Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Tiny Tina is still supremely obnoxious, Janey Springs doesn't shut up nearly fast enough, you can only skip perhaps two cutscenes in the entire game, drop rates are so stingy that single-player is effectively "no orange weapons for me, thanks" mode, and TVHM is somehow more broken and frustrating than ever before.

I got through Borderlands 2's main story without issue, but I couldn't get anywhere in NewGame+ or the DLC after Scarlet's because how stingy they are with weapon drops.
Then I found Cheatengine, raised the drop rate a bunch and suddenly the game was fun and playable again. Turns out a lot of enemies aren't a giant damage sponge when you actually have weapons that are at your level.

I recently finished Tales of Xillia on the PS3 and I feel that the Tales series combat is getting far too complex for its own good. There are so many layered systems on top of each other combining with every character not only having their own unique moves, style and abilities, they also have a link ability with whoever you are controlling. Now throw this into a fast paced 3d environment and I'm simply staring at a bunch of anime people shouting at each other while I'm mashing buttons.
The funny thing is, you can mash buttons for a huge portion of the game and still get through. In Xillia, I didn't know you could switch characters in combat until the last boss. I somehow never read the tutorial for that. I never did figure out what the gently caress I was supposed to do in Tales of the Abyss with whatever its battle gimmick was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

I also really dislike how fast you die in almost every single FPS these days. All the guns are samey and usually only with like a 5-15% variation in dmg or rate of fire and they all kill you in half a second or just instantly if its a headshot.

It promotes twitchskills and I'm personally good at that but its also not as fun imo. I wish shooters would start doing larger healthpools again

It seems like every FPS is making the time to kill shorter and shorter every game. Most FPS games feel like someone turned on insta-gib.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I recently finished up Shadowrun Returns, and while I enjoyed it quite a bit, it had a few things that really dragged it down. Mainly, guns were far more powerful then pretty much everything else in the game per skill point that using anything else was kinda silly. Late game mages finally came into their own with some good AoE abilities, but by then you had characters packing burst fire shotguns that would do 60+ damage a turn, and most characters had around 60 health.

Also, I'd bring Deckers along at every mission, hoping they'd be able to do something, but the only mission where one is useful they provide one, and its the best decker in the game anyway.

Still, game was pretty enjoyable and I hope Dragonfall is even better.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

I was playing and enjoying this, but I was getting to the point where I felt like it should have ended already. Then I got to a point where it looked like the majority of the enemies I'd be fighting from there on out were those "unkillable" things which sounded pretty miserable so I just stopped.

Thankfully they disappear after that mission until the end of the game, by the time you see them again, you have a way to handle them. Also it was that point where I finally learned out to set overwatch.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

That looks like it does some things that I'd like, but also does some annoying things, and from what I could tell it's all or nothing, you can't pick which things you want. Besides, having eight people follow you into those cramped caves and buildings seems like more hassle than it's worth.

I had a problem with one of the older versions of that mod where the character AI would just shut off, and all of sudden Lydia or whoever would just be standing there. You could talk to them, trade with them and so on, just they'd never move again.
While on Skyrim, it was funny how they handed the character Lydia early on and I never once saw a reason to swap her out with anyone else. 1st time through the game, I think she killed more enemies then my character did.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I still haven't gotten around to playing To The Moon, but I have to say it's shuffled a long way down my backlog now. I have this weird opinion that there were games with good stories before 2011 so I'm afraid it'll seem even worse by comparison.

It was unique for its time and can be played to the end in a couple of hours. I liked the soundtrack at least.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Mechahamster posted:

I always thought that the reason Borderlands 2 was so flawed because it wants to be an MMO that forces you to kill the same boss 50 times in a group if you want the good stuff.

Sometimes you just want to crank the difficulty down and mow down dudes using overpowered poo poo. BL2 didn't give you that option even though that game had the potential to be perfect for it.

The solution to most of Borderlands 2's problems is to simply fire up cheat engine and raise the drop rates on rare and above gear. It is crazy just how many unique types of weapons are in the game that most people will simply never see since drop rates are so low.

