Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Ace Combat 7: The A-10's "machine gun" is equally as weak as every other jet's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Randalor posted:

Magma Worm stuff

Magma worm was definitely one of the harder bosses in RoR, although honestly I never had a huge issue with him. Anything with multihit (ukelele, gasoline, willowisp) hurts him a ton because of his segments, and you really should Always Be Moving.

Risk of Rain 2 magma worm, on the other hand, is the worst. Yeah he's multi-segmented, but attacks won't arc to other segments, and I honestly can't tell if splash damage hits multiple (pretty sure it doesn't).

Risk of rain 2 in general:
Bosses. They all have some sort of bullshit that's a pain to deal with.
Imp - Teleports on top of you, multi-hit melee attack that does a ton of damage very quickly.
Vagrant - Giant area of effect nuke, does a ridiculous amount of damage unless you dodge/block it.
Worm - See above.
Golem - Has a (poorly telegraphed) punch attack that can hit anywhere on the map and knock you into the air. Has a laser attack that cannot be dodged, only blocked by line of sight (or engineer's shield). These two combo together a lot.
Beetle - Honestly probably the only one that isn't terrible. Acid attacks hurt, but they mostly damage you through pools of acid you can just walk off of.
Dunestrider - Oh man. Multiple explosive attacks, some homing, all fast. Can vacuum anything near him when at low health, pulling them towards him and healing him based on the damage it deals. If this hits you you have to hold backwards away from it or you're screwed. Did I mention it drains enemies too, so he heals more and so that you can't get your on-death procs off of them?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Can you? Huh. Must have to be an absurdly high number, because I couldn't on the run where I completed the +300% movespeed challenge.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Desperate Character posted:

Get Enter the Gungeon! It gets better the longer you play as you unlock more and more guns. It is based more on skill than RNG (though RNG definitely helps)

I find that Gungeon runs are kinda boring if you don't get a good gun in the first couple of chests. Like, the first floor boss is doable with the starting gun, it just takes forever. But every floor after that increases everything's health, so you /need/ a decent gun by the third floor or you're gonna eventually die because you couldn't kill things fast enough to keep your health from being eaten by stray bullets. And it's entirely possible to NOT get a good gun, because there are just so many possible drops.

And then there's the elevator system, where from what I can tell you have to do RNG-heavy challenge runs (bring me 4 keys and 280 dollars at the same time!) in order to unlock the ability to skip floors, which is useless anyways because you miss out on a ton of items doing that.

I play it every once in a while, and yeah it's definitely more skill-based than Isaac, but out of the two a good Isaac run is more fun than a good Gungeon run. Although Afterbirth+ is terrible.

Edit: Gungeon also has the problem where when you die it takes a non-trivial amount of time to restart the run. Isaac is literally 2-3 seconds tops - you watch the death animation play, a screen pops up, you hit a button and you've restarted. Gungeon plays your death, does the clockhair thing which takes 2-3 seconds, then the book opens which takes a couple more seconds, and then finally gives you the option to hit a button to restart, whereupon it plays the elevator level start animation again before you can start moving. It doesn't seem like much, but when you die frequently it adds up very fast. There might be an option in the last update to speed it up some, but I haven't looked into that yet.

JackSplater has a new favorite as of 15:01 on May 7, 2019

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

grittyreboot posted:

I unlocked 119 shrines in Breath Of The Wild. The very last shrine I found could only be unlocked if you stood on a pedestal during a blood moon, which never happened despite me waiting by the fire for about 30 nights in a row. I was this close to getting the Tunic of the Wild.

Also I didn't get the true ending because I went to the throne room while I was looking for the Hyrule Castle memory.

Blood Moons reset the monsters in the world, so maybe you have to kill off a few camps.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I know everyone says that MGS3 is objectively better than MGS2 but I just can't see it. I would say it's a lot of little things but despite being okay at the first two games I am miserable at this one.

The game is pretty much 100% built around obsessively swapping your camo for every situation. If you're super lazy Tiger Stripe is passable in most areas but you have to spend the entire game crawling for it to work well.

Which is probably the only thing I found dragged the game down, now that I think about it. Well, that and I'm terrible with the 3DS controls for the game.

EDIT: Wait, I was wrong. Kerotans. Most aren't bad. The eight or so during the rail shooter? Fuuuuuuck them.

