Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Finally got around to playing Brutal DooM. Replacing the orbs of invisibility or whatever they're called with NPC allies that will murder half the level's enemies before you even start moving was fun for all of five minutes before realizing they're more trouble than they're worth and rob you of a good chunk of run and gunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Darkest Dungeon's quirk system is the best idea out of the game but is made poo poo by being randomized to the point it's nonsensical. Granted, everything in the game that isn't an aesthetic is randomized. But doing damage between two and twenty isn't nearly as comically stupid as finding the Love Interest (Only use Brothel for stress relief) quirk after killing a bunch of pigmen or getting Bad Gambler (Increased money loss chance when gambling for stress relief) despite never having that character gamble. And all my drat Vestals seem to get the Slugger one (+5% melee damage) even though I never use their melee attack. Most don't even get the ability unlocked.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

The base price on Steam for Prototype is still sixty loving dollars.

I see it for $20. But the Franchise Pack is $60 with a current 75% off until April 17.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Is it worth continuing to Mass Effect 2 after Mass Effect? Cause if it's the same elevators, stupid minigame for a series of skills, dialogue options that never match up to the actual statements, bland worlds with lovely mountains and unfun exploration, among god who knows how many other things, I won't bother.

Plot is alright. A bit generic, but the setting helps propel it along. It just isn't worth putting up with so much bullshit.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I like that Sniper Elite 4 has a good deal of extra content. But it strikes me as poorly thought out. Five bonus conditions for finishing levels means having to replay them two to three times at a minimum to hammer them out, since most of the conditions do not complement each other. And then upgrading weapons means having to slog it through the same content even more to satisfy the requirement. With an additional gently caress you Mastery skin that doesn't start filling out until you completed three previous things for the weapon. And no, none of this poo poo is worth it.

It's the fourth game in the series and the devs still seem to be quite amateur. It's not like this game was such a vast leap beyond the previous two games.

Lead Psychiatry has a new favorite as of 10:16 on Jul 6, 2017

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Action Tortoise posted:

I still feel like I don't have a solid grasp on the bullet drop in the game. I thought the gradations on my scope would help me measure my shots but I think they're purely ornamental.

Yeah I'm a bit confused about it myself. I know muzzle velocity factors in a big way so changing rifles won't help master any of them. But I can't seem to figure out how much velocity equates to flat trajectory over however much distance.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

There's such a laundry list of things wrong with Watch Dogs 2 that it really is hard to choose one or a couple, so I'll just say the thing dragging the game down are Ubisoft themselves. Kudos for making it a slight improvement over the first Watch Dogs. But the emphasis really is on "slight".

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I liked the characters and their interactions and the main story arc was pretty solid and didn't seem like it was heavily revised right before the game's release. But the side missions and their tonal shifts were awful with the worst being The Black Guy Dies and "Lol we put ourselves in the game we're so cool please like us".

Apologies. Put no thought beyond my complaints about the game.

Lead Psychiatry has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Jul 23, 2017

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hey, come on. I'm only now playing it.

My bad. Was more concerned about rolling my eyes at the game than what I was actually saying. Late to do the edit, but still did.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Maybe it's just the fact that I started the Shadow Warrior remake after playing Doom 2016, but SW's weapon switching and sword attacks (Specifically the piss poor ability to handle stringing Ki attacks) is slow and pretty bad. And then has an added rating system that is poorly conveyed and made me have to rely on a Youtube video instead of a dozen mixed answers off Steam and other forums.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wish there was an option to make the sneaking worth a drat in Tale of a Cyborg Barnacle Fister aka SOMA. I learned pretty early on that outside of one spot, crouching is pretty much pointless. I either run everywhere to lure out a monster, or I run up to the monster and take a hit. The game doesn't give a game over screen unless you get hit twice in a short span of time. But after one hit, you awaken a few feet away and the monster is either out of your way completely or a little further away. It's more a slight inconvenience than an obstacle and no longer feels like a game worthy of effort.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I sure hope the System Shock remake removes or tones down the respawning enemies that sometimes pop up right next to you, and make the puzzles less trial and error and more logic based.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

To be fair, the grid puzzles were entirely logic based. Shame they were outnumbered by wiring puzzles, which are prime targets for a logic probe.

As for respawning enemies, there's only a few places where they respawn really aggressively like that (the autobomb maze on deck 9 and perhaps one or two others), and there's generally something you can do elsewhere on the level to disable or tone down the respawning. I hope they don't get rid of respawning enemies entirely, I liked never feeling entirely safe.

The grid puzzles are trial and error also. Since you're going to have to sit there, learn which nodes effect which other nodes, and then just keep clicking away until you finally get it. If the nodes simply effected adjacent ones when clicked, then yeah you could think them through easily. But most of the four or five I've come across on my way to only lvl 5 so far have had nodes effect others on the other side of the grid, skipping other nodes with no rhyme or reason to it. And some of which are attached to three and more others. So it's a lot to have to keep track of without any kind of assistance other than the one color (One puzzle had the nodes be almost the same color as the background. That was fun) and either X or + to mark position.

