Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
After about 2-3 false starts over the last decade I finally sat down and finished Freelancer. Decent space-sim, kinda like Elite with singleplay and a few additional gameplay tweaks but the singleplayer campaign fucks you over in a couple of the last mission because of the intersection of a few factors:

1. After every ingame cutscene, you return to control of your ship and your ship has zero inertia and the throttle is at zero.

2. There are several instances in the final missions where there are engine-driven mid-mission cutscenes, which totally take you out of the game. During this time it appears that the AI simulation runs as normal, just with everyone's ability to fire turned off.

3. The cutscenes in #2 occur during large-scale battles where there are dozens of fighters zipping about, and they often trigger based on a timer or on something that you, the player character, did not do, while there's a sizable amount of enemy ships left.

All of this adds up to a scenario where you are in the middle of a dogfight during a difficult mission, out of nowhere a cutscene plays, and then all of a sudden you're completely dead in the water with every enemy ship in the surrounding square kilometer locked on to you and firing their now-active weapons while you try desperately to actually build some speed so that you can evade them. Cue your shields being stripped down in a couple of seconds and hull damage mounting - there was one point where I was hammering the auto-repair/shield-booster buttons constantly the second the cutscene ended, and I still ended up losing one of the wings on my ship along with 1/3 of my weapons without any recourse whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Alien isolation is an amazing game that evokes the feel of the original movie extraordinarily well and is just about the finest horror game I've ever played. It is, however, marred by being just a fraction overlong with a third act that drags a bit, but even that is forgivable in comparison with literally the last minute of the game. The final 30 seconds of gameplay and the super abrupt ending feels like finding a fleck of poo at the bottom of a delicious ice-cream cone.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Nuebot posted:

Fighting game tutorials are really bad. There was one mortal kombat game on the PS2 that had a sort of story mode, and the first chunk of it was a tutorial in that same vein and you go from doing really basic combos and moves, to suddenly having to do some massive combo flawlessly without any indication of what you're doing wrong. Me and a friend spent like half an hour on that one room before giving up on it and just going to screw around in arcade mode and unlock everyone to play with in multiplayer, never again touching the campaign.

Ever play the game Driver?

The beginning unskippable tutorial had you doing bullshit tricks that were incredibly hard and actually acted as a barrier to entry to some people trying to play the game. I tried playing a copy a friend loaned me and gave up completely after 20 minutes of futzing about in a parking lot, having never actually seen the game world.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Nuebot posted:

So in KOTOR2 there's a great segment where your main character gets kidnapped and you're forced to play as three arbitrary characters and you have to fight a gauntlet of hard enemies. If you didn't build up those three characters, one of which you literally just get about five minutes earlier, you're hosed and this is nearly unwinnable. I just gave up because the enemies in this hallway were stunning all three of my characters in one hit each and doing 90% of their HP per attack. There's no warning this happens either so gently caress you if you save after the character switch, your game is now unwinnable.

Even characters that don't accompany you on missions have rough xp parity so you can just level them like two dozen times immediately upon assuming control of them even if you've literally never used them in battle.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

kazil posted:

In Fallout 4 if you play as the wife, and set your intelligence to literally the lowest possible setting, you still have a law degree.

Dunno if that's Bethesda being dumb or brilliant though.

Is there a dialogue system that actually reflects the fact that you are a drooling retard if you have low intelligence in this one?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This Fallout game is a buggy piece of poo poo on release day! If only the divine providence of pattern recognition could in some way have prepared me for this and convinced me to wait a few weeks worth of patches before purchasing it so that I could play through it without a slew of game-breaking bugs ruining my experience!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kaubocks posted:

you seem like you feel very strongly about this

I'm just amused at the fact that this has happened twice in a row previously and is happening yet again, but nerds just gotta preorder/download on the day it drops and then complain that they're having a substandard experience again somehow.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Woolie Wool posted:

Every other industry ships products that work, why not demand the same of games? People sure have low expectations for their 60 bux around here.

