Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Darksiders

Its just fetchquest after fetchquest. Interrupted by fights that last far ,far, too long.

God of war but Catholic mythology sounds real fun but I find myself dreading any combat because it just takes too long.

The combat is so repetitive
x x x x-hold
Repeat
End game

I regret not picking easy at the start, so I can finish it quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

FeastForCows posted:

Poltergeists in Prey. They don't pose a threat and are just a really annoying time waster. So far I haven't found any reliable way to kill them off besides "wait, shoot, repeat".

They add a nice bit of friction, I don't mind them, but I can understand the friction.

My two main issues with prey are it's length and it's inability to respec

I feel like the game wants me to play through like 5 times, but it's drat long

Either
A. Have a long rear end rpg where I can pay like 4 neuromods to full respec at a recycler or something.

Or

B. Have a game that is short but dense enough to support multiple play throughs

Just kinda falls apart at the end

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Len posted:

Also Exploding Kittens is a trash game for trash people. I thought it would be but finally played it and it's nice to know I'm right

Coup sucks balls too, love the art style and the mechanics but God I hate the social engineering of it.

Like I get the game, just I really don't like the social play of it. I struggle enough at the best of times to work out what is going on in a conversation, let me just make this social activity wholey dependant on not trusting each other and the social aspect now becomes stilted and frustrating. GG

Edit: I am an incredible autist and am aware of this fact

Jestery has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Aug 27, 2018

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I played a game called zanzarah that was like a 3rd person Pokemon game but each battle was a FPS Alá quake in an arena

Each mon/fairy having a rock paper scissors strength vs weaknesses, and with certain types being able to fly or only having melee or other special abilities.

A Pokemon game like that sounds pretty rad

Example video
https://youtu.be/6y_Wcwol5Yw

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Morpheus posted:

Oh geez, think I played this game for like an hour when I was a kid. I remember absolutely nothing about it except for being surprised at how the combat worked, given what the game looked like.

It came on a demo from a PC magazine along with a surprisingly complete chicken invaders game

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Can't get into Far Cry 5 because of the unskippable cutscenes chock full of horrible, tryhard performances and dialogue and the general shittiness of the storytelling.

Can't get into Far Cry New Dawn because, although now I can skip the cutscenes, it's full of insanely stupid design decisions that just make it an utter chore to play.

I fucken hate Ubisoft so much.

Far cry 5 gets a point in my books for telling a story in non conventional ways

Cutscenes on TVs that you see in the first area

Hallucinations if you don't "walk the path" in the drug waif's area

I can't remember the other guy, but I appreciate that in the game

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Captain Hygiene posted:

If only it had been telling an interesting story in non conventional ways

Very true, very very true

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I recently started playing Robot shooty-bang game generation Zero and found a rather interesting immersion breaker.

The game supposes that you have been on a camping trip and have returned to a world devoid of humans that has been taken over by roaming robots.

While exploring the game tries to do a Bethesda and do some environmental story telling with discovering arranged corpses and destroyed robots , or rebel encampments etc etc

I keep finding campsites with campfires and food on them or Cars with their headlights on, implying some amount of rapid shock and awe tactics by the robots (1-2 days). I also am finding ad hoc rebel encampments that have been constructed out of scrap and burnt out rusted cars, implying a longer drawn out battle (2 weeks to a month)

These conflicting datums stand independent of each other geographically but it has made getting into the admittedly scant story that much harder.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Oxxidation posted:

jedi fallen order is a perfectly competent beige action game but the character models are just a little bit off in a way that's constantly distracting

the protagonist has this jutting cro-magnon jawline

You see , I thought the same thing....

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Except maybe The Snowman.

That film should be studied for how to not make a film

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Speaking of Red dead

In RDR1 Your dead eye skill levels up as you progress through

Level one - slow down time and fire manually

Level two - mark spots on enemy manually and the protagonist rapidly fires at all at the end of deadeye

Level three -spots are automatically marked as you drag your reticle over an enemy
Reticle on the left side of someone's body and want to shoot their right hand? Prepare to drag 3 targeting points across their body and maybe now miss their hand

Level two is objectively better that there, and level three is definitely more annoying than one. Being able to paint targets selectively is just more fun than the game deciding where you should shoot, especially in a game that indulges in the "shoot the guns out of their hands" fantasy

And to progress the story you need to upgrade your deadeye to a less fun version of it with no way to select which one you liked more

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

CJacobs posted:

The Surge 2 lets you turn off texture streaming, which makes the game load all of the textures an area needs (minus stuff that spawns in) during the loading screen. As a result the game uses a few GB more memory and takes a few seconds longer to load, but there's no pop-in whatsoever and it runs generally smoother. Hopefully as consoles get closer to being PCs in a fancy box, which seems to be the trend to me, they'll start to incorporate more PC-standard options like that.

edit: This doesn't have anything to do with reducing file size, just thought I'd mention that texture streaming is a problem which may soon be solved for consoles and I think that's pretty neat.

