Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Len posted:

Yet noone said a thing about Buff McSquareJaw genociding large amounts of Chinese people or Leon murdering the entire population of Not-Spain.

Literal spear-throwering enemies, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ChaosArgate posted:

No? Dude there are creepy fans of literally everything. You might as well say everything you've ever enjoyed has been brought down by their creepy fans.

Isn't that what SomethingAwful.com is founded over?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

This statement doesn't really follow that one. Nerds are meek passive wallflowers who doesn't come within a thousand miles of the kind of lunatic survivalists you see in post-apoc media. Aggressive assholes live, nice people die. Or it would be more accurate to say that nice people die sooner because ha ha, post-apocalypse mortality rates

They're talking about the real life reasons these stories are made, not the in universe logic (which is made by the writers).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Old World Blues was pretty decent generally speaking but I still have an overall negative opinion of it just for the beginning where you're frozen in place and forced to listen to some of the most godawful attempts at humor I've ever had to endure ("penis-shaped feet!" :downsbravo:) for like half an hour.

It was pretty good once that bit was over, but yeesh.

God that intro. It's pretty much the only case where I was presented a giant dialogue tree and all I wanted to do was get out.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

J-Spot posted:

I appreciate how New Vegas supports different character builds much better than FO3 but the latter is a much better action game. The thing that drags New Vegas down for me is the poo poo ton of quests where you just ping pong between NPC's and do nothing else of interest. One of the worst offenders is the quest G.I. Blues which has you go back and forth between characters in a giant empty environment that is sectioned off by loading screens. To do the quest "correctly" you have to go find even more NPC's to talk to. It's kind of interesting for exactly one play through since you're going around and investigating stuff, but on subsequent runs the amount of time you waste walking and looking at load screens really stands out.

Yeah the sheer amount of times you have to go to the other side of town to have a conversation that consists of "hey X said this" "X said that? OK" is silly. I honestly wouldn't have minded if the NPCs just communicated psychicly instead, my immersion/realism/agency be damned.

mycot has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Dec 24, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

I think the big Les Miserables movie from a few years ago is why a bunch of games coming out now have musical numbers since games love to copy whatever is big in movies at the time. I know that the people making FFXV wanted to re-do the game as a musical after they saw it but their bosses wouldn't let them because by that time they had been working on that one game for roughly as long as it took for the entire Mass Effect trilogy to be released.

I doubt that's the case for Dragon Age, since as mentioned before it's really just carrying the tradition of the awkward singing from the first game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tweet Me Balls posted:

If you get the Kings to make peace with the NCR and side with Mr. House, he will kill them to the last man despite the fact that they have stabilized the slums he has neglected for his overarching goals.

There is a bunker of fairly well equipped but largely outmatched cultists known as the Brotherhood of Steel, and if you want to play House's game, you have to kill them to the last man because they could possibly pose a threat. Somehow.

I mean, don't get me wrong, House is a smart guy and knows exactly what he's doing, and he's not really different from anyone who's ever been in power ever, but it's easier to have a problem with the "breaking a few eggs to make an omelette" philosophy when it's being imposed by a single technocratic capitalist overlord.

The other endings for the Kings pretty much state that the bad things that happen to them is more out of spite than anything else. Which isn't much better.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Szurumbur posted:

Options that are not explained, especially if they're translated in a weird way; I'm playing Saint's Row 4: Re-elected and there are some options which are a complete mystery to me, so I just left them alone. Some joker also translated one of the Picture options as "Show grain" (as in, a grain of wheat, for example): I assume it means film grain effect, but really now.

Also I wish I could pull the camera a bit back, it's far too close to my character for my liking, especially since it can't evade tight spaces well.

What language is it? "Show Grain" is really something.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Transistor is basically The Zybourne Clock only with circuits instead of steam and the "Hold it, buster!" girl as the protagonist.

I knew that a developer of Fallout New Vegas posts here sometimes, but I had no clue there was an elaborate Something Awful reference in the game. :psyduck:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lord Lambeth posted:

There is at least two. Johnny and a Gauss rifle named after Your Console Sucks.

edit: it is okay to not like things but can we please not fight about not liking things

I find it hilarious that people can be so thin skinned about people making mean comments about video games in a thread like this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kalos posted:

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons

I'm laughing and I don't know why.

