Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

bUm posted:

"Jorah is a large middle-aged man, swarthy and very hairy. He is balding, but still strong and fit. Daenerys Targaryen considers him not particularly handsome." - ASoIaF Wiki

By the books (at present show time): Jorah is ~45±1~3 (birth year not known), Dany is 16, Littlefinger 32, and Sansa 14.

Don't worry, he's in a better place not being in the trenches of the game of thrones.

Don't underestimate the ability of tyrannical leaders with effectively (or literally) slave labor to build something grand.

Edit: The Eyrie is an extreme, "fantasy" example, but many real castles and the Great Wall of China very much defy our modern intuitive sense of getting so much material up a mountain/large hill.

Posts like these are interesting to me. I am currently avoiding the books due to not wanting to be spoiled and just being a bit busy with ~other things~ and figure I'll start reading them at a later date. But if you book readers want to give us little tid bits about "where we are" with some filler details from the books, I personally would love it.

I'd hope the rest of you clowns agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

precision posted:

If Oberyn gets defeated, Tywin better STOP THE drat MATCH before the Mountain kills him or I will hate GRRM even more than I already do. Introducing a character that cool, nuanced and potentially important only to off him so quickly would be lovely writing even for GRRM.

I hear a lot of this criticism about GRRM on these forums. Most people who I've actually talked to who have read at least the first book seem to really like it. Is it pretty much, you either love his writing or you hate it? Or is it just one of those "goons being goons, don't mind them" kind of thing? And hey, been a goon a while myself. So I "get it." Rage only means we care harder.

The man tells a good story end of the day. Killing Oberyn off early would suck royally I agree! Why introduce a character that cool, nuanced and potentially important only to off him so quickly? Because that would be mean he's a loving genius and Scheherazade (aka GRRM) has ways of torturing us for the next couple of years with this "Fun and entertaining television" show.

It's a soap opera. They all are. You know it, I know it. Everyone loving knows it. It's just written better, acted better, pulls at our stupid, childish fantasy heart strings, and everyone's just raging on GURM because he's good at it. He just better live long enough to finish it up, otherwise whoever else steps in would either go fan focused and go with "HAPPY" or not have the vision and drag it out until we have a show with Tommen and the loving cat as the main characters. Searching for mice each day in ol' King's Landing.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

snucks posted:

I really want there to be a good reason how and why dragons are such a rarity in this universe. Do they have a short lifespan or weird reproduction issues? They don't seem like something humans can effectively domesticate or cull, so even owning/using them seems like a major problem that's going to need to be addressed at some point in the show.

I dunno man. Being born with the assistance of some blonde chick in the desert within a bonfire seems kinda like rare occurrences to me.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I like knowing that poo poo. Thanks!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
We haven't seen Walder Frey in a while. I'm thinking he's due for an appearance by episode 9.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Maybe GOT has been slow to update future episode casts in order to not inadvertently give away a spoiler?

At least that's what I'll be holding on to. Not having even one scene with him this whole season would be a mistake.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
:ughh:

So...... anyway, last week's episode was nice. It was really emotional seeing Tyrion's reaction to Oberyn's story of their first meeting. And while it continues to expose what a gigantic bitch Cersei is, it also told us that Jaime's been Tyrion's protective older brother and has loved him since the very beginning. Then again when wanting to get him laid (though that didn't end well). And then again when he challenges Ned and his posse due to Cat kidnapping Tyrion.

Tyrion should be nicer to Jaime. He really does care about him. :)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Fugue Stater posted:

This was one of the best episodes of the series, as it had so many great well-acted character moments that were consistent with their relationships and really make the show come alive. Tyrion-Jaime and Tyrion-Bronn were very nice capstones to those couplings and Tyrion-Oberyn was sublime. Hot Pie's send-off was a surprisingly good callback, and I like his choosing of what to say in public vs. private. Sandor + Arya was great, as usual, and they revealed more of Sandor without going back on his character. Even Alliser + Jon + other Night's Watch was decent, showing us the middle management culture of a guy like Alliser, who's not actively evil, but feeling insecure and threatened and acting totally understandably given his tenuous position.

There were some clunkers, like Gregor's silly scene, and Dany's scenes in general, but overall this is the kind of episode that makes the show. The big flashy eps are only interesting because they are set up so well by moments like the ones here.

