Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I'm so creeped out for Sansa. Lysa almost gave away that Little finger is a big reason why her whole family is dead, but she did it in a crazy way and Sansa is so drat naive.... She might be all up on those little fingers before Arya or Brienne come by

MadJackMcJack posted:

Welp, Cersei hosed up again. Tyrion's on the ropes, she's bought off Bronn, Jamie can't fight for poo poo and everyone else is looking forward to Tyrion's impending death. She could send in Trant to chop Tyrion into little pieces, but instead goes for the grand spectacle of having The Mountain do the deed, since it's not like there's someone around who's been talking about killing him since they got to King's Landing.

Should be interesting once Tywin hears who is Tyrion's new champion.

I almost think Tywin suggested it. As much as he hates Tyrion, he absolutely can't risk his only heir dying. He knew Oberryn would step up, and at least give him a shot (and also make Oberryn like him more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Why do people think Tyrion will come out with nothing? If Tywin could just disown him, he'd have done ages ago, and if he did it right after Tyrion was proven innocent by the gods (effectively granting his wrong accuser his inheritance), that would look real bad...

qxx posted:

Hmm, not sure that The Hound is still hell-bent on ransoming Arya at this point, or it seems like that is becoming less of a thing as their 'friendship' is developing. I think Brienne and Pod will run into them. Brienne will be all, "Sworn to return her to safety" and The Hound will be all, "She is safe. gently caress off" and then poo poo will get awkward[ly violent].

His commitment to ransoming her has always been balanced with the fact that he insists on taking her to her family. He could've taken her to the Lannisters, who are richer and nearer. He's been protecting the Stark girls since season 1; he just also happens to need money

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 19, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

precision posted:

Why do people think it's creepy for Littlefinger to like Sansa but not for Jorah to like Dany, Jorah seems older than LF for sure and Dany is younger than Sansa for sure as well.

e: wait no, Dany is 2 years older right? Sansa was 14 and Dany was 16 in season 1. Still, Jorah's like 45 and LF seems 40 maybe

Both are creepy, but only one of those dudes is an position of power over the young girls they're weirdly into. Jorah is pining for Dany, but he respects/fears/loves her too much to be a threat (plus she has other allies and dragons). Sansa is pretty much at Littlefinger's mercy, and he has orchestrated events to make her think he's her only friend.

Which does leave the delicious notion that if Sansa ever does find out what Littlefinger did, she is gonna loving snap. Sansa is too much of a Stark to not have knifed someone yet.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I'm rooting for Tyrion and Davos to run away to Essos together, one for "killing" Joffrey, and the other for saving that little girl from her crazy rear end mom and Red Boobs. Go Team Sane, Mostly Decent Guys in Insane Settings. Obviously, they'd be accompanied by Brienne and Pod. Sansa and Jon can come too.

But Davos is probably not gonna survive this next defiance of the Red God's will :( Or worse, he'll be too late and then lash out.

Kinda think getting us this pumped for Oberryn means he's gonna die. Think he won't take Tyrion with him, though. Tywin can't afford to lose his heir (and I'm still dreaming of a Varys plan that even remotely matches Littlefinger's crazy plans, only nicer), so Tyrion will be spared, or escape, or 'disappear'. Perhaps he'll even end up as the Lord of Casterly Rock? They've been talking an awful lot about what will happen to the kingdom when Tywin dies....

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 20, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I think the only thing worth knowing about the books is that GRRM meant to time skip, but didn't, which is why everyone is so young, and yet book readers are mad all the sex and murder scenes are with near adults vs definitely still children

Evernoob posted:

Anyway back to the show: That combat is going to be episode 8. So what will happen in the usual episode 9 peak episode?

Tyrion getting out of King's Landing (win or lose, there's nothing for him there). Something bad preventing Arya and Sansa from reuniting (obviously). I also think a major bad is likely to get shanked, probably Tywin, but maybe Sansa is about to grow some agency.

Theon helping take that fort, which will make Ramsay and Roose so happy they'll murder a few whores each. Theon will continue to suck.

Democracy at the Wall, because obviously they need a for reals leader before the big army comes (it won't ever get there, but that will be ep 10).

Bran and company continue their journey. Maybe Meera fucks Bran (insert awful warging Hodor possibility).