(I don't buy games on launch day)

Oh I agree it's a shitshow, and SHOULD be completely unacceptable, but as long as people buy into the hype train and hand over their money before finding out about the state of the product it will happily perpetuate.

They do it because they know you'll pay.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Whole buncha INT<4 dialog in this thread.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Mad Max is a very fun game that does a good job of eliciting the general feel of the movies, but some of the mechanics in it are less than well-implemented. Scavenging for fuel and water seem like they would be good game mechanics for the post-apocalypse, but they are rendered completely trivial by dint of the fact that fuel is EVERYWHERE (not once in my first playthrough did my tank drop below 75% full), as is water, and you can very quickly stumble across a literally infinite supply of both.

Also there needed to be more missions like the convoy assault that led up to the final boss battle, because it was great but felt all too short.

I DO like the fact, however that despite the combat system being somewhat Batman-Arkham-lite, counters and lengthy attack animations DIDN'T render you completely invulnerable to attack. Actually having to worry about positioning and who could potentially knock you around when you're triggering a devastating-yet-lengthy move took getting used to, but gave a much more realistic feel for being absolutely dogpiled by enemies.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Tower of Guns is a fantastic game that fills the 'just fire it up and have a blast for half an hour' niche, and the (un?)intended consequences of its zany weapons and powerups interacting with one another (example; attaching a mod that makes every projectile you fire lay down a sphere that causes damage over time every time it hits something to a gun that fires a cloud of bouncing spikeballs, then firing it in a corridor and dying in 2 seconds because the damage spheres stack without limit and occur on every bounce) lead to a bunch of hilarious deaths.

What isn't fun is when you kill the secret final boss, the screen starts shaking and fading to white as it goes into its death animation... And a loosed projectile or one of the flying critters the boss spawns in hits you and takes out your last bit of health.And to add insult to injury the camera starts to follow the path that you usually automatically go down for the ending sequence before you get to the game over screen.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
In Tales of the Borderlands, everything after the nanosecond you attempt to go back to a section and make different choices. I know it's a storygame or whatever, but I get the impression that the illusion of player agency was more important than any actual player agency in the game. All you're really doing is choosing the specific way that your characters react the the events that are inexorably progressing around them, and the biggest change to how events play out seems to be which characters are available to form the vault-monster-killing Friendship Voltron at the end - and even then it's largely a cosmetic change. I'm not saying you need thousands of branching paths, but choices that would have altered how things played out down the line to a meaningful degree would have been nice.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it for what it was, there were some nice moments, and the cafeteria/fingerguns scene had me roaring with laughter at how gloriously retarded it was, but I get the impression that it could have been a lot more.

Someone give Telltale a bigger dev budget and the license for Archer, please.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Death Zebra posted:

Also, gently caress trying to get the gold medals on GTA5. Checkpoints kill your rating but if you gently caress something up there's no retry from the start option so you have to quit, have the game reload the story mode, and then reload the same mission again. I timed it and it takes something like 1 minute and 45 seconds! You can't see the conditions for getting gold during the mission itself and whether you're meeting them so the entire mission playthrough, some of which take 10 minutes or more, could a total loving waste of time. I think in one mission my time didn't count because getting in the truck right at the beginning counts as a checkpoint.

Quality of life things like this (mainly in terms of "fail a mission? Drive for ages to restart it from the beginning again, then!") are what got me stopping playing the GTA series in the middle of Red County in San Andreas.

In a post-Saint's Row world this really shouldn't be happening - the mission restart/checkpoint system they have is a great way to avoid ridiculous amounts of tedium and wasted time.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
iirc it's hard but very doable to one-shot the lady Sith boss by force choking her as soon as the battle starts, and then within about a tenth of a second tilting your view at a 45 degree angle and towards the nearest edge and using force push to punt her off while still airborne before she breaks free of choke.

