Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

This comes to a head when his brother gets out of jail, and CJ is so excitedly eager to tell him how much stuff he's got going on (he's a manager to a rap artist, he owns an airport, whatever) and his brother chews him out about how Only Grove Street Matters and suckers CJ back in.

gently caress you, man.
Never managed to get into the game because of that bullshit. Oh, I should be caring about the neighbourhood full of people who either ran at the first hint of trouble or actively tried to kill me? gently caress you. The only support I've had is from the latino guy banging our sister, the blind yakuza guy, and the CIA agent who surely should try and gently caress you over but is actually a stand up guy. gently caress Grove Street. If it matters that much to you, I'm now rich and powerful enough that I'll buy the whole drat thing for you. Then a few words in the right ears and we'll have Tenpenny doing "just say no" speeches from inside a dog costume at local schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Josef bugman posted:

I really liked the blind Yakuza guy.

I liked him until he told me I couldn't do a mission until I went away and built up my swimming stat like I was grinding in a lovely MMO.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

I played Assassin's Creed (again), and everything that's wrong with it came flooding back.
Haven't played that game in soooo long. What I remember is that I was mostly enjoying it until the end, when the sneaky stealth game says "gently caress all that stealth poo poo, here's an hour-long grind of sword-fighting." Then the final boss teleports each time you hit him, so you can't get a combo in and do some damage, plus he can one hit kill you. Yeah, I'm probably missing some way of killing him, but I just didn't give a gently caress by that point.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not unique to the game, but I've just finished up Mass Effect 2 and it bugged me every time: NPCs shouting at me because they wandered into my line of fire. If I'm shooting and you run in front of me with no warning, that's not my problem. Don't bitch about me needing to check my fire because you suddenly decided to leave cover and sprint across the whole drat map.

Oh, and I guess the choice in ME1 where you have to let either Kaiden or Ashley die. Why can't it be both?

e: And for all the effort they went to about letting choices from ME1 carry over to 2, I'm annoyed the game ignored that I didn't spend a single moment either in conversation or on a mission with Kaiden that it didn't force me to. Everyone's acting like he was a great friend of mine, when the only time I remember speaking to him is just after Ashley died and I told him to shut the gently caress up questioning my decisions. Carth Onasi sucks.

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Dec 18, 2016

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

QuietLion posted:

Also GB is a ghost, why does he have a shadow and can be shot by normal bullets?
'Cos bustin' makes me feel good.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thin Privilege posted:

GTA related: in 4: no checkpoints in original game. gently caress this forever, Driving the dudes across the city every time if you fail a mission i.e. you die (and specifically that bank mission)--that drive is like 20 minutes long blah blah "C4; PE4" I DONT CARE!

That's stirred up a long repressed memory from Vice City. There's a series of missions leading up to a heist where you have to recruit the various partners you'll need. The safecracker and gunman are both perfectly normal missions. The driver is a complete bitch because he insists that you need to be a better driver than him for him to work with you. Motherfucker, what do I need with you if I'm a better driver? So you have to do a race through the streets against him, and of course he drives loving PERFECTLY. I lost track of how many times I had to to redo that mission before finally beating the little poo poo. But that's not the worst part. I could have coped with that. The worst part is that he drives the car up to the bank, jumps out and starts shooting at the cops, who gun him down. So you have to drive the getaway car yourself, completely defeating the point of recruiting the supposedly great driver. Motherfuckers.

Oh, and the swimming stat in San Andreas that locks half the game away until you've swum several miles, even though there's no reason to go swimming. Rockstar are the luckiest sons of bitches on the planet because I have no idea why people swallow their bullshit.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Action Tortoise posted:

can we all agree that anarky was the dumbest loving enemy in the arkham games?

besides zsasz and electrocutioner i can't think of any other rogues in the games that are stupid as hell.