JackSplater has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Jun 9, 2019

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

The number in the Metal Gear Solid game titles isn't the number of the game, it's actually the hours of cutscenes per game sections. :eng101:

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Leal posted:

I dunno man, sure MGSV started with a good amount of cutscenes but after mission 10 (of 51) there is jack.

V stands for "Very front-loaded", obviously. Or "Very unfinished".

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Battletech:

There's a few things with this game that make it wear down on me. At its base it's a great game: Giant mechs fight other giant mechs. It's a lot like x-com in gameplay, and shares some of the issues.

- You can never deploy more than (or fewer than) 4 mechs on a mission, regardless of weight class. Meanwhile the enemy has no such limit. Early game there's a good chance you have more mechs than them, but by midgame it's almost always a 4v6/8. Endgame it's at minimum 4v8, sometimes as bad as 4v12. By that point you're running four of the heaviest mechs you have every mission or you'll lose the fight by sheer attrition.
- Light mechs are useless. They get more Evasion charges (increasing chance of enemy attacks missing), but every time something shoots at them they lose one charge. And they move first in the turn order. So you move a light mech, and over the rest of the round every single enemy mech shoots at them so by the end of the round it's lost every charge and taken a bunch of damage because of the ridiculous amount of focus fire.
- some weapons are basically useless. AC2 is supposed to be a high-range gun so you can sit back and plink, but since it needs direct LOS and does as much damage as a medium laser (at six times the weight) and sight ranges are so bad even using it regularly needs a dedicated spotter mech and jumpjets. Almost anything that can mount the AC2 would be better off with any of the other autocannons. PPCs are also in this category, since they only do 10 more damage than a large laser at similar range for two more tons and double the heat. They do cause "sensor impairment", but that's entirely trivial (something like +2 difficulty on shots).
- Contracts in this game are mostly random, and only three or so ever get posted at a time. They refresh every couple of in-game weeks, and pick planets in your radius at semi-random. So you could pick a contract at a planet ten days away where all your current contracts are, and by the time you get them you can complete that one and the other two are gone. So you spend a lot of time just flying around not actually making money.
- Most of your mechs come from salvaging battlefields. The less damage you do to a target to kill it, the more salvage it can drop. This is a good way to do it. But the mechs used in combat are based on who you're fighting and where on the map, with no indication whatsoever as to what comes from where. So if you have 2/3 of a mech there's a good chance you won't find the third part at all.
- The story is not great but that's not what you're here for, is it. There is one mission about halfway through the game that I loving hate though. It's a battle against around 8 mechs and a bunch of turrets with a primary objective across the map, very poor cover, and as soon as you accomplish the objective an assault lance spawns on highground. And it has a hard time limit to complete the objective, and then you have to fight the assaults. The big bad in this mission is a Catapult K2, which has twin PPCS and the heat sinks to fire them instead of missiles like the standard catapult. If you use the Precision Strike ability you can't try to increase the chance of a head hit, because surprise surprise she comes back in the very last mission of the game

And the biggest problem:
- There are guns that fire in melee, but they take a special small weapon slot and none of the fast big mechs have very many so you can't just make a punchbot that kills everything.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

DyneAvenger posted:

Grasshopper. You can decimate just about anything except the heaviest mechs in one round with a melee to the back and a billion small lasers or MGs or even flamers. Strong enough to take a few big shots or one shot a bigger vehicle too.

Which loops back to one of my other issues. My first run through the game I saw exactly two grasshoppers over the entire game. Had no idea where to find more.

Also, on release Urbanmechs only existed in stores and a tutorial mission. Which is a drat shame.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Because of the thrill of discovery™. It's more fun if you have to figure out yourself, obviously. Even if it's something that completely fucks up everything 99.9% of the time it's picked up (i'm looking at you, curse of the tower in Rebirth).

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Resonance of Fate

I never finished this game mostly because mass upgrading my guns whenever a new shop unlocked was too time consuming for me, although I did enjoy what I played of it. But the armored enemies I straight up don't remember. They sound like something you're supposed to deal with using molotovs, though. Or the sync attack or whatever it was called.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Len posted:

Did not know that. Next time I get them I'll double check the screen. I died shortly after getting them by jumping face first into a hellhound

Up + Down at the same time, if I remember right.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

I never really understood the hatred of the flood. In halo 1, yeah they could be a pain, but ammo was always plentiful when fighting them for basically any gun you'd use. Shotgun, AR, plasma pistol, regular pistol, lots of all of that. The few moments where it was turn corner --> rocket sucked, but there were only... three of those I think?

