Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin and while the game is great and a lot of fun there are a few things that bother the hell out of me.

1. Keys aren't shared between characters. If you happen to pick up a random key on your mage but are controlling your warrior at the time the door/chest won't open.
2. Inventory management is atrocious. There is just so much wrong with it that I don't know where to start. I understand they want to keep them separate between characters because of the online component but maybe just combine them for single player or have your controlled characters contribute to your overall carrying capacity.
3. Speaking to animals. While great in theory having to chase around a moving pixel that actively runs away from you loving sucks.

Beyond that though, the game is a blast to play and pulling off awesome telefragging/poison cloud/explosion combos never get's old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

Seconding that the inventory management is terrible. I'd also like to be able to sort, y'know, alphabetically too. Sorting by item groups would be neat as well, instead of having to navigate tabs. And while it's not a drag per se, I wish there were more than two available companions. Larian does a pretty good job with off-beat characters, so I'd have liked to see more classes being represented with actual personalities, as opposed to having to hench rogues and earth/fire wizards and whatnot.

I wish I didn't have to do the lovely personal conversation between your two characters. I have yet to figure out what it's supposed to accomplish but it's always:

Player 1
Option 1 - Agree
Option 2 - Disagree

Player 2
Option 1 - Agree with Player 1
Option 2 - Disagree with Player 1

And occasionally I'll see a +1 to Altruism float above my head but I'll be damned if I know what that'll get me.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

Go to your character sheet screen. You'll see personality traits and the bonuses they give you if you hover over them, and you may want different ones on each character. Obedient, for example, gives you a bonus if you're influenced by Leadership, whereas Independent just gives you bonuses. So you want your character with Leadership to have Independent, while the other one should be Obedient. I think Spiritual/Materialistic is another one that should be split too.

And I take it we have to guess which speech options gives what yeah? Hopefully they are clear enough to interpret.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jivesauce posted:

This is all true and I agree, but the reason they do this is if the NPC moves at your run speed you can't catch up if you fall behind, but if it moves at your walk speed people feel like it is way too painfully slow (see the WoW post above), so they try to shoot for the middle to make it go as fast as it can but still allow you to make up ground. It makes for a super-awkward movement style if you're just walking along next to the NPC though.

Or, I don't know, maybe have it tethered directly to you. Rubber Band like.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

The kicker of the tow truck missions: You get the ability to buy the tow truck company... just so you can continue to tow even MORE cars :haw:

Most of the missions in GTA 5 really were like "Oh you want to get paid? Well gently caress you" and you sit there not really doing much until one of the 2 paying heists actually happen. Or you abuse the stock system and the assassination missions.

What bothered me the most is you couldn't buy all the properties at the end of the game unless you grind for days, or invested all your money correctly at the right times.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I for the life of me can't find an official wired controller anywhere near me at that price, or a decent third party one. My current third party one probably has the worst d-pad in the history of d-pads, and the sticks aren't much better.

I pretty much just use a PS2 controller and a Super Joy Box 3 Pro for everything.

http://www.amazon.com/Wired-USB-Con...ired+controller

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mackers posted:

Yeah Sleeping Dogs was my thing dragging GTA5 down.

Bought GTA on release day despite myself, got suckered by the hype machine I guess :(

Biggest problem was having played Sleeping Dogs not too long before. GTA5 was fuckin intolerably poo poo in comparison. Almost everything GTA did, Sleeping Dogs did 10 times better (and looked better). I couldn't live without the slow-mo when shooting from cars etc. It felt like I had gone from playing a current-gen game to one from the PS2 era.

And why in fucks name does it take Blizzard so long to release patches for Diablo 3? Some nice changes coming that might tempt me back into the game for a while and they take MONTHS to just release the loving patch with some improved numbers on things. Blizzard are also seemingly loving terrified of the notion that monks do respectable damage, approaching buffing the monk class like they are disarming a nuke, meanwhile crusaders get set bonuses and relentless buffs that make them do absurd DPS because they are the poster-boy of the expansion.

And holy poo poo make some new loving maps for rifts how hard could it be

I'm pretty sure they have no idea what they want to do with the monks. They should just remove them from the game and bring in a Druid or something so they can just start from scratch. They want to maintain the "feel" of the class but there is no feel anymore. It's just gimmick builds/abusive mechanics. Which is loving required because that's what it takes for the class to be competitive with every one else.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Yes and yes. I don't understand why anyone would say no to this, assuming that the robo-arms are superior to normal arms. In Human Revolution there's the issue of being dependent on that drug, and that would certainly be something that could make the robo-arms inferior to regular arms, but if you're like Adam and don't need it? Robo-everything. Give yourself super powers. What's the down side?

