Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

precision posted:

The problem is that it is predictable. "Here is a character that is awesome. He/she will suffer horribly." It's bad storytelling not because bad things happen to people we like, but because everything becomes telegraphed. Jaime becomes likable? Hand chopped off. Ned dies. Robb gets Red Wedding'd. It's something you have to use sparingly, and not do it to every loving character. I'm already fully expecting The Hound to die this season purely because he has become a very interesting character.

We will have to disagree that GRRM is a genius because the first two books are two of the worst books I have ever read and the fact that the show has made them into a good story is a miracle.

The character becoming likeable and then something bad happens to them is more of a television writing device / trope than a GRRM problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

echoplex posted:

New Mountain cannot act and look at him tryin' to scowl so gosh darn hard with his podgy face.

I get sad thinking about how perfect the first mountain was

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

DepoProvera posted:

Fairly new into the threads so sorry if this is a 'thing' but oh my god Littlefinger's accent is terrible. I'm really really hoping there is a big reveal that it's the character's attempt at feigning an accent. If not why didn't they let him use his normal Irish accent as he's meant to be of no reputable house.

He's the only character we've met from the region of Westeros he's from so I can give his accent a pass.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

agarjogger posted:

If you were building a wall out of magic, why would you only use ice. Why wouldn't there be some rock, or loving solid iron in there towards the bottom?

The wall is part ice, part magic

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Bobo the Red posted:

How do you even measure a year if the seasons span an unpredictable and inconsistent number of them?

They have moons orbiting the planet. They could easily measure time by the lunar cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

agarjogger posted:

I don't really care if the show passes up grrm and they have to write the rest. GRRM might gently caress up the end of the books, but I have confidence the show writers won't do the same to their work. Who knows, the seasons after they depart from the novels could be the best ones.

I'm curious why you have more faith in the show runners than GRRM?

• Locked thread