Kaubocks posted:

The writing of TPS is insanely hit and miss (I say this as someone who genuinely enjoys the writing of BL2) and I haven't tried any TVHM stuff but I really like the moon physics, cryo guns, and new characters. Definitely at least give it a shot.

This is pretty much my opinion by the word.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

This makes it pretty true to the IP then, since the original Silent Hill lifted a lot of its characters and locations from random movies and actors since they were a small team of Japanese dudes making a game set in America and that was their only reliable source of reference material in the late 90s.

Kaufman is literally just Michael Madsen and the elementary school is composited from the sets of Kindergarten Cop, for example.

This is amazing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kimmalah posted:

I like this. "Silent Hill plots are bad except for everything that makes up a plot, which is good."

What? Haven't you ever seen something where you liked the writing but you can't even describe what the Actual Main Plot was?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, the second game is using rape as gameplay now? :stare:

Oh god the entire conversation must look horrible out of context.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Mister Adequate posted:

What sort of liberal schools do your kids go to, that you think rape and genocide are appropriate topics for them?

Aren't Clockwork Orange and Diary of Anne Frank standard high school books?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

That was old Bioware, before they got bought out by EA and all the old guard jumped ship. If DA:I is any indication then instead of having a racist party member in ME4 everybody will be a perfect rolemodel of progressiveness and saying hurtful things to an alien will objectively be more evil than committing genocide.

What are you even trying to parody? If there's any series that can't be accused of having too little elf racism, it's Dragon Age.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Alouicious posted:

there's a thing where if you're transphobic to a trans member of a mercenary group the rest of the mercenary group doesn't like you very much and for some reason that drives people insane

I'm just amazed that DA has like 5 different and separate kinds of fantasy racism (mage, Elf, Qunari, etc.) with almost every party member indulging in at least a couple (one is a slavery advocate for crying out loud), but apparently that's not enough alien racism.

mycot has a new favorite as of 02:31 on May 6, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Alteisen posted:

Actually its because being rude to her is the single most damaging thing you can do in the entire game reputation wise, nothing else comes even close to the loss of approval if you're rude to that person.

"Actually" my rear end, it was a stupid post.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Bioware's hilariously uneven morality judgements have always been funny, the people rushing to defend this one because it's a facile appeal to their identity politics are literally the same as the people defending TOR having torturing and enslaving somebody be a Light Side action because :tvtropes:

I don't even know/care if the approval thing is correct because I never bothered to look up the numbers, I said why what you said about the characters being a no-conflict zone was mindbogglingly incorrect.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Alouicious posted:

we put a little baby fat on her, made her look scared and vulnerable, we really want the player to say to himself "i'm protecting lara"

That game had the most hilariously bad PR dudes ever. It's on the same level as that one localizer dude that makes a big deal about STAND AGAINST CENSORSHIP every time a anime boob game comes out.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TheSpiritFox posted:

What happened to your avatar? I loved that avatar.

It got replaced with a red hammer at some point (?? Someone with more knowledge of gamergate probably knows what that means.)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Cleretic posted:

And as I recall, there are no betrayals in Borderlands 2 anyway.

Well there's Angel. But they make a similar joke out of it there since the villain spends the entire lead up to it literally snickering about it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Which was based almost entirely off of player feedback from the disastrous first launch, which makes it even more asinine.

Well, you like SWERY, right? In an interview he very matter-of-factly said he doesn't listen to the opinions of anyone who isn't another game developer when working on games.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lotish posted:

I think the guys who make Smash Bros said the exact same thing.

It's a pretty common sentiment even outside of video games, there's an almost identical quote from a Clover Studio developer centering around Viewtiful Joe's giant head (paraphrasing, "well I think his head is cool, suck it focus group kids"). It's a complicated topic that's really inappropriate for a black/white outlook.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

swamp waste posted:

Yeah i have to say "you don't know how to do game design" is a valid response to this. Like does the dude think they didn't iterate on the game balance at all, and that there would be zero unforeseen problems when he starts tweaking mechanics in this gigantic jenga tower of mechanics

It's true, it's not the nice thing to say but sometimes the usefulness of a person's advice is limited by their own knowledge. To borrow from the cake analogy, a non chef could tell a cake tastes awful but they might not be able to actually tell how to make it taste better.

