is simply not to engage with the plot at all.

Skyrim's main story is definitely dumb.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I picked up Ori and the Blind Forest the other day and while it's a beautiful, fun, emotional affecting metroidvania I've got four peeves:

1. The distinction between enemy projectiles that you can dash through and ones you can't seems entirely arbitrary

2. Your attack is so colorful and bright and it's trajectory so random that it frequently obscures incoming projectiles in the visual noise of it all

3. There's a weird difficulty spike like 30 minutes in when you have maybe 4 health total but enemy attacks suddenly start doing 2 damage so your survivability falls off a cliff until you get dashing, double jumping, and gliding, which suddenly opens you up to a massive number of health upgrades.

4. The dumb little pustule thing that shoots out three projectiles that turn into little spiky landmines is a dogshit tarpit enemy in a game that otherwise allows you an incredible feeling of agility and momentum, especially since it's one of the enemies who's projectiles are not dashable for whatever reason.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I know of few instances of developer overconfidence in videogames greater than Bethesda deciding to add a mode that heavily restricts saving to a game where you can very easily trip over a car fatally

Really it lends a lot of tactical weight and tension, knowing that one false step could make fall me through solid ground, dying

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Jun 30, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I wasn't as quick on the uptake but in Episode 3 I realized the Carly/Doug(?) choice amounted to a couple of lines at the end of Episode 1, a few lines at the beginning and end of Episode 2 (since the character you chose is off-camera for most of it) and a few lines in Episode 3 before they get unavoidably murked

On the bright side TellTale never updated their lovely engine or development style, everyone realized it was poo poo and they folded HARD

Tales from the Borderlands was the only one I played with good enough writing to get over the jank and meaningless decisions.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Okay, TellTale shutting down because it's games were lovely was a bad take on my part, full stop.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Super Mario Odyssey is loving fantastic but the luncheon kingdom gives me a headache to look at. I thought my TV's settings were off but even playing it undocked it's too bright and contrasty and just kinda ugly as poo poo beside the fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Also, while it was hyped at the time, I'm pretty sure in retrospect everyone who played Fallout 4 after Fallout 3/New Vegas hated every single change it made, most of which were to make it a less player-directed experience.

Out of everything that Fallout 4 changed about the 3/NV era, I enjoyed:

Better shooting/combat (still not *good*, but improved)
Removing the durability mechanic
The overall improved animations, art direction, and visual fidelity
Armor/Weapon modding
Junk actually being useful
Power armor revamp

Also I think it had a more cohesive world and better companions than 3

Yet we're still moving further and further from God's loving embrace the longer Bethesda controls the license.