They need to look at how Blizzard fixed Diablo 3. They made it so fun stuff dropped often enough that it felt like you were constantly upgrading, or had options depending on playstyle. While in BL2, I played the gunzerker and used the same fire elemental autoshotgun and slag smg for 1/2 the game, because nothing better ever dropped.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Sleeveless posted:

You paid $60 for a five-hour anime QTE with a boob-staring minigame, you deserve everything you get.

It also has a part where a guy stabs the main character with a sword so long it penetrates the earth. He does this from space.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I really wanted to like Gods Will Be Watching. Even the story of the game itself is likable--it's the product of one of those "create a game in X hours" competitions that was kickstarted and turned into a full-length game. I dig the story, told in-game through vignettes you play through to learn about the characters and their motivations. You even (kind of) get to author their histories by making important choices and the game tells you at the end of each section how your decisions compared to the average player's. Very cool.

But gently caress, why did they have to be so ham-fisted about the theme/motif of sacrifice? The player character's name is Burden (:rolleyes:), and he has to make all the hard choices. Some of them are obvious (don't give a pep-talk about death when you're stranded on an alien planet with little hope of survival) and some of them aren't, but sometimes you get stuck being the bad guy because of the downright malicious RNG.

Seriously, gently caress the RNG. I get that they want you to play a lot and lose a lot and try everything out but goddrat, doing the same poo poo over and over and failing constantly isn't a gameplay feature, it's tedium.

When you finally get to the end, you figure out (ending spoilers ahead for those of you who might actually stick with this poo poo long enough to finish it) exactly why they wanted you to fail so much--the BIG SUPER CLEVER REVEAL is that the players are the gods, controlling Burden's every move, over and over again. He never knows why, just that he keeps failing, and he's done it millions upon millions of times. Get it? Because so many people played the game and failed so many times!

I wouldn't be so disappointed except for the fact that they ruined their chance to make the reveal meaningful by botching the "I remember these decisions" sequence. Guys and gals, if he's done this literally millions of times, you need to show more than three loving events in your EPIC MEMORY SEQUENCE, for gently caress's sake.

It could've been so much better :eng99:

I just tried this for the first time tonight after getting it months ago in a steam sale, and played the first mission for a few minutes. It seems like I have to juggle a ton of poo poo all at the same time, but occasionally things just happen and I lose. I guess its back to the WHY? section of the steam list.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

I would always use VATS at first for easy hadshots or to shoot dynamite right out of people's hands, but then I'd switch to manual shooting because I'm impatient.

Running backwards waiting for VATS to fill up just doesn't feel good. The problem is the game lets you have your cake and eat it too. It should really prevent you from manual shooting for awhile if you used VATS and you have 0 energy, but that'd also be lame so I can see why they didn't do it that way.

Some mods turn VATS energy into kind of a stamina, so it can be used for sprinting or a bullet time(which is dumb). I don't know if it was something broken when I played, but if I ran out of that the aim bloom was pretty much 1/3 of the screen. It still let you fire, just you weren't accurate at all.

Best part about VATS is going melee and punching someone so hard they get stuck in a wall, until they start vibrating from the physics breaking, then shoot out at the speed of sound.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Anatharon posted:

Persona 4 Golden is pretty fun but man there's a bunch of things I dislike.

Fusion is annoying, there's no list of what makes what. So if you need say, a Valkyrie and don't have any way to make it offhand, good luck.

It sucks that only the MC can change his persona, because leveling is really slow and trying to get 3 levels for all the spells a persona can learn is tedious as heck.

There are charts on gamefaqs that give you an idea of what arcana mixes will give you what you want. It doesn't account for level, but its easy enough to vacuum up enough low tier personas to make most things.

Don't try to get a persona to learn everything through combat xp, you'll get most abilities from the initial fusion and bonuses. Its better to just mix them with another persona and get the abilities that way. Or spend a bunch on cards.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I think all the DLC for Fallout NV had some serious downsides. OWB had issues where just about every creature had way too many hitpoints, but the setting and characters made up for it. Honest Hearts had neat background stuff going on, I liked the backstory of the ranger, but the quests were dull. Dead Money did everything right but the execution and dealing with the radios. Lonesome Road was the best playing, but goddamn was I tired of listening to that guy.