Electrocutioner was my favorite villain in the series. :colbert:

John Murdoch posted:

City was definitely the worst about this, IMO. And I'm still bummed that Hugo Strange ended up being largely wasted. For story stuff I always preferred Origins and now that I've played Knight I think I like it the best, even if it's still full of problems. Like having Joker talking almost non-loving-stop. I'm pretty sure he has more dialogue in the game where he's dead than the three where he was alive.

Oh thank god, I thought it was just me. Haven't played Knight, but Origins was easily my favorite of the first three. The story in City was a combination of wasted potential and bullshit. Here's Two Face, one of the best of Batman's villains! And he's never seen again after one boss fight about ten minutes into the game! Here's a great mystery as to how the enigmatic Hugo Strange has complete power over the city! But here's the explanation, which is bullshit that would have been laughed out a 1950s comic! Now feel sad over the death of a character you've barely interacted with! Yes, we am teh gratest riters evar!!!

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Jan 4, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

In the same way you'll never see Poison Ivy as Batman, he shows back up as the final boss for Catwoman. And not a very good one at that, since it's basically a clumsy prototype for stuff Knight would do better way later - a predator encounter where Two Face has a large health bar so you have to thin out the guards, then beat on him a bunch, then run away before everyone in the room tries to shoot you. Except to make the encounter work, the guards infinitely respawn. And it takes place in one of the crappier predator rooms.
Ah, didn't know that. I finished the main story in City, then it started off the Catwoman stuff and took me about five minutes to decide I'd had quite enough of that.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The time has come for Clock King.

Can't wait for the DVD extras being a three hour reel of everyone accidentally calling him Cock King.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that reminded me of this great blog and lol the latest example is in fact the Stanley Parable. kill all nerds

What I'm getting from that blog is that the Citizen Kane of videogames is whatever game the writer happens to think is best. To make a short point shorter: gently caress anyone who identifies as a "gamer."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I kind of loved it because it turned out Ulysses was in fact just a gibbering crazy person who'd latched on to you as one more symbol among many and nothing he was saying meant anything whatsoever

The various mods Someguy2000 did have some characters who've met Ulysses. All of them comment on what a dick he is, including a member of the Legion who points out how terrible he is at his job with his inability to go unnoticed. Made me feel a lot better about hating Ulysses, and killing him without listening to anymore of his ramblings at the end of Lonesome Road.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Unskippable cutscenes, especially on a second playthrough. If I have to keep a book on hand to read while "playing" your game, you've done something wrong.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OldTennisCourt posted:

Resident Evil 7 is amazing buuuuuut

Holy poo poo the molded can gently caress off. One or two are fine, but holy loving poo poo, the basement has like 12 of them and I'm getting my poo poo kicked in. I can take out like 7 but then I'm out of ammo and just furiously slicing at them and blocking them. Once or twice I get VERY lucky and take them out in like 2 headshots, but sometimes the fuckers eat all my ammo in like two battles.

Holy gently caress, there was no loving need for that many of them in one small area.

Leon woulda suplexed those bitches to death. :colbert:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if this is just me imagining things, but Pierce is loving useless in the Saints Row games. If he's on a mission with me, I can guarantee I'll end up screaming either "Get in the car you fuckwit" or "Stop shooting the thing we're trying to steal." This doesn't seem to be a problem with other characters, just Pierce seems to be programmed to do the opposite of what you want.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

His AI is definitely dumber than your other companions. Fits his personality like a glove.

I'm so glad someone else noticed it, I was beginning to think I was going mad.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

"This is Pierce. We purposefully programmed him wrong, as a joke."

Fine. But if I hear one more friggin' squeak, I'm gonna take his shoes and shove them up his...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Olaf The Stout posted:

Some parts of 3 were good. Vaz the villain was pretty great and unsettling. A lot of the story is definitely not presented well, but Jason Brody has an actual arc. It didn't work so much in cutscenes, but in play as a FPS, your character is extremely physical and tangible within the world which is grounding. From there, watching him go from a kid way over is head to a bloodthirsty god of war as depicted by the increase in your power from unlockables attacks and arms and armaments, and especially through his increasingly unhinged voice acting through game.