Crushing kitten skulls when you try to pet them?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

Being immune to infection, cancer and all other diseases, and even things like muscle cramps would be pretty sweet, though.

Yeah, instead you get malware on your arm.

"Would you like to install Ask Jeeves onto your arm?"

"No Damnit, just pet this kitten without crushing it"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Celery Face posted:

Turok Evolution: Holy poo poo, this game sucks. I liked it because it was the first M-rated game I ever played and 8 year old me was obsessed with dinosaurs but it is just so bad. It feels like it got released halfway through development, the graphics are horrible even for 2002 (the big dinosaurs don't even have eyes), more dinosaurs instead of lizardmen would have been cool, I only played it with cheats because it was so hard, the flying levels are terribly designed, the story makes no sense and the voice acting is crappy. The soundtrack is pretty cool though.

I remember Turok 64 having fog of war so bad you couldn't see further than 10 ft. It was horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyfIdDERnqU&t=296s

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Judge Tesla posted:

To be fair, if every boss in Diablo 3 had a loot table like in WoW, people would very quickly be done with the game, like other dungeon crawlers, Diablo relies upon random drops to keep people hooked, and even when legendaries do drop, you have to cross your fingers that it's any good to start with. :v:

And really the gambling system has really trivialized the "randomness" of the game. Sure there are some highly sought after items but with 1-2 hours of play a night at most I've got 4 characters in their full T6 capable gear.

The gear grind is also severely reduced if you're running with a party. I'm pretty sure I've giving other DH's full pieces of M6 over the course of a few hours.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

Diablo 2 worked liked that and it's not like people didn't log a billion hours into that game.

D2 didn't exactly have loot tables but certain mobs and smaller ones based on their levels. You could farm pindleskin for days and not see the item you wanted even though he had a better chance to drop it.

Also, ZOD runes.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

Oh god no why did you have to remind me. :can:

I think blizzard realized they needed bots in that game to make it last. Was probably more work to change drop rates than it was to just ban wave thousands of bots then sell thousands of more CD keys for $5 a pop.

All in all a good business model.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

And now I've encountered the worst example of this. I was a vampire, and it was pretty irritating, so I went to get cured. Finding the quest was easy enough, it seems like it's set up to just have someone tell you about it at the earliest opportunity after you become a vampire, so I found the dude and got a black soul gem from him, went and filled it, then came back. But it was night and he was in his house. So I used the "wait" function to get to morning, then hung around for a few minutes but he didn't come out.

I spent the next twenty minutes or so using the "wait" function to skip forward an hour then sitting there hoping he'd come out of his house, but he never did. I looked for a solution on the internet and found a site that said he usually comes outside at 3am. So I used the wait function to get to 2:30, then sat there while the in-game time went all the way to 4am. Nothing. He still won't come out.

So I found a console command to teleport him to me, which solved that problem, and he tells me to meet him somewhere at dawn. I knew that the sun started burning me at 5am, so I went to the place and waited for 5am. He doesn't show up. Apparently when he said "dawn" he meant 7am, because at that time I saw him approaching, but he got attacked by a mudcrab and was stuck in the swamp.

So I killed the mudcrab and he got up, but wasn't moving any more. I managed to unstick him by talking to him, but since he wasn't quite at the right place yet the option to do the cure wasn't available, so I went back over to the circle. He started to follow but just stopped for no apparent reason and just stood a little way off, so I had to use the console again to teleport him the last two meters so he'd actually do what he was supposed to. :argh:

At that point I feel like just removing the vamp sickness via console commands would have been easier. (assuming you could).

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rick_Hunter posted:

Wow, reading all of this about Skyrim makes me glad I never opened it when I got 2 years ago. :v:

As much as people may complain about the game personally I've lost 300+ hours into it and go back roughly once a year to play it again.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Skyrim is a fun but deeply flawed game. At its core, it's a really great world to explore and wander around and there is a ton of poo poo to do, even if most of it is banal.

The game is so massive I'm surprised it's not even more buggy that it is. If you just roam the wilds randomly you'll find poo poo that 99% of the populace would never find.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hannibal Smith posted:

The main thing that really dragged down Skyrim for me was the dragons. They were just awful to fight.

I remember when the first details of the game were being announced and they started hyping up dragons, my first thought was that they would not work with the combat system in these games, and would have to devolve into taking potshots at them until they politely landed in front of you so that you could hit them with your sword for awhile. I figured they'd have to do something to make them more engaging than that, but that's all they ended up being in the end.

The gates in Oblivion were bad too, but at least you could just ignore those when they popped up while you were roaming the countryside.

Really though, the biggest problem with Skyrim was that it came out after New Vegas, which was a far superior game done in the same style.

I figured they could have saved the dragon system if they varied the types of dragons. Give me a cave/underground worm type dragon or something. Imagine walking around and a giant toothy maw just ruptures from a nearby cave and you're now fighting a 40ft snake type dragon.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Goddam I got nothing going on ever in my lifethis weekend, gonna play a shitload of Skyrim.

Seriously the more I talk about it the more I want to install it again.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

I thought that was a problem with all of the new enemy types in 4. They were all ammo sponges that took way too long to kill.

I was going to go back and try to beat the game again. This was the reason why I quit the first time around.

Is it worth just dropping the difficulty so things are wet noodles? or should I just trudge through the sponges.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

LumpyGumby posted:

The cool thing about the Metal Gear Solid series is that the controls change every game....

How is that a cool thing? That poo poo would be infuriating.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Alouicious posted:

below Deposit and Withdraw, there's the Move Pokemon command, that is both functions at once and is essentially how the box should have worked to begin with. Why is it the third option? no fuckin clue

I feel like this is the biggest oversight of the series. For a game that has over 600+ units to collect managing them should be high on the list of desired features.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheSpiritFox posted:

Everyone knows you rotate the control pad clockwise :colbert:

:edit:

In rhythm with the pokeball's wiggles if it's a normal pokemon and as fast as humanly possible if it's a legendary :colbert:

Out of all the "methods" I've heard to increase chances of capturing a pokemon this is the first time I've seen this one.

Up+B for life.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Professor Wayne posted:

I resubbed for the new expansion after a few years off and agree completely. You just wander through zones, demolishing everything in sight. I even tried to go to a higher level zone, and the game straight up wouldn't give me any quests to do. The enemies were literally one level above me. Whatever happened to quests above your level just showing up yellow or red in your quest log? I realize WoW has always been terrible, but holy poo poo.

I resubbed a month ago and was bored after a week. I didn't even get to the new content. I just ended up subbing FFXIV and am having much more fun.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Final Fantasy 14: Trials being in the low level duty roulette. Low level roulette randomly places you in a low level dungeon where someone needs party members and pays out in a nice chunk of xp, also there is a challenge log for doing 3 dungeons. But trials aren't dungeons, and if you're say DPS who was hoping for a dungeon to get all the xp you get from killing things as well as completing both challenge logs for doing 5 dungeons and doing 3 dungeons through the roulette and waited like 30+ minutes in the queue.. and you get loving ifrit. 5 minutes later you're out with a lovely xp payout compared to running a dungeon.

They have an actual trial roulette, why can't these be thrown into there? Or just make trials count for the challenge log? Now I need to sit through another 30+ minutes and hope that I'm not thrown into another trial just to get this challenge log done.

Honestly I love when I get an Ifrit. You get a solid XP bonus for the completion. I know the DPS queues suck but I usually fill the void with Fates/levequests while I wait. This also has the double benefit of triggering those challenge bonuses.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

Back on target, sorta - it's not a game but I really loathe the short battery times on modern handhelds. I travel a ton and it sucks that back in the day I could have thrown a GBA and an eight pack of batteries in my carry on and been set for a month, whereas now my Vita gets 3 hours with the brightness turned down and my 3DS is lucky to hit two and a half.

I remember having to replace my battery on my DS back in the day. It made a huge difference and was pretty cheap to buy.

Also I can't remember but I recall seeing larger battery packs you could buy. Not sure if it applies to your Vita at all though.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Not just postgame, they're like Ruby Weapon in FFVII in that its an optional hard boss fight.

I never cared for Magus Sisters so I always just skip the fight.

And if you think their animation goes on forever, there's always Knights of the Round :cheeky:

I'm pretty sure the only way to beat the Ruby Weapon was cast Knights of the Round for over an hour straight.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's been a while since I've played so I'm not quite sure what this means.