At least they were better off then Fallout 3's. Broken Steel threw the balance off with terrible creatures and HP sinks. Point Lookout had hillbillies with shotguns that acted like railguns, and the HP pool of a Super Mutant. The only good thing with Anchorage was getting the stealth suit at the end. Zeta was just dumb.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Alaois posted:

know what, I've actually got something to post for once.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. I don't know which is sadder or more plausible, that the developers tried to balance the Tech and Magic paths, and failed completely and utterly, or that they didn't even try and knew full well that Magic was better in every conceivable fashion compared to Tech.

Back when that came out, I went with magic, and my roommate went with tech. After a couple of hours of time, he was digging through every trashcan in the main city looking for items to make bullets, he was constantly broke and struggled on most fights. My magic character on the other hand ran roughshod over every encounter in the game. I used summon magic initially, as one of the early spells in the tree summoned 2 ogre characters that could tank anything and did pretty huge damage. They fixed that in a patch, but by that time I had found the most overpowered spell in the game, a early tier magic spell that made an enemy drop their weapon. It almost always worked, and most enemies didn't have the AI to pick the weapon back up, so they'd run up and try to punch me. If they didn't have a weapon, there was still all the other spells and abilities.
Meanwhile, my roommate got a lovely spider bot to summon that lasted maybe a round of combat, cost materials to use and had to rely on guns. I don't think he ever finished it as tech.

Game had a nice soundtrack though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lord Lambeth posted:

Everything I've heard of it suggests it's a crappy gta-like and Saints Row 2 is where the series found it's footing.

One thing about SR1 was even though it had a lot of weaknesses with its story and presentation, it played really well. The best was that it controlled like a 3rd person shooter did, and still had the GTA-like world going on. GTA didn't have decent controls until 5.
Also shooting rockets at the elevated train simply never gets old in that game. Or tossing pipe bombs in through open windows on cars.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Away all Goats posted:

The only other games I've seen people get into such a frothing rage over other than MOBAs are the Left 4 Dead series. There's something about small team games where teamwork is absolutely essential does the complete opposite and ends up making them hate each other.

Rocket League suffers this to a certain extent, some people get really loving upset if you miss a save or score in your own goal but I haven't seen anything as bad as in MOBA/L4D

People turn into complete shitheads in L4D, I don't get it. A friend invited me to a game he was in with 2 other people. I hadn't played much L4D, so I generally just kinda followed the crowd and tried to be helpful. Apparently everything I did was wrong according to this one person, and he kept stewing about it. I was not playing properly and doing things according to The Best Way.

I noticed in chat that he was getting madder, but since things weren't explained to me, I kept doing whatever. I figured he was a shithead, so I decided to gently caress up hardcore and really piss him off. He stopped typing in game and was just bitching to everyone on voice chat about how I wasn't playing the right way. Turns out, he has a certain way to play L4D levels, no deviation. Mission is about over, he gets hit by a tank and is downed. I stop and look at him, then run to the escape helicopter.
According to my friend, he started yelling about how terrible a person I was. I've never played a L4D game after that, as inadvertently causing a manchild to lose his poo poo means I've won the game.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
A real late MGS5 mission has you defending a point from a shitload of armored vehicles and troops. The APCs are easy enough to handle, they move close enough and don't have the health to survive a hit from that cluster rocket launcher. The tanks though like to hang out on the ridge near edge of the map and snipe. This is where the problem is, the tanks are capable of aiming in on my position the instant I fire, which gives me about a second to get into cover. As the mission goes on, this is cut down to the point where tanks are shooting at me before I even leave cover. My favorite is one being able to put a shot just right into the building where I was hit while running from one end to the next.

It would be one thing if I could prepare, but the mission checkpoints after the first couple vehicles are dead, and gives me time to drop a single supply drop, and 0 time to run out and set mines.

The first 30ish missions of MGS5 were really good, but the backhalf of the game is kinda lovely.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

As an aside, how is Legend of Heroes? I can't get enough JRPGs, so I'm interested.

The first Legend of Heroes is a very solid JRPG that just does everything right. It doesn't excel at anything in particular, it just works. Characters aren't obnoxious, the story moves at a nice place, the combat is just difficult enough to be engaging. I've seen Trails FC down to 10 bucks on Steam/GOG recently, so keep an eye out for another sale.

