Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huszsersvn posted:

VC couldn't get more anime if it tried, but you say it does? How?

I think it's set in a high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I guess the last patch for The Witcher 3 rebalanced craftable items, maybe? All I know is I loaded my last save after not playing the game for a month and now all the items I had equipped are now two levels too high for me and if they come unequipped (and some missions take away your weapons or have you equip some special outfit) I can no longer equip them until I get a few more levels.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xinlum posted:

So I'm playing all the metal gears for the first time. Currently on 3, it's been great so far. Except shooting any big gun like the ak47 seems impossible. I have no idea how the aiming works with the 360 controller. I've been using pistols for the most part because I can actually aim and shoot with them. Google seems to show that I have to lightly press the attack button but I'm 99% sure that feature is gone with a 360 controller. When out of ammo for pistols I have to use thermal goggles to aim with rifles since the goggles give you a handy crosshair.

Anybody know wtf I'm doing wrong? I had the same issue in 2 but I never actually needed to use the rifles in that one.

There should be something in the control layout screen labelled as 'gun safety' or something. Since the 360 controller doesn't have pressure-sensitive face buttons like the PS2&3 controllers they had to take that function and put it on another button.

Also there is an iron sights button in MGS3.

EDIT: Iron sights are either L3 or R3 (or what ever the stick buttons are called on Xbox)

Veotax has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Oct 1, 2015

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Fun fact: due to a few bugs with survival and success values regarding Miranda, she's actually the most survivable member of the cast. She can only ever be killed when holding the line right at the end, and even those odds are way lower than they should be, so out of the whole cast perhaps the least popular member is the one most likely to survive.

I don't think it's even a bug, she has a line of dialogue before you make the choices for the final teams so she has to survive. The only bug would be if she somehow gets carried away by the bees.

It's not even an important line, it's something any character could say. I don't know why Bioware didn't just give every character that line and make someone else deliver it if Miranda dies.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Nope. I beat the game for ending A. Did one run through NG+, got ending B. I didn't have all of the weapons, or side quests, or anything completed, and said at the end of run three "yes, I will give up my existence" and then watched the game delete everything. I have no excuse beyond not having played a Cavia game before so I didn't think they actually meant it.

Maybe I'm forgetting, but doesn't the last confirmation prompt for that ending just break the forth wall and say "This is actually going to erase your save"?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The marriage proposal is a hint that this is the race that killed the stuffed cat by the litter box. When you talk to the race track owner (his name escapes me right now), he says that his new blimp crashed and killed his favourite cat while he was proposing to Olivia. The cat hats and the race number are two other parts of it.

It's a pretty obtuse puzzle.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

I don't get it.

You can't have more than one companion at a time in Fallout 4.

As for the second part, in New Vegas you could have one human companion and one non-human. So you couldn't have both the cyber-dog and the robot at once.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

2house2fly posted:

And yes, I am melting down.

I couldn't tell.

And your character saying "Yeah, uh huh" when you skip dialogue is great.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

I want to see a character whose lockpicking is so loving good that they can walk up to enemy knights, lockpick them out of their armor and shank them in the kidneys.

one of these days

You can kind of do that in Fallout 4. If you pickpocket the Fusion Core from a dude wearing power armour, the armour shuts down and the have to climb out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I believe the game cheats on every difficulty in some fashion. On easy and normal it cheats in your favour (easy has less aliens and nerfs the AI so they'll be less likely to use abilities and grenades as well as making bad moves on occasions while normal just nerfs the AI) and on classic and impossible it cheats in the alien's favour (buffing stats mostly).

There is no difficulty setting where the game doesn't cheat. I just want a difficulty setting where the game isn't helping me and giving the aliens bonuses.

http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Game_difficulty_(XCOM:_Enemy_Unknown)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rocksteady was really convinced that everyone was going to love the Batmobile.

They completely hosed up the challenge maps and only had around five combat maps and five predator maps, but don't worry guys because there were around fifteen various Batmobile challenges!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Seriously? I'm glad I didn't bother grinding out the unlock for that fight. I was dissapointed by the lack of non-vehicular boss fights in that game in general. I guess they were listening to the internet which seems to hate them, but I always enjoyed around 70% of them.

To make it worse, it's not even a new fight. It's just a repeat of an earlier one.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It might actually be old, it was definitely a thing back when it originally went F2P. Might have changed since then.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

SciFiDownBeat posted:

but my god does S&S look like garbage.

that's disappointing, I've always felt a game in the Avatar universe could have a lot of potential but I'm afraid they might all be terrible. the closest I can come to being Aang or Korra is making a general magic user in dark souls

Korra was also a $20 downloadable game, it was made on a pretty small budget and it shows.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Especially when you consider games like Mario Party that have modes that are basically "gently caress your controller!"

