Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Criminal Minded posted:

GRRM is a good storyteller. He is not a good prose writer.

I think this is pretty apt. There's a distinct style and tone to the writing that's just not going to translate as filmed content. The plot can be 100% identical, but it'll still feel different because we're not privy to the same internal monologue.

I tried reading the first book and just couldn't engage with the written style. But I love the show. I don't think that's an indefensible position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Drifter posted:

They should have spent some time dirtying him up. I don't understand why he's got zero 'environmental' makeup when he's supposed to be this evil, dirty motherfucker.

I really liked the look of the first Gregor. He just oozed skeeze and rage and evilness.

Yeah, could they really not do more, make-up-wise, to make him scarier and grungier? He was very clean in this scene, and it didn't do much to offset how obviously young the actor is.

If he had more scarring and wrinkles and other make-up effects added, it'd do a lot to make him older and more menacing. I definitely share the opinion that, despite obviously huge, this guy looks super jovial and nice. Like, in some alternate universe, he could almost play Hodor.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

poirot818 posted:

Ian Whyte sounded like Christopher Lee.

[Tywin scene from Harrenhal]

I'd forgotten how much I loved the Tywin / Arya interaction in that season. It's actually a great counter-example to the argument that new plotlines written just for the show are bad; my understanding is that Arya never met Tywin at Harrenhal, and that whole plot was new.

You might not have liked the Mutineers arc this season, but Charles Dance and Maisie Williams were an awesome pairing that I'm thrilled we got to see.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

thathonkey posted:

I dont know what spoilering-through-speculation incidents are being referred to but to play devil's advocate is it not possible people guessed the events?

Last season, I suspected Robb might die because he was doing <insert dumb thing> after <insert dumb thing> but i wasnt necessarily expecting it to be at the wedding. I guess depending on the level of detail in the speculation it would be obvious..

I also suspected Robb would die. Not because I'm so smart, but because they literally had a scene where his wife tells him she's pregnant and they celebrate how perfectly happy they are despite millions of enemies on all sides, and this is Game of Thrones where happiness goes to die. Then assholes from this thread sent me PM's telling me to gently caress myself and die. It's possible for people to make inferences about plot events without having read the books. This isn't a complex Swiss watch of a series.

It was not a complex puzzle to sort out that Oberyn and the Mountain were going to fight, either. Oberyn's primary motivations are pansexual orgies and killing the Mountain. And they recast the Mountain this season with a very physical actor, and the episode preview following Tyrion's request for a "trial by combat" prominently featured the new actor. Where else was that going to go?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mance is arriving at the speed of plot. The only way I can see the Wall not falling is if the white walkers get in the way.

Mance will show up just north of the Wall in the finale, his army eating Slim Jims and slurping giant Coke Slushies.

TORMUND: "Where the gently caress were you guys?"

MANCE: "7-Eleven on Pico. You didn't text; what's up?"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Shadow posted:

Yeah, there's no way in loving hell Sansa sells out Petyr here. It's probably his script that she's reading off of in the first place to ensure the guilt doesn't stick to him.

Sansa hopefully realizes, for her own sake, that she needs Littlefinger even if he's a weird creep and a murderer. He has reasons to protect her, and is powerful enough to actually do it. In literally any other place in Westeros, she'd be identified as Sansa Stark and brought to King's Landing as an accomplice for regicide, or worse. Winterfell has burned to the ground, and every adult member of her family is dead; she has no options and no friends anymore.

Brienne is coming to get her, but she doesn't know that. And even Brienne can't help her politically...she's a bodyguard.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

mattmuffinman posted:

In the books you are told who was present when Ned met his dying sister. One of those people is still alive.

Also, there are multiple characters who experience surreal visions from the Beyond. The show could introduce these plot points in any number of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Bobo the Red posted:

If Tywin wasn't a hateful hypocrite, and he'd simply been nice to Tyrion, who is as adept at the game as he is, if not more, the Lannister name would be safe, and the war likely would've already been won. Tywin discarded his greatest asset, and it looks likely to loving ruin him. And it's loving great.

Definitely true. At this point, I'm convinced Tywin knows exactly how capable Tyrion is, and his hatred is motivated by pure spite. For all the criticism of Tyrion's whoring and drinking, Tywin still trusted him as Master of Coin, and must know that Tyrion saved King's Landing from Stannis. He knows he's competent and capable, regardless of his hobbies. And Tywin must also know that Jaime and Cersei - who aren't dwarves and have had no disadvantages in life - are even more flawed and unreliable.

My pet theory at this point is that Tywin doesn't even hate Tyrion for being a dwarf; he hates Tyrion for killing his wife. Otherwise, it does seem strange that a pragmatist like Tywin wouldn't have remarried and fathered more children in the intervening ~30 years. He may have truly loved his wife, and nothing Tyrion can possibly do will fix it.

(I also think that Tywin doesn't actually want Tyrion to die, just to go away. As you said, he must know that Tyrion didn't kill Joffrey. He just wanted an excuse to send him away; the deal to send Tyrion to the Wall and to pull Jaime from the Kingsguard was a total win-win for him.)

• Locked thread