Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Getting back into Bloodborne.

I forgot how much your inventory not refilling after you help people in co-op makes me not want to help people in co-op. I wonder why they never patched this. You don't gain anything from helping others worth more than the blood phials/bullets you spent on killing the boss for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Bloodborne is kind of a weird case like that. On the whole I think it's definitely better than Dark Souls/DS2. On the other hand, there's a lot of QOL stuff in Souls (particularly Souls 2) that isn't in Bloodborne for no particular reason, and that's one of them. I don't know why you don't have unlimited vials and bullets in the stash; capping each at 20 at a time is perfectly fine, but the only reason to not have unlimited refills is to punish bad players and make them like the game less because they have to go grind more. Also stuff like you have to return to the Hunter's Dream to heal, refill supplies and fast travel (so you get two loading screens instead of one) when you could rest at a bonfire and take care of all that on the spot... or weapon durability still being a thing for no reason I can honestly think of.

Now that I think about it I've never had a piece of equipment broken in BB before - it really does feel like a token inclusion to tug at the corner of your mind since it never seems to be relevant.

I'm glad you brought up the skill factor. When I've brought this up in the past, the catch-all retort from people was "get better", which is kind of a non-point since that solves all of a game's superficial problems, doesn't it? I think you could ask "does this make the game more fun?" about a lot of things in BB that you mentioned and the answer would be no. But they don't make the game more challenging either. Instead of healing instantly at lamps you go through two load screens. Instead of renewable blood/bullets you mindlessly farm them when you run out. Which begs the question: what're they doing there to begin with? Is it possible the bad design is intentional? From's infatuation with quirky obtuse design taken to its logical conclusion?

One of my favorites of all time but that just makes the blemishes stand out more.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'm just worried nobody will wank my simple mage pawn. I upgraded him but he lost his heal spell so I changed him right back because I didn't want to keep chugging down potions and stuffing me face with moss.

If it's any consolation, pawn ranking and gifts are broken right now anyway. You won't even know if someone uses him.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ro5s posted:

The thing dragging down every RPG I can think of is that there are no cosmetic armour options. Let me wear some ridiculous collection of bullshit for the stats and let me pick what my character's armour looks like as two separate things.

It sucks because Bloodborne already nailed this - there's no equip load so you can wear whatever you want for appearance sake. In DS3 armor still doesn't make much of a difference between sets but now you need to invest in a stat just to look cool and not roll like a fatass.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Fallout 4's Far Harbor DLC has been pretty great so far, but those VR mini games were some of the most ill-conceived poo poo I've ever played.

The gimmick was fun for the first couple memories but with the last one it's like they intentionally focused on the least fun aspect of them - picking up and moving large numbers of individual data blocks. And then you complete it an see that it was optional, unlike the last 4. I'm glad there's a mod out that skips these already.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

LA Noire was a great game let down by that awful, awful design choice. When the gameplay needs you to make an educated guess and question, you need to be know exactly what your character will do. :argh:

LA Noire had a lot of potential and could have been great with the removal of a couple aspects:

1) The open world. It was huge and lifeless and just stood in the way between you and the content you cared about.

2) The action sequences. Really screams of focus tested BS.

3) Most importantly: the sound cue that plays after choosing an option that tells you if it was right or wrong. I hated this because it just begged you to save-scum. You instantly know if your response was correct or not and that if you just reload once or twice you can get a perfect score every time. Of course you could always just choose not to reload, but it would be a lot easier to live with your choices if they weren't immediately invalidated.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The alt-right is for open racists/homophobes/migogynists turned off by the establishments token pretense at inclusiveness, which considering how half-hearted that is should tell you how easily offended these people are.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my god, you're right. I buy food sometimes too.

Posting on premium forums is pretty loving bougie. Just own it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

When they all do that group song in dragon age inquisition I was more embarrassed then I've ever been before playing a video game. I'm not convinced they didn't make it embarrassing on purpose.

