Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The first Mountain was fantastic and had a huge amount of charisma. This new guy pretty clearly got the part because he is a giant bodybuilder.

This has not been a perfect season. The raid scene on the Dreadfort felt like a rushjob. The entire Dany story arc has turned into endless filler, and not the interesting kind. And overall, a lot is going on to test the limitations of a TV show budget.

The acting makes up for the deficiencies and then some. I could watch Aiden Gillen and generally all of the people playing Lannisters all day.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MadJackMcJack posted:

Welp, Cersei hosed up again. Tyrion's on the ropes, she's bought off Bronn, Jamie can't fight for poo poo and everyone else is looking forward to Tyrion's impending death. She could send in Trant to chop Tyrion into little pieces, but instead goes for the grand spectacle of having The Mountain do the deed, since it's not like there's someone around who's been talking about killing him since they got to King's Landing.

Should be interesting once Tywin hears who is Tyrion's new champion.

Tywin's smart enough to know that the situation was hosed as soon as Tyrion gave a monologue.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Decius posted:

I doubt the little poo poo will survive the first day of becoming of age.

Littlefinger is still the only one protecting her. Without him she would probably fly right after her aunt on behest of Robyn.

The Eyrie is so weirdly deserted lately that she could probably put Robyn on her shoulders and carry him screaming to the moon door before anyone even noticed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shath Hole posted:

Yeah, that shouldn't actually be a question. There is no comparison that Littlefinger's creeper status is way above Jorah's.

Also I seriously doubt Littlefinger feels actual affection for Sansa and didn't just play both her and Lysa to set up an actual confrontation.

E: Also, most of the characters in the books are about 10-20 years younger than they are portrayed here, with a few exceptions. I'm really glad they aged various characters, avoiding teenybopper drama or the idea that Eddard and Catelyn were old hands at lordship, having reached the ripe old ages of their mid-thirties.

That's about as book chatty as I want to get, other than to say the book's version of the Eyrie is hilariously inaccessible.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 19, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I got the feeling we got what amounts to a sendoff for the Bronn character, which makes me a little sad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

No matter what results from the duel, the Lannisters are left with more enemies and a succession crisis (or at least, they will diminish, becoming a minor house), their last hope being that Cersei cranks out ever more babies and/or Jaime decides to leave the Kingsguard. Not good chances.

Nothing Tywin deserves more than to see his house fall to ruin. But then again, deserve's got nothing to do with it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I like GoT because I can sympathize with almost every character, or failing that, see things from their point of view. There's a total psychopath here and there too, of course.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xealot posted:

I think this is pretty apt. There's a distinct style and tone to the writing that's just not going to translate as filmed content. The plot can be 100% identical, but it'll still feel different because we're not privy to the same internal monologue.

I tried reading the first book and just couldn't engage with the written style. But I love the show. I don't think that's an indefensible position.

I'm at the end of the first book and I think the show is a lot better than the book so far. So cheer up, people who are jealous of the BOOK-READERS.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Having read only the first book:

GRRM's sentence structure tends to need a little work, he occasionally over-uses ellipses (i.e. uses them ever), and all of the characters are written as one-dimensional, as opposed to the nuanced performances we get out of the show (with the help of a very occasional new or slightly different scene).

In the first book, the Lannisters are cartoonishly arrogant villains (although nothing is written from their POV and I am sure that will change). Many characters come off as being dumber than a bag of rocks. Ned looks like a total moron and is actually told that he is