Brienne and Pod might die since they are too cool to live.

Edit: Maybe we will see Davos saving (or trying to save or avenging) that girl, and likely dying or having to leave for it. It'd be more exciting if sacrificing the princess is actually when Stannis wakes the gently caress up and realizes what Mel Red Boobs is turning him into, and ditches her (but that won't happen because Stannis loving sucks). There would be something funny if the last king of the 5 kings living turned out to be Ineffective Greyjoy, theoretical lord of rape and pillage.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 20, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Shadow posted:

We haven't seen Walder Frey in a while. I'm thinking he's due for an appearance by episode 9.

I hope Walder Frey is a character that pretty much existed to facilitate the Red Wedding and then disappear. Maybe he can come back much later so Arya can knife him, but he really has no purpose otherwise.

I do wanna see Roose Bolton come back and try to rule the North.

Macaluso posted:

As a show only watcher, I was under the impression that most fans on either side thought Cat was an idiot? I mean Robb was an idiot too by betraying Walder Frey, but he was also right when Cat was worrying about getting Arya and Sansa back and he goes "It's more complicated than that, you know it is!". Like, I understand her actions. She's a desperate mother who just wants her girls back. But her actions are also stupid and cost them a valuable hostage.

Cat was dumb, and also a dick. She put Robb in a super awkward position by releasing Jaime (ultimately costing him one of his bannermen, whose crime was kinda lesser than Cat's). Also she cut that girl's throat at the Red Wedding out of spite. Girl had nothing to do with it, and Frey obviously gave no fucks, so she just did it to be petty.

Being a Stark or a Tully seems to be a recipe for terminal stupidity (Benjen excepted). Stark kids are fighting some big odds (only Sansa is really fighting those odds, the others are leaning in to it).

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Wildling army is definitely and totally dead by White Walkers. I think what the Night Watch see as an attack, will be the few survivors running hard.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Dunno thinking some events which unfolded before that may have affected her judgment

Yeah, but the girl had nothing to do with it, and she knew killing her wouldn't accomplish anything at all. What is that except spite?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

BioMe posted:

She swears on everything that unless she gets her way she will kill the girl and is just laughed at while her last son is murdered right there over his womb-stabbed pregnant wife.

Beep-boop, why isn't she acting rational about this?

I'm not saying I expect her to be rational. I'm saying it was a dick move.

I know the Starks are pseudo-protagonists, but that doesn't mean that Cat killing a girl for no reason doesn't kinda make her an rear end in a top hat. Same with Arya, and even Bran.

MrBims posted:

A crime of passion, which would probably be a very viable defense if she were in a modern trial.

"I was scared and angry, so I killed a lady who was next to me (who was scared and innocent)."

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
You probably can only get a trial if you're noble enough that executing you outright is awkward (and as we saw with Ned, a crazy enough king/lord can probably skip it if he wants). Although it's possible Ned would have gotten a trial if he hadn't agreed to confess.

The Insect Court posted:

The Cat hate from goony GoT fans is almost as bad as the Skyler hate was with Breaking Bad. At least Catelyn had a good reason for releasing Jaime, and her plan made sense given the Lannister obsession for paying their debts. There's nothing unrealistic about a prisoner exchange in GoT, the objection to it seemed based mainly on the desire for revenge on the part of some of Robb's men. Robb, on the other hand, throws away a vital alliance and helps to precipitate the Red Wedding by ditching his arranged marriage with the Freys for no better reason than wanting some Braavosi strange.

There isn't anything wrong with prisoner exchange. But there is a problem when you're exchanging a prisoner that isn't yours for people you don't even know are alive. She undermined her son at a time where they really could not afford it, and ultimately gave the Lannisters their golden boy back for nothing. She didn't know if either of her daughters were even alive (or in Lannister hands) when she released him.

Robb's actions were certainly worse, and are what actually got him and his mother killed (well, that, and the Freys violating the most sacred rule in Westeros). His stupidity is far more obvious, and so it doesn't get brought up as much.

Those actions aren't all that defining to me. Lots of characters have done stupid things and are still likable. Ned, Tyrion, Davos are all characters I like that have acted in stupid ways because they were acting emotionally. I don't like Cat because her dying act was to murder an innocent woman. Sorry if that's "goony".