Pity that most of the cutscenes are pretty crap though.

Biggest problem I had was that the game carried on with a villain I didn't care about after Vaz died.

Oh, that and both the endings being a bit poo poo.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Feonir posted:

There is not really a game where all of your direct in game actions follow you around like a cloak inside the cut scene zone. Well except for Alpha Protocol.

The thing dragging every game other than Alpha Protocol down is that they're not Alpha Protocol.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

My favourite is how it introduces and resolves a plot thread involving your boss being corrupt during the ending cutscene.

Doesn't he shoot a dead body with someone else's gun so he can tie them to the murder at the end of the shooting tutorial? That's not exactly upstanding police work.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

And when games do have a lot of optional content people still complain because they missed it and then weren't aware that it was there in the first place. Like the backlash against SUPERHOT being "only two hours long" because they didn't bother playing any of the tons of extra modes that the story mode was basically training for. Or that the ending of Firewatch was terrible because it made no sense and came out of nowhere because they didn't bother to explore and find all the clues. Or missing out on the entire final act of Undertale because they murdered just a few people.

I've seen people complain about New Vegas cutting you off from quests as a result of your faction choices because it means they can't see everything on one playthrough. Maybe it's just because I'm a cheap bastard, but I always figured it was a good thing if a game had more than one run's content in it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a Heavy Rain-inspired mod that changes all the player's dialogue to "SHAUN!"?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Christmas posted:

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC had you on a PMC's ocean base were a bunch of innocent people are taken and often experimented on. A whistleblower has a sub prepped and ready to go, but then the bad guy decides to gas everyone. So you're given a choice at a terminal to vent the gas to save either the single whistleblower, or the many prisoners, who will languish indefinitely.

However, if you do some exploring (or spoil yourself by looking up up achievements), you can find the machine that makes the gas and save everyone. I'm not quite if that cheapens it or not.

Thing that dragged that DLC down for me was the villain doing a "we're not so different, you and I" speech because he's willing to perform horrific medical experiments on kidnapped civilians while you're willing to kill his men who are trying to kill you. I just can't see the similarity.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

Scanning in Mass Effect Andromeda is even worse than ME2. To travel between planets, it has to zoom to the current planet, then zoom across the system to the new planet, then zoom into the planet for a couple seconds, then zoom out slightly. It's unskippable and dumb as hell.

They brought that back? Wow.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gitro posted:

But the correct way to land planes in sandbox games is to jump out and let gravity handle it???

I'm not sure I knew you could land planes in sandbox games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enf20PDuVh0

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Did you fight or evacuate from the valley?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

New vegas pet peeves, Benny is such a missed opportunity, matthew perry sounds like he's in a coma and the character model sucks, i'm trying to change it in the geck but he keeps on looking like an alien with fetal alcohol syndrome.
Getting Caesar to crucify him was pretty sweet, though.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When games are getting day one patches that are measured in gigabytes, is there really a point to buying a hard copy of a game?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hope whoever decided the sandstorms in Mad Max were a good idea finds all their itches are unreachable for the rest of their life.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Olaf The Stout posted:

But sandstorms have the best loot and aren't that bad? Hook megaloot crates and position your car so you're in the lee of the wind when you jump out to break and loot them, make like 2,000 scrap per storm. You actually want sandstorms they're the fastest way to make scrap in the game.

I have twice in the last day found myself caught in a sandstorm while unable to get in my (or any other) car because I'm part way through a mission. I am, as I type this, sitting behind a wall waiting for a sandstorm to end. This is not a good feature. gently caress. Sandstorms.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mad Max again. Trying to do a side mission where you have to go to a specific location at night and use your binoculars to find something. Fine. Except there's no way to accelerate time until it's dark, so I've got to stand around doing loving nothing AGAIN. No other mission I've encountered has been time based, so why not just have the game automatically cycle to night when you get to the right place?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Action Tortoise posted:

Brotherhood was great because you could summon Assassin's to spawn from hay bales and stab targets or call down a rain of arrows. Poison stabbing a guard in a group of four was the funniest thing since he'd swing violently around and kill his buddies for you.

