Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
This would fit better in an 'Irrationally irritating video game moments' thread, but since that doesn't exist I'm posting here.

They included a weapon in Dark Souls 3 that is a large, red-hot metal rod with a symbol at the end of it. You know, like some kind of iron you would brand cattle with. This, right here:

What is the name of this weapon? The loving SOLDERING IRON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Alteisen posted:

This also, they where quite obtuse in the earlier games but are far worse in DS3, the absolute shittiest thing about is that unlike the previous games, there's one particular quest that affects your ending and you would have no idea how you blundered into without a walkthrough.

I happened to complete that quest on my first playthrough without looking anything up. But then I chose to summon the fire keeper after the final boss, because the other choice was "Kindle the first flame" which was literally the OPPOSITE of what that questline was about! :argh:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Digirat posted:

gently caress, are twinks as bad as in dark souls 1? I had a great time doing a coordinated coop run through dark souls 2 (we played through the whole game summoning each other in each area, used complimentary builds, etc) and was excited to do the same thing in dark souls 3. But with hackers corrupting saves and getting people flagged for softbans I'm worried about going through the whole game with potential invasions on, and we don't want to spend the entire first two areas getting chain killed by twinks, even if they aren't all hackers.

If there is one good thing about soul memory in dark souls 2, it's that it really did stop twinks early in the game. They are a sort of plague fungus that infects the online in this series.

Invasion is based on SL and weapon upgrade level, so I guess it's not as bad as 1.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I felt like playing some Metroid Prime and realized I never beat the second one.
I started it up and played for a while and realized why I never finished it... oh boy, a whole swamp level. The dark world, where you take constant damage and need to keep running between safe zones. I'll have to collect all these goddamn keys my beams REQUIRE AMMO URRGH

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What fixes beyond Durante does Dark Souls need so it doesn't look like arse?

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/395/

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Breetai posted:

It's best to assume a spherical goon when making these calculations.

Imagine four goons at the edge of a cliff.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

McCreevel Knievel.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

thecluckmeme posted:

If you're an AUG, they know you are.

I'll say they will, we're in PYF.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

BioEnchanted posted:

The lack of a bestiary is especially annoying, and I'm feeling the inability to jump as well.

I don't know if you're saying that you can't jump as well as you can in the second one, but if you're saying you can't jump at all that's not right. You definitely can.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Shadowgate (2014) has a quicksave button which I used often, and a quickload button which I basically never used at all because for some reason, you can't use it once you trigger anything at all that causes you to die. So instead of dying to a thing, quickloading and trying something else when I see the message that I already know leads into me dying, I have to click through the next several messages describing how I die, wait for whatever animation of a goblin eating my face or whatever, then the screen turning red, then the game over screen coming up, then kicking me back to the main menu where I can choose to load my last save.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Because SotFS is like a shittier kaizo remix of DS2.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

RyokoTK posted:

Prioritize healing by hoping you get a random heart drop, what a smart fella.

Hope you're not playing Hero Mode! :suicide:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Chests have an opening animation and then you have to hit E again to actually take the thing from the chest instead of just doing it automatically.

If you hold E on a pickup, you'll grab all the amoo/money/health/eridium near you at once. That helps with it a little bit. Agreed on pretty much everything else.

Another thing about Borderlands 2 on console specifically. The Mechromancer has a skill tree with a mechanic called 'Anarchy'. Once you have the skill, you get 1 Anarchy point for each enemy you kill and each clip you fully empty. Each stack of Anarchy increases your damage, but also decreases your accuracy. With skill upgrades and the right class mod, you can get a maximum of 600 stacks. This adds up to +1050% damage and -1050% accuracy. This works really well if your playstyle is 'get all up inside your enemies rear end in a top hat and blast them open from the inside'.

You lose all of your anarchy stacks if you die. You also lose all of them if you manually reload (though there is a skill that alters that in a way.) On console, the reload button and the interact button are the same, and there's nothing you can do to change it.
So if your clip is missing at least one bullet and you slightly miss when trying to pick up any item? gently caress YOU, ALL YOUR STACKS ARE GONE. :suicide:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Nuebot posted:

I never once minded the millions of wolves in Dragon's Dogma.

Really? Really?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That game is the angriest nonsense I ever played.