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Jojen Reed vs his impending death. Kid's so sickly, and they are going to some harsh places.

Away all Goats posted:

Melisandre said last season that the 'true battle' was in the North, which could either mean Night's watch vs Mance's army or humanity vs white walkers.

I think she said that more in a "we gotta get this war of 5 kings bullshit done so we can deal with the real trouble". I would be confused (and pleasantly surprised) if they just circumvented King's Landing and went to the Wall. That would make the upcoming princess sacrifice a little bit more of a grey area....(and would offer an alternate survival scenario in case the wildlings actually do arrive)

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 20, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

No More Heroes posted:

I gathered from the whole Melisandre scene that she wants to use Shireen to make another shadow babby? That just might be the straw that breaks Davos' back.

Well, the accepted method for getting a shadow baby is beyond Shireen's reach.

I think she's gonna do to her what she wanted to do to Gendry. Kill him in some likely firey way for some unknown gain (maybe shadows, maybe fire)

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Rejected Fate posted:

Ned took his vows seriously :colbert:

...Well maybe except the marriage one that one time.

Nah, he kept that one

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Lycus posted:

Of course, Tommen could give it to a Lannister of his choice, like Robert gave the Baratheon seat to Renly after he became king. It just wouldn't be Tywin's line like Tywin wants.

Pretty sure he gave it to Stannis. Renly's claim to the throne was 100% illegitimate and only worked at all because of his charisma.

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. Robert was a dick.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 21, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Azzents posted:

And I hope they stay that way in both books and show. Give them no Bond villainesque monologue about their fiendish plans or have the Night's Watch find some ancient tome or forgotten diary explaining their origins. The only things we should know about them is that they want to kill everyone and bring on an eternal winter.

Hell, maybe that's not even what they want (after all, they may need human babies to reproduce). But we shouldn't learn that either.

Edit: Guys don't worry so much about the new Mountain, he has a pretty good chance of being very dead very soon.

Even better than everyone else, I mean.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Yeah, the Mountain has suffered a bit from being off camera a lot. Probably works better in a book format to have a character just be talked about. That's certainly why they had that stupid rear end scene: to reintroduce the character (with new actor) and making him seem "scary". Except it looked loving stupid.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Is there any in-show indicator as to who stole Pycelle's conveniently easy-to-grab poisons, other than probably Baelish (who if anything was probably given the poison by Pycelle himself)?

I don't think so. There's barely reason to believe it happened at all. Littlefinger would be unlikely to source his poisons that way, since it adds a layer of risk.

Pycelle probably didn't help Littlefinger though. He seems to be pretty pro-Lannister (he helped keep the truth from coming out).

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
How do you even measure a year if the seasons span an unpredictable and inconsistent number of them?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Well it's pretty interesting how they foreshadowed the upcoming Oberyn v. Mountain fight by pretty much setting each fight scene this season as being one of speed vs. strength. The Hound says strength wins but Jon lost to The Legend Of Gin Alley.

Say that again, but with a sword through the back of your throat.

Durzel posted:

Preview question:

Do we think Sansa will actually rat Petyr out? The preview makes it look like an obvious "opposite of what you see" switch, but Sansa seems to be incapable of not making stupid calls, so who knows?

Sansa almost certainly won't. Her whole journey has been "learning to play the game". No way she's gonna rat out Littlefinger, the guy who just saved her. Though I guess it would be funny if after all his scheming, Littlefinger died to the naivete of the girl he's projecting his obsession on. I think Sansa will be the one who gives Littlefinger his due, but not just yet. But with this show, anything goes. Maybe the Moon Door isn't done just yet.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 23, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Regarding the show catching up with the books: isn't there a time skip at some point? That'd be the perfect time to take a year or two off.

It would be supremely strange to have a time skip at this point (and taking a year off would be a terrible decision for a tv show)

I think GRRM planned a timeskip for the books but then didn't do it, which is why everyone is so young.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
You guys should probably stop posting book spoilers. They're not supposed to be in here, even tagged.

I hope the twist is that Lyanna wasn't sure whose baby it was, and so Jon is definitely an heir to the throne, but oh no by which line?

Then he tries to calm a dragon and gets eaten, white walkers win. Tyrion rules over one of the free cities.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

bUm posted:

If you're referring to my post:
I don't follow how it's really a spoiler when it's a dream dreamed by a long dead man (Ned); it's literally impossible for it to happen in the show.

