Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Oh hey this thread is open again.

Thank you for the effort post op. I for one enjoy these.

MadMadi fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Fans of Hearthstone might appreciate this: http://imgur.com/a/GZYp6

Jon is a warrior card that summons a hunter card. Yes I'm a sperg.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

Next episode, Tyrion and Jaime will talk shop.

They really start to get down to business.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Oh my god.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Two weeks is too long to wait.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

ilikeike222 posted:

Amazing episode....

Everyone I watched the episode with immediately burst into singing this when he dropped that line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJlIGDImiU

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Zwabu posted:

On tonight's episode of Hot Pie's Inn, Hot Pie will team up with special guest Sansa Stark to show how to make your next Purple Wedding a memorable occasion with lemoncakes, pigeon pie, and Hot Pie's signature Wolfbread. Be sure to tune in for this special episode, and don't forget the words of the Hot Pie Inn, "Never Give Up On The Gravy!"

If GRRM doesn't finish the next book before the show catches up I would watch a filler season of stuff like this mixed in with Dance of Dragons and Roberts Rebellion style stuff happily.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

snucks posted:

I really want there to be a good reason how and why dragons are such a rarity in this universe. Do they have a short lifespan or weird reproduction issues? They don't seem like something humans can effectively domesticate or cull, so even owning/using them seems like a major problem that's going to need to be addressed at some point in the show; when you're not using them to conquer they seem like a civilization-wide white elephant.

They talk about how once they became domesticated and caged, the dragons just didn't grow as large as they used to. That combined with poor breeding lead to their gradual extinction. They say that the last dragon was a small and twisted that it could barely be called a dragon.

They also have a close tie with magic in the world. They said that when the last dragon died, the last bit of magic went out in the world. Whether this is a "chicken or the egg?" situation, or something larger had a hand in it, magic, and dragons, came back into the world at roughly the same time: when the red comet appeared and when summer ended.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

No More Heroes posted:

Gas thread ban 80,000 word OP's. With Lyssa dead does that mean Peter is Lord of the Vale? Or is that little titty-sucker Robin lord? If so I would imagine he'll be the next one out the Moon Door..

Robyn is still Lord of the Vale, and has been since Jon Arryn died, but Petyr has set himself up as whatever the non-royal equivalent of regent is.

e:f;b

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

pigdog posted:

His acting is very underrated, too.

So is his gravy.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Von_Doom posted:

I really hope this is explained at some point but who the hell would tell anyone this now that Eddard is dead as well as anyone else who would know? Varys?

Howland Reed.

MadMadi fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 24, 2014

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

No More Heroes posted:

Well I just rewatched it and the last conversation between Ned and Jon before they parted ways Ned used the words: "A Stark" and "My blood" but he never called him his son, ever. So I'm not convinced that Jon is relagated to the Wall forever and will not figure more prominently in the greater game.

It doesn't really matter. Regardless of his parentage, taking the Black means that any birthright he does or does not have is irrelevant.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Stonefish posted:

Like I said in this thread (or was it the last one), The Nights Watch is pretty much destroyed. What happens to the oath when that ancient organisation no longer exists? I doubt there's much precedent, and if there's one thing for sure, it's that the rules go out the window when enough power/gold/circumstance is applied.

I'm not sure which show you're watching but the Night's Watch is still a cohesive organization. Sure they are in a pretty dire situation, but until Mance storms the wall and burns all of their castles to the ground I wouldn't write them off as destroyed. There's only 100 or so brothers at Castle Black, but I am pretty sure Eastwatch-by-the-Sea and the Shadow Tower still have garrisons as well.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Stonefish posted:

And of course, as I put forth last time, what happens if some lord sees the threat and sends five thousand men to the wall to reinforce it? Do you think they'll want their sizeable force of loyal men to take the black? Of course not. So they simply won't. Aemon and Alliser and friends will be powerless to demand otherwise.
What happens to the organisation when 98% of the people aren't in it? It falls by the wayside.

We have seen exactly one person take Castle Black's plight seriously, so if that happens it will be pretty obvious who it is. That said, the job of the Night's Watch isnt exactly glamourous, and the Wall isn't a terribly strategic position in relation to the rest of Westoros, so any reinforcement will be a temporary one. I would say more about who has been shown to take the threat seriously, and the values that he/she holds making it unlikely that he/she will impose their will in an environment where they so clearly don't deserve it, but I might get labeled a book reader.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

I would rather Mance and his dudes be killed by whitewalkers before breaching than have the Night's Watch somehow hold them off miraculously. Unless they do the tunnel thing, though that's just a stalling tactic.

Or, I guess the wildlings can take the North, since the wildling characters are pretty much the coolest, and they'd really be taking out Ramsay and his rape gang and or the Ironborn and their rape gangs. But that would require Jon, Sam, and Sam's baby momma to all die, making their stories (and their deaths) loving pointless.

Edit: Jon Snow brokers peace with the wildlings, bam, the wall is manned as gently caress

Haha, like Stannis has values. Maybe he did, before he started using loving black magic to kill his own family, or killed his family because they wouldn't convert.

Stannis has the most consistent values of anyone we have seen. He puts justice before everything. It's the reason Davos is so loyal to Stannis. Everything he has done has been to claim what is his by right. Sure the methods are messy sometimes, but he has never done anything in the show without both fair warning, an opportunity for his opponents to surrender/convert and a legitimate claim on whatever he is trying to take. He is probably one of the most predictable characters in the show right now as a result.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Lycus posted:

He wants to put justice before everything, but he puts his reclaiming his birthright before justice in reality. He recognized that assassinating Renly wasn't the just thing to do.

Renly was usurping the claim to the throne from Stannis and refused to swear fealty to him. Death is pretty standard judgement in that situation. The method of execution was lovely, yes, but that was justice.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

His "respect for the law" is horseshit. He declared his nephew (the legally rightful heir to the throne) illegitimate on the word of a traitor. He has a code, but gently caress if he doesn't rewrite it to be self-serving.

Are you RPing as a Lannister or just being obtuse? As pointed out we as viewers know better than that, as does much of the realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

On the topic of back stories the show didn't get to, I am slowly making my way through the books and the things Lord Hoster Tully says on his deathbed really flesh out why Lysa is the way she is. I mean, drat.

It actually makes her a sympathetic character, instead of just a crazy woman. It was just on my mind since the thread keeps poppin up with "I wish I knew more of the backstory on X..."

• Locked thread