I recently started playing the surge two, it's bloody good I'll need to dig around the setting menu

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Could split the GTA difference and have it be University and do a ruff on old frat house films

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Make it like Revenge of the Nerds only you play a well-educated Jock who beats up nerds for being rapists.

The mascot is a literal white night, the game writes itself

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

John Murdoch posted:

You can win Isaac runs without using a single outside source for information. Just like you can make it through Dark Souls blind with enough effort. But there's no getting around the fact that system mastery has an enormous impact on how you play the game and your chances of success.

This isn't a defense, btw. I actually hate when games rely too much on system mastery. But I also just happen to enjoy watching streams and end up internalizing stuff so. :shrug:

To harp back on about the surge 2, it's onboarding was rather good. I wish there had been a bit more time taken to explain some mechanics thought enemies that were even more vulnerable to counters. But in very glad I stuck with it for a great accessible souls like

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

The Surge 2

The post-processing makes everything look like rear end. It's as if Roger Deakins threw up.

It probably wouldn't have hurt to have a fast-travel point in every zone. It wouldn't make the game easier, every shortcut gets used anyway, and it could be disabled during set-pieces.

The plot would have been vastly improved if 90% of the dialogue was cut.

It's better to be endearing than eye-rolling.

It's hard to justify using any inject-able other than the basic healing one, or any drone apart from the EMP one.

It is very easy to gently caress up the quest for Warren. You venture to another zone too early, or pick the wrong dialogue option, and you're screwed out of a reward.

Liked it more than Sekiro though. 4/5 .

Completely agree about being endearing, there are those audio logs that are just a bit of fun but it's really hard to reconcile "hey where did that robot come from oh well *screaming noises* *huehuehue* " with like "I'm going to shoot this little girl if the nanite cloud gets out of control, trust me it's humanity's final test" would have been better if they had leaned more on the wacky(?).

The fact that the basic EMP drone and directional implant are on the level of "I will never uninstall these" just annoys me that that they took so long to get and were not just implicit in the game mechanic

I like that the drone is actually usefulnow , I'm for sure Gunna go weird on my Ng+ playthrough

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Death Stranding has completely spoiled me for traversal in open world games (even though Death Stranding itself was one only very nominally). Movement needs to be either even simpler than "push direction and hold X" - like RDR 2 and GTA V might as well just make their extended travel dialogues into cutscenes and get us some visual direction - , or a challenge in itself.

I heard some one say that an open world game without well thought out traversal is just an elaborate menu screen

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm kind of hating how some games give you some kind of title or status but then don't actually reflect it in the game. Like becoming the number one champion or mercenary or leader of a faction and the game doesn't even change dialogs.

Again with AC:Odyssey, but at one point you become like queen of the amazons but said amazons don't even recognize you and you still are expected to rob and murder them. You become the worlds number one mercenary and every merc you run across in the world calls you a scrub and tells you how inexperienced you are. You kill fifty of the main cabal of bad guy leaders and the remaining story treats you like you're just finding out who they are and the organization still acts like it's unharmed and invulnerable.

Mercenaries for PS2 sorta approximated by this

You had a choice of 3 different characters that spoke different languages and had different backgrounds.

And while in mission briefings the dialogue would be understandable respectively. As well as appropriate quips based on military background or pragmatic worldview.

Combined with a robust faction system that actually impacted gameplay (don't piss of faction A too much because you buy airstrikes from them , action B does supply drops and vehicles and faction C does artillery)

It had a nice feeling of existing in a world that mattered.

It's shame the sequel sucked rear end so dang much

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I recently got playing a sequel to the point and click game The Fall

The first one had this really compelling hook.
You are playing as the AI of a combat exosuit and your pilot is unconcious. Get the pilot to safety.

The twist sort of being that you are bound by the laws of robotics and need to engineer situations that establish a reason for you to unholster your pistol , or use abilities

It's a great idea and compelling enough to finish it.

The Fall 2 has you playing as the same AI that is physically locked to a location and you are metroiding your way through cyber space to inhabit other random robots ( army bot, Butler bot etc) and exploiting loopholes in their programming/scheduleding for...reasons...

It is significantly less compelling as a narrative device, and there are side on combat portions that just kinda suck . This is because the "combat" system has been lifted from the last where it was more about using your pistol to push a faraway button at the right time or as part of a prescribed stealth section. It's almost like monkey island meets Metroid in the worst way.

