Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Taeke posted:

I feel the same. I've only just collected the four important souls, and I'm already level 120 and many, many hours into it, so I'm not very good, but Black Gulch didn't give me any trouble at all. It was short, challenging, pretty and a lot of fun. It takes a little while if you want to do it right and not die but there's a definite sense of progress and achievement when you look behind you and you see all the statues you've busted so far.

Also, why is the first, smaller boss in Old Iron Keep so much harder than the second, more important boss?

Reminds me of Demon's that way, where the Flamelurker was a right bastard, and the Dragon God was a puzzle boss.

Except without the puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Rise of the Triad 2013: The loving jumping puzzles. The shooting is great, the map design is very fun, the enemies are funny, the weapons all feel amazing, the soundtrack(s!) is FANTASTIC.

And then they have levels where you HAVE to navigate tricky jumps with horrible physics. I don't mind the regular jump pad to change levels, but instadeath pits with terrible jump pad puzzles?

gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Episode 2 level 2 almost made me quit the thing.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Whatev posted:

Has there been a Kickstarter funded game successfully released yet that wasn't either forgettable pap or a loving disaster?

Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin are good and amazing.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

death .cab for qt posted:

They have some really neat boss designs and ideas, but Smelter Demon/Old Dragonslayer just miss the mark. If Old Dragonslayer was actually difficult, it would be an awesome fight that comes out of nowhere, but the thing that made BigO such a scary fight was the wear down from fighting them both at once, then having to fight a super charged Ornstein. This is just supercharged Ornstein, which isn't a hard fight.

Ornstein being relatively weak and honestly a very easy boss is more or less the point.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Zelda Ocarina of Time fishing is fantastic though.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Cleretic posted:

Wait, isn't the first one like, a month old? How the gently caress is there a sequel?

Scott Cawthon works fast. Also, strike while the iron is hot. Didn't he take like 2 weeks to make the first one?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

StandardVC10 posted:

You missed the greatest thing, 12 gauge coinshot. But with legion coins being somewhat rare, and each shell requiring 8 coins, I found that the fun with it was always fairly short-lived.

Rendering to Caesar's what's his is always great though. Goddamn. Now I want to replay New Vegas. Again.

And unload coinshot in Caesar's face on vats. Again.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

bewilderment posted:

Yeah, I remember this on the PS2. If you were gonna start a new game then for the entire opening sequence you really needed, like, a snack and a warm comfy blanket or something, whatever helps you chill out, because you're gonna be watching anime and occasionally advancing text for the next two to three hours.

Fortunately, the vita version let's you press start in events so it fast forwards.
That is a real good addition that I do not remember from the ps2 verion.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Cleretic posted:

Dungeon of the Endless is way too luck-based. I understand that it's a roguelike, which is already an extremely luck-based genre, but Dungeon is the only one I've found that can and will just straight-up murder you if you have bad luck. If you can't establish an early foothold on a floor, that's it, you're hosed. And there's plenty of reasons for that to happen, that only get more likely as the game goes; you could not be given dust to power rooms, you could have too few self-powered rooms to give yourself space, you could actually HAVE powered rooms but in a bad layout, you could have too few resources to expend to actually make those rooms defensible, and if any one of those things happen you're going to die VERY quickly.

The game doesn't give you any means to mitigate any of this; there's no tools or maneuvers to defend against just having a poo poo start to a floor. When it happens you might as well give up, no matter how far you've come.

If you are having a bad run, you are meant to abort it. You do not have to finish all encounter, or all runs.
Run back! Regroup and try again.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Aleph Null posted:

Wizardry 8 used a similar system. Skills got better with use and you could spend points on them.

Wizardry 6 as well.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Cleretic posted:

Magran, Abydon or Skaen, who you've had much more opportunity to learn about through meeting their followers, for no real reason.

Uh, yes, you can?

Magran and Abydon are chilling with Galawain, and Skaen is freezing with Rymrgand.

I mean, not directly, no, but you do get to do that.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Cleretic posted:

Oh. The game doesn't make that clear AT ALL.

I went with Hylea because I wanted something close to a god of knowledge, and with Abydon apparently unavailable and Wael's altar unresponsive, the god with 'invention' somewhere in her description was the best option. The god of hunting was the one I was least likely to look into, really.

Also, Wael IS available... but in the last map. And he requires you to betray/trick you chosen deity. Not in the Council. He is kind of a dick, I guess.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

RBA Starblade posted:

They should just be allowed to have a second sidearm.

Water and tranq pistol at the same time

Or dual revolvers.
Hell, they are giving Ocelot in MGO dual revolvers, aren't they?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Sleeping Dogs and Mad Max had the most brutal feeling batman combat.

Particularly sleeping dogs, goddamn. Wei's limb breaking and environmental attacks get downright nasty

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yes, it's insanely good when it isn't being insanely dumb.