Halo 2 I'm pretty sure every encounter with them you can run through and only kill what gets in your way, except the first elevator with them when you have a bunch of sentinel beams which wreck them.

Halo 3 the pure forms are a pain until you learn how to deal with them (brute shot is overpowered as hell), and regular forms can be headshot so they're an utter nonissue.

I honestly missed the flood when I played Halo 4, because the goddamn knights were such utter bullshit. Fun fact: in Legendary All Skulls mode, a binary rifle with eight shots to the head can't kill one knight! Its shields regenerate before you can reload.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

World Famous W posted:

I don't remember what game it was that forced me to played inverted (why was that not an option!) a few years ago but it broke my brain and now I can't go back to regular camera controls

Turok: Evolution did this to me. Couldn't figure out how to swap the flying controls so I had to learn invert. Now it takes a lot of conscious thought to play default camera.

I have friends who play default for everything except flying. Apparently when flying in a game, inverted camera makes way more sense while in any other situation they can't make sense of it.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

QuietLion posted:

and tiny enemies that explode for big damage on death and are hard to track

The little purple guys? Let them get to you without attacking them and they heal you.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

That is amazing.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Risk of Rain 2:

Released a patch yesterday. Added a dozen or so new items, less I think. Added a new survivor, nerfed one of the characters a little (engineer), nerfed one of the items to uselessness (sticky bomb), changed how crits work, added new enemies, a new elite type, and a new area.

New items are really, really hit or miss. Some of them are really situational or mediocre, some of them are absurdly strong.
One of the new enemies is obnoxious. Larger health pool, ranged attack that slows, is rapid fire, and once he starts shooting he doesn't stop until he loses line of sight. If one spawns near you in the open, you're poo poo outta luck.
New area is annoying to explore because there are a bunch of little nooks and crannies where chests can be hidden. And it's basically one straight path with a couple potential side paths instead of the mostly-open concept of the other levels.
New elite type is honestly terrible. I don't know its exact effects, but at the very least it has:
a) vastly increased health pool or damage resistance, not sure which
b) on hit it stops you from healing from any source, except maybe the new Barrier health?
c) Spawns three spike circles in the area around it every few seconds that apply the no-heal and damage you
d) Can spawn a little floating enemy (on death, i think) that also has the no-heal effect on its rapid long-range attacks
After about 90 minutes and 25ish floors, 75% of elite spawns are this new type. After 120 minutes and 35ish floors, 95% of elites are this type. And barely any regular enemies spawn. And almost every boss is this type. And it plays a loud gonging noise every time one of this elite type spawns.
The game also starts to lag horribly once you get to the point where bosses have millions of health, and it gets exponentially worse if you have the Happiest Mask item.

That goddamn spawning sound is going to haunt my dreams tonight.

JackSplater has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Jun 27, 2019

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

CJacobs posted:

or a Horseman that drops a lovely meat cube

Meat cube is actually a really good item, if you're willing to risk some health. It does a lot of contact damage.

The DLC bosses definitely drag the game down, though. They seem to either be HP sponges or "reskin of an existing boss, but this time it has brimstone with very little warning!"

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Morpheus posted:

I would love if there was an MMO that had a single bear-rear end collection quest, to get, like, 8 goblin livers or something, except the first goblin you kill has all 8 already and the person you deliver them to can't explain why. Just "Oh, uh, that's...hmm, that's peculiar. Would really rather not think about it."

Browser-based game Kingdom of Loathing actually does something similar to that in a questline. Get the first one, the second one (the character makes a comment about how this is going to take a while), then get pages 3-15 immediately after page 2.

Things bringing down Kingdom of Loathing: Playing it semi-well basically requires the wiki open at all times, if not just straight up using a third party program to keep track of all the fiddly poo poo.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

And yeah, I can't imagine anyone playing FC4 without the sidearm grenade launcher as a permanent part of their inventory.

I beat it without even picking the thing up. I have an unhealthy obsession with having a backup pistol in pretty much any game I can have one. Admittedly I don't remember much of FC4, but I'm pretty sure my strategy was "snipe everything, assault rifle everything else, melee takedown armored guys"

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

Link's Awakening is one of the incredibly few cases ever of "it's a dream" ending being good

It was lightly foreshadowed by the bosses, straight up told to you by the sixth dungeon boss (and mentioned in the leadup to dungeon 6), and by the time you get to the final boss it's completely evident that by waking up the Wind Fish you're causing Koholint to not exist anymore. It's good because instead of being a "twist" ending, it's actually a large part of the plot.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

SiKboy posted:

In all fairness, I dont want games to start putting my day job in them either.