Only thing that dragged the first game was ending on a cliffhanger and at the time there was no indication that a sequel would ever be translated.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

the worst thing about it is that you can't opt out of that aspect of online if you don't want to get locked out of your stock. it's the difference between having 2 trucks and having 25.

I hate that I've sent legions of s+ soldiers to this one dispatch mission and it still has the success rate of 66% and always fails.

I'm glad I was most of the way through MGSV before they started getting the online stuff in the game. Some patch moved 3/4 of my poo poo into online storage where it can't be accessed or sold, so I guess I played Grand Theft Afghanistan for no reason.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

food court bailiff posted:

Destiny nonsense.

I really wish they actually exposed that a more in the games then they did.

All I remember from the first one is we found an AI! Now ot the moon! Green zombies! Now Venus, oh no robots, off to Mars! Space marines and oh its over. It felt like some interesting things were hidden in it, but why hide your content?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

New Butt Order posted:

The first Dragon Age had this as well, and everybody hated it then. I'm not sure what compels games companies to keep repeating this sin. It must actually sell DLCs, I guess.

Dragon Age was really bad with having a bunch of DLC hooks show up early on that gave you quests you couldn't do unless you paid up. Not only that, but on the PC all the DLC poo poo had to be purchased with their own currency, so if you did want to pick up something, you had to buy their money which would almost always leave you with extra.

Probably the worst was Mass Effect 3, which had a pretty important character be a pre-order bonus. It was really obvious that that character was supposed to be in the regular party, since he had a ton of lines around the game.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It made a kind of sense in Far Cry: Primal because in that one, your connection with the owl and ability to tame any wild animal you come across by staring at it really hard is explicitly spiritual: you get them as the result of a vision quest triggered by your tribe's shaman. Jamming it into the next AC, which has no spiritual elements and in fact rejects religion/spirituality with the ancient aliens and pieces of eden and stuff, is really egregious.

Ubisoft is incapable of letting a feature go from game to game.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Playing it again out of curiosity, I'm realizing why I abandoned Anno 2070 after only a few hours: its utter impenetrability. Not only am I generally not told how to do X and have to do guesswork on how to proceed, a lot of the time I'm dumped onto a screen and given no basic instruction on how to do it.

I just half-rage-half-meh quit when I was dumped onto a trade route screen with absolutely no knowledge on what the hell to do, what random name represents which base, and which base is in dire need of what thing.

Anno 2070 was even more incomprehensible if you picked it up late. The main menu would barrage you DLC notifications, characters would discuss late game events even if you haven't finished the tutorial.
The base game itself is the typical Anno series resource chain game, but there is this weird layer on top that exists purely to be confusing. Not to mention a lovely RTS mode that exists that is crazy easy if you slowly creep around the map and horde the cooldowns, but extremely difficult if you don't. Game is honestly a mess.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

How do you actually fail against the dog :psyduck:

The Beast early on was savage. I believe they fixed things about it by the Enhanced edition and smoothed out the difficulty curve a bit.

The first Witcher was all about making sure you had a good save handy so you could do a fight, lose, and then reload and apply all the oils and poo poo before the fight.

I bounced hard off Witcher 2 though, not sure why. The starting area was difficult for no good reason, and I fought that stupid bug queen too many times. Eventually I just saturated the area with traps and as soon as it ran at me it triggered 30 traps at once and died.

Witcher 3 is good, but I have a hard time really getting into it. When I play it I have a good time, its just it demands so much time.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

Played through the Dead Rising 4 epilogue, "Frank Rising" and man it was disappointing. Mainly because the main gameplay mechanic is super boring when you don't have any weapons and can't use any vehicles.

Also are there alternate endings or something because the ending I got was a real downer but also bizarrely incomplete? There was no dialog and no reaction to anything that was happening.

Seems fitting for how generally disappointing Dead Rising 4 turned out.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

Shin Megami Tensei IV's balance is poo poo gently caress sideways. With a few choices you can be fusing and summoning demons way stronger than yourself with end-game skills which sounds really broken. But then it's all kind of pointless when thanks to the ~amazing~ smirk ability a single surprise attack can mean an enemy gets a critical attack, gets the smirk status which makes them invincible to harm, more likely to crit and do more damage, and just chain crits or be invincible for every turn until your whole team is slowly pecked to death. You'd think the ability to attack enemies first on the map would stop that, but nearly every quest in the game just gives the enemy a free round on you solely because gently caress you. Even the ones where you have to escort an NPC through a boss fight. Sure, Atlus. Make me carry a useless NPC through a fight and also give the boss a free surprise round where they can use all of their actions to directly attack the NPC, crit and get more actions and if the NPC isn't already dead after that, possibly be invincible for my first turn. There is no defense stat in this game. So a dude who can hit for 50 damage in the first floor of the first dungeon, will always be hitting you for 50 damage.

Also it really sucks that they decided to untie MP and HP gains from other stats, because this means half the good demons in the game are stuck with a cripplingly low amount of MP. I'd sure love to cast more spells, but this guy barely has 100MP and there's no way to increase it outside of grinding a few hundred battles.

I think its reasons like this that make so I've always bounced off SMT despite really liking Persona. There is just an added layer of gently caress you in the game that I've never felt was needed. Its a series that can already have an enemy party one turn your party with a few lucky crits or an unexpected Mudo/Hama.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

SkeletonHero posted:

For something dragging down a more recent game, I kind of hate that Farcry 5 lets you put a silencer on drat near anything. What purpose does having a bow serve when I can silence my sniper rifle, or better yet slap a silencer and scope on a light machine gun so I now have a perfect all-purpose weapon equally capable of both stealthily clearing out an outpost and shooting down an attack plane? I thought it was funny at first, but literally the only reason to use anything else is to fill out challenges for perk points.

The weapon balance in FC5 is kind of a mess from the start. The first rifle you get is good enough for the entire game. Its easy to find the sniper version really early as well. You can get a SMG to replace the pistol rightaway, which makes attacking from cars easy.
There are two handed SMGs, but why you would carry them is a mystery since a rifle does the work better. Shotguns are alright, but you start with a good one unlocked from the start, and it takes awhile to unlock the double barrel version.

Only reason I'm using the bow is that I've gone through FC3 and 4 using the bow, and I'm sticking to it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Triarii posted:

The weapon situation is just baffling, to the point that I don't even understand how it's possible to mess things up so badly. Like, the primary-slot SMGs are, in order of unlocking:
- An MP5 which is a downgrade from the assault rifle you get in the tutorial intro
- An MP40 which is a downgrade from the MP5 in every way
- A silenced MP5 that is otherwise identical. (You can attach a silencer to the regular MP5.)

It's like making a Doom game and accidentally placing the shotgun halfway through the game, after you already have the super shotgun and rocket launcher. Except this should be even easier to fix because they're just unlocks in a menu!

Only the sniper rifle progression kinda makes sense, and even then it starts off wrong. The first weapon is the basic assault rifle, but with a scope and single shot firing. The next is a basic bolt action rifle. Then there is a bolt action (I assume) .50 cal rifle, then a semi-auto .50. That at least kinda makes sense.
Then the regular rifle progression: starter assault rifle, the next unlock is a lever action .45/70, the next is a M14. Then its another .45/70 and M14, but they look different? Then an AK.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Sunswipe posted:

Just sat through the intro to Far Cry 4 (including the ending where you wait 10 minutes), and I don't really want to fight Pagan Min. Guy seems pretty cool, and history tells me that Americans deposing dictators rarely ends well.

There are options late game on how you want to deal with Min.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Just to add to the ugh Ubisoft ugh train, Far Cry 2 does a lot to sabotage itself. Rapidly deteriorating weapons, constant fixing of vehicles, respawning checkpoints everywhere, unfun exploration for money (Diamonds are the currency. And if you want to play around with more than four weapons, guess what you'll be doing!) etc. And then the plot starting off as "Just got here. Already got Malaria" is kinda typical of Ubisoft's garbage writing, but this effects gameplay when trying to shoot someone when your vision blurs and the overwhelming brown of the environments decide to get yellowish-green.

And this really does describe like 80% of the game it's so deprived of content.

My favorite thing with FC2 was how badly every single other human in the game wanted your character dead. I had just driven through a checkpoint and was trying to avoid getting shot at by a car behind me when I drove off the road into the trees. I got out, but kept hearing a car noise from somewhere, but I couldn't see anything. I walk around for a bit and see a NPC car stuck between 2 trees, with the car constantly banging against the front tree. Guy inside was trying to run me down still. Don't know why the AI didn't trigger for him to get out of the car, but FC2 was a bit of mess at times.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

OutOfPrint posted:

I haven't played the game yet, but reading these spoilers wants to make me play it even more. I'm a sucker for any media that takes an abrupt and overwhelming turn completely nixing the entire story. One of my favorite pet ideas is a movie in which the heroic lawyer, walking from the parking garage to the courthouse for the final legal showdown, gets smacked by a bus, and the movie ends on a shot of his case breaking evidence flying gently down a sewer grate.

The problem is in FC5, they were supposed to reveal that information to your over the radio as the game played out. I drove often in the game since I kinda liked listening to the music, and never once heard the the news report.

They could have earned the ending, but didn't since they withheld too much information from the player

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Final Fantasy XIV is probably the only good traditional MMO that came out post World of Warcraft. It looks nice, is easy to play with a controller and generally just works. The class system is neat, since you change whenever you want all on a single character. Although some classes are locked behind hitting certain levels or story milestones. I was enjoying the game, and then hit a brick wall. After you finish the base game, which is called A Realm Reborn, you hit a pile of missions that came out between the base game, and the first expansion Heavensward. These were originally released in groups over a few months, none of the missions were very good, and involved a lot of travel where you would go to a place, do a short event, and have to go all the way back. You had to do all these missions, there was no skipping them or outleveling them.

I know they had to setup the next expansion and get things in order, but dear god was it a boring slog. I think was just so used to WoW where as soon as new content comes out they push you to the new content as soon as they can. By the time I got to the Heavensward area, I didn't want to bother anymore. Real bummer considering how well that game starts.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

PubicMice posted:

Why do people play this game? It sounds real loving bad.

Because it has loot.

The real bummer with Destiny is the actual feel of the shooting and movement work really well. Aside from the really floaty jumps with some classes. It’s just they can’t avoid putting a bad loot shooter to distract from all that.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

FutureCop posted:

The Borderlands series was a bit of a rough one. It's probably already been said before, but the two things that stuck out to me the most were:

1) Most of the guns you found were pretty much trash: there were only a few archetypes and manufacturers that were worth it. This can be alright sometimes, as it makes the good ones shine brighter, but the most unfortunate part of this was that the guns that were worth it were mostly generic guns you'd see in any other game. Meanwhile, the small amount of guns that had unique, interesting quirks, like the first gun you get, TK's Big Wave or whatever, which fired a spread of sinusoidal-arcing buckshot, were garbage. It's funny because they lead with a wacky gun like that, so you think it'll keep it up, but it falls flat and doesn't recover after all: just generic guns onwards. So much for the advertising that promised a million unique gun variants.

2) A cool thing you could do before Borderlands came out was to go to their website and view the skill trees. It was fun to plan out your build, and while the early Borderlands were mostly trees filled with boring %-up passives, they started to get interesting game-changing abilities in the later ones. Too bad those interesting abilities were at the bottom of a tree, and you won't even reach that far on your first playthrough! Heck, you don't even get your first actual ability until level 5, if I remember, so you're just shooting boring guns until then. Too many games don't let you actually play with a full-skill build until the final boss, where it's too late to have any fun with it: Borderlands was the worst of this example.

Like people say, the Borderlands games are best played with a cheat engine so you can actually play with interesting guns and a unique skill build, which even then it barely had.

One of the things Borderlands really needed was more then one active ability. Once you got your main character skill that was kinda it. Most everything else was small number changes. Nothing like leveling and getting something like +%2 to reload speed.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

that post was dumb as all hell but Lonesome Road definitely wanted us to believe Ulysses had a point and definitely wasn't well-written enough to make that pass muster

It was like they wanted you to feel guilty of your actions, except he was blaming you for something that happened before the game started and you in no way were responsible for anyway.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I started playing The Division again for some reason. I'd picked up not long after it came out for cheap, but it didn't grab me so I shelved it. I went back to it since I've heard it fixed a lot of things and was having a good time in the game. Then I ran into the last 1/4 or so of the game, and the difficulty goes through a huge spike. I get they planned it as MP game, but the game went from being a fun challenge to a vertical wall of gently caress you in one zone. I was kinda interested in seeing where the game was going, but after dying multiple times while trying to walk past a submission, I'm done.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't want to tempt fate or anything, but I'm 11 hours into Dark Souls 2: SOTS and it's... too easy? Admittedly I'm coming into it after Demon's Souls, DS1 and Bloodborne but I'm taking out practically every boss on my first attempt which doesn't feel right at all. I haven't even died that much.

I think SOFS is easier then regular DS2. What really made Dark Souls 2 vanilla hard for me was how almost every boss was resistant to anything but bludgeoning weapons like clubs/maces. SOFS seemed to fix that.

CitizenKain has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Aug 30, 2018

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

HAmbONE posted:

So my friend bought me No Man's Sky on XBox, it wasn't even on sale. He just wanted to play with someone. I had no interest in playing it after reading the old threads back when it came out, I had heard there was a major update but still had no interest.

gently caress the UI. gently caress having to hold X to select everything, gently caress the menus where your cursor always starts away from any selection choices, gently caress the missions menu, gently caress having to have a mission selected to see important details instead of putting that in the mission list, gently caress the time menus and general interactions take, gently caress mining costing resources, gently caress several minute travel times, gently caress loading and transport screens that make me sick, gently caress the base building interface

And gently caress the inventory management which is 90% of this game

I don't understand how they can fix so much with the game, but still someone looks at the UI and goes "yes, this is fine". They found a way to make everything about it a chore.
Inventory management feels even worse. You never really get ahead of it. At first you are dealing with a few resources on your suit, then you get a ship and now the amount of resources has tripled, but your inventory only doubled. After upgrading both a bit, I then got a freighter. Surely a mammoth ship that is designed to carry hundreds of tons of cargo will help, nevermind it has 16 slots. Cool, my huge ship has less inventory then my suit.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Leavemywife posted:

I'm liking Dragon Quest XI, but from what I'd read and heard about it, it was supposed to be an extremely great RPG, but it's... Good, but I wouldn't take it farther than that. I'd heard about the charming world, but I'm not particularly enamored with any of these characters; they feel a bit like character archetypes that were checked off a list, and I'm not even sure how I'd describe their personalities.

I'm not really giving a poo poo about the story or what's going on. I'm in Gondolia (Italyville), so maybe the story will ramp up soon, but I don't feel any real urgency or reason to care that I'm the Luminary and I've gotta fight the Dark One.

Combat is a little too slow for me, and it feels like there's not enough of a variety of monsters in the various areas. And my healer lady doesn't have a multi-heal spell yet.

Despite what I've said, I do like the game. I'm having fun, but I think this will be a game I beat once, then never touch again.

Like most DQ games, it picks up once the world opens some more. The one thing with the game I don't like is having more party members then party slots. I generally find a party I like early on and will stick with that from there. A magic user isn't useful when every character has AOE spells and abilities, so why take Veronica?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Tbh I never did figure out what the little yellow light next to your bullets meant.

I think it means you are at your bullet capacity and any further bullets get sent to storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Bit of a sequel, I think I figured out why I eventually dropped Dungeons 3: the ratio between units and your investment is all out of whack.

Since half the game's mechanics are based on it, take Dungeon Keeper. Now imagine you have to buy every unit, and every unit's bed takes up four squares instead of one, so you're getting about half the units you'd otherwise have*. Are half-the-units-you-have twice as strong as you figure? Nope, they are your basic mainline troop, and in a 1-to-1 fight with enemy units they'll get pasted as you'd expect. You have healers, but that requires a resource you have to get in the overworld (where your troops got pasted) to research them, and then they require their own two-by-two beds which means you need more space and more gold and another population upgrade and every map is dotted with way too much undiggable rock and aaaaaaaugh you're so charming why must you be so annoying.

* Which you only have pop space for because you bought an upgrade to your population limits... or two.

I've been working through Dungeons 2, and its weird how the game really doesn't give you a lot of missions to defend and setup traps. Its way easier to just slow them down a little and hit the horde spell. Anyone that dies is brought back to life in a bit. Also I'm not sure who thought the above-ground missions were a good idea, because they aren't.