Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Can't believe all the book hate here. I've read a bit of fiction and found grrm to be a fantastic storyteller. He definitely has a habit of being long-winded, but his many strengths outweigh his weaker points.

The show may be a better show than the books are a book because fantasy shows are usually garbage, but the books are still incredible

Saying he's so terrible that the first chapter was unbearable is way edgy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Killing off characters isn't a gimmick, its literally a major theme in the story. All men must die. It also has nothing to do with his "career", he's written other books, has some great short story collections, and has been a professional in Hollywood for over a decade.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

The newest and 3rd actor who plays the mountain seems like he has kind eyes or something. He just doesn't give off that monster vibe that we need.
Maybe it's his pristine trimmed beard and chest hair, I don't know. This is a guy who sodomizes little girls to death. Why did they cast a guy who looks like a nicer stone cold steve austin?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

the posted:

So with a trial by combat, could someone basically be the most vile and evil person ever but always get away with it because they're a proficient fighter?

I think it is assumed that it is only valid if someone is standing accused before a court or has not yet been deemed guilty by a governing ruler. In other words, the king can still simply place a bounty on an outlaw, or sentence them guilty and strip them of land and titles right then and there.

Also Lysa demands that the trial by combat take place on the same day when Tyrion is accused. So there's definitely room for those in power to just do whatever. The main 2 rules being whoever's side wins is innocent, and people who cannot fight may choose champions.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 20, 2014

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Raserys posted:

Alright, I'm a plebeian book reader, so explain to what you mean by prose. This complaint keeps getting posted like a hot buzzword but I still have no idea what you mean by it. I know what prose is, what's bad about GRRMs? Is there an example, anything particular?

quote:

You read the books? Hah! So did I! Yeah, and they were the worst!
:goonsay:

• Locked thread