Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
agarjogger
May 16, 2011

I like the book Eyrie better where it's this lengthy, suicidal donkey ride in the pitch dark up a sheer cliff just to get into the goddamned place. Like the most uninviting place imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Wait, so per Melissandre's scene browsing her bullshit-potions, how fake is magic? There was nothing fake about the smoke demon who got Renly, I suppose. And Beric definitely took a broadsword to the shoulder. If not for the existence of the Wall, I'd forget that magic was ever a big deal in Westeros.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

kiimo posted:

I'd bet her drinking the poison was a parlor trick.

My faith would be unshaken, in that event. I think a lot of us are LoL converts since that's the only faction that wants to get the gently caress up North and fight them some white walkers. Even the Night's Watch is not unanimous on that.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

It's definitely significant, the Lannisters controlling the only fighter on the continent who approximates invulnerability. Between Jaime and the Mountain, they have probably come out well ahead on the whole trial by combat concept.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

If you were building a wall out of magic, why would you only use ice. Why wouldn't there be some rock, or loving solid iron in there towards the bottom?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

This doesn't really explain why all the accents on the rest of the show are so hosed up and ridiculous.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

I hope by the end they've conscripted all the loving peasants, mashed them against each other until every last one is dead, and the white walkers ride down leisurely with vacant stares wondering where everyone is. I really hope these insane inbred psychopaths utterly wreck this place and Essos recolonizes it.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

I don't really care if the show passes up grrm and they have to write the rest. GRRM might gently caress up the end of the books, but I have confidence the show writers won't do the same to their work. Who knows, the seasons after they depart from the novels could be the best ones.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Brick Card posted:

I'm curious why you have more faith in the show runners than GRRM?

One is absolutely committed to finishing this series, in some fashion or another before they die, and the other is not.
I think GRRM and GOT have had basically the same amount of highs and lows as far as quality, I love them both. I just don't hate the idea of them becoming two different works of fiction with a common base at some point.

I also think the show runners have a confidence and momentum that grrm may have lost in the last twenty years.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

If you guys are looking for something like game of thrones but better and funded by viewers like you, you should check out downtown abbey.

• Locked thread