Never played Asura's Wrath?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of things dragging darksouls down. I don't like Dark Souls 3's new DLC. I was really excited for it because usually they bring their A game for souls DLC but the enemy design for this one is just :effort:. It's like I'm playing Dragon's Dogma again with all these wolf swarms I'm wading through.

The whole thing was disappointingly short, too. It sucks that there are only 2 bosses in the DLC, and the main bossfight kind of sucked in my opinion. When did they decide that it was cool for you to beat a boss fight and then have it spring back up in a second form with another entire health bar? Why did they decide that they needed to pull that poo poo twice in one bossfight? We couldn't come up with an interesting, well-designed boss, so here, fight Lady Maria's first form, then Ornstein and Smough, then Lady Maria's buffed form. Instead of making a single difficult bossfight they just throw you through a boss gauntlet. I can never even know if emptying a boss's health bar will actually end the fight.

thecluckmeme posted:

Chaos Ember was perfect because you could get it right after Queelag + a cheese boss, but you only could upgrade it in the catacombs which is the shittiest walk back up a vertical environment ever. "Nice ember, kid. Here's a cool sword. Now fight like 59 skeletons again to use it if you don't have the lord vessel yet"

Cool kids run down to the blacksmith without resting anywhere and then homeward bone/darksign back to Firelink :smug:

(really cool kids do this with Quelaag/Ceaseless too)

Olive! has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Oct 27, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

2D platforming shooters (Contra-style):

- Not letting me shoot diagonally: okay, I guess that's a legitimate design choice, though it makes the game feel kind of clunky.
- Letting the enemies shoot diagonally: yeah okay but why do the enemies get this kind of advantage--
- Having enemies that can fly and perfectly track towards you through walls and you can't even aim at them most of the time: FUUUUCK YOUUUUUU

I really wanted to like Risk of Rain, but this completely killed all enjoyment for me and it's starting to really irritate me in Mercenary Kings.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

spit on my clit posted:

You will never be able to play as a Cactaur in a final fantasy game and that's bullshit

You could play Mario Hoops 3 on 3 I guess. (I can't vouch for the quality of this game)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I played through Shovel Knight sometime earlier this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I decided to try playing as Plague Knight and wow, it is just amazingly bad.

Any time I land from a jump the character scoots forward pretty much an entire body length. The double jump is so ridiculously small you might as well just remove it and make the regular jump height slightly higher. When I charge up and do the explosion boost, if I don't touch left or right the character goes straight up and then has hardly any control horizontally. If I touch left or right when I release it, even when I'm at a complete standstill I go careening across the entire screen. If I throw a potion in midair, there's a small delay for the throwing animation where I don't have control over my movement and sort of float a little?

In a game as precision platforming oriented as this, I don't know how these controls are supposed to be manageable.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i had the same issue until i started using the controller with my hands, instead of flapping at it with my feet and knees

Okay, I cut off my legs and now the controls are even worse, thanks a lot :mad:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Spelunky is pretty good and I played a whole lot of it many years back, but I don't like the art style of the remake and I never got into it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

MysticalMachineGun posted:

My recollection of Lost Izalith is probably improved by seeing the dragon butts and just sprinting through that section. Luckily I found the secret bonfire.

But Chaos Eaters though? gently caress those things.

But they make adorable suction cup noises :3:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I think you might need to reread that.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Space T Rex posted:

I spent so long trying to catch a beldum that kept calling for help that he eventually killed himself by running out of moves and struggling to death. in hindsight I should have been alternating which beldum to keep at low health so that couldnt happen but still. Jesus christ gamefreak why.

Apparently it's great for shiny hunter and ev trainers. It fuckin sucks garbage balls for everyone else, especially anyone trying to catch a goddamn pokemon that keeps calling reinforcements

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Cleretic posted:

As I recall, 3D is only there for battle scenes, and only on the New 3DS. Gen 6 had 3D on the normal 3DS, too.

I have a N3DSXL and literally the only 3D I've seen is in the camera minigame.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

MisterBibs seems like the kind of person who edits the continuity errors section of IMDB.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Mierenneuker posted:

Anyway, more relevant to this thread:
Pokemon Sun/Moon has numerous quality of life improvements but the way you find hidden items is terrible. No, I don't want to move around on a slow-moving mount and wait for the exclamation mark to turn red to find items. Just integrate some kind of dowsing machine into the map that takes up the bottom screen. The way they did it in Black/White 2 was actually fine, but I guess they really went overboard with this Pokerides feature that replaces HMs. A case of two steps forward, one step backwards.