Also if you're not using g_saberrealisticcombat 1 you're not playing.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

JK2 had lots of insanely bad levels that drag it down generally, it's a good game that's painful to play through. Whenever I fire it up I end up just playing The Emperor's Courthouse and The Emperor's Deathstar, two completely batshit user-made maps filled with the most insane, fun nonsense imaginable.

There's also an Arena map whose name escapes me at the moment that spawns you in an arena with all force powers, a lightsaber, and has you facing wave after wave of lightsaber enemies, starting from one or two of the basic enemies at a time and ramping up until you are taking on literally a dozen at once. All to the tune of Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up, because reasons.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel:, specifically Claptastic Voyage.

It's a fun game, not quite to the level of BL:2 (which wins by default due to the fact that it has Krieg in it), but a nice way to waste an hour or two shooting mans and setting them on fire.

But then you reach the final boss' final form. It basically plays like a raid boss, and is a difficulty spike far in excess of any end-game boss in the series. With massive amounts of health, shields that regenerate 3-4 times during the fight, the ability to spawn Badass enemies at will, and several attacks that will down you in one hit, it strays right out of 'tough but fair' and straight into bullshit territory. The screen is a candy-coloured rainbow of explosions and status effects going off from the half-dozen other enemies who are constantly firing at you plus the boss shooting a number of smaller cannons, missiles, and main guns, and the only reason I was able to beat it after about an hour of trying was that I was using a character specced out so that I could trigger a special ability that makes you invulnerable from the front and heals you, and was deployable for ~10 seconds out of every 20.

I have no idea how I'm going to beat it with one of the other characters without either massively overleveling or else working out a broken character build for the fight.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Ugh I just can't stand how in Final Fight you heal yourself by eating a whole roast chicken that you find in the street. First of all that's unhygienic, and second while proper nutrition can aid in the body's natural healing process it does not accelerate it to that degree. This breaks the verisimilitude that I experience when playing the game and frankly detracts from the richness of the narrative. How they expect us to treat the game with the considered seriousness that it deserves is beyond me.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Bar Crow posted:

The whole randomized gun system feels like a mistake. Instead of choosing between interesting options, you're mostly just sorting through garbage.

And invariably using named/unique weapons almost exclusively beyond a certain point.

That said, some of the inventive features of the unique weapons makes up for 99℅ of the game's weapons being complete trash.

And there's always the comedy option like the boganella. :laugh:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
How I would improve the most recent borderlands games with minimal engineering debt:

1. Make it so that at you can insert a piece of loot any weapon/shield vendor and raise that piece of loot to your level, for the cost of whatever your level is in Eridium/Moonstone. This lets you keep your favourite weapons, but makes you weigh up the cost of doing so.

2. Put a loving 'buy all' button on the ammo vending machines already.

3.Enemies/loot/vendors in True Vault Hunter mode scale after endgame, allowing you to explore the higher levels while still having fun and leaving Ultimate mode as a playground for masochists.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Seeing as spec Ops has caused a back and forth serious business discussion about the nature of violence and participating in carnage in a video game for pages now, it's hard to see it as anything less than an unqualified success in its intended outcome.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

KingSlime posted:

mmo's sound like a terrible thing to waste your adult life on

This statement rests on an overly conventional definition of 'adult' and 'life'.

It's best to assume a spherical goon when making these calculations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Somfin posted:

Kreia's actually got a halfway interesting take on destiny and the Force, and it's a real shame that the game felt the need to while away so much time in Pazaak without exploring it- she actually believes that the Force- that is, the Force itself- is a conscious, deliberate influence in the universe and, moreover, it is deliberately loving with anyone able to influence it as a sort of petty revenge. Her point, which was incredibly poorly communicated, was "See? If you don't control everything, the universe will gently caress with you no matter what you try to do, so your best bet is to BRING THE UNIVERSE TO HEEL."