And your hand!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

You used to be able to craft the Witcher gear at a much earlier level, but they increased the level requirements in a patch. With no regard to if you were already wearing the stuff.
I ended up dropping the game 30 hours in because I was wearing nothing but crafted stuff when that patch hit and I was in the middle of a quest that unequipped your stuff for a story thing and I was unable to equip it again.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

They actually give you a potion that lets you wear the higher level gear for enough time to get leveled back up.

Pretty sure that came in the next patch, I had already uninstalled the game by then.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

His next game was announced last year, Detroit.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nuebot posted:

They were especially bad because they made you empty out your inventory before you could do most, if not all, of them and I'm one of those players who is almost constantly lugging around a million things.

Only Dead Money emptied your inventory, Honest Hearts only allowed you to take like 150lbs of stuff but the rest of the DLC let you take whatever you wanted into them.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm playing through the Halo series for the first time (largely, I've played 3, ODST and Reach before) in the Master Chief Collection and something that's getting annoying is the complete lack of subtitles in gameplay and the awful sound mix. Half the time I can't hear the characters over the music. Also in Halo 2 apparently pressing any button on the controller skips cutscenes, I managed to skip one by putting the controller down and accidentally hitting one of the triggers.

EDIT: Also gently caress the Flood. They are loving terrible and why are they in all three of the original games? Please tell me they don't come back for 4 & 5.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fingerless Gloves posted:

The crafting system is loving huge and it makes me afraid to sell anything in case I need to make some mediocre boots later on.

Don't craft anything but Witcher Gear, random armour and sword schematics generally aren't worth crafting.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The entire UI was overhauled and improved for the PC version. Yes, it used to be worse.

The later Mass Effect games just use the console UI largely (although it keeps the paused power/weapons UI from the PC version of ME1) but you still can't use a controller without mods.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

ME1's entire economy is also completely broken in part thanks to the scaling loot. Like, it's entirely possible to encounter a quest that offers a 400 credit reward when you're rocking guns that cost a million credits apiece, and it gets even sillier on New Game+ playthroughs.

That pretty much happens only on Noveria, they must have recorded all the dialogue for that planet first. It's the only planet where the characters tell you exactly how many credits they're going to give you when you complete the quest, every other quest in the game scales it's reward to your level but someone on Noveia will give you 400 credits at level 59 because he says in in dialogue.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Something that gets to me is when a game that has expanded universe bullshit (books, comics, straight-to-DVD movies and whatever) eventually they seem to come to the conclusion that you know all that poo poo before playing.

Both Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 introduced villains from extended media and expected me to care about them and now I'm playing Halo 5 and it seems to presume I've read some of the dozens of EU bullshit that's come out since the last game. I remember people telling me that Master Chief was the last Spartan II, now he's suddenly leading a whole team of them? The Prometheans seemed contained to the planet from Halo 4, why do they seem to be all over the Galaxy now and why are they fighting the Covenant?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Supposedly the ME novels are unbelievably bad and Kai Leng is an even worse character in them. Reading the EU poo poo is never worth it; if they're mining a series' tie-ins, the story sucks donkey dicks.

I'm an idiot and I actually read the first three books, I don't remember him being too terrible in those (relatively), though I barely remember him at all in the books. I heard he got worse in the fourth book that may not even be canon anymore (that's the one where he eats Anderson's cereal and pisses in a plant pot).

If there is one thing I'll give the Mass Effect EU credit for is that it goes out of it's way to never contradict a player's choice from the games. Shepard never appears or is given a gender, any characters who can die never appear after the games they can die in (Wrex and the ME1 human squad mates never appear in anything set after ME1 and Garrus & Tali never appear after ME2) etc. You compare that to the Dragon Age EU and it's obvious that there is a specific canon in mind for DA (Alistair is the king, but that's the only thing I can remember off the top of my head).

Veotax has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Jul 5, 2016

Veotax
May 16, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Dead Space 2: You can't turn off the DLC in Steam. This wouldn't be so annoying, but it comes with every piece of DLC so as soon as you arrive at the first store you note that it's completely cluttered with DLC weapons and costumes with no way of getting rid of them. This also means that unlock progression and item drops are messed up for the entire game, since generally you would have to unlock schematics to buy pulse rifle ammo or whatever. Since the DLC pulse rifle is there already you already have access to buying ammo for it and all the enemies will drop ammo for weapons you shouldn't be able to access yet. Kind of messes up the early game when you really need to be getting ammo for guns you're actually using.

You can still play the original version without DLC by copying your Steam key and using it to install the vanilla game on Origin, but then you would have to use Origin.

Take the un-patched Dead Space EXE from Origin and replace the one in Steam and the DLC won't activate. Maybe set the Steam version to not auto-update too? I don't know if Steam would detect the out of date EXE.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The thing that dragged down the Witness for me is that for years I heard people saying it was just like Myst. I watched some videos when it finally came out and it looks nothing like Myst.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

The Witness came out six months ago, are you maybe thinking of another game?