My first exposure to this scene was having to watch it over...and over...and over again because the game frequently crashed during cutscenes shortly after launch. I say shortly but it took them like a month to fix that IIRC. And it's loooong. The entire scene comprises the conversation with Giselle, the sing-along, the conversation with Solas, the cutscene of the Inquisitor exploring the tundra, and finally the crowning of your character as Inquisitor with no auto-saves in between. It kept crashing on that last part so I had to keep doing the earlier bits like half a dozen times.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm playing Darksiders 2 and the Kingdom of the Dead is just such a bland, boring area that's essentially a grey wasteland. I know it's a barren lifeless land, but every dungeon is just so generically ''ruined castle'' that it feels phoned in in comparison to the lush area you previously explore. The fact that the camera is garbage and the mini map lacks a North orientation makes exploration super frustrating at times.

Probably the most comically front-loaded game I've ever played. The game's hubs progress from a massive open world to literal hallways that make you question why you even have a horse. They really didn't expect reviewers to play past the first hub before they reviewed it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

I'm trying to think of who you are referring to. Chris-Chan?

That would be it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

I'm an idiot and I actually read the first three books, I don't remember him being too terrible in those (relatively), though I barely remember him at all in the books. I heard he got worse in the fourth book that may not even be canon anymore (that's the one where he eats Anderson's cereal and pisses in a plant pot).

If there is one thing I'll give the Mass Effect EU credit for is that it goes out of it's way to never contradict a player's choice from the games. Shepard never appears or is given a gender, any characters who can die never appear after the games they can die in (Wrex and the ME1 human squad mates never appear in anything set after ME1 and Garrus & Tali never appear after ME2) etc. You compare that to the Dragon Age EU and it's obvious that there is a specific canon in mind for DA (Alistair is the king, but that's the only thing I can remember off the top of my head).

Leliana was David Gaider's waifu who's plot armor let her survive potentially getting decapitated in Origins. Maybe now that he's not writing for Bioware we can be rid of her in DA 4.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I had a long spergy argument with Gaider on the forums about the mages in DAII breaking the in-world laws of magic for teleporting all over the screen as you fight them (specifically it says this is impossible). I think he said they were just running around invisibly, or something. Why he'd try to offer an explanation instead of just throwing up his hands and saying "story/gameplay disconnect" I don't know.

E. lol it's still on their forums

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Her edgy assassin schtick gets a little more grating as the series goes on. Origins is the only game where it feels like she has any character.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Does anyone else get the lore of DA and TES mixed up constantly? I made an Andraste joke to a flatmate who played Skyrim and he had no idea what I was talking about.

The little thing dragging down fantasy-based RPGs are their respective lores. They're all so damned samey and Tolkien-esque

TES has it's own Joan of Arc expy in Saint Alessia who liberated slaves from the elves the same way Andraste liberated slaves from the Tevinter Imperium in Dragon Age. They're basically the same character, though Alessia is never really a big deal compared to folks like Tiber Septim.

TES is good at navigating fantasy tropes, embracing them where effective and inverting the tired ones. Orcs are civilized, High Elves are evil, Dwarves are loving bearded elves, Daedra are alien and unknowable as opposed to outright evil, etc.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

A White Guy posted:

The Witcher, the 3rd: Aside from Roach's (your horse taxi) atrocious spawning mechanics, this game is legitimately too long. I just finished with Vellen, I don't think I'm going to even finish the game. I looked online and just pounding the main story line the game is still 16 hours long :cry:

This seems like a fairly reasonable clear time for an open-world RPG, though?

I'm 25 hours in and halfway through Velen, but I'm stopping to do every little quest I can find.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BillmasterCozb posted:

Saints Row 3 is great because of the really weird parts everywhere

edit: Didn't know that a lot of Saints Row fans hated three and four

1 &2 feel kind of bland and janky to me, but that said I didn't touch them until after I played 3 so I'm biased.

That mission in questinon is poo poo, I agree, but 3 was the first SR that felt like more than a GTA clone to me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

Jokes are usually funny?

Nah I see what you're saying. I'd agree that gaming is a great chill hobby, but without having proper "productive" hobbies I'd feel like a waste of skin thinking about the hours I spent in bloodborne.

Who the gently caress works full time and has time for more than one hobby?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Things dragging TW down

TW1 - Ugly even for the time. Poor voice acting. Vague times given for exact time-based triggers were unforgivable. I never had a problem with meditation since I modded in the ability to do it anywhere, but I agree that the way it was set up in vanilla wasn't ideal.