It was also the most interesting thing to come out of Star Wars since Empire which is why it was immediately disavowed and personally detested by Lucas.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Alpha protocol is best played as alternate universe sterling archer.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Walton Simons posted:

Even if all of those were 95.51% chances rounded up to 96%, that's a 0.0091% chance to miss all 3 :stare:

To be fair, thats a little less than one in ten thousand chance. Multiply tens/hundreds of thousands of people playing the game by thousands of shots fired and its bound to happen quite often.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cleretic posted:

I think durability mechanics can work, but it needs to be a game well-suited for them. They're a limiting factor for the player, so they can be a bit dicey, but you can make them work.

Horror I think is a genre that works well with limiting equipment factors like durability, because it adds another layer of tension. You need to keep on top of your gear, or else it fails when you need it the most. I don't play horror games so I don't know how well they do with that when they try, but it's something that can theoretically work.

Oblivion's durability mechanics I felt led to an interesting dynamic that may not have been intentional on the developers' part. Enchanting in that game is ludicrously broken if you know what you're doing, but it's actually the equipment repairing that preventssomebody knowledgeable from completely shattering the game's balance right out the gate: you need to improve your Armorer skill to be able to repair magic items yourself. That means that durability is your primary limiting factor early on.

System shock 2 is a good example of this, because you CAN develop your character to the point where item durability is essentially negligible, however in the early stages or if you are playing on impossible there is still a lot of tension with regards to your gun suddenly breaking during a firefight

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The thing dragging every single Telltale game down is that there isn't one tenth of as much actual consequences from your choices as in Alpha Protocol.

Remove all of the janky combat and you're left with a storygame that's superior in every way. There are so many actual changes to the plot depending on actions/dialogue that it's baffling. I mean, Scarlet Lake is the other assassin who takes the shot when you're fighting Omen Deng?!?! WHAT.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Also loving lol at the endgame note about having SIE 'rescue' you.

You steal and encrypt the footage of your 'rescue' and watch it like 147 times in the next few months, and every agency on the planet is gunning to decrypt it so as to see what crucial espionage information is included in it.

I'm kinda miffed that at the end of the day if you've been sufficiently aggressive and vengeful enough you can't just sail off with her instead and go full rogue agent/freelance merc.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
And rictus erectus.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Oxxidation posted:

The Beginner's Guide consists of two major characters, an artist and a critic, with the latter going on an in-depth analysis and presentation of the former's creations that not only is completely at odds with the presented aims of the work, but only serves to highlight the critic's own insecurities, with a larger message about the interactions between creator, consumer, and patron. Obviously there are differences - Nabokov is a way better writer, Wreden's "critic" persona isn't as ostentatiously deluded as Kinbote and Coda is actively hostile to Wreden instead of indifferent/slightly pitying like John Shade, but the basic structure and themes are pretty much a perfect match.

e: it even has the source of conflict between the critics and the artists consisting of an attempt by the former to clandestinely influence the latter's work, Kinbote by seeding his imagery of Zembla into his conversations with Shade and Wreden by constantly sharing and commenting on Coda's private games. Both also totally backfire in a way that psychologically devastates the critic, though TBG is a lot less subtle about it.

I like playing games where you shoot the mans, and then you shoot the bigger mans, and then you win the game.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This game is garbage poo poo for idiots and was a waste of ten dollars. I'm never getting those 264 hours of my life back and intend to pursue a refund.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I am playing Wasteland 2 for the first time, as I've just recently got it on the steam sale, and while I am really really enjoying it as it is near enough to being an isometric Fallout 3 by way of XCOM's combat system , I'm finding it a little bit jarring that people will quite happily let me steal from them without going hostile or even mentioning that I'm doing it. Like, I'll go into a camp somewhere and it just open locked crates and steal their stuff and they'll not even say anything about it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Borderlands 2 introduces you to E-tech weapons in the worst way possible - it gives you a quest asking you to find this cool new gun type that is apparently totally awesome and kills people like nothing else, and then gets you to kill 25 people with it... Except the weapon it gives you to accomplish this with is a lovely low accuracy low damage assault rifle in a game where assault rifles are deliberately nerfed, and you invariably have to stop in the middle of a battle, retreat to an ammo vendor, and refill three or four times in order to finish the dumb quest.

