Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Blazing Ownager posted:

Hey quick question, I'm not sure I heard this entirely right: Did the Red Lady admit that 99% of what she does (apparently, except shadow-assassin-womb) is bullshit and is smoke & mirrors, like throwing stuff into the fire so people think the Lord of Light is actually involved?

It seemed to be what was stated but people here talked over some dialogue.

My impression was that she has some power and whatnot but yeah there's lots of tricks as well because people are more convinced and impressed by bigbaddabooms then more subtle magic, which is also probably harder to pull off. Shadowbaby took time to gestate and seemed like a fairly intensive effort to give birth to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

precision posted:

I didn't say that. I said they were two of the worst books I have ever read. That is a valid opinion to have about anything, especially genre fiction.

We're not even supposed to be talking about the books this much, but for the record, here are writers I think are good: Irvine Welsh, William Gibson, Robert Anton Wilson, Tom Robbins, Terry Pratchett, Michael Swanwick (I would kick a puppy for an HBO miniseries of The Iron Dragon's Daughter).

edit: If you want an example of someone closer to GRRM that I actually enjoy: early Robin Hobb (the Assassin and Fool trilogies especially). Now those are good fantasy novels. IN MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION.

If you think Robert Anton Wilson and William Gibson write better prose than GRRM ... well I dunno what to tell you. You have unique tastes, I guess. If anyone deserves the backhanded compliment of "oh he's a good storyteller but is bad at the writing thing" it's William Gibson.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Cingulate posted:

The most interesting fights happened in the first season IMO. Bronn championing Tyrion, or Jorah championing Dany, or Mountain vs. Hound. They all had an idea, which is why they were interesting to watch.
Jaime vs. Bronn wasn't a fight, but a dangerous fighter beating up a handicapped guy. Good scene, but not a fight.
I especially dislike the recent fights in Essos last season, with our band of heroes murdering mooks while quipping manlyly. Asha vs. Ramsay, or Jon at Craster's Keep were boring too. They felt a lot more like action for the sake of action to me.

You left out the best fight, also from S1 -- Jaime vs. Ned

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

marktheando posted:

Are they in danger of hitting that point soon? Which book is the show on now?

Most characters are right at the end of book 3, with the exception of Sansa who just finished her book 3 arc and will presumably be going into book 4 next episode; Dany, who is into book 5; and Bran, who is into book 5 as well although his is trickier to identify precisely.

e: Brienne is into book 4 I think.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Given that there was no episode tonight, and further given that people were dissing GRRM's writing ability, if anyone is interested in reading the chapter featuring next episode's duel I found that chapter online. Obviously it will spoil the episode, so I won't link it here but you're welcome to PM me for the link. The writing for the fight is incredibly exciting and completely draws you in, it's really compelling writing imo.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

edited so as not to upset people. PM me for chapter if interested.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 26, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

From the Game of Thrones show-only wiki:

quote:

[I]n the TV series [Stannis] is not mentioned at all in respect of Arryn's actions [regarding the incest investigation] prior to [Arryn's] death.
From http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Jon_Arryn

Be aware that the above link does mention a couple of details from the books w/r/t how they differed from the book, but nothing that hasn't been brought up in the last several posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

TunaSled posted:

PMed for spillage

Somebody stop me if this could spoil future events

Naw you're fine, it's only backstory and doesn't affect anything going forward that I can think of.

• Locked thread