What I do is hold B and spin the stick around. If I don't see an exclamation point I release B and move some distance, then do it again. It still sucks but at least I don't have to crawl everywhere.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I know that's going to start a huge over/under toilet paper derail but I have a bigger issue. How do they replace the roll? That thing looks bolted solid.

e: is the bar open on the other side??

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Morrowind: The guy at the census office in the beginning of the game say "The letter mentions you were born under a certain sign. And what would that be?" and then you pick your sign as part of the character creation. What the gently caress did the person actually write in the letter? "They were born under a certain sign: ????"?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I guess that makes sense. I never thought of it as like a security question.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

ilmucche posted:

Stardew valley. I get there's a mod for it, but I can never find where any of the townspeople are. If they're not in their shop/house I'm completely boned.

Didn't realise I was supoosed to make friends with people either, I just want to chill out and farm a small plot of cauliflowers, making meager amounts of money :(

The mod to show people on the map is the one mod I consider absolutely necessary.

On your other point, you don't have to do anything you don't want to. If you want to be a total hermit, go ahead! You don't lose a whole lot by not befriending people, though there are a lot of cooking recipes you need to reach certain heart levels to unlock.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Tengames posted:

Pokemon sun and moon really motherfucking hate psychic types, and looove giving everything dark type attacks. I evolved my eevee into an espion and immediately regretted it as everything will be more then happy to spam pursuit, knockoff,bite, or crunch and constanlty bringing it to critical in one hit. It's getting to the point where im considering throwing it and my misdrevous into a box and replacing them as i cant go 2 trainer battles without them being taken out by something that would normally be weak to them but wins due to having dark type attacks (and trying to switch them out just results in them getting oneshot by pursuit)

As someone who went with Decidueye, it became apparent pretty quickly just how many loving Pokemon get Bite or Crunch. And especially gently caress Golisopod and anything else with Sucker Punch.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I've gone back to finish playing The Talos Principle, I finished the regular puzzles and now I'm going back to collect stars, sometimes (most of the time) referring to a guide for hints.
The clock puzzle in A-3 is loving unacceptable. Aside from the ridiculous obscurity of the hint it gives you, the hint is gated behind a QR code you need to scan out of game when every loving other QR code is automatically read in-game. That's dumb enough just on principle, but I don't even have a goddamn device with which to scan QR codes. There is no reason that QR couldn't be read like all the other ones. gently caress off.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I don't know what you're expecting from the Metal Gear Solid series if you're skipping cutscenes

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I don't know a lot about the story but it worries me because I played Ground Zeroes a long time ago and the most I remember from that is 'rape-bombs'.
I got into the earlier games much more recently and most of what I like about them is the nonsensical crazy stuff like Psycho Mantis, Revolver Ocelot. President of the United States George Sears (Solidus Snake).

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

2house2fly posted:

It's way less grim than Ground Zeroes,

That's really good to hear. I've heard MGSV is really good, and I do want to play it.

The thing dragging MGS4 down is that it's a PS3 exclusive! :argh:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

supergayboy posted:

Mercenaries 2

I gave up on it during the late game when the button-mashing hijacking QTEs became impossible for me.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

MiddleOne posted:

Same, but 1 hour in. With this, Tales of Vesperia and the re-release of Disgaea 2 I feel like I've more than had my fill of JRPG's that somehow manage to both have an uninteresting combat system and also no real narrative. I guess Dragon's Dogma also sorta fits into it. I just don't get what is supposed to make these games appealing if you're not a super big fan of grinding. They're so repetitive.

I can understands a lot of complaints about Dragon's Dogma, but 'uninteresting combat system' is bizarre :psyduck:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Nuebot posted:

She's the one that got womb-bombed right?

Ground Zeroes was my first experience with Metal Gear Solid and it put me off that series for several more years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Guy Mann posted:

Being expected to replay a 70+ hour game lile Witcher 3 multiple times just to experience a small amount of actual new content is asinine and shows that they have no respect for your time.

No one expects you to do this.