Yours wasn't really the issue (though as I said, this thread is supposed to be book-free).

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Jon Snow is really quite probably not Ned's son, but his nephew, and heir to either the Baratheon throne or the Targaryen one. Unless the whole thing is a hilarious red herring GRRM put in.

I really doubt he'd ever take the throne. He wanted to forsake his vows for his family, but learned not to. I doubt after a while longer in the Night's Watch, he'll then forsake it to be king, especially since he'd be pretty obviously an enormous deserter and oathbreaker (that Ned would behead in a second if given the chance).

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I would rather Mance and his dudes be killed by whitewalkers before breaching than have the Night's Watch somehow hold them off miraculously. Unless they do the tunnel thing, though that's just a stalling tactic.

Or, I guess the wildlings can take the North, since the wildling characters are pretty much the coolest, and they'd really be taking out Ramsay and his rape gang and or the Ironborn and their rape gangs. But that would require Jon, Sam, and Sam's baby momma to all die, making their stories (and their deaths) loving pointless.

Edit: Jon Snow brokers peace with the wildlings, bam, the wall is manned as gently caress

wisdomHNOX posted:

...and the values that he/she holds making it unlikely that he/she will impose their will in an environment where they so clearly don't deserve it, but I might get labeled a book reader.

Haha, like Stannis has values. Maybe he did, before he started using loving black magic to kill his own family, or killed his family because they wouldn't convert.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 25, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
His "respect for the law" is horseshit. He declared his nephew (the legally rightful heir to the throne) illegitimate on the word of a traitor. He has a code, but gently caress if he doesn't rewrite it to be self-serving.

Lycus posted:

Stannis himself called it "murder". So he doesn't consider the assassination to be justice. It's the reason why he was so insistent that Davos not talk to him about it at all after it happened. Stannis is torn between wanting to be king and wanting to be just.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that whatever Stannis's code is, the Red lady has been leading him to violate it, and he's getting pretty uncomfortable with it. There's no way he would've hired a regular assassin to kill Renly. But breaking his code is what's keeping him in the fight, so he keeps doing it.

He won't let Davos talk to him about it, because Davos is the last bastion of sanity on Dragonstone, so Stannis simply can't risk listening to him.

Should be interesting to see if what appears to be coming, Melisandre wanting to sacrifice his daughter, will make him wake the gently caress up. Or if he'll let her do it and then have a crisis. Or Davos will step up and save her, and when Stannis has him burned, he'll see how far he's fallen.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Well, since this is about the show, and what we saw on the show was Stannis claiming to be heir because Ned sent him a letter, I still call bullshit. Joffrey was, legally, the son of Robert Baratheon (beccause Robert, the king, accepted him as such), and the guy who sent the letter to Stannis was a. found guilty of treason and b. publicly recanted his claims. Stannis should have sided with the crown, instead he sided with himself.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

wisdomHNOX posted:

Are you RPing as a Lannister or just being obtuse? As pointed out we as viewers know better than that, as does much of the realm.

I know. You know. The viewers know. Stannis can only know because Ned told him, and as I said, Ned recanted it. If Ned's word is sacrosanct, then his recantation has to count too. All I'm really saying is that Stannis is full of poo poo. He claimed the throne because he wanted the throne.

gently caress the Targaryens. Using their bullshit magic dragons to take Westeros. I hope Dany loses hard.

Mescal posted:

Was that how it worked in the Targaryans' reign too?

Pretty sure they started it. Everywhere else in Westeros does boys first, then girls. Targs are extra sexist

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 26, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Dangersim posted:

Do you really think Stannis couldn't have figured out what was going on there?

Of course he could. That's not really the issue. People were talking about how Stannis has this consistent code about following the law (which is why he chopped Davos's fingers off like an rear end in a top hat). I think if he had such a code, he wouldn't have rebelled on someone's word, especially not someone who was labeled a traitor and then recanted his accusations. According to the rules (and the information he had) Stannis should've stayed put.

Stannis went with it because he knew Ned was likely trying to do the right thing, and because hey, this way he gets to be king. He used his personal judgement instead of "the rules". Which means he's not just a kinslaying jerk, he's a hypocrite.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Dangersim posted:

The point your missing is that according to the law he is the rightful king, this is not just Ned's word, most people accept this ( that Robert has no trueborn children.)

