Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

m.hache posted:

So I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin and while the game is great and a lot of fun there are a few things that bother the hell out of me.

1. Keys aren't shared between characters. If you happen to pick up a random key on your mage but are controlling your warrior at the time the door/chest won't open.
2. Inventory management is atrocious. There is just so much wrong with it that I don't know where to start. I understand they want to keep them separate between characters because of the online component but maybe just combine them for single player or have your controlled characters contribute to your overall carrying capacity.
3. Speaking to animals. While great in theory having to chase around a moving pixel that actively runs away from you loving sucks.

Beyond that though, the game is a blast to play and pulling off awesome telefragging/poison cloud/explosion combos never get's old.

Seconding that the inventory management is terrible. I'd also like to be able to sort, y'know, alphabetically too. Sorting by item groups would be neat as well, instead of having to navigate tabs. And while it's not a drag per se, I wish there were more than two available companions. Larian does a pretty good job with off-beat characters, so I'd have liked to see more classes being represented with actual personalities, as opposed to having to hench rogues and earth/fire wizards and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

m.hache posted:

And occasionally I'll see a +1 to Altruism float above my head but I'll be damned if I know what that'll get me.

Go to your character sheet screen. You'll see personality traits and the bonuses they give you if you hover over them, and you may want different ones on each character. Obedient, for example, gives you a bonus if you're influenced by Leadership, whereas Independent just gives you bonuses. So you want your character with Leadership to have Independent, while the other one should be Obedient. I think Spiritual/Materialistic is another one that should be split too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

grittyreboot posted:

Bravely Default is pretty obnoxious about streetpass. The basic idea is that you have to rebuild the main character's home town. The more workers you have, the faster you can build and the more buildings you rebuild, the more gear you have access to.
But the only way to get builders is to use streetpass. So unless you happen to pass another person with a 3DS you're pretty much locked out of all the good stuff.

There's an online option where you can get randos off the internet to add as workers. I think there is a 3/day limit, but that still meant I had end game stuff halfway through the game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Namarrgon posted:

It's a shame because I really want to like this game. Even if I take away the aiming issues the controls are still very, very bad. Enough to almost completely compensate for the fun.

Either you're terrible at shootgames or something is terribly wrong. I just beat Sleeping Dogs (PC) with 0 control issues using a 360 controller.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Action Tortoise posted:

Yeah but Phobo's got it right with the writing. Dog Eyes felt like a proper antagonist and so does Pendrew.

The other thing that felt off from Sleeping Dog's tone was the dating side stuff. They're so vestigial and once you get the in-game benefit from dating a girl they're gone from the story.

Not Ping got a second date in the zombie DLC!

I'm playing through Trails in the Sky because I'm jonesing for JRPGs apparently, but drat do I hate the random battles. Animations take foreeeever, and I immediately hate it when I have guests in the party since they take their like 15-30 seconds to move away from anything and not do anything useful. Thank god for area of effect spells that chump most of the enemies, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sociopastry posted:

Some, like exterminating monsters, are relying on the monsters actually spawning and half the time it takes running back and forth over the area they're supposed to be in like six times before they finally spawn. Also, there are not enough rest points. I just went through six floors of monsters, can you please give me a rest point? No? Okay, then, gently caress you, game. Blegh.

I don't know where you are in the game, but I'm about halfway through the game and none of the exterminate sidequests required a random monster. They're stationary and generally kinda obvious, unless you're looking at a weird angle.

What does drag the game down is the slothlike pace of the combat. It takes so goddamn long to murder trash mobs, and they sometimes just run right for you instead of being cool and letting me walk around them. If this game had Earthbound's "You win!" mechanic, it would be like 10x as great, especially since said trash mobs give you like, 1 xp each. I also wouldn't say no to a way to change generally useless money to septium, either.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sociopastry posted:

Maybe I'm not looking right, then. I'm in Bose, and it's the mission on the way Bose highway. I'm only finding trash mobs. And yeah, agreed on the slowness of combat. I like the strategy part of the system, but holy drat does it take a long time to kill poo poo

I vaguely remember one in Bose (I think it's lobstery looking?) that was sort of hard to find if your camera was pointing North. It's super obvious if you're pointing South, though. That was the only one I can remember that was super hard.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

Ignore this person, the DLC is good and most of it is worth picking up. None of it really expands on the main game's story though.

You get to go on a second date with Not Ping!

I thought the DLC wasn't really worth it. Not bad per se, but not too worth it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a long time limit, but I like just going to places for the hell of it, looking around, grabbing resources, and not being harried by the thought that if I don't hurry up, I'm hosed.

I never really got this complaint against Star Control 2. Outside of those planets and systems that actually have plot stuff in them, that is usually alluded to or hinted at by various conversations in the game, there's really no reason to go into the galaxy and mine out every single planet. Hell, I think destroying the Slylandro probes gives you more money than most planet hauls, and that doesn't take up any storage space and becomes trivially easy with a Spathi Eluder.

But I guess OCD is a rather crippling condition sometimes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

Star Control 2 seems really cool but I can't get decent enough at the combat to have any fun with it. I go and explore the abandoned base on the moon for the space station and afterwards an angry space spider attacks. I get crushed because I don't really know the controls. Okay, I'm at the menu already and I see this "super melee" option so I go in and mash buttons until I figure out how to shoot my spaceguns (on that note - right CTRL? Really? And left CTRL doesn't work?). I end up consistently doing pretty well in the crazy neo-Asteroids combat minigame in super melee and reload my save.

I STILL end up getting murdered by the angry spider guy. What in the hell am I doing wrong? I'm not generally THAT bad at videogames....

The Earthling Cruiser (not your flagship) has homing missiles. Fire two homing missiles, preferably not at an asteroid.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I hated the Malik ambush because those stupid fuckers kept dying even when I wasn't trying to be lethal about it. Tranqed a guy and he fell to his death. On another reload, a guy tried to shoot me, ended up shooting the explosive barrel in front of him, and died. Multiple people dying to the giant robot explosion. I think that was about when I turned into full murder mode.

I guess the thing dragging DXHR was trying to get the nonlethal achievement because loving Christ it is unreasonably hard.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

cyberbug posted:

What brings this game down for me is the goddamn final boss fight (although I have no idea how many "this isn't even my final form":s are coming, but this is the one where you fight artificially Valkyried Maximillian). I have tried it about 10 times and I still have NO idea of what I should be doing. There are these pylon thingies which are powering him but they are coming online on some random (maybe?) schedule and also recovering (maybe?) and destroying them before they are active seems to do nothing and goddamn, I lost again and still have no idea what I did right and what wrong. Dammit, if I wanted obtuse game mechanics, I would be playing Resonance of Fate.

I don't know if you ever beat this, but turn 1, use 2 shocks to kill the nearby pylons, use a sniper to kill the far one. Move Edelweiss and Shamrock up, mortaring the now shield less Maximilian (as much as you can). His health should be around halfway. Max should use one action to move up, and another to attack one of the tanks. Turn 2, which you may need to savescum a bit to make sure things hit, use Lancers/Shocks/Sniper to shoot the new pylons, use an Attack Up Order on your highest damage shocktrooper, then move a Shocktrooper up next to Maximilian and unload multiple times. I think it takes about 4-5 solid actions of firing into him to finally kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I hope the next Deus Ex game doesn't include experience for killing dudes and just does what Deus Ex 1 did and give you points for completing objectives/being good at exploring. It seems stupid for a franchise that is ostensibly built on freedom of choice to "penalize" you mechanically for making certain choices. This is also sort of like games with a morality system where doing the good thing is often better since your allies hate you less and you tend to get more poo poo out of it anyway.