Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

bobkatt013 posted:

I think we are saying the same thing. I was pointing out that if Joffrey never died then it would be possible for Sansa's kids to inherit Casterly Rock. It also does not matter if everyone knows they could not do it, Cersei does and making sure they will be blamed. Its not just if Tywin was nicer to Tyrion everything would be better, its seems that Tyrion has poisoned the relationship between Cersei and Tyrion as they are viewed by him the same.

Tywin 100% could tell Cersei to shut up and leave Tyrion alone if he had any interest in it. He could even do it to Joffrey, who was much dumber and didn't grow up in his shadow. He's letting Cersei be spiteful to Tyrion because he feels exactly the same way.

Also, Tyrion didn't poison his relationship with Cersei. Cersei hated him from the day he was born (as we were told once again by Oberryn last episode).

Edit: Also, i think their hypothetical kids would still have a claim on Casterly Rock, since Bran, Rickon, and Sansa all retained their claim on Winterfell after both Ned and Robb were named traitors.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was due to Tywin telling Cersei that Tyrion killed her mother from the day he was born?
I also agree that he is allowing it to happen since he can use it to his advantage. Before the wedding Tyrion kids could be useful to carry Tywin name, after the wedding its a way to get rid of Tyrion and get Jaime to father kids. He is also getting a king that will listen to him more. Was there any upsides to keeping Joffrey alive to Tywin?

It's definitely possible that Tywin's attitude towards Tyrion helped her hate him, but she's also always been pretty hateful (and Jaime still likes him). Tyrion talked to her about when she had a 9 year old maid beaten so badly she lost an eye. Cersei was also 9 at that time. It also seems unlikely that a grief stricken Tywin mourning his wife would take the time to go to his daughter at all (he's a sexist, too, remember?), let alone to tell her to hate Tyrion. I think they just reached the same conclusion.

Joffrey being dead is pretty much the best outcome for everyone in Westeros except for Cersei and crossbow manufacturers. But as we saw, killing him was awkward, as killing any king is, so Tywin wasn't going to do it, since Joffrey was crazy but also mostly controllable (especially by Tywin). I guess it's also pretty bad for Tommen because it has increased his chances of dying to like 88%.

Xealot posted:

My pet theory at this point is that Tywin doesn't even hate Tyrion for being a dwarf; he hates Tyrion for killing his wife. Otherwise, it does seem strange that a pragmatist like Tywin wouldn't have remarried and fathered more children in the intervening ~30 years. He may have truly loved his wife, and nothing Tyrion can possibly do will fix it.

(I also think that Tywin doesn't actually want Tyrion to die, just to go away. As you said, he must know that Tyrion didn't kill Joffrey. He just wanted an excuse to send him away; the deal to send Tyrion to the Wall and to pull Jaime from the Kingsguard was a total win-win for him.)

Oh, Tywin definitely was super into his wife. Nothing else explains being so into power-brokering marriages and staying single, and hating his son so godamn much. The dwarf thing just makes it easier.

I think Tywin wants Tyrion dead, but not badly enough to risk the only thing he still loves, the family name. Or to pass up a chance to ruin him and get his preferred heir back.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

bUm posted:

Sure.

Thread turned south after the episode excitement/interest/humor died and it got super-spergy anyway... but then got pissed at even a slight mention of the books, even if it's literally pre-story stuff that the show also considers canon. Nevermind how upsetting mentioning the books is when people literally ask questions about them/only answerable with them.

If it's stuff that was changed in the show, that's fine (a la Stannis argument... though the viewer knows the truth, as do the majority of Westerosi... even by the show :3: [as evidenced by 4/7 regions raising banners against the incest bastard and only 1/7 standing with]). But most of it seems petty and misdirected at nuances omitted simply because of storytelling medium.

Lastly, I don't see why encouraging him that Sansa eventually becomes a non-poo poo reading experience is upsetting. God -oooon forbid one encourage reading. If you're upset about it spoiling something, it's not. Her King's Landing stuff is boring (just like the show) and gets more interesting afterwards (just like the show). Literally nothing was revealed that wasn't already known in the show.

P.S. I honestly thought the people complaining about poll/long OP were joking because there was no way people could be that awful when the forums bring you to the next unread post. I am now thoroughly convinced that I was wrong; as wrong as I was when thinking historical tidbits you'd only know from reading the books might be interesting to show viewers.

If someone asks something we don't know about in the show, the answer is "we don't know".

Saying Sansa gets more interesting is a spoiler, because it tells me, for example, that Little finger is highly unlikely to kill her next episode. Which is probably fine, I doubt anyone really thought that. Except someone is gonna gently caress up and say something that does spoil things, and the only way to prevent that is to keep book chat out entirely. It's not that it's not interesting, it's that you can't know what may or may not come up on the show, and some people want to experience it unspoiled.

There are other threads to talk about the books in. The OP includes a list of people to PM if you want just that one spoiler. If you can't separate your viewing of the show from your reading of the books, then this might not be the thread for you.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
He could, however, probably have picked up a real sword from one of the dudes he knocked out, and then just won.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Mescal posted:

Something hit me the other night. There was the sisterrape scene with Jaime and Cercei, and it didn't really serve as a big character development moment (or didn't seem to try to,) or catalyze anything. She's probably pregnant from that. Those two are pretty fertile together and pregnancy would do interesting things to the story.

That's because the show people are so used to writing gross sex that they didn't know they were shooting a rape, so there's no way there can be fallout.

Cersei is far too smart to get pregnant while she's not married. You'll notice she's friends with the Grand Maester AND that ex-maester Jaime brought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

God, she's the worst

• Locked thread