TW2 - Can't decide if it wanted to be a kb/m or gamepad game (on PC) so instead it opted for the worst of both worlds. You can choose if you want terrible combat or terrible menu navigation. Or be like me and switch inputs every time you were about to do something that required it. This was hugely jarring to me after TW1's relatively straightforward kb/m controls.

TW3 - I only just got to Novigrad so it's hard to judge this one. Gear degradation has always been a thing but it seems more annoying than usual in this installment, but maybe that's just because they should have learned by now. I like the open world so far but I'm not a huge fan of unlocking lv.20 quests when you're lv.5 and then just sitting on them for a dozen hours, if only for immersion's sake. "Help my wife's gone missing!"..."Sorry, I'll be back after I've ran errands for a dozen other people, she can hold on that long, right?"

Series-wide - Geralt has lots of women in his life but they're all the same couple of people with varying hair colors and necklines, especially any sorceress. I don't understand why Yenneffer is so special when Triss or Keira Metz are around, and I've read the books. Every interaction with a sorceress follows roughly the same flowchart of bemusement --> flirtation --> insult Geralt's intelligence or hygiene --> gently caress or imply loving is in the cards --> point Geralt at something to kill.

I know as a player I have some degree of control in this, but at this point I just like to think it's part of Geralt's character that he falls for the same poo poo from the same people every time.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Well, it happened, Micolash has caused my friend to drop Bloodborne. :smith:

For those that haven't played it, Micolash is the second-to-last boss in the whole game (excluding the two final bosses). In a game full of massive angry beasts and freaky otherworldy creatures that totally dwarf you in size, here's Micolash:

He's just a dude. A crazy dude wearing a cage on his head that has cthulu hands. And he is crazy hard. He has a lot of health, resists both elemental types of damage, and can kill you in one hit with his cthulu hand attack even if you have 30 vitality and are wearing the clothes with the highest physical/arcane defense in the whole game. It's absolute crap. He's just a dude!!

And this fucker has made my buddy so frustrated with Bloodborne's endgame enemy design (very high poise, does a huge amount of damage, has a lot of health) that he just quit and won't finish it. I'm really disappointed.

Micolash has a lot of personality and my first encounter with him was chilling and memorable for his dialogue and the atmosphere alone, but he's not a good boss. Celestial Emissary and Living Failures aren't good either, but at least those fights are straightforward. Micolash isn't hard so much as he is tedious. If you only had to chase him through the maze once he wouldn't be so bad, but if you get unlucky and he decides to make A Call Beyond his first move when you drop into the final arena you'll probably have to redo the fight over again. He's not bad on NG but in NG+ and beyond his one-shot potential skyrockets.

He's not bad now that I realized he can't deal with you if you stay right up in his face and don't let him make distance, but I can definitely understand why a new player would become frustrated.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I find Bethesda weird when you start taking their non-RPG franchises into account. Dishonored, the Wolfenstein and Doom remakes, all REALLY solid games that know what people want them to be and just make that.

...and then you get their RPGs being about as stable as a bridge made of pastry, making unpopular choices all over the place. I know it's different development teams, but the idea that the same company can get it so right and so wrong on games made at the same time.

I believe you will find that their RPGs are wildly popular.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Picking up Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse encouraged me to revisit SMT IV proper to bring myself back up to speed on what happened, but most of the relevant information comes from the neutral path. Out of the three possible end-game paths (law, chaos, and neutral) it decided to run with the route that was A) the hardest to unlock, requiring you to micromanage your alignment choices to a scientific degree, and B) the most tedious to complete because it requires you to complete a majority of the game's side-content. So basically the canon ending the devs chose to port over to the spin-off is the one the least amount of players have seen.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

But I call hard bullshit on any game where there's a fight we're supposed to lose but only after trying for like five fuckin' depressing minutes. What's the goddamn difference between a beatdown and a slightly longer beatdown, huh?

Dragon Age: Origins has just such a fight...that you can actually win.