Also it's weirdly windowed on my machine and just uncomfortable to play.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Evilreaver posted:

If VR games have taught me anything it's that you can train yourself to use two pistols at the same time to fire on either the same target at any range or two different targets at any range if you play them long enough in, for example, quarantine

What's that? Recoil? Never heard of it

Speaking of VR

There is a very strange movement mechanic in

"Fake World's vr" (it's free)

It is similar to a rail shooter, in so far as you are on a platform hovering in a very large corridor and move down it shooting enemies. (Feels like 747 hanger sized at least)

Yours hands can alternate between two "modes" a simple gun to shoot enemies with. The other is able to manipulate a small orb in the centre of the platform at waist height

To move you grab the orb and toss it in a speed and direction then click a button.

After clicking the button the platform will move off , mirroring the speed and direction of the ball.

This whole thing allows for some interesting motion since the platform does not immediately chase the vector of the ball. You can "throw" an escape path. Shoot guns akimbo and then at your discretion chose to quickly change speed and direction to what was thrown

It's a bizzare bizzare movement system and I guess that my little thing dragging it down is that it genuinely hurts your arms after a while but it is really quite fun and unique

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Been chugging through the NG+ of the surge 2

It's pretty cool knowing what to do and just demolishing enemies with your now acquired endgame knowledge

To counter this the game plops down endgame enemies at random points as if to remind you that you are indeed playing new game plus

The enemies are rather difficult (duh) but also split themselves in two immediately upon engagement, and if you don't kill both quickly enough the remaining one will spilt again to try and keep a sort of status quo of two high level enemies in the immediate fight

It's just frustrating and a poor attempt at making NG+ More "fun" by adding additional , tougher, annoying enemies

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Dark souls: Just yank your Ethernet cable

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

DrBouvenstein posted:

They also got rid of radio towers entirely after the slog that was climbing the shrine towers in 4.

Cue me just 9/11ing an autogyro into each tower and getting them all done in an hour

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

I recommend The Surge 2 because it's actually piss-easy next to other souls-likes, doubles down on the metroid element, and you can change builds without penalty. Just ignore the plot.

I agree with this

It makes parrying not be an arcane art

Encourages varied play styles and has just enough plot that you always are beating down on da bad dudes

The 3/4 point drags a little but gives you time to play around with play styles.

Everything is conveyed to you, maybe a little too much as once. But at least it's clear and you don't have to go wiki diving

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My big problem with parrying is that the direcitonal parry indicator is over the player, and not the enemy, so I have to split my focus in a way that feels really unnatural. And the enemy animations are just messy and noisy enough that it's a pain in the arse to parry without the indicator.

Now that you mention it that seperation definitely exists, my counter point is that by the end you sort of "see the falling code" and it slips into a definite not paying attention to "the game".

The animations for sure are not clear

By the end of the game a
player should be able work out a party and time it appropriately. I don't think I could even get close, the player animations don't make clear sense between up and down, left and right are pretty readable IMO

If you are going to fill a slot with an implant that basically no player will ever remove then maybe just make it part of the HUD

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Sunset Overdrive:

I'm into the second act and despite being a "comedy" game I have sat stone-faced. I doubt there was a single writer in the dev-team who was under the age of 35.

There is a massive poo poo ton of different currencies. For some reason there are nine different collectibles and if you want to find them you have to buy nine treasure maps for four districts. These maps aren't cheap and come from the same pool of currency needed to buy weapons. gently caress it, I'm going to cheat so I don't have to wait if I want to try every weapon before beating the game. For all it's faults Just Cause 3 had the wise idea to have no currency and just give you new poo poo every time you blow a military base up.

Find a "wheel" of weapons that works for you and just stick with it. The pistol is extremely good

The weapon variety was seriously over hyped because the enemies are so simple, telling that this team also made ratchet and clank

I would have preferred half the weapons but with more distinct weapon "impact"

When you get the maps the game basically becomes zero stakes Tony hawk

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Just finished off Titanfall 2

Few things

The opening cinematic and tutorial seem to promise a sense of fluid motion and killing ability that the game never quite delivers on. I was expecting something between high mobility tribes skiing and bulletstorm gunplay.

The levels just seem to alternate between (admittedly fun) first person platforming , (competent) COD style shooting , and ( some of the best in a long time) mech combat.

All the elements are there but never quite coalesce into what it seems to promising. The momentum just seems to be lost the moment you touch the ground, the sprinting feels super slow, I was checking all throughout the campaign if I actually was sprinting or if the auto sprint was wigged out and the slide jump (which is seems to be how you maintain momentum on horizontal surfaces) just flat out doesn't work.

But I have this feeling that the level geometry wouldn't support the movement system as much as the game wants you to believe

What I want, and that the game implies will be possible,

is to wall run through a level , jump off , headshot some dudes , land on my titan, Minigun a massive bot and eject and slide jump back into a wall run, throw grenades.....etc etc etc all as this fluid motion

Which , ok fair enough maybe the skill ceiling is just a bit beyond me, but it's a COD style shooter with a 4 hour campaign and I had a few middling moments of fun, not the high octane , start to finish ride that was spruiked at me

But everything is just too fast and and imprecise. Obviously you have to balance things , and you can't expect MLG headshots at a million miles an hour , but this game was hyped up a whole bunch.