I don't know if other E-tech weapons are any good, because that mission expertly trained me to not give a gently caress about them.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Minor annoyance for such an old game, but seeing as I'm playing through it again: in the original Dead Space the first time that you encounter a vacuum, you are met with a tutorial box that completely arrests any kind of movement, while your oxygen counter starts counting down.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Calaveron posted:

You say Automato, I say Automato

Nier enough.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Morpheus posted:

That's not hugging.

Those aren't tears on Batman's face either.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mikl posted:

I never finished San Andreas because the build-up to the final mission requires you to conquer lots of territory for your gang to draw the bad guy out of hiding, and I hated that gameplay mechanic with a fiery passion. "Hey here's a game where you can do all sorts of dumb poo poo! It's awesome! Except for that one mechanic that requires you to stand in an area and have enemy waves come at you! Now guess what mechanic you have to grind before you're allowed to play the final mission!"

I ground out as much of the whole map as possible as soon as possible in the first act, and then it was arbitrarily taken away from me in a story beat.

That plus the mind numbing driving back to mission starts in red county whenever you failed broke me and I haven't played a GTA title since. Saints row is great, though.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I've tried a second time and for the life of me I can't get into The Flame In the Flood.

Say what you like about the difficulty of game like The Long Dark: as punishing as it can be at least there's a sense of agency to what you're doing. With TFITF most of the time my deaths seem completely arbitrary, pointless, and unavoidable. Most recent game essentially boiled down to:

• Go to first available island.
  • Cut my hand harvesting the first plant I see.
  • No materials to make gauze with, can't bandage hand. Clock is now ticking.
  • Rapidly rush through as many lootable islands as fast as possible to try to find bandages/the materials to make them. Nothing.
  • Due to lack of bandages develop Staph infection requiring (very rare) Penicillin.
  • Continue to loot areas as fast as humanly possible.
  • Find no meds.
  • Die.

At no point during it did I feel any sense of player agency, instead I was completely at the whim of RNG. At least in The Long Dark I can decide "okay, I'm going to starve now, so I can make a choice to attack, kill, and eat that wolf, likely causing my damage and a possible infection with parasites, but I'm in pretty good condition and at least can survive in the short-term potentially long enough to formulate a plan to visit areas that are likely to have stuff that can allow me to heal".

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That, but with Cryptark. The massive difficulty spike of the cryptark itself is disheartening to the point where I don't want to keep trying.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
One thing that grinds my gears about Street Fighter II - The World Warrior that isn't in any of the subsequent iterations is that Zangief's crouch is just high enough that it will get hit by (of if you're holding back block) a high Tiger Shot rather than being able to duck under it like every other character. What this means is that if you ever block a single high Tiger Shot, Sagat can keep throwing them at you almost faster than you can get out of blockstun, you have no way of ducking under or jumping over it, and he can just chip you to death with block damage (or you can just take them on the chin and die faster). I can routinely Double Perfect Bison with Zangief, but I can't even beat Sagat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

XkyRauh posted:

If memory serves, that functionality wasn't added to the Spinning Clothesline until Championship Edition.

Edit: I'm wrong! You're right! :) Double Lariat should be able to dodge projectiles in World Warrior.

It dodges every projectile except the high tiger shot.

Also I just tested it out again, and at mid-range if you block a single tiger shot and then stop blocking entirely and Sagat continues to launch tiger shots then you will keep blocking despite the controller being neutral (or even if you push forward) because of the length of your blockstun and how rapidly he does the tiger shots. You'll then invariably be block-damaged to death.