Or being insanely good WHILE being insanely dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP5k9D6gCog&t=71s

Any game where lighting yourself on fire and then climbing on giant monsters is a valid tactic is immediately awesome just for that.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

RyokoTK posted:

Dark Souls is hard because you have to think and pay attention, which you honestly really don't have to do in most games. If you know what's going on, it doesn't demand that much actual dexterity or skill on the player's behalf. It's just that if you play lazy you're gonna get your rear end kicked, and if you're stupid and lack pattern recognition then you'll have more trouble with it than you're probably supposed to. The reputation the games have is probably predicated on that.

The only exception to me is Bloodborne, which I have beaten several times and still struggle with because it's such a fast-paced game.

Yeah, basically since Demon's up to Dark 2, it is all about being careful, taking your time, and actually noticing environmental cues. Bloodborne is a much, much more aggressive and fast paced game.

This image still rings true to me regarding all of the game. It is not too hard as long as you take your time (with exceptions such as the Capra demon, which is more or less a gear check, or the Chaos Bed which is badly designed in Dark 1, or the Ruin Sentinels and the Ruin Sentinels in the dang little room in Dark 2, did not play enough of Scholar to get complaining material, I should reinstall it.)

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Jia posted:

People played any of the ME games for the combat?

I played ME3 for the multiplayer, mostly. It was quite fun.
Never did finish the actual single player campaign for it though.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Ryoshi posted:

On a more general note - gently caress respawning enemies in almost every situation, PARTICULARLY if they were never respawning before. I just activated the blood moon in Bloodborne and while I understand why it happens - it's a great way to ramp up the tension at that point - it also kind of turns it into a way different game than the one I thought I was playing.

Find and kill the bell ringing ladies.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

well why not posted:

You know what? Good. I hope someone else picks up the core 'diablo ft. guns' concept and makes an actually good game out of it.

Shadow warrior 2 is that, so far.

But the loot system can be annoying. I have not seen a "sell everything in junk" button, or a filter to automatically put all white drops in junk.

Other than that it is fantastic for first person diablo. Weapons are all good!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Digirat posted:

Weak-feeling energy weapons are no less of a sin than weak-feeling guns and it's honestly really surprising to me to hear doom 4 didn't get the feel of weapon impacts right considering how much praise I've heard for the game. That is an absolutely critical part of any action game (by contrast, shadow warrior 2's weapon impacts are meaty and often dismember/deform enemies long before the enemies are even low on health).

However wimpy other weapons might feel, the super shotgun, and the rail cannon more than redeem the game regarding that.

They are ridiculously satisfying.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The real anzwer is because theyre lazy and didnt want to make more models, meshes and rigging.

That would not explain why the argonians had breasts in both arena and daggerfall.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Pseudohog posted:

K. J. Parker's Engineer trilogy is basically about this kind of person - someone who has a very definite goal and will do anything to achieve it. It takes a while to get going but it's a good read in my opinion!

Also, the count of Monte Cristo, and Bester's The Stars My Destination.

Dang good books with ridiculously driven characters. Amoral, too.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Somfin posted:

I can accept a backer oc as a background NPC, at a high price. The ones in Pillars were a bit overbearing from time to time but at least they were mostly ignorable.

I can accept a backer oc as a sidequest thing that can be ignored and is carefully woven into the world's fiction.

I can't comprehend leaving your final boss open enough that a kickstarter person gets to stick their oc in there.

At least in Pillars you could murder a bunch of them to get some PRETTY GODDAMN NICE gear with little or no repercusion.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Len posted:

At this point the Bethesda games are the standard though?

Two games in it are Bethesda, so there are still more of the better kind.

Only 3 and 4, and 4 following new Vegas makes it worse.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Somfin posted:

They don't ~mention~ it, it's the core of your character.

All other Fallout games gave you an origin, this one saddles you with a motivation.

Not only that, the origins provided in 1, 2 and New Vegas all had a ridiculous amount of background that was up to the player or the skillset chosen by the player.

It wasmore about what you wanted to do or your personal motivations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

muscles like this! posted:

Because Wyatt spends the entire game hosed up on LSD.

yeah but Fergus gets robot arm shenanigans.

Really really good robot arm shenanigans.

What is dragging TNC down for me is that there is no timeline switch thing like New Order had, or at least I could not find one. I want to play with the diesel gun!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
The inventory scaling in Divinity Original Sin 2 is goddamn insane. Gear that was really good at level 15 might as well be made out of tissue paper on level 17.

The vendors restock at every level though, that is a good thing.,

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Yardbomb posted:

The bone fist basically ruined other Souls games for me because it didn't come back.

this but also power stanced maces

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Vic posted:

Sounds like a telltale game

Now I kinda want a telltale Dredd game.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Vic posted:

Yup same. It wasn't exactly a secret but since the game didn't tell you or promote it, you only learned about it from dev interviews.

I remember reading how it was designed to give you enough ammo depending on skill and play style in magazines when it was released as well, but it certainly was more subtle than the dynamic difficulty in God hand.

More games should mimic God hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Morpheus posted:

Just hold down the interact button to hoover everything up around you. That's a thing in the first Borderlands, isn't it? It's been a while since I've played.

Anyway in DQXI, casting Zoom while indoors no longer has you bash your head on the ceiling. 0/10 fake DQ game.

WHAT
brb canceling preorder

Well not really but not bashing the head if cast indoors is a sad removal.