It just seems like less than the sum of its parts

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I tried that, and admittedly the grappling hook helps a lot with the mobility issue, but the slide jump still doesn't function how I feel it should intuitively function. And I can't work it out

I'm at the point of chalking it up to a bug tbh

The multiplayer from what little I've played has some mobility improvements , and an arena allows for more considered map design.

But it's just past a case of too little too late

These little stumbling blocks of transition between areas of mech-ing, jumping and shooting kept interrupting my sense of flow and just had me incredibly frustrated by the end.

And the worst part is that small sections of the game do manage this so it's always tantalisingly in reach

But then the game was over before I felt it had even started

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Zoig posted:

Mostly the trick to keeping momentum going is constant wall running and using the slide button midair before you touch the ground to keep your momentum going, and then bhopping from that slide to keep moving fast. Air has no resistance in Titanfall and wallruns speed you up a lot but in the end the campaign levels are not quite made for that kind of stuff.

Now if you really want to go fast in multiplayer, if you add what i mentioned above to a stim you can cross maps in a matter of moments and really skilled players can keep the speed going from it for quite a while.

Yeah that's why I'm thinking it's a bug, I've tried hitting the slide button at all points in the jump (at touchdown, before touchdown, midair, etc) and it just seems to slow down and not have the momentum skid I'm looking for. Ergo bug?

That's sorta what I'm getting at with the campaign levels though, the movement system is not in harmony with the game that it is in.

I'm willing to forgive the movement system, and I still had fun in the campaign with the movement and inventive concepts.

Like it's short and sweet-ish but constantly trips over itself ,I genuinely don't get the hype

I'd be interested in a thirds Titanfall , because I think this is the closest a high movement shooter campaign to really pulling it off. But as it stands I'm just not impressed. Which is a shame

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Speaking of non-standard controller layouts

I'm playing nioh at the moment

I keep trying to attack with my stance button
(Xbox controller)
The well worn R1 - light R2-heavy is no more

It is X-light Y-heavy in this game, which is kinda funny

Not sure if it's a criticism but
Game is just fast, I'm playing it with a controller as is reccomended and it genuinely feels like the lag of moving the stick through the wall cycle to get to the run cycle is impairing it

It really expects frame perfect precision and planning pretty much all the time with bosses

As a criticism though

Medium and Heavy builds just aren't viable

Even with the heaviest armour I have at the moment I still get one shot by the bosses and half the mooks. Would be nice to have a continuum rather than a dead end

Like I get that it's a hard as nails game, but gently caress me , some onboarding would be nice

I just have very little idea what my build is doing at any time.

Improving your "Heart" increases your health by 30 points. The enemies are easily cranking out 300-1000 damage per hit; 30hp ain't doing much for me

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
In my habit of complaining about souls likes

Currently started on Dark souls 3 with my partner. They are going spell caster , I'm going full melee.

We are having fun enough, but I would just love to not have to bother with embers and kindling to play co-op. Tieing multiplayer to a consumable resource is just frustrating.

limiting my ability to heal as the summoned on is annoying aswell

Ultimately I want true coop dark souls to have fun with my partner,

when it's good it's good , but the mechanics means that's like 10 minutes together of an hour's play and I don't have time for that

Heaps of fun: running round lodric , atmosphere is great, loving up dudes and bosses

Not fun: dieing to something dumb , wasting a consumable, having to grind an ember or two and doing that again

I know what I'm asking of dark souls is a bit ,"not what dark souls is". Just it's really bringing the enjoyment of the game down for us

Genuinely considering getting a cheat engine and giving myself and the missus a bagillion embers but I'm not sure if that will impact the multiplayer

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

ilmucche posted:

Pretty sure dumping loads of farmable items into your inventory doesn't get you put on the cheater server, but don't take that as absolute truth.

Is cheat engine easy to use? I want to cook up some builds to mess around without doing all the farming necessary

I've done it in DS 1

Don't take it as gospel but the process used was

-Farm 3-10 of the item you want to dupe
-scan using the cheat engine, this will return all the number values in the game. One of which is the item you want to dupe
-use the item
-scan for differences , this will make a short list
-use the item again, scan for differences again repeat untill your short list is only 3-5 items
-change the values of them untill you work out which is the item you want, and save this item address

That's how I did it, but I'm sure there is an easier way now

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

VanSandman posted:

Yeah, drop the item, don't use it. I got infinite titanite slabs that way by picking up and dropping 1 (and you bet your rear end there are a bunch of 1/0 toggles in the game code) for like five minutes.

That makes much more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
For those concerned

I have "gitt'n gud" and finished dark souls 3