He would be the rightful king if the kids were known to be Lannister bastards. They are widely thought to be that, but the fact is, Robert gave them his name, and never questioned their legitimacy when he was alive, so Joffrey was as rightful a king as you could hope for, coming from an usurped throne. Stannis only challenged their status on the word of someone who was found to be a traitor. They don't magically become illegitimate because an honorable guy said they were (and then took it back, publicly). I imagine there has to be some burden of proof for such an accusation.

If delegitimizing was as easy as hearsay, when/if Tywin dies, someone could just say Tyrion was a bastard (since he looks nothing like his siblings/parents), and then inherit Casterly Rock. Maybe it is that easy, in which case, Stannis is acting according to his code, I guess. Except the kinslaying, that part I'm pretty sure was a big breach.

I'm just mad he gets Davos on his team. Davos is too cool for Dragonstone (and seems fated to die saving people from Melisandre). I just want Tyrion, Varys, Davos, and Jon to get together and save Westeros (from Dany).

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

mastajake posted:

Not to say he was justified killing Renly, but I don't think kinslaying is a "thing" for kings. They aren't held to the same standards.

The king can get away with it, but he's still doing it.

Same as the Red Wedding: they violated guest right hard, but since the Lannisters are in charge, they're not held to account. But they're still guilty. And we heard that story about how the gods don't like it when you break those old school laws.

I'm trying to remember who else has violated guest right. Littlefinger just did it, kinda. Not sure what the rules are there (definitely kinslaying though). Jaime did it. I feel like there have been more.

Edit: The Night's Watch mutineers, duh

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 26, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Pleasant Friend posted:

I had thought/assumed slaves built the wall like every other crazy piece of near impossible architecture in this show. But this thread makes me believe White Walkers built The Wall, which would make sense since they have an ice city thing going on.

Maybe they built the wall.... [shocking twist]to keep something OUT!![/shocking twist]

Westeros don't do slaves. Not even the Rape Islands. I believe the best explanation we have is "a wizard Stark did it"

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Mescal posted:

According to one source, groundbreaking television programme Game of Thrones will make another unprecedented move by featuring two black actors, both presumably playing black characters... let's give them credit for that.

I want one of these black actors to play a Targaryen in the whitest of white-faces

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'd love to see the sigil of House Seaworth duking it out with the others in the opening titles. The Lion, the Wolf, the Dragon... and the Onion.

Onion is in a much better position to fight than the Wolf these days....

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
What happens if the big fight ends in a tie (which I guess could only happen if they both die)? Is Tyrion still guilty? Innocent? Mistrial?

I'm hoping one of the Stark daughters will get going on something. Arya's list is shrinking a lot while all she does is recite it. Also, I just remembered, she has the Hound on it because he was on the dais when Ned got chopped, right? But so was Sansa. Not that I think Arya would kill her, but that leaves room for Arya to forgive the Hound. Which would probably be good, because he and Tyrion are the only people who have shown a noncreepy interest in keeping those two alive (and maybe Varys, though who knows what that dude is up to).

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Well, sure, but he was working (and it was before she started the list). It's not like she hasn't killed innocent boys too!

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I was pretty sure the original list was created from the people who were up there when her dad was killed, because it doesn't include a bunch of people that it otherwise might (Jaime Lannister being the obvious choice, for killing a bunch of Stark guards she certainly knew for years and crippling her dad). Mostly , I don't Arya killing the Hound, because he's the more interesting one of the two "path of redemption" characters.

I forgot she killed Polliver, making it so she has officially contributed to removing list members. I'm a little bummed.

bUm posted:

No love for Yoren who stopped Arya from getting herself killed at the beheading and tried to return her safely to Winterfell? Nevermind that he taught her the whole pretend to be a boy that kept her alive well after he no longer was.

Syrio? Tywin who put Joffrey in his place upon arriving (knowing Sansa was valuable)? Lady Olenna who tried to get Sansa out of King's Landing via another wedding (even if it was inconsistent story-wise since Kingsguard can't marry)? Jaqen H'ghar? Beric & Co?

Yoren is dead (otherwise I'd also count Ned and Cat Stark). Syrio was both being paid, and also is probably dead.

