Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Gibson's no Nabokov, but he's a vastly superior prose stylist to GRRM. GRRM's gift is writing tightly plotted(at least by comparison to what's typical for the genre) fantasy that departs from the stale tropes of fantasy and which maintains a sort of soap opera feel, which makes sense given his time as a screenwriter. His characters aren't cardboard cut-outs, which is more than most genre authors can manage, but they're not very psychologically nuanced portraits nor is the dialogue particularly well-written. When GoT falters it's when the unity of action dissipates, which is why all the Yunkai stuff is so dull. Cut all the Dany stuff completely and the show still works.

regulargonzalez posted:

If you think Robert Anton Wilson and William Gibson write better prose than GRRM ... well I dunno what to tell you. You have unique tastes, I guess. If anyone deserves the backhanded compliment of "oh he's a good storyteller but is bad at the writing thing" it's William Gibson.

Gibson gets a free ride a lot of the time because he's the only genre writer (apart from maybe Phillip K. Dick) who is seen to actually aspire to a more literary/middlebrow prosody. Whether or not he actually accomplishes anything to that aspiration is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose (I think he's okay, and so does Fred Jameson, which has to count for something). I would kill for a genre writer who is as good a prose stylist as somebody like Nabokov, tbh, but I doubt we'll see one for a long time.

Just rewatching season one, and I'm amazed at how much better all the accents are. Tyrion and Jaime's were pretty terrible in the first season. I know it's an old conversation from four years ago but the action direction for the swordplay has definitely got a lot better in the last two seasons. Jaime's sparring sessions with Bronn were great. Looking forward to the trial by combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Cingulate posted:

The most interesting fights happened in the first season IMO. Bronn championing Tyrion, or Jorah championing Dany, or Mountain vs. Hound. They all had an idea, which is why they were interesting to watch.
Jaime vs. Bronn wasn't a fight, but a dangerous fighter beating up a handicapped guy. Good scene, but not a fight.
I especially dislike the recent fights in Essos last season, with our band of heroes murdering mooks while quipping manlyly. Asha vs. Ramsay, or Jon at Craster's Keep were boring too. They felt a lot more like action for the sake of action to me.

Also, the Mountain murdering starved prisoners was one of the worst scenes of the series.

However, the preview for 8 looks exciting in this regard. (Previews aren't spoilers, right?)

I wasn't complaining about the choreography so much (although I didn't like it either - they seemed to follow this conflicting logic of trying to emphasise the weight and inertia of steel while making them act like lightsabers when it suited them or when they actually stopped dueling and contacted flesh) as the direction, shooting and the actor's performances. You could clearly see that they're swinging their way through a planned choreography that was supposed to imply messiness and improvisation. They got that down a lot tighter now, especially with shooting and editing for pace. It's not really a criticism as it's an incredibly hard thing to accomplish, especially with weapons that people don't actually know that much about anymore.

The mountain shot this ep. was pretty loving terrible though. You wonder why some directors and DPs on TV have such bad ideas.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

marktheando posted:

Pretentious ivory tower intellectual spotted.

The argument that pop culture should be judged on its own merits, or by social criteria as opposed to aesthetic norms that emanate from the ruling class, came from and is still almost completely exclusive to the academy.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Goast posted:

Is this guy serious?

Sure, there are other arguments against snobbery, but that particular one doesn't really exist outside the academy (see above). Point being that the 'ivory tower' card isn't really helpful (or that accurate) in these discussions.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Making the IMDB entry right now.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Brick Card posted:

He's the only character we've met from the region of Westeros he's from so I can give his accent a pass.

Would've been awesome if they decided some part of Westeros had a bawlmore accent. I'm surprised that the one actor whose accent hasn't improved over the seasons is of all people Aiden Gillen.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Are people irritated it's a bad welsh accent? Or just that it's a welsh accent?

TITY BOI posted:

An anonymous overgrown goon who happens to have raped and murdered Oberyn's sister.

At least he didn't insult his favourite writer's prose style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

Off topic, but is "limey" considered offensive? How about "Redcoats"

Most brits are so smug in their sense of superiority they can't really conceive of other white people calling them racial slurs even when it happens to their face.

Mainwaring posted:

It's just weird at this stage, intentional or not. And it's become somewhat of a running joke by now. Honestly his native Irish accent would have worked fine for the role.

Having a dude revert to an Irish accent after assassinating the king of not-England would be a little much even for this show.

Great Enoch fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 22, 2014

• Locked thread