The fight with Ser Cauthrien and co. during the Landsmeet will end in seconds for your average player but if you're experienced and can get your positioning down right you can wail on Cauthrien for 10 minutes until she's actually dead. The game totally gives you credit for this and skips a tedious prison sequence and just lets you advance the story immediately.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
In Tyranny there are multiple flavors of fighter and multiple flavors of mage, but there are no rogues for some reason. Each class has a starting outfit that sort of implies what archetype it is - fighters start with armor, mages start with robes, and there's a third outfit that actually seems to evoke the rogue archetype but it gets assigned to archer and monk respectively.

The game separates its unlockable abilities at level up between several different categories like 2-handed, dual-wielding, sword and shield, mage staff, ranged, etc. You would think that the abilities required to craft a rogue in this otherwise classless system would be divvied between dual wielding and archery, but both of those ability trees are specifically dedicated to "warriors that wield two weapons and/or a bow". Indeed, there are few ways to build even a rogue-ish character in this game (even if you'll always be a differently-flavored fighter) including buffs to poison damage and sneak attacks. The latter, despite being a rogue's bread and butter, is only possible once per fight so it isn't really a strategy you can build a character around so much as it's expected for every class to have some sneak attack capability. Better yet, even if you did want to create a god of sneak attacks in Tyranny they separate all the buffs to sneak attacks in every class's ability tree, forcing you to become a jack of all trades to do it whether you want to or not. Most puzzling of all for an Infinity engine-style RPG, backstabs and any form of flanking are completely missing from the game with no real way to replicate their effects. Fights are all about smashing mans together and your only concern with positioning is friendly fire and engagement range. Pillars of Eternity, while not perfect, had this aspect of fighting and I'm not sure why they removed it?

I've heard several explanations for the lack of a playable rogue in Tyranny but the one that always bugged me the most was "You're an agent of Kyros so you're meant to instill dignity and discipline, being a rogue would be beneath such an important figure". I couldn't disagree more. Not only does the game actually present you with several rogue-ish options in the Conquest mode, give the player an option to pick a Lawbreaker origin, and have a stat called Subterfuge which seems to be 100% something a rogue would draw from, but enforcing an evil overlord's rule through tricks and skullduggery sounds like an excellent way to play? Obsidian disagreed I guess.

tl;dr: In an attempt to make Tyranny classless, they just made character-building bland and un-fun.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I got 3 red texts from the feminism thread with slightly differently worded "misogynist needs to kill himself" messages. Like, each one replacing another and saying the exact same thing. I got the last one 2 weeks after I last posted in it. Whoever bought those was legit mentally ill and in some kind of pain, and I'm certain I'll get another if I ever buy my avatar back.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Accessing split-screen co-op in Samurai Warriors 4 Empires was so needlessly touchy. No tutorials or prompts on how to do it. The manual says P2 just needs to touch the touchpad on the army composition screen but they can't do so until P1 has already established the army (if they hit the touchpad before that point there is no response). Took me like 30 minutes to figure out what was going on, with at least 5 minutes convinced that every report of couch co-op online was an elaborate lie.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Aloy doesn't have scars because she's a stone-cold killer of the highest order and just doesn't get hit.

RyokoTK posted:

What is it with open world games like GTA and Watch Dogs having incredibly oppressive and obnoxious police systems? Why even have a game be open world if I can't gently caress around in it for two seconds without drowning in FBI agents that psychically track my position and spawn around every corner?

Especially if I'm just trying to get from point A to B and I'm driving recklessly because it's a video game and then I slam into a cop, well, here's a five loving minute distraction while I waste my own time until I escape the cops so I can get on with the drat game. In Watch Dogs 2 it seems like the best way to escape the police is to drive over a steam vent and kill yourself with it because you respawn where you die without penalty... which really serves to just make cops an obnoxious fun-waster.

I had this issue with Mercenaries 2. I didn't play 1 (which everyone seems to like more) so I don't know if it was similar, but there wasn't a single location you could go to outside your base (that I found) where you're not constantly being hounded by guys in jeeps with assault rifles. I never really got a sense for that game's world because I was always, always fending off attackers.

Deified Data has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Jul 5, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

I also disliked some of the other details it tries to wedge in. Like a male PC is always a soldier pre-war even with a gun skill of 20%. A female PC is always a lawyer even if her int and persuasion are rock bottom.

