Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
It's crazy how good the wiimote controls were for Mario Galaxy, it truly felt like you could go exactly where you want to go in every which way
Now I'm playing Mario 3d world and the controls are pretty drat sucky, like worse then mario 64, what the heck?!? it's not very good :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

I've seen a lot of people bitching about Witcher 3 on the forums but I'm really digging it, my favorite part of the serie has always been the "gothic medieval horror" theme and it's hitting it out of the park and I'm only level 8. It's soooo much better then W2 which had a lot of issues and felt like a budget xbox game at time.

But the skill system is so bad, why so few slots for skills??? There's about a 100 interesting skills you can learn but you can only slot less then a handful at a time. I'm going to mod it up because that is so drat boring, I want a shitload of cool skills at the same time if I can!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

The Shame Boy posted:

I'm currently playing through Witcher 3 as sombody that played a bit of Witcher 2 but never 1, i am way more attached to Triss than i am Yennifer. Like i know Geralt and Yennifer supposedly have a past and all but i went to Skelleige and good GOD can you make Geralt the most clingy, desperate,lovey dubey dude of all time if you pick those dialog options. Like some of the ones that tell her how pretty she is or how nice she smells kinda come out of nowhere sometimes. I know he's kinda been looking for her a long time and all but considering all the other options you can take, even with some of the other sorceresses in the game. It just kinda sticks out you know?

Same, I found it really weird and jarring how he becomes an excited puppy around her. It ends up making sense when you learn about the spell later. When it's dispelled, you can turn her down and become normal again, which I was happy to do because she's annoying as heck. I'm on team Shani anyway.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

playing red faction guerilla remarstered (stupid-rear end name) and it's reminding me how ridiculously overtuned the timed side-missions are

there's one that makes you drive a vehicle clear from one end of the map to the other with maybe a fifteen-second grace period, if you spin out once then you're hosed. and that's very likely, since every car in that game handles like an inflatable shopping cart

That's EXACTLY where I stopped playing a few months ago, gently caress that mission
If you find a cheat to skip that let me know, I loving hate racing missions in non-racing games they always suck rear end

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Dying Light is really fun and the first person parkour is surprisingly good but why is sprint using L3 as a toggle??? It's dumb as hell and hard to get right!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

The only issue I had with Dying Light is the "begin sprint" button is L3, which is hard to press and jump when you're on a tiny ledge, which happens super often. Otherwise what a great game! I was very surprised how great first person parkour worked, I got legit vertigo in some antenna levels.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

thetoughestbean posted:

The card game in Bravely Default 2 has you beat an opponent way too many times to get all of their cards. I don’t want to beat this guy five times to get a sixty point card that I will probably never use

Ohh poo poo it's out?
How is it? Loved the first one but the semi-sequel went hardcore full anime and I dropped it like a hot turd.
I can't handle another betrayal. I just want retro jRPGs without the anime cancer destroying everything.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Spek posted:

I'm mostly enjoying Bravely Default but the titular mechanic seems really kinda lame and uninteresting. For anyone who doesn't know it's a basic turn based RPG where you can Default to defend and store an extra turn, or Brave to spend a banked turn (or go into turn debt) in order to take multiple turns this round. It kinda seems interesting on paper but in practise it mostly just means every random battle is just going into massive turn debt on round 1 to kill everyone/most of the enemies. And every boss fight is Default until the enemy goes into turn debt or you hit the max amount of banked turns then spam out and repeat. Doing almost anything else on a boss fight pretty much guarantees a wipe on any turn the boss randomly decides to take a double turn.

Also turn order is random and that's always dumb. Sure it's influenced by speed but, at low levels at least, the difference between the various characters speeds is small enough that I can never really know what order my characters, let alone the enemies, will take their turns in and it's often important. It's baffling since the game clearly takes so much from Final Fantasy Tactics which has an absolutely beautiful turn order resolution mechanic and this, and for that matter most turn based RPGs, would do well to steal it.

I thought pretty much the same for 1 but it never ended up being too hard so I didn't care but BD2 doubled-down on this and made the bosses hard as hell and the enemies give almost no exp even on casual. The bosses all got a little more gently caress-you hard for no "fun" pay-off. At least in SMT if the bosses are too hard, I have a lot of tools to re-orient my strategy and if I seek super tough monsters I'll level up quickly.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Phigs posted:

They changed Cuno's voice. That's certainly a decision. It's the main voice that sticks into my head. It's the one voice I wouldn't change if I could only spare one from being changed.