Of course in the real world people don't have to choose between only two extremes of "don't listen to ANYONE" or "take absolutely everyone's word dead seriously", but I think anyone sane or not being deliberate dense understands that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Any time a game has a home base that you visit throughout the game and it has conspicuous locked doors, grapple points, or other gameplay elements they may as well just put up a big flashing neon sign that says "YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A FIGHT HERE AT THE END OF THE GAME" and get it over with.

What game(s) are you talking about? I can't think of any where that happens.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kaubocks posted:

it's me

I like the borderlands games

I do too. Sorry dudes I'm too mainstream.

mycot has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Aug 6, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Jastiger posted:

Dang ok jeez, sorry guys, 10 posts later I better change my opinion to Borderlands being cool and good.

Sweet.

You what I really hate in boss fights? Attacks that are slow and boring and pretty much have no chance of actually hitting you, but you still have to waste time dodging.

Bringing up an example from something I've played recently: Freedom Planet actually tries to have the boss fights mix things up as much as a 2D platformer can - like a boss that attacks in midair while freezing the ground, or one that has an attack that'll completely chew you up if you're right above him (like if you're just jumping over his other attacks). But one of the last bosses spends most of the fight shooting these slow moving stars at you, and you have to wait for him to fire like 3 waves of these before he'll do the obligatory weak spot exposing move, and that's exactly what I'm talking about.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Alaois posted:

because if somebody's posts makes reading a thread actively worse, I'm going to tell that person they're a loving idiot and should stop posting?

I know you're probably typing these as soon as they come into mind, but that was probably not the right comeback to make in this situation.

Personally I don't see why being bad at video games should be a reason to discredit someone even if it is true (it's true for me!) Ultimately the fact is that something can make a game less fun for someone.

mycot has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Aug 13, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It did crack me up that ANIME DAVID is on the title screen.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

RareAcumen posted:

Continuing on Arkham Knight

Gordon, what happened to you? :(

Alaois posted:

that's a positive change for me, Brick Shithouse Gordon freaks me the gently caress out in Asylum

Hah, it reminds me of how in Dragonball Z all of the male characters would simultaneously fluctuate in muscle mass depending on the plot. The climaxes of arcs would always be PEAK BULK, but in the comedy moments everyone would suddenly lose their gains.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Away all Goats posted:

Uh what do you think all that screaming was for. Bulking up through screaming is a long and arduous process.

It all makes all makes sense now, Arkham Knight Gordon forgot to power up.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Byzantine posted:

I don't care that people criticize it, I care that they apparently couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the game they're criticizing.

Hey what does Dragonrend do?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

AlphaKretin posted:

E: That's an aggregation of what I hear as general option, not necessarily mine.

We have hit peak circlejerk. People no longer PYF, they post other people's favorites.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Nuebot posted:

Why were people still trying to live around the super mutant infested hellhole, exactly? "Well, they're killing dozens of us every day and the water is slowly killing us and there's still the occasional radioactive sandstorm. But you know, this corrugated steel shed feels just like home!" I guess there's a point where I should stop questioning the logic behind a video game, but sometimes it's hard.

"Man, why don't all those poor orphans in African desert warzones just leave to America? Guess they just don't want to pull on their bootstraps hard enough."

"Why does anyone live on the streets? I would get in a house as soon as possible. I guess homeless people are just crazy."

mycot has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Oct 23, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

That isn't true at all, Iron Bull just reprimands you if you keep saying Krem is a girl and that's as far as it goes.

I don't know where where people are getting magical sex changes from because unless there's something I missed I thought the point of that character is that trans characters in that setting are kinda screwed. The most they can do is change their appearance.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

4REAL posted:

in red dead redemption 2 you can praise AND pet dogs, but you can only praise cats, no petting. it's bullshit.

PUSS

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
In Soulsborne I think the idea is that you're only ever safe in the hub area and they don't actually want you to be able to take a break between bonfires/lanterns/whatever. I'm sure if they felt like it they could have just disabled the ability to pause when you're being invaded.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's an all timer of a game, but it has its share of problems, Nintendo's allergy to sensible, non-repetitive interface options being a big one. See also Animal Crossing, a game mostly designed around building innumerable quantities of items, that also limits you to constructing a single item and watching the associated animation every time.

I remember when Animal Crossing was all the rage people would say that anyone asking for batch crafting was minmaxing the fun away and making the game unchill lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The hunting is the main game of Red Dead Redemption 2, actually.