Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

More than just one, man. It's been at least a year per season if not more. Jon was 14 when this all started. Arya was 12.

EDIT: OP related- I love effortposts but SA really needs to incorporate those /spoilers which expand and retract. Maybe I'll post about it in the suggestion thread (like the million other people, probably).

Hahaha 14? They aged up most of the child characters. There's no way show Jon Snow is under 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Sadly its only a poll free zone. The long boring OP is necessary to remind viewers who Jaime, Jon and Reek are since apparently show watchers are retarded.

(and also to remind people of Osha and Rickon, two characters who will never, ever be seen again)

Did you miss all the posters who didn't know who Locke was when he showed up at the wall? It does serve a purpose, most viewers can't keep track of all the characters. My parents both watch the show and whenever I discuss it with them I have to explain who various characters are and what's going on.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

TBH, I didn't know who Locke was when he showed up at the wall, either. It took Bran two seasons to get from Winterfell to the Wall, so the last thing I was expecting was some random Bolton lackey to do it in an episode.

He must know the best routes to take, like Mellisandre who can travel to the other side of the continent from Dragonstone in about an episode.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Your Friend posted:

what is in store for Tyrion I wonder...

Is this some kind of veiled book reader hint? Does he become a shopkeeper?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

kater posted:

I didn't know who Locke was when he showed up at the wall. I thought he was just a dude who looked a bit too much like the six fingered man.

Then they started with the lingering shots and sinister music notes and I realized it must be a bad guy.

Who is the six fingered man?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lycus posted:

Princess Bride reference.

Ah right I haven't seen that. The only six fingered man I could think of is Hannibal Lector.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

olin posted:

So what happens to Tyrion if his champion in the trial by combat dies in the battle? Does the Mountain just immediately go over and chop his head off or something?

Tyrion would be guilty (the gods have judged him guilty by letting his champion lose) but I think it still would by up to Tywin what the punishment would be.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

the posted:

So with a trial by combat, could someone basically be the most vile and evil person ever but always get away with it because they're a proficient fighter?

I don't know about in Game of Thrones, but in real medieval times they would handicap the better fighter to make it a fair fight. As seen in this picture of a man having to stand in a hole to fight a woman-

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He went to work as Bolg in The Hobbit, but his part was cut in favor of an all-CG Bolg. There is also apparently some sort of friction between him and HBO, according to one poster.

The story I heard is that he took the part in The Hobbit, and told HBO to schedule his GoT scenes around his Hobbit work. HBO told him to gently caress off.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

precision posted:

If we're now seriously saying that quality of prose doesn't matter in fiction then please close the thread forever because what the actual gently caress.

Pretentious ivory tower intellectual spotted.

I mean I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a bunch of fantasy literature fans don't think quality of prose matters, or even know what the word prose means.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

IMDB is rarely accurate about future things, it's just user submitted information after all.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Is there any in-show indicator as to who stole Pycelle's conveniently easy-to-grab poisons, other than probably Baelish (who if anything was probably given the poison by Pycelle himself)?

Well before Jamie sent him away with Brienne they wanted Pod to testify that Tyrion sent him to buy the poison, so I'm assuming that nobody actually stole Pycelle's poisons. I'm sure Baelish has his own poison sources.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was spoiled for Joffrey's death and the Red Wedding and the 'speculation' when they were coming up was really obnoxious. "Oh that Walder Frey is a bad one to cross!" And the freeze frames of Sansa's necklace about four minutes after Joff died.

Red posted:

The first one cast really was ideal. I really can't understand why they didn't bring him back - he was thrilled to be cast.

So thrilled that he left to do the Hobbit (where he was replaced by a cgi orc). Someone in these threads said that he wanted the GoT people to work around his Hobbit schedule and they told him to gently caress off and recast him.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Who needs Gendry when we had Hot Pie this episode, the superior Arya party member?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

No More Heroes posted:

I just wanna see Sansa have a wild sex scene. Shes been married or betrothed how many times now? And never gets any booty. Meanwhile...Denaerys

I don't think the actress is even 18 yet dude.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

the posted:

How much time has elapsed since Ned went to King's Landing? It feels like mere months.

Each season is about a year.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

In the first episode, Sansa gave her age as 13. Last season, when she married Tyrion, she said she was 14.

So under two years, but probably more than one.

I assume that was a mistake, as that doesn't really make sense, since if you add up Dany and Gilly's pregnancies season one to three has to be significantly more than 18 months.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BioMe posted:

Or the different plots just aren't told in chronological order.