Cuno changes his voice when Cuno feels like it pig! If you can't handle Cuno's new poo poo, gently caress does Cuno care?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

For BD2 the proper way to grind is to go to an area where you can one-shot everything (Body Slam with BP-Subjob-Saver is great for this) and use the monster attracting items to chain battles, you'll level up in no time and get a shitload of rare drops like booster buns.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, the problem isn't that I don't know how to grind. It's that I don't want to, and in the previous Bravely games never had to, but apparently I have to in BD2 because the intended XP curve is nowhere near what I've been doing.

I only had to actively grind for Bernard, for some reason they made him tough as hell and a major roadblock. Well the thief job is super OP as well so it makes sense.

But to answer your question: you should always fight everything that isn't running away from you, that should be enough.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

The only ethical thing to do in the Mojave is to super-sledge in the face/balls all the factions until there's no one standing.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Greedily scarfing down entire raw snakes to survive made MGS3 all the better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5ygu_18N8

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

The Sinking City is another game where the combat felt shoehorned in and in my opinion ruined the vibe of the game. The whole thing about a city falling into dissolution is more interesting if there aren't active monsters running around.

Also the combat wasn't fun.

As soon as I was attacked by a small bouncing goblin that was almost impossible to hit, looked like a melted chihuahua and had broken AI I uninstalled the game. why does every Chtulu game HAVE to suck

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Is it me or does Archvale become insanely difficult after the second zone? I was having a blast but now I'm getting destroyed so bad by random mobs.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

Getting eaten by a mimic in Sen’s might annoy you for a minute or two but being teleported to Selia Crystal dungeon at like level 10 will ruin your whole day.

Lol

It was probably my favorite part of the entire experience so far, riding around Caelid looting everything that's available and running away from everything, wondering where the hell you've waken up to like a bad one night stand. I even found some ways to use the environnement and in-fighting to kill and loot enemies way above my level and level up a bunch. It was so fun.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

I always turn off:

Chromatic Abberation
Motion Blur
Depht of field
Bloom

poo poo's ugly as hell and makes everything look bad.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I'm personally just fine with JRPGs being the one holdout of save points, because they're also one of the few genres where you could genuinely gently caress yourself over by saving in a bad position. I know I've done that myself; you save deep in a dungeon only to realize that you don't have enough resources to fight your way through or out.

That's why if you can't save anywhere you should always respawn at the inn with half gold OR get unlimited retries. Game overs suck absolute poo poo in RPGs.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

I've noticed some games have started using chromatic abberation tastefully, notably to show something magical or hosed up is going on. It actually looks good when done properly!

Octopath 1 and 2 use a lot of depth of field effects and manages to make it look good. I think it's the only games I didn't want to immediatly turn it off.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

AW2. The Saga chapters are chaping my balls, she's so weak and the weapons are terrible. Easy mode helps with this. The pace is awful as you're running around barely lit areas hunting boring loot that you'll have to use to kill the bad guys guarding them anyway so it's useless. Also safe areas should fully heal you, that's just cheap.

Alan's chapters though just EXPLODE my balls off, they are just the best! It's Sam Lake at its absolute top. It's all been leading up to this. Kinda reminds me of The Dark Tower and its subtle references hidden all througout King's oeuvre.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Walton Simons posted:

Darkest Dungeon has provided some of the most thrilling gameplay I've had in ages and really satisfying victories after devastating defeats, genuine leaping up in celebration when finishing off a tough boss. I'm calling it now, though. You need to beat four quests in the titular Darkest Dungeon. Fine, but win or lose, all characters you picked for that mission will refuse to ever go back. So you have to grind up new ones, which is no longer any kind of challenge since the experience, money and trinkets makes any dungeon other than the Darkest Dungeon very easy. Oh well, I had fun, I guess.

There's an accessibility setting to remove that limitation I believe, but honestly if you got there you can say you've won the game, congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

I'm glad that absolutely no other game followed in HK's map style. Feels like the dev team had a serious grudge against quest arrows and overshot way too far.