As for the respawns, the first level has a lot of mutants pop up until security is drastically reduced. Hopperbots keep coming out on the Reactor level (Not entirely sure what I'm missing there) and the invisible mutant glob things on the third level. This is all Enhanced Edition, and my first run through the game. But third restart now that I've said gently caress it and decided to rely more on returning to the Med Pods instead of wasting all the healing items dealing with the respawning bullshit.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Serial Cleaner is a nice lil timewaster but it really needs some kind of indication that a level has been completed. Especially for the Bonus Missions that are film spoofs.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Cythereal posted:

X-Morph is a decently fun combo tower defense/twin stick shooter with the twist that you're playing as the aliens invading Earth and fending off huge waves of human tanks and planes and whatnot. However, after completing the game, I feel the game dropped the ball hard on bosses. Across fourteen levels, there were only four bosses - and one of them was reused in a later level as a pair of minibosses. The bosses that appear are pretty great: a skyscraper-sized spider tank in South Africa (and two later appear in Nigera), a gigantic ultraheavy tank that would make a Baneblade or Mammoth Tank feel inadequate in Germany, a gigantic ekranoplan flying fortress in Russia, and of course a giant battle mech in Japan. But... that's it. The Americans don't scrape together some lunatic superheavy, either in the New York or the Hawaii mission that would be just perfect for some colossal battleship or aircraft carrier. The Chinese don't. The British don't. And so on and so forth.

In a game that's otherwise pretty corny fun, the lack of enemy and map variety in general is lackluster.

My issue is turret placement around bomber paths. Most of the time the placement doesn't appear to be under the path, but it still registers as possibly being hit. So I move it over a few squares or whatever and shift the camera a bit but no, it still registers as likely to be hit.

Made playing the Russia level with the boss an utter loving chore.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I uninstalled Titan Quest today. The whole playthrough just unraveled when I went to compare my defense stats with helms and the helm I was currently wearing not only had a strength boost that my armor and weapon depended upon so I could use them at the time, but also apparently had a previous strength boost that was applied from some other item so I could wear that helm in the first place. So once I took the helm off, there went my ability to wear armor and wield that weapon, and no ability to put the helm back on.

Unless of course I go shopping and blow my entire savings on some strength boosting jewelry. But great, the stupid merchants across the three towns I've progressed through didn't have any available to boost strength a mere five points to begin with. And then having to travel back and forth browsing through their understrength garbage wares just wasn't worth it.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Just Cause 2 has some of the worst driving mechanics I've ever witnessed in a game. Everything makes you spin out of control, even when not trying to accelerate to 20mph. Doing the timed runs already sucks when they're mostly done on two lane roads and you have to thread between cars instead of driving on the shoulder, where pylons erected every X amount of distance that make you spin out of control if hit. Whoa, bump in the road? You just got turned 90 degrees to the left/right and crashed into two trees and a military jeep. Now got the army on your rear end! I even somehow managed to get flipped over in a garbage truck when I challenged a dinky scooter head-on.

And oddly enough even with all this bullshit and many other things, still a surprisingly fun game. Wtf.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Just to add to the ugh Ubisoft ugh train, Far Cry 2 does a lot to sabotage itself. Rapidly deteriorating weapons, constant fixing of vehicles, respawning checkpoints everywhere, unfun exploration for money (Diamonds are the currency. And if you want to play around with more than four weapons, guess what you'll be doing!) etc. And then the plot starting off as "Just got here. Already got Malaria" is kinda typical of Ubisoft's garbage writing, but this effects gameplay when trying to shoot someone when your vision blurs and the overwhelming brown of the environments decide to get yellowish-green.

And this really does describe like 80% of the game it's so deprived of content.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Quantum Replica shaped up to be a bad game. Got almost halfway through according to the percentage displayed when you load a save. But the part that made me stop trying to overlook its flaws concerns a bunch of turrets that can be hard to see depending on camera position, not always so easy to catch even when the are unobstructed (Game is pretty dark and the in game Gamma settings are inadequate, which leads into running into a lot of things frequently.), and they can pick you off from well outside the range of your camera's view. There's also no indication on when they'll pop up and shoot you.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Learned in the past few days that X-Wing Alliance got a 2.02 version update (Years old already though) so started replaying that. Still great fun, still at times braindead AI that will leave you hanging and not accomplish their part of the mission, bringing you to having to replay everything. Now just have to remember which missions really bugged out with the scripting if you did too good a job killing poo poo and identifying.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Prey: Mooncrash really didn't need the Corruption timer thrown in. I'm not even sure what purpose it serves, so I either missed some exposition or it's just complete garbage tacked on for arbitrary nonsense.