Yeah that was screwy. PC as a former soldier makes sense - you appear to have no small degree of weapons training and take to using power armor like a fish to water, you've clearly used these things before and you're just putting your skills to work. Female PC as a lawyer who suddenly knows how to headshot a guy through the handle of a teacup from a mile away doesn't make any sense, there's no origin for her combat skills, and it would have made a lot more sense if the PC was always a former soldier and their spouse always the lawyer regardless of gender.

Going to second the impression that with Fallout 4, Bethesda chased two conflicting goals of "open world where you can do anything" and "intimate storyline with higher personal stakes", not realizing that you can't really pursue one without reducing the other. Witcher 3 is the best this has ever been done, a true anomaly, but even it suffered from bloat and a general feeling of "Geralt has better things to be doing right now than running errands for peasants". it's kind of impossible for these two philosophies not to run up against each other.

On the subject of role playing in...roleplaying games, I've found that you can't really describe it to someone who doesn't get it without coming across as a crazy person, so I don't even try.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
"I'm looking for inanimate object X for unstated reason Y" allows a lot more wiggle room than "HAVE YOU SEEN MY SWEET BABY BOY???!"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Inco posted:

It's not even ludonarrative dissonance. Fallout 4's writing is the worst I've ever seen in a narrative-focused genre.

I hear you but it can't really be understated how much worse Fallout 3 is in the narrative department, though it has less to do with the character you play as and more the events surrounding them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

PubicMice posted:

I would love to see Vic and Tiggum playing an actual tabletop roleplaying game

People who play nothing but a stat sheet with min/maxed class and racial features (hiding in the back of the bar looking dour when the party has to RP and jumping to the forefront when poo poo turns into a miniatures wargame) are pretty common in the hobby.

People who call their character a toon or worse, a build.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I liked Far Harbor and I thought the story implications that they left up to the player were good ones. At least compared to the main campaign. I will never suffer under the assumption that I'm not a synth with an implanted backstory ever again

Agree though that "hey your backstory is pretty sparse, what's up with that" is kind of a self-own on Bethesda's part.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gerblyn posted:

. I just had to pretend that "Lawyer" was a cover for my secret CIA SpecOps training or something.

Same. Nora is 100% a wet work assassin in my headcanon.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Horizon is a ton of fun and packed with small details...but the trophies are so boring and there's not even a whiff of fun about them. Come on guys, you give us robo-dinosaurs but can't be bothered to have anything more appealing than "stealth kill ten things", "pick up ten things" and so on. Those are even the names of the achievements!

Does a good game need trophies? Not dismissing, genuinely asking. I got the plat for that game without actively seeking it and that to me was ideal. It meant that if you just seek fun you won't have to go out of your way to "finish" the game. A lot of the time trophies just feel like busywork.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The main draw of Yakuza is the writing and the goofy side quests. If those don't instantly hook you, the gameplay probably never will.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yakuza 6

First and foremost let me say I'm a huge Yakuza fan, put hundreds of hours into the series so I'm aware of its strengths and weaknesses. I'd say 4 and 0 were probably my favorites. 6 though has been wearing on my patience and is feeling like a huge step back.
  • Areas of Kamurocho are just left unfinished with construction tarps draped over them so you can't see beyond the barricades - like iconic areas, like the Champion District and the homeless park
  • In-engine models look a lot better now but when you use them as replacements for the beautiful CG cutscenes from past games, you're left with the overall impression of a worse looking game on a superior engine
  • The loving milk saga in Onomichi with a baby minigame every few steps like a wild loving pokemon encounter. Christ alive this was the least fun I've ever had in a Yakuza game and that's including the final boss of 4
  • No more fighting styles, weapons, and a severely curtailed heat move list leaves the combat feeling very shallow and half-baked. Just spam throw over and over again
  • I can't comment on the story much - it's mostly the same old same old with a massive telegraphed "twist" I can see in the works about 15 hours down the line, if I have the patience to play that long (maybe wait for Haruka to wake up before assuming that kid is her's Kiryu?)
  • Minigames list chopped in half again, which seems to happen every couple of entries. No bowling, which has been around forever. No casino (unless it opens up late game), no go or shogi. The Clan mode is fun but not a replacement for all we've lost.
  • All sorts of nooks and crannies were introduced at the same time they cut the amount of poo poo you could actually find in them. Just locker keys now, and a severely reduced number of those at that.
  • Lastly the Troublr quests, which interfere and make your phone ring every couple minutes, sometimes within seconds of each other, almost always while you're doing something else. Reading the message and immediately closing out again became reflexive just to make my phone shut up. All of the quests feel procedurally generated but I think they're scripted, which leaves me scratching my head. Why, in the massive sandbox of sidequests that is a Yakuza game, do we need dozens of context-less busy work straight out of a Bethesda RPG?