But they could never make the Apple a compelling (or sensible) weapon.
The thing dragging any Assassinss Creed game down is the Assassin's Creed IP. Get rid of the future gameplay/cutscenes and all the silliness about Assassins and Templars fighting for control of artifacts from a pre-human civilisation, and you're left with fun games about going to intersting historical settings, meeting interesting historical people, and shoving interesting historical pieces of metal into their faces.

Oh, and the tailing/eavesdropping missions can eat a dick. Especially when you're supposed to sneak through a bunch of enemies undected IN A loving SHIP.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished Assassin's Creed IV. Really enjoyed it apart from the usual AssCreed bullshit previously mentioned. Problem I had with the story is that at no point do the Assassins and Templars do anything to justify them being regarded as the heroes and villains, respectively. The Assassins are supposed to be the good guys, but are siding with pirates who make their living by killing people and stealing their property. In contrast, the evil Templars are trying to stop piracy, and even make a reasonable offer for pirates to walk away unpunished if they cease their actions. I hoping there's going to be a big twist if they ever finish the series, and it turns out the Assassins were the baddies all along.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bought The Saboteur in GoG's sale. I know this is because I've just finished Assassin's Creed IV, but I got to a point where it tells me to tail someone in a car without getting too close and I just could not bring myself to keep playing. I think I need to play a nice simple shooter to cleanse the palate.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's maybe 2 chase missions in the entire game.

Both are easy as gently caress and barely require you to be cognizant of what you are doing, then go back to murdering Nazis.

That's reassuring. I think I'll play a bit of Resident Evil 4 or Revelations, then get back to it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Origins is the only Arkham game I've really enjoyed. :shrug:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

btw Jack from mass effect 2 was a good character, i'm a sucker for space punk psychopaths and I thought she was the best bit.

So disappointed you couldn't recruit her to your team. But don't worry, you can have Kaiden or Ashley back! :what: At least you get the option to kill the fucker who's been openly calling you a traitor for the whole game.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've just realised that Sleeping Dogs would be better if Mrs Chu was one of the women you could romance. She could unlock unbreakable melee weapons.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Reading your post almost makes me wish for a nuclear winter.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Did anyone even play these games? I don't think I've ever met a single other person who did.
Played the first one, it was pretty good. There was a DC equivalent as well, which was a little weird because it opened with Superman and Batman fistfighting robots who could be destroyed with a punch from either character. Oh, and the power recovery time was really weird when most of Batman's powers were throwing things from his belt.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Agents are GO! posted:

I know it's not really germane, but when playing ME1 everytime I heard about Sovereign, I would think of Sovereign Citizens start laughing.

Glad it's not just me. I like to imagine the one that gets its poo poo messed up by a giant worm in 3 is screaming "I DO NOT CONSENT! I DO NOT CONSENT!" as the worm leaps on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games did the whole "Item Crafting" mechanic well? A lot of time it's either mostly skippable (Witcher 3) or baffling (Assassin's Creed 3) or just promotes farming for it's own sake (No Man's Buy). There is an appeal to it like how Dark Cloud 2 did it very well. You take photos of everything, and then combine three photos together to come up with an idea for an invention, which you can then make out of a box of scraps. This all works well for verisimilitude because the player character is supposed to be a genius-mechanic in the making.

So what are best examples of Item Crafting? Yes, I've heard of Atelier.

There's a mod for New Vegas that adds in the ability to use junk items to craft weapon modifications. I find it an improvement because it can be impossible to find, say, a light machinegun extended magazine if you're hoping the RNG will drop one into a vendor's inventory.