Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
More than just one, man. It's been at least a year per season if not more. Jon was 14 when this all started. Arya was 12.

EDIT: OP related- I love effortposts but SA really needs to incorporate those /spoilers which expand and retract. Maybe I'll post about it in the suggestion thread (like the million other people, probably).

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

CPFortest posted:

Yeah, the Game of Thrones wiki states that Jon is about 17 when the series starts.

(It's because of THE SEX) :a2m:

Clarification: I'm a filthy book 1/2 reader.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 18, 2014

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
According to the book wiki (:supaburn:) Robb dies when he's 16. Hella time dilation up in this bitch.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Yeah. "sporting".

New mountain is cool. He doesn't have the chiseled, ugly features of the first mountain, but he may actually be better than the first one. He may not know how to swing a sword but he sure as hell looks better doing it. A lot of these people don't know where to put their weight so having a body builder who spends their time swinging heavy things around makes a lot of sense, actually.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

snucks posted:

A lot of CGI that blurs the line between realism and fantasy plays too conservatively and ends up looking both boring and unfeasible. S4 Eyrie does neither and whoever drew up this shot deserves an award.

The first one looked pretty great when all the kingsguard armor was plastic and before the dragons and direwolves had any real size to them.

Hedrigall posted:

I like this version of the Eyrie:

More Westerosi castles here, no spoilers: http://imgur.com/a/rZ4AG

Those are some pretty great drawings, but the only design that looks smart might be sunspear and the Red Keep. What is it with people and designing approachable walls? Dragonstone and the Eyrie get bonus points for hard-to-get-to, though.
Really great interpretations, though.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 19, 2014

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

IncendiaC posted:

I miss King Robert :smith:

Man I've got this awful feeling that he won't make it, but Tommen would be an awesome king :unsmith:

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

dont change my name posted:

This whole season is bad. The writing is bad, the directing and because of that - the acting.

I'm really disappointed in this show now :(

The beginning of the season really sucked (with the exception of episode 2). It's only starting to ramp up now, which is super disappointing. I feel like it almost should've just gone from episode 2 to episode 5. That's it.

EDIT: This is starting to feel like the Christopher Nolan batman movies.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Legerdemain posted:

New Mountain was in that Vice documentary about Icelandic strongmen and was the only guy in the whole film that needed subtitles. I'm having fun playing the "how few lines of dialogue can they get away with" game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A7woRoVwyM#t=753

The bad guy in No Country for Old Men couldn't even speak english when he did the roll. All they need is someone to make sure they've got someone who speaks a common language to teach him how to say each word. It's hard but based on the last episode I think he's gonna be alright.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Criminal Minded posted:

Your point is probably fair since the Mountain has so few lines, but that can't be true about Bardem; I remember seeing him in a small (but wordy) English-speaking role in Collateral a few years before No Country for Old Men came out.

Wait, really? :confused: I could've sworn he didn't speak english until after that role. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else...

Anyways, new mountain'll do fine. He'll deliver 30 seconds of dialogue total, throw a guy across a room and turn him into a pile of blood, and then Oberyn will stab him to death. Grunting is the real universal language.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Great Enoch posted:

I wasn't complaining about the choreography so much (although I didn't like it either - they seemed to follow this conflicting logic of trying to emphasise the weight and inertia of steel while making them act like lightsabers when it suited them or when they actually stopped dueling and contacted flesh) as the direction, shooting and the actor's performances. You could clearly see that they're swinging their way through a planned choreography that was supposed to imply messiness and improvisation. They got that down a lot tighter now, especially with shooting and editing for pace. It's not really a criticism as it's an incredibly hard thing to accomplish, especially with weapons that people don't actually know that much about anymore.

The mountain shot this ep. was pretty loving terrible though. You wonder why some directors and DPs on TV have such bad ideas.

Pretty much all of the swordfighting has been bad, but at the very least the action has been exciting. Syrio Forel was legitimately doing a good job with selling the whole Braavosi waterdancing. I think my swordfighting friend mentioned it was like Italian Rapier fencing? I don't know, but he's the only one who moves fast enough. All the other actors look like actors wearing props way heavier than they're used to. If you imagine the Brienne/Loras fight had been going on for about 20 minutes before Catelyn walked in, it actually looks really good, comparatively.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
HBO is pretty tight-lipped too. I mean, we know Tyrion is still alive by episode 10 because his name is in the description of that episode. So IMDB tells us some stuff, but they're not getting as much information to publicly release as most other, non-HBO companies will throw at them. We can also tell that episode 9 is about the battle between the Night's Watch and the Wildings because it's also literally in the IMDB description.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
He's been the looming "scary dude" since the middle of season 1. First he burned villages in the riverlands, and Ned Stark ordered his head brought to him. Season 2 he's torturing prisoners to death, Season 3 he's back in the Riverlands, and people (idiot groom of the Red Wedding) will do whatever it takes to drive him back/kill him. I don't think he could be any more infamous than he is right now.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

All men must be banned.

All Mods must serve

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Regarding the show catching up with the books: isn't there a time skip at some point? That'd be the perfect time to take a year or two off.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Shadow posted:

EXCUSE ME?

oh no a thing

MrBims posted:

In the books there is a time skip forward a few years so the kids are all growed up later on because GRRM realized after a few books that it was really implausible for Jon to be a grizzled warrior at twelve years old (also it made all the sex scenes really weird).

Yeah, exactly. Stuff like that. It'd give some of the younger actors (like some of the ones that are still legitimately children) a while to grow up or look older without murdering the makeup department.

Also, I can't goddamn stand the whole "split a season into two parts" trend that's taking off. It means you've got two climaxes and two cliffhangers to write midseason, and it totally wrecks the pacing of some series that do just fine without it. Yeah it made sense in Breaking Bad's last season, but I don't think I'd be able to tolerate it in this one, not unless they seriously condensed and expanded different parts of the chronology.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 24, 2014

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Lycus posted:

You can just use the stars.

Little known fact, Westeros has just as much light pollution as Earth.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Are we TOXXing the fight now? Put your :10bux: where your mouth is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Fozzy The Bear posted:

TOXXing over something that you can find the results with google?

Fastest way to get the book complainers banned.

• Locked thread