I hate being so negative about the game - went all in with the collector's edition and everything (at least the glasses are nice). The game just doesn't feel like a sequel at all, not to 4 or 5 and certainly not to 0 or Kiwami. Ignoring the improved visuals it'd be easy to believe that 6 is just the unambitious sequel to 3.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh and they loving butcher Norse mythology in a way that's even worse than the Greeks but we're used to that from Americans at this point. They should just be glad that most of the modern Norse faithful are super chill; in the old days talking poo poo about the gods was literal blood feud material
)

If it makes you feel better most modern Norse worshippers are Nazis who understand less about Norse myth than GoW does

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

I've been playing Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines as well as Vampyr basically back to back, and I have to say that despite the fact that it was made 14 years ago on a prototype of the Source engine and is barely held-together by fan-patches, Bloodlines is honestly the better game. Not "for its time", just plain a better game.

Graphically, sure Vampyr has all the fog effects and spooky lighting and what not but it's just so drab all the drat time with no interesting fashions or whatever so Bloodlines in all its faux-goth 90/early2000s nostalgia is still the visually more interesting game.

The major complaint levelled at Bloodlines is that the back third of the game is just one combat slog after another, but guess what that's all there is to do in Vampyr anyway. There are basically only three things to do in Vampyr:
1. Mediocre faux-Bloodborne combat against the same three or four enemy types.
2. Spending half an hour or more at a time in a new district talking to everyone and getting clues about them to squeeze out every bit of XP you can out of them.
3. After levelling up, running around curing everyone of whatever diseases they might have gotten. This will necessitate also doing more of #1 anyway unless you run past them.

Enemies in Bloodlines have the good grace to stay dead.

Characterwise Vampyr has like maybe three characters of any interest to care about and that's pushing it. Despite that "every NPC has a name" (except the hundreds of skals and hunters you kill) basically none of these people are actually fun and interesting to talk to. The game gives you better endings for killing fewer of them too, and the gameplay isn't good enough for me to actually want to replay it as a mass-murderer so it's basically just gonna be a single one and done for the 'best' ending.

Storywise Vampyr might be more overall coherent because the tail end of the old World of Darkness was indeed a mess, but the gameplay systems of Vampyr interact to make the pacing of the game all over the place and interrupting you to do busy-work all the time whereas Bloodlines still has a jumpy pace but you have a decent sense of escalation and you actually get a variety of things to do.

basically I'm saying dammit Dontnod you had a finished engine and decent studio; Troika had terrible management and an alpha prototype engine; and you still made a dull game that, while not buggy, was barely worth the playthrough.

Outside of those glaring technical issues you highlighted were more or less corrected by fan patches, VTM: Bloodlines was so, so close to being a perfect 10/10 game for me, and yeah it all comes down to those last couple hours.

It sucks because I like to sell Bloodlines to people with the promise that they can build whatever sort of character they want and beat the game with it - shooting, melee, illusion, charisma, stealth, there's no wrong answer! But I know that's a lie. I also know that they're gonna play through the entirety of an amazing game and totally fall in love with it by the time they figure out their speech-specced Ventrue with no guns to speak of is going to have to abuse console commands to beat the final boss, and hopefully by that point they will be as forgiving as I was. I can imagine some truly unwinnable scenarios for that last fight alone.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How do you get all the way to ending E and just suddenly have the revelation that you hated the game? Did you hate-play routes A-D?

I know that can be a facile observation ("lol you played a game you didn't enjoy") but for real, it takes almost 100 hours to get to the end of this one. Were you expecting a Shamamalan twist at the end that would redeem the whole experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Eh, I'm a completionist, give or take

Though 30 hours is still a lot of time spent on something making you miserable.