They seem to be though, looking at how news of events spreads. People's reactions to the red and purple weddings were generally only an episode or two after the events, except for Arya only finding out about Joffrey in this episode, but she is pretty isolated.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

doverhog posted:

Both the chronological order in which any two scenes happen and how long it is between them varies wildly.

Right, but we know from hitting those landmarks like news of wedding deaths that there isn't any storyline that's wildly out of synch.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BioMe posted:

What I am saying you probably shouldn't get too upset about timelines not making sense if the scenes are always in exact chronological order when you can easily assume they simply aren't, without it impacting most of the storylines in any way.

Unless of course you get more enjoyment about revealing huge plot holes and being very clever, in which case well done.

I don't think anyone is upset, just trying to answer that guys question about how much time has passed on the show.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Are they in danger of hitting that point soon? Which book is the show on now?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah once a medieval person got to adulthood they had a good chance of getting to old age.

Stonefish posted:

The Maesters appear to provide a wide range of inconsistent services. They can barely sterilise an amputated hand, but no-one's dick seems to fall off. I wonder how the whores manage to go more than a day on the job without getting pregnant.

Actually, no. I just remembered what thread I was in. I don't wonder that. Not here.

Well, in real life they used to make condoms out of sheep intestine...

And there was a certain plant that the Romans discovered prevented pregnancy. It was harvested to extinction.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Neowyrm posted:

If the show overtakes the books they should just diverge from them fully, and have a really wacky original ending. Then in 7 or so years they can try the show again and call it Game of Thrones: Brotherhood

Supposedly GRRM has told the showrunners how the story ends, in case he drops dead. So if he doesn't get the last books out in time, it will be time for the show watchers to spoil the book readers.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Speculation isn't spoilers. If it's the theory that Jon Snow is actually the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targarean, it was already posted in one of these threads ages ago.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Speleothing posted:

Really? That's super interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silphium

There is some debate as to how effective it actually was, or if it was a contraceptive or something that caused abortion, but that's the story.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

pigdog posted:

What was the name of that Roman condiment, like a fish sauce or something, that was so common and widely referenced as today's ketchup, but of which no recipes remain?

Garum? I think there are recipes for that though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

Unless I'm missing what you're hinting at, we already saw Stannis take the threat seriously, and that he intends to take King's Landing so he can send all of Westeros to fight rather than fight off the White Walkers with all five of his soldiers.

Worth noting Stannis only rose to the threat of the White Walkers, while the main problem Castle Black is facing is the wildling invasion that no one else seems to give a poo poo about.

That's a point. Who is in a position to give any serious opposition to the Wildlings if they just roll over the Nights Watch? In the North we have the Boltons who have what, a few thousand? Then the Freys who probably won't even leave their precious bridge/castle?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It wouldn't require them to die, they could escape and have a storyline where they are on the run, or get captured and have one where they are imprisoned.

But yes the Wilding/Nights Watch team up has always seemed to me to be the obvious 'good' ending of that whole storyline. But since this is Game of Thrones I don't expect the 'good' ending to happen! Mance seems like a pragmatic guy, but the Nights Watch leadership seem like they would never go for peace with the Wildlings.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

The king can get away with it, but he's still doing it.

Same as the Red Wedding: they violated guest right hard, but since the Lannisters are in charge, they're not held account. But they're still guilty. And we heard that story about how the gods don't like it when you break those old school laws.

I'm trying to remember who else has violated guest right. Little finger just did it, kinda. Not sure what the rules are there (definitely kinslaying though). Jaime did it. I feel like there have been more.

The hound robbing that farmer.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah show Stannis clearly learned about the incest from Ned's letter. Saying otherwise is like those posters a while back who were trashing show Cat and show Sansa because of things they only did in the books.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Loras wasn't a Kingsguard since Renly was dead and no longer recognised by anyone as a king.

Lycus posted:

I think that one's complicated because I'm not certain that Olenna knew that Littlefinger was going to extract Sansa. That means that Olenna figured Sansa would take the fall with Tyrion for the assassination because of the necklace. She's cool but Margery's well-being comes before Sansa's nevertheless.

This was way before all that, when she was scheming to wed Sansa to Loras, before she married Tyrion.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pleasant Friend posted:

And Loras would willingly become a Kingsguard for that little poo poo? Why?

Not willingly. Tywin was threatening his inheritance basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

He could have children but it's doubtful he'd live to see them reach maturity so it would do him no good.

Well yeah it's a bit late now, but it has been 30ish years since his wife died. He could easily have a few spare heirs by now if he had remarried immediately like a good feudal lord.

• Locked thread