The Witness was in development for years and shown off to the press plenty of times, so I had been hearing for year that the Witness was "just like Myst" for years.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

no, you cant, because that means they wouldnt be able to maximize their profits by making it a spin on the roulette wheel

You can buy all the stuff that's available year round with in game currency (that you can only get from loot boxes), but the seasonal stuff you can only get from the seasonal loot boxes.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Didn't a Sonic game have a micro-transaction system where you could buy more lives?

Not unless it was a mobile game, the last two 'real' Sonic games were Wii U exclusive. Is the Wii U online service robust enough to allow that?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

...They're probably 2/3rds finished making CoD 2017...

They're probably pretty far along on CoD 2018 too. They now have three studios heading-up different games to keep to the annual release cycle: Infinity Ward, Treyarch and now Sledgehammer. I think Sledgehammer's second game is next year (their first was Advanced Warfare).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Taeke posted:

Posting about this really made me appreciate Dragon Age's system, where the portrait was just your character's model and you used sliders to determine their expression, the way they were facing and what background and lighting you wanted to use. They really nailed that, at least.

I hated that they moved to 'arty' character portraits for DA2 and DA:I. Sure all your party members get cool unique portraits, but what do you get? A loving green glowing hand.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Somfin posted:

I'd take a symbolic portrait over a wrong portrait ten times out of ten.

Oh, sure. I just meant in comparison to DA1's fantastic portrait creator.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've only seen about ten minutes of footage of Dishonored 2 (mostly from the start of the game) but it seems like the voice acting is poor and the player characters never shut up.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I think Fallout 3 and New Vegas are the best of the "here's what you did and here's what happened" slideshow endings in games, because there's just so goddamn much stuff you can do that would likely have effects after the game is over that the list just keeps going. It's very satisfying to kick back for like 5 straight minutes and watch all the important characters you interacted with just be like "man that vault guy/man that courier really helped us out/hosed us over for the forseeable future" over and over.

Fallout 3 didn't really do that, just New Vegas. 3 just had a small number of slides that would change depending on what quests you did but no narration describing what changed, mostly just a 'hey, remember this guy?' thing, only the ending changed the narration.

New Vegas actually had a bunch of slides like Fallout 1 and 2 that changed depending on how you completed quests and were narrated by characters involved in those quests.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The flags in AC1 were just there for Achievements on the 360. So they were literally pointless on the PC and PS3 (which didn't have trophies yet when the game was finally ported).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

World Famous W posted:

I agree with most the Fallout 4 complaints and will just like to add a minor gripe. Why the hell isn't their a key chain/quest document item in my misc items so I can stop scrolling past so much clutter. I know there are mods that did that, but I'm Xbone it up and want my achievements.

It's even dumber because I'm reasonably sure the was a keychain in Skyrim (unless that was built into SkyUI).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe he just didn't have a grappling hook in those games? Maybe he just keeps forgetting it? The first time you use it in the present in Uncharted 4 is when Sam gives it to you.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I really, really, really hate that Final Fantasy XIV has so many dungeons, trials and other team-content as part of its main quest. That sounds great, since it's an MMO and they should actually be making use of that, but they do it in the worst way, by having integral story things happen inside of four to eight-man dungeons. This causes two problems:

1. Your pace in progressing through the story is entirely dictated by whether other people are going to do that dungeon with you. This means that the less popular ones will slow you down immensely as you have to wait for people basically doing it out of goodwill (or because of it coming up in a roulette, which they won't like because it could've put them into one of the good dungeons), and if you play off-peak hours you're basically hosed.

2. Once you've managed to get that dungeon going, you literally cannot afford to pay attention to the story that's going on inside it. That story is told entirely in cutscenes, but to keep pace with the team you have to immediately skip that cutscene that everybody else just skipped. You have to learn later, by reviewing all the cutscenes you were forced to skip, what was actually going on.

What makes me sadder is that the dungeons themselves are generally pretty okay*! I'd be enjoying them in any other context! It's just that I'm only ever playing them after way too long spent waiting for other people to join, who then rush me through the reason I'm actually there in the first place.

*Well, except for that time they tried to design an 8-man stealth section. That's a separate thing, frankly I don't even know why they thought that was a good idea.

I wish they'd just do what The Old Republic did with the story heavy flashpoints. TOR lets you play them in a singleplayer 'story mode' which gives you a super over-powered robot companion which picks up the slack of not having three other team members and lets you play through at your own pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Somfin posted:

The Point of No Return mission is definitely not well signposted, but the lockdown on sidequesting wasn't that big a deal to me since you're gonna play the fuckin' thing five times.

E: and I think having unfinished business is thematically apt.

Yeah, I was a little upset because I managed to screw myself out of seeing the end of a sidequest with a character from the first game because I didn't realise that an objective for that quest was placed right next to what was essentially the point of no return for the endgame.

Granted, not that big of a deal since route B moves through the game pretty fast it seems. I'll probably be able to complete that quest soon enough.