Lead Psychiatry has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Jun 19, 2018

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Discovered Witchaven recently. Forgot how terrible movement tied to the mouse is. Thanks for the reminder, game from 1995.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That reminds me, what games are rendered almost unwinnable because at one point you get bottlenecked into a linear sequence, and if you weren't prepared beforehand you are very likely hosed? You can't backtrack or anything?

This used to be the case in Strife before the Veteran Edition came out for GOG.

Speaking of which, the autoaim and level design in Strife is bad in ways that I don't recall struggling with in other DooM engine games like Heretic.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I find it odd Lorne Lanning would accuse EA of sabotaging his game by not properly promoting it when there's so many bad mechanics at work in Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath for the PC. And it ranges from minor things like automatically sprinting whenever the game feels like it cause having a button for it was too much, to the criminally negligent of not letting the player stay in first person view when collecting criminals, or even being allowed to do the collecting in first person. First person is the only mode you can use your weapons in! So any chance of maintaining momentum in a battle with more than two guys falters.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Sure, Vampyr, just drop an epidemic of Fatigue and Cold on me because I wanted to evolve a bit. I was totally hoping to have to hunt down and interact with almost a dozen NPCs again after finding their hints and curing them the first time around. How silly of me to think that actually progressing and not having to worry about pointless busy work like this would be the real fun of playing the game to see the goodest of good endings.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Just about to finish up Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition and if the memes and references were toned down, they weren't toned down nearly enough.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Speaking of Guacamelee, who is the dent-in-the-head fuckwit that came up with that throwing mechanic? It's terrible. It was poo poo when it was first introduced, and there aren't enough chickens to sacrifice to arcane gods to make it any good for the Calaca fight in the end.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Evil Within's plot is pretty bad for the most part. It isn't hard at all to find inconsistencies allover the place in that game.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Replaying Arkham Asylum. Good to know that almost a full decade later I still have a bad grasp of the combat mechanics. Just can't seem to get a good pacing for button presses.

Also Riddler comments make him seem like he's rocking the Alzheimer's. Find a map, "Well anyone can do it with clues". Find a whole bunch of collectibles, "How're you doing this?! You must be cheating!"

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

The Messenger really should've allowed a trigger/shoulder button to be glide instead of holding the jump button. The way the game plays as is can make for clumsy play if it means a double-jump first. Also cause having nothing but face buttons to use can get really mashy at some parts of the game that can really, really suck.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Decided to get into the LEGO Batman series and the first game is really really rough compared to the 500 newer LEGO games that have since come out. Poorer direction to the player, mulitpliers don't appear to work, but there definitely isn't an indication they're in effect, barely letting you escape deaths and being penalized heavily for it, etc etc.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Deified Data posted:

I assume this is more on the original author of the stories and less on CDPR

Yes.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Safeword posted:

CDP deviate enough from the source material when it suits them. Don't excuse their shittiness just because of someone else's.

I can't really put the blame at CDPR's feet for making sorceresses in the exact image Sapkowski laid out for them. Which as the other poster stated is very much as manipulative sexpots leading men by the nose.

Yeah blame the sex cards and sewer hookers on CDPR. But sex cards were just some silly gameplay thing. Books still have him as a lothario of sorts.

Lead Psychiatry has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Oct 15, 2018

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Biggest challenge for me in playing LoZ Windwaker again after over a decade is mustering up the patience to read the same loving messages attached to items over and over again.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

A Hat In Time has taught rather quickly that if the level isn't Mafia Town, it isn't nearly so much fun. And gently caress the camera but I guess that goes without saying for this kind of game.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I've apparently played the Dead Space series to the point where replaiyng Resident Evil 4 for the first time since it's 2005 release is just painful.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Wasn't that much of a fan of Mass Effect, but was told that 2 was a step up. It really isn't. And getting to the part where you go after a gently caress vampire has put me over the edge and convinced me this is definitely the most god awful overrated franchise in the industry.

I mean, I know that the concept is based on actual myth creatures and such and it isn't at all unique to this game. It's just done so piss poorly.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I thought the bit with Morinth was neat when I realised if you recruited her she'd spend the rest of the game pretending to be Samara. And that if you hosed her you'd die like anyone else.

This is cool as poo poo and wish I had gotten this instead of the poor soap opera subplot.

Sunswipe posted:

After playing through the series, I realised I really liked the setting, it was just the story being told in it that sucked. The various alien races were interesting, it was neat to encounter races that weren't just humans with weird foreheads or different coloured skin. Just a shame that the story about the Reapers was so dull and was given one of the most stupid endings I've seen on anything ever.

This where I've been at since roughly the latter portions of my ME1 playthrough. There's some inspired stuff to be sure. Just not enough good execution.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I've been enjoying Void Bastards quite a bit. Sadly, the map and navigation is just flat loving trash that makes the hunt for items godawful tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I should've bothered to look into what the actual good fan missions for The Dark Mod were, instead of just trying to do the list in order. I ended up with a bunch of stinkers and now just don't care to get in my Thief fix anymore.

And this after putting off trying out TDM for years.