Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
The talk about awkward walk speeds reminds me of something that I see in countless games: being forced to stand still to avoid missing or accidentally skipping dialogue. When, for example, a couple of characters start chatting when the player enters a hallway entering a hallway, but opening the door at the end throws up a loading screen that cuts it off. The only way to hear all of the dialogue is to just come to a stop (or walk excruciatingly slowly) any time anybody starts talking about anything.

This is especially bad in any game that uses audiologs, but I hate those things anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
The main thing that really dragged down Skyrim for me was the dragons. They were just awful to fight.

I remember when the first details of the game were being announced and they started hyping up dragons, my first thought was that they would not work with the combat system in these games, and would have to devolve into taking potshots at them until they politely landed in front of you so that you could hit them with your sword for awhile. I figured they'd have to do something to make them more engaging than that, but that's all they ended up being in the end.

The gates in Oblivion were bad too, but at least you could just ignore those when they popped up while you were roaming the countryside.

Really though, the biggest problem with Skyrim was that it came out after New Vegas, which was a far superior game done in the same style.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Kaubocks posted:

I made it out of Saudi Arabia last night, at least.

Still plan on sticking with it but I can see where the kinda mediocre critic reviews came from.
If it makes you feel better, it's universally agreed that the game improves quite a bit after Saudi Arabia. The locales get much more interesting, there are a lot more non-combat missions, and you'll get to start experiencing the extensive choice & consequence system that makes the fans of the game love it so much (myself included).

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Chard posted:

One thing that bugged me about New Vegas and really any other game with competing factions is that they're all perfectly psychic. If I get the drop on a completely unawares soldier and take him out with a single headshot and he has no buddies for miles, I should not take a reputation hit. If there's two or whatever I can write that off as a radio transmission but not one clueless guy who died before he heard the rifle fire. I'm an invisible spirit of wrath dammit, let me play like one.
Mercenaries 2 had a faction system where members of a faction would try to radio in if you started attacking them, and you would only take a repuation hit if they finished the message before you killed them. It was a little silly though, as they would ID you pretty much immediately and then ramble on for fifteen seconds.

"We're getting attacked by the mercenary! Yeah, the mercenary that Sedano hired! Yeah, he's here and he's killing all of us! Send rein-*urk*"

Apparently the command center couldn't figure out who was attacking them without that last sentence being finished.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I've played all the mainline Assassin's Creed games, (except Unity, don't have a PS4 or XBone) and the modern day plot is becoming more and more irrelevant. Even if I were into it at first it's been ruined by the current day sections being so boring compared to the rest of the game.

Also Ubisoft need to give up on trying to write "snarky" characters. They're always annoying. In AC:Rogue your handler refers to you solely as knucklehead the entire game and (ending spoiler) I was severely disappointed that you didn't get to murder her at the end.
Prepare to get annoyed if you ever play Unity, because there's a handler in that game who only refers to you as "pisspot". And he refers to you a lot.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

muscles like this? posted:

The worst is actually Prince of Persia 08, where the original ending has the main character letting the bad guy win in order to save the princess and the game just kind of ending with that. Then they released DLC which actually gave the game a real ending.
The DLC is in no way a real ending. It's just the characters talking about what happened in the original ending for an hour while fighting the same enemies you fought in the main game and then abruptly ends with a hook to a sequel that will never come. The game is much stronger as it was originally released without the epilogue DLC

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Alhazred posted:

The contests you have to go through in order to win the golden mask in AssCreed II was pretty bad though. Especially since you don't get it after winning and have to steal it anyways.
Yeah, I've played through that game 3 or 4 times, and have never once been able to beat the capture the flag contest legitimately. The only way I've ever been able to outrun the other guy is by just jumping off the roof, absorbing the fall damage, snorting some medicine, and grabbing the flag.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

So wait, if I die against the Empire in X-Wing my character is captured and I can never use that save game again?

God drat game you are kinda fun but you are a harsh loving mistress.
You can keep playing if you die or get captured. You have to click a button to revive yourself on the profile menu, and all that does is reset your score, which doesn't have any relevance to the gameplay. You don't lose any progress.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

SubNat posted:

Let's play a game of
Will start skip this cutscene, or let me pause it?
or
Will skipping this line of dialogue skip the line of dialogue, or inexplicably cut like 5 minutes of cutscene as well?
Reminds me of the first time I played Mass Effect 2. Reload & skip cutscene are bound to the same button.