All I remember is going into the fight with 2 of your party members dead, junctioning HP Restore to KotR, targeting the tentacles behind your party member with KOTR and using MIME over and over and over until dead.

Kotr would kill the tentacles, then go back to the Ruby Weapon. You couldn't get 1 shot if you had 9999 HP and KotR would heal you to full. I just put my auto controller on and walked away.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dazers inflict Paralyze, and Ruby WEAPON is vulnerable to paralysis. The tentacles don't act on their own so you're free to beat on Ruby itself. ???? deals damage equal to lost HP and by being fixed, it avoids Ruby's massive defenses.

I mean you can KoTR anyway, if you want. It might be faster.

Ah.

I remember having to read up on how to beat Ruby and that's what I came across. I thought it was funny because the reward for killing him was a gold rose or something that gave you the chocobo that could run on water. It's sole purpose was to get to the island where you got KotR.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spek posted:

Everything mentioned except saving Shadow on the floating continent is hinted towards(and even that is, slightly). You just talk to the various NPCs in town and they give hints to where to collect the various party members, espers, and important items. Even if you don't talk to the NPCs it should become obvious fairly early on that there's a party member, esper, or important piece of loot in just about every enter-able area on the map.

I think the only thing that isn't really hinted towards is how to uncurse the cursed shield. They tell you you can uncurse it but never that I can remember imply you would do so by winning fights while wearing it.

I always considered the Magimaster the closest thing the game has to a superboss. Doomgaze is a pushover unless most of your team's level is a multiple of 5, level 5 death is a stupid ability.

The game could have used some decent superbosses though so the battle system could stretch its legs a bit more. Unfortunately they made the dual mistakes of using 16bits to store enemy hp so no enemy can have more than 65535 health and making it so almost all good attacks ignore defense so a well equipped party can kill anything in at most 7 or 8 attacks. Poor damage/success rate/what-have-you formulas drag down most of the FFs sadly. Only FFX of the numbered games actually did good damage/defense/success rate/etc formulas.

Ebot's Rock is the only dungeon that doesn't have a good reward. Its reward being that the final boss is the only place you can learn Strago's strongest Lore which is just a crappier version of Ultima and almost certainly useless by the time you get it and you need to finagle Hidon to cast it if you want it which is a tedious pain.

I think the idea was the same as they did later with Chrono Trigger where there would be a bunch of sidequests that you don't need to do but you'll probably need to do a fraction of them just for the gear/exp. It might have worked a bit better in CT since it had Gasper to hint to all the side quests rather than needing to talk to every random NPC in every town in the world to find them and since you didn't have to do as many of them to build a game winning party with.

After getting the Airship in the World of Ruin is my favourite part of any JRPG. The aimless wandering trying to figure out what to do and where to go. Trying to guess where they hid my favourite characters so I could go there first. Finding something delightfully unexpected at the end of a dungeon. That was so much fun as a kid. I wish more games would do something like that.

Wasn't there a second Ultima Weapon in Kefka's Castle that you could fight? I always thought that was the super boss. Also the 7 dragons, while not hard still gave you something to hunt down for great gear.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just finished Wolfenstein: The New Order.

The Main character can take a loving beating and keep on going. Like cutscenes where someone drugs you, puts a meat hook in his back and a dagger in his chest and you still manage to rip the dagger out of your chest and stab them.

Then you just get up like nothing happened. He also like to have an internal monologue in the drawn out sections of the game. There's a section where you're swimming through a sewer system and he's talking about how he almost drowned as a kid, swam trenches and then says he's swam through the cesspools of Deathheads dungeons and it wasn't a messy as this sewer. and here I am just swimming around in crystal clear water.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Does the grenade explode fetishistically?

Only in games written by David Cage.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Minor gripe:

I started playing Wolfenstein: The Old blood this morning after finishing The New Order last night.

They changed around the key binds between games so crouch was now on C, and the weapon mods were changed around.

It was a minor thing to change back but I found it funny. I spent the whole first game pressing c to crouch and finally got it down to left CTRL, only to boot up old blood and have it mapped to C.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

That's weird, I thought the plane flying was fine. Just be gentle with the sticks. Tiny adjustments go a long way.

Now, helicopters, they can gently caress right off forever.

I remember having tree pop-in problems on my 360 and it took me a good 4 attempts to do it. Was a really painful mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Alouicious posted:

one of the advertising points of Witcher 3 was Genuine Geralt Dick Glisten

Be sure to turn on NVidia Dickworks though to get the full experience.