Speaking of this, GTA 5: Forklift section at the docks.

Actually, GTA5 has a lot of little sections that are just kind of poo poo to play. Dock section. The entire heist related to that. Yoga. Tow trucking. It's a decent game and just playing it for the hell of it is great and the heists are decent when you're actually heisting, but they're so heavily scripted it almost feels like you're being directed through a movie with minimal idea what the script is, but you're not allowed to go off-script.

JackSplater has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Aug 9, 2019

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Bonto posted:

Assassin's Creed : Odyssey

Or you can just scrap every piece of armour you find that isn't part of whatever set you like, and spend resources + gold keeping that one set up to level parity. Which is the opposite of something dragging the game down, really. No need to worry about finding good gear at low level when you can just upgrade it to your level whenever.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

spit on my clit posted:

this is the stats for a gun in Bolderlands 3. what i'm wondering is, what does handling mean, and what is the percentage relative to. if this is about how fast you aim down the sights, why not just define the ADS time and call it "aim speed", or if it means how fast you swap from that gun, why not just list the time it takes to swap your gun, and why not just name the stat "swap speed"

i sure do love whenever games have such nonsensical terms with nonsensical numbers or percentage attached to it as if either of them mean anything

It's probably a combination of both would be my guess. I'm more concerned that all the important information is tiny and off to the side.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Cleretic posted:

She doesn't write anything instead because gently caress you, that's why. I'm not even making a joke here, really, she really is just keeping silent out of spite.

I'm pretty sure I remember either hearing on cassette / reading in a log somewhere in-game that writing makes vocal cords move as if you were talking, just not as intense. Which would explain her refusal to write english. Unless I'm misremembering, which is possible.

Something bringing down the endgame of MGS5: Snake gets incapacitated in one of the last missions, and Quiet has to speak on the radio to save him since she's fallen for him. At one point, she tries speaking in Navajo, which is the one language that no parasites are activated by, but the only person on base who speaks it isn't available. Despite him knowing she can speak it and is infected. And this all happening on a mission where Snake is trying to rescue her, so it'd make sense to have him on hand in case she needs to communicate something.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

I always pictured OMD as a dungeon defenders clone. Which is, as stated, a hybrid TD/TPS.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Digirat posted:

Space hulk deathwing

For a game about being a giant cyborg badass who wields absurdly powerful weaponry, it sure did a terrible job of making it feel like that.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Do: differentiate between vendor trash and items you actually want, and have a sell all button for useless inventory poo poo.

Don't: Have items required for crafting get sold by the "sell all trash" button (Far Cry 3, maybe 4/primal/5 but I can't remember)

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

food court bailiff posted:

I think I really hate gimmick bosses with only one possible strategy.

I had this issue with Terraria. The Dungeon Guardian is supposed to be a "no shortcutting this part of the game" boss, in that any attack that hits it deals no more than 1 damage and it has 10,000 health. Killing it gives you a special pet that does nothing but looks like it. There are two ways to do it:
1) giant arena way above the map with teleporters that ensure you stay ahead of it, spending large amounts of ammo and using lategame gear to stand a chance at outrunning it.
2) find a boomerang and a magic mirror, abuse a bug-turned-feature that lets you move obscenely fast (2-3 blocks per frame fast), throw boomerang in center of circle, afk for ten minutes.

It just seems like it's ridiculous, even for just a cosmetic reward. And it's basically impossible to do with a melee character, because he does enough damage to one or two shot you even with the top tier gear.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Nuebot posted:

My go-to method for killing it was always to use like - the turtle armor or something? It was basically something that had a complete crapshoot of working every time it hit you, it'd do damage to its self instead of you. Then you'd just need to have a way to survive each hit; for the life of me I can't remember how I did that because it's been like years.

You can also use the slime mount to bounce on top of it for a few minutes.

Turtle armor was apparently considered an exploit and was fixed. It now reflects exactly one damage.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't really see the issue, you're literally not supposed to fight it. The cosmetic award is for people insane enough to fight it for no reason, they deserve some happiness in life for whatever led them to this point.

I have no issues with the cosmetic existing, or for having an insane challenge boss, as long as there are actually options to fight it. There aren't really options here. "Spec entirely into ranged weaponry, spend an absurd amount of ammo and resources in a specially built map-wide arena" or "abuse a quasi-bug and literally do nothing until it's dead". You can't even really attempt it with any other builds.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the most unwelcome bottleneck levels? As in you got progressed into a really hard/annoying level on the main-path and can't back out?

Ace Combat 7 has a couple varieties of this, and both are terrible.
One is a mission where you have a time limit to accrue a certain number of points, with various targets being worth arbitrary amounts. there are a few of these, and every single one makes you attack land / sea targets to have a hope of hitting your objective, which neuters your air-to-air weapon options so you can't use the fun toys.
The other is a mission in the early-mid game, where you have to fly "low" to avoid being satellite targeted by cruise missiles. In a mountain range. In clouds. I don't see the fun in being forced to fly with zero visibility in an area where cliffs are everywhere. You get targeted in ~6 seconds of being out of cloud cover and the missiles aren't able to be dodged as far as I could tell.

Leal posted:

Rimworld has this caravan mechanic to go visit other civilizations to trade or attack.
But you should never actually use it because my god there is something in the code to make a raid spawn in the second you leave. By the time you can afford to let a few colonists leave and have the defenses to make up for it, you wont actually need to bother with those things.

If you wait until right after a raid it's a lot less likely to happen. Usually what happens is you go "hey, I'm pretty settled in, I've got some free colonists, I'll send them out", all the while the odds of a random event are steadily increasing. It's a coincidence for sure, but it does feel like it happens more when it's inconvenient because that's what you remember.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

My issue with D3 endgame progression is that it goes

Plateau for a bunch of time while you do runs
Get one piece of gear (or two parts of a set) that spikes your power by an obscene amount
Plateau for a bunch of time while you do runs

Repeat. Sure, you get paragon levels the whole time, but the benefits they give you are so small they're extremely hard to notice. D2 at least had you leveling your skills while you farmed for gear, so even if you didn't get the power spike from that one drop your planned build needed, you'd still be gaining incremental progress.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Olaf The Stout posted:

Cutscene/Gameplay effectiveness change

This brings down a lot of games, really, but the one that sticks out the most to me right now is Halo 5. A mediocre game all around (because they removed local coop, the bastards) that opens with a cutscene involving your Spartan team just absolutely wrecking alien poo poo in extremely badass ways, and then when it dumps you into gameplay it's just... bad. "Hey, you're a team of badasses that can kill hundreds in seconds, now have a lovely little assault rifle that can't kill the weakest enemy in fewer than ten bullets"

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

In-game, his armor is impressive because humans otherwise don't have energy shields so you just get shot and die. Also because he can survive an orbital drop in it :v:

It's the least of the problems in Halo 4 and 5 but the thing dragging the game down most for me is the armor design. In Halo 1 - 3/Reach, it's a bulky tank-armor. It looks like a cohesive suit. In 4 and 5 the armor is clearly the black underarmor with some extra pieces bolted on which also looks generally terrible.

Halo Reach was the best spaceman dressup game and it is a drat shame none of the games since have been any good at it.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

sebmojo posted:

I still love fallout lockpicking

It's a good blend between knowing how it works and ease of use for sure. Still preferred Oblivion's, though.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

FTL was a fantastic and fun game with an utterly bullshit final boss section out of nowhere that doesn't mesh with the vast majority of the game mechanics up to that point.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

First time through that mission I did it with one of the earliest rocket launchers and repeated ammunition reloads, since I had been pure nonlethal/stealth up to that point. It wasn't easy, but it was doable. (and was also bullshit)

Things dragging down MGSV: All the super cool and fun gadgets you can get prevent you from getting top ranks on missions, so using them always made me feel like it was cheating. Chicken hat I could understand, since it was literally "hey you're terrible at this, do you want easy mode", but the rest of them? Let me be a crazy dude with special armour punching everything I run into, please and thank you, this poo poo was expensive and hard to make!

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

The parasite suit looks very much like my jam, but I just keep seeing "extract Skulls", and.... :effort:

What they don't tell you is that you can extract them even when killed using lethal weapons. You just have to do it before killing all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

Good to know, thanks. I guess I have to fight them again anyway so might as well try.

You might also need wormhole extraction, I don't remember.