Queue me reloading by muscle memory right after landing the last hit on the final boss and skipping part of the ending.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

muscles like this! posted:

The worst game for subtitles was Ghost Recon Breakpoint where when first starting the game they drop you right into the story and aren't given the chance to mess with options
It's always awful when a game does this. When a game is started it should always go straight to the menu with full access to the options, no exceptions. It's especially bad when they throw you into gameplay before giving you the menu, but even a cutscene is annoying, whether it's prerendered or not.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Philippe posted:

Also my choice for superfluous mechanic is running stamina. If there's no way to upgrade it (like in RDR2 or Skyrim) it doesn't need to be there. Just let me run as much as I want, thanks.
Especially if they start playing an out-of-breath sound clip every time your stamina runs out (or, even worse, as soon as you start sprinting).

90% of the time it's the one that I always associate with this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRV7JrmY_To

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Leal posted:

There was a game on the 360 who had an achievement locked behind being number 1 on the multiplayer leaderboard. Have fun getting a platinum on that one.
I'm pretty sure that was one of the Ghost Recon games released really early in the 360's lifespan.

https://www.xboxachievements.com/game/ghost-recon-aw/achievements/

After looking it up, there are three separate achievements for being 1st on the solo leaderboard, team leaderboard, and universal leaderboard. Have fun getting 100% on that one!

Edit: and of course, someone wrote a guide for getting the achievement, which contains this incredible line (emphasis mine):

quote:

If you wish to get universal you will need 3-4 friends with 4 accounts each. You will need alot of co-ordination to get there, but it is worth it.

Jokymi has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Mar 10, 2022

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I'm near the end of the recently released Plague Tale Requiem. It's a fantastic sequel, and I would highly recommend it, but there have been a few mandatory combat segments where you're forced to take on waves of enemies that I've found overly frustrating and they don't really fit into the game as a whole.

It's a stealth game that does a really good job of making you feel weak and the options you have for actually killing enemies tend to be very limited resources that take a long time to find replacements for. Every time one of those combat sections comes up I feel like I'm basically forced to use everything I have, which is never enough, so I spend the rest of the time running around in circles trying to get enemies to walk near traps that can be activated to kill them, which makes the whole thing feel kind of artificial.

I don't remember sequences like that being in the original game, and I'm not sure why they felt they had to do it multiple times in this one. The first time it happened I didn't mind it, since most of the enemies could be killed with your unlimited ammo sling and it fit into the story well, but every one since has felt tacked on and took me way too many attempts to get through.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Read After Burning posted:

The main game of Power Wash Simulator is incredibly satisfying and relaxing. Take your time cleaning off grimy poo poo and admire the shiny clean thing at the end.

...Challenge mode, obviously, is the opposite of this, where you have to clean the thing either in X amount of time or Y amount of water (speed vs precision).

I wouldn't bother, but there's two achievements locked behind it and they're taunting me. :argh:
I just got those a few days ago. The backyard and bungalow time challenges are both really easy, I beat both with over five minutes to spare. The rest I got by just doing the time challenges for the smaller vehicles, repeating them a few times until I got lucky.

Read After Burning posted:

95%, but yeah. Apparently the level recommended for this is the giant hand statue in the desert, as the individual pieces are so big.
I found that one pretty easy to get with the van, and I did it at the same time as the achievement that only lets you use the red nozzle. Clean most of the big parts like the body, doors, and windows and you can get to 95% pretty quickly without having to worry about accidently cleaning one of the smaller pieces.

I've 100%ed the achievements in that game twice, once on Game Pass and once on Steam, and I'm excited that the DLC coming out next week is adding some more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Really enjoying Baldur's Gate III so far, but there are a couple of things that are bothering me.

First of all, it's insane that there isn't a party selection screen. Every time you want to change your party, you have to go to your camp, talk to someone who is in your current party and ask them to leave (at which point they'll always give you a little guilt trip), then walk over to the person you want to add and ask them to join you. It's way too many unnecessary steps, especially if you want to swap around multiple companions to level them up or swap out equipped weapons.

Second, I really don't like the way that conversations don't just default to the party leader. It works fine for manually initiated conversations, but it really annoys me when an interaction gets triggered automatically by an NPC or by walking into an area and it just uses whichever character happens to be closest at the moment, especially since you can't change it mid conversation. There have been multiple times already where I've reloaded a save so that I don't have to go through an important conversation with Lae'zel or Gale taking the lead instead of my PC. I'd really prefer a setting to either set a default character or the ability to choose who to use at the start of an interaction.