Yeah, echoing posts made already about the Mountain, that was some of the most annoyingly over-the-top camera work the show has done. It was beyond unnecessary and flat out cheesy. Hmm, how do we make this 6'9 guy seem tall next to this 5'6 or whatever woman?

CAMERA TRICKS!

Seriously, upon a second viewing, all I could think was "Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum"

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
She's the rightful heir to Winterfell. I don't really understand how Roose Bolton could be given dominion over land on the one hand, and Tywin talking about Sansa's children inheriting Winterfel with Tyrion being Regent until that happens.

Which is it? Am I mixing up timelines?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Let's pretend this didn't happen. I already forgot.

Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 23, 2014

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Spoiling minor plot points that don't take away from the main story is definitely not a huge deal. It's just that it becomes a slippery slope when defining which are "acceptable" and which aren't.

The true issue I think people in this thread have are that there are just too many idiots that take sick pleasure in spoiling poo poo for others. It's a really terrible quality to have, even though at the end of the day, it's not a life or death situation. It's just a sign of being an rear end in a top hat.

I have some European friends that are notorious for spoiling movies. Though for them it's seemingly unintentional or cultural perhaps. They'll tell you about some great movie they just saw at the theater and proceed to explain in detail all of the twists and outcomes, while you sit there and explain to them that they've now taken the appeal to watch the movie away. A movie or show is about the journey more than the destination. But when the destination is spoiled, it makes the journey less of a pull.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Bobo the Red posted:

How do you even measure a year if the seasons span an unpredictable and inconsistent number of them?

It's funny, but this brings up a good question of why the seasons are of variable length? I'd love to see this theoretical trip around the sun that this planet is on and how it rotates both on its access and in terms of hemispheric proximity to the sun.

Or you know, magic.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Pong Daddy posted:

People have come up with detailed explanations of this planets orbit that would explain the seasons. GRRM responded with a statement that basically said "You dumb nerds, it's magic".

So yeah option 2.

lol

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Bobo the Red posted:

Say that again, but with a sword through the back of your throat.

Sansa almost certainly won't. Her whole journey has been "learning to play the game". No way she's gonna rat out Littlefinger, the guy who just saved her. Though I guess it would be funny if after all his scheming, Littlefinger died to the naivete of the girl he's projecting his obsession on. I think Sansa will be the one who gives Littlefinger his due, but not just yet. But with this show, anything goes. Maybe the Moon Door isn't done just yet.

Yeah, there's no way in loving hell Sansa sells out Petyr here. It's probably his script that she's reading off of in the first place to ensure the guilt doesn't stick to him.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Regarding the show catching up with the books: isn't there a time skip at some point? That'd be the perfect time to take a year or two off.

EXCUSE ME?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Drifter posted:

I think clearly this show should split a season between two years, like what they did with Breaking Bad and Mad Men. The more time between each episode means the more time we have to savor the episode prior.

It is the only way.

God gently caress you.

But I agree. I hated it when Mad Men or Sons of Anarchy (... before it, well, let's not go there) would take ages to hit Netflix. With HBO GO, this is not an issue. Half Seasons of 6 each though.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

I did enjoy this. Thanks!

Last Chance posted:

This is dumb. Why do I want some nerd making up some crazy bullshit science reasons for a fantasy adventure setting? I think he's missing the point of fantasy in that you're not supposed to overanalyze and ruin the fantastic things by overthinking them.
You be quiet.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I'd say anything from the show is ok. Personally I like some of the book back stories but don't want to be spoiled so I don't google or check the other thread.

If it's on a DVD extra then I think we can be sure they won't spoil future plot lines.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
My god.

This thread needs a new episode.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
The Hound killed her innocent friend because of Joffrey. Pretty sure he's on it for that reason.

Edit: then they killed Sansa's direwolf because they couldn't locate the one who bit Joffrey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Bobo the Red posted:

Well, sure, but he was working (and it was before she started the list). It's not like she hasn't killed innocent boys too!

Yes, but that's why the Hound was on her list. The first time she sees the Hound since King's Landing with the Brotherhood Without Banners she mentions him killing her friend.

• Locked thread