Lady Olenna straight up set her up to take a regicide rap (or at least didn't give a poo poo if she did or not). Jagen was a weirdo assassin who owed her a debt and was perfectly willing to leave her to rot/die as freeing her did not fit within the scope of repaying that debt. Beric & co have proven themselves to be assholes just like everyone else, seeing as they literally sold Arya's friend to a blood-sacrificing witch, and would have done the same to her if Melisandre asked.

Tywin? Are you kidding? He maybe was amused by Arya, but the minute he figured out who she was, he would've put her in a dark place and figured out how to best use her in his hilarious "I've actually planned and schemed so much it has started to backfire" plot. Same deal with Sansa, he kept Joffrey from hurting her too much because he wanted to use Sansa (like for example, by forcing her to marry his son he hates for political gain). Nothing creepy about that?

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 29, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Apoplexy posted:

Just a dumb aside: Syrio could not have possibly gotten paid for saving Arya. He knew nobody would dare attack her unless Ned was somehow indisposed, and Ned was the one paying him. He saved her entirely on his own, which is why he was so heroic.

I'm not sure he was in on the inner workings of King's Landing enough to know that, but fair enough.

He's still pretty likely dead, and certainly removed enough from the story to not count towards the people out there who are protecting the Stark girls.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Drifter posted:

Last remaining seconds in that episode, you mean. :colbert:

Season 5: Arya goes to Braavos, is reunited with Syrio and Jaqen (maybe they are the same guy), and trains to be a sword-dancing faceless lady. Her scenes are all training montages, and becomes even more boring than Dany and Sansa's stories have ever been. Jon Snow has somehow stopped the wildling attack (or maybe the whitewalkers did), and is working on how the gently caress he's gonna hold this drat wall while also helping Sam be a dad, and dealing with his mean boss and angry girlfriend(sitcom style). Bran and friends continue going north, except that one kid definitely dies because look at how sickly he is (it's cold!), Sansa is essentially Lady of the Vale, having gotten married to Robin and/or Littlefinger, or she joins the Hound, Brienne, and Pod on a merry quest to... I guess Castle Black? They have sorta burned through all of the places where it is cool to be a Stark. Is Riverrun still standing?

Stannis and co actually become a credible threat ($$$), Davos is either dead, or we are all wondering why the gently caress he is still on team blood crazy. Maybe they take out the Reach, since the Tyrells just broke guest right, and have it coming. The Lannisters are hosed because it turns out that being horrible to everyone is an awful long term plan; Tyrion fucks off (or escapes, depending on how the trial goes) to Dorne or Essos, because why the gently caress would he be anywhere near this poo poo, his scenes become him just chilling with naked ladies and smoking cigars. Varys spends all day just rubbing his temples from the endless headaches. Theon still sucks, and the war in the North between two sides who ideally all just die continues.

Dany is still on the other side of the world, loving the inferior Daario and being mostly pointless.

Edit: in case it is not abundantly clear, this is all speculation because I'm bored; I've never read any of the books. Don't read the custom title of this dude below me (or do the smart thing like the OP says and turn them all off), since that may be a spoiler; I have no idea if any of it is right.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 30, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Mide posted:

Arya makes it to Braavos at the end of the season and is greeted by Syrio aka Jaquen. She will train and become a super killer assassin over the time jump between seasons and we will see her during the aftermath of all her training at the start of the new season.

"You'd think more people would come to us for training. It takes 2, 3 months tops!" -Jaqen in a deleted scene

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Angela Christine posted:

She grew up in a hard land, but she was sheltered from most of it. She'd never seen a real winter, only heard stories. While her brothers were expected to have to make life and death decisions some day, and even the youngest had to watch father execute a man, the girls were not. Her only responsibility was to marry well (which would be arranged for her) and eventually raise noble children. Do needlework. Be pretty. Don't get fat. Don't gently caress the stable boys.

Did Rickon watch that opening execution? I thought they took Bran and it was implied to be his first one.

bUm posted:

Apparently people didn't read what I quoted very closely. Keeping them alive for ransom or for titles is not creepy: it's logical, intelligent, and makes absolute sense in the Game of Thrones universe (you win or you die; if you're upset by characters making selfish/logical choices over "happy ending" ones, you've come to the wrong place). Also alive or dead is of little relevance whether or not they helped keep them alive (in a non-creepy manner) whilst they were able.

Yes.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that keeping them alive for ransom or titles doesn't make sense, but it does disqualify you from counting as someone that's looking out for that character. I originally listed Tyrion and the Hound because they are the ones who have gone out of their ways (and endangered themselves) to protect the Stark girls, and are still alive to perhaps do it again. The ones who are dead are no longer potential allies.

If that answer is spoiled because it's from the books, you shouldn't give it at all. I was asking if we knew what is going in Riverrun in the show (I can't remember). If we do, the spoilers aren't necessary.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 30, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Yeah, the marriage to Cersei is to tie the Lannister and Tyrell names. Though, in a way, it kinda further continues to endanger the Lannister name, since Jaime is out, Tywin loving hates Tyrion, and Cersei's possible children with Loras could be heirs to Casterly Rock but not the Iron Throne. It's not really clear how the inheritance works if someone is heir to both one of the kingdoms AND the Iron Throne, since Robert was the first one to do it (and he just had his brothers ruling in his name), and his succession issues were taken care of by the wars. It seems reasonable that Tommen would defer it to his non-royal siblings.

Who do Lannisters hold to be Lord Paramount of the Stormlands, anyway?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

As someone pointed out much earlier in the thread, Tywin is not yet past the age where he can have children, and yet that never gets brought up as a possibility.

Tywin seems like a cold and calculating badass cool guy, thanks to Charles Dance. But he's actually a huge, hypocritical dick.

Oh yeah. He's all about doing what's right, and marrying for power, but he obviously married some no name (as her name is never brought up) because he loved her, and refuses to marry again. Her death is certainly why he hates Tyrion too. The dwarf thing just added insult to injury.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

bobkatt013 posted:

We have seen that Tywin is trying his hardest to get Jaime to leave the Kingsguard and return to Casterly Rock. He may hate Tyrion, he might not hate his kids with Sansa. It is possible that they would get it, if everything did not go to hell due to Emma Peel.

He's literally trying to kill Tyrion (or exile him) right now, leaving no room for possible grandchildren. If Tyrion's children inherit Casterly Rock, it validates Tyrion by proxy, and Tywin is not likely to be into that.

His entire gambit is getting Jaime out. That's probably the real motivator for marrying Cersei off. Way easier to get Jaime out of King's Landing if she has to keep up appearances again. But there's no guarantee that it will cause Jaime to leave the Kingsguard (leaving the Kingsguard is really looked down on; not cut your head off looked down on, but still; also he really loves Cersei for some ungodly reason). Making that deal with Jaime was Tywin's ideal outcome, but that option is gone, and the Lannister name is in serious jeopardy.

Which especially amusing since they have gamed their way into being the most powerful family in all of Westeros, largely through Tywin's doing. He got so close to what he wanted but is also on his way to losing the only thing he still really cares about, the family name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I wonder if Stannis & friends can go around Westeros unnoticed and get to Castle Black? Seems kinda weird, but it would add a great deal of weight to Stannis's claim if he was the only one who followed the call the Night's Watch made and helped save Westeros. Maybe he'll even snap out of his blood magic ways when she tries to knife his daughter, since he seems to have a (relatively) soft spot for her. And then he can go south and kill all those jerks in the North.

Stannis Baratheon, King in the North?

bobkatt013 posted:

As I said due to Emma Peel, the idea of Sansa's kids inheriting it is impossible. He did seem to want Sansa to get pregnant after their marriage as he saw it at the time the only chance for his name to continue.

It's hardly due to Emma Peel. Tywin knows Tyrion is innocent, and everyone with a lick of sense is aware that Sansa is incapable of such a thing, because she currently lacks the demeanor and the resources. He was willing to use Tyrion to have Lannister kids when he didn't have a way to get rid of him, but this chance was too good, and he hates Tyrion too much, to pass it up (plus he knew he could likely get Jaime back through it).

If Tywin wasn't a hateful hypocrite, and he'd simply been nice to Tyrion, who is as adept at the game as he is, if not more, the Lannister name would be safe, and the war likely would've already been won. Tywin discarded his greatest asset, and it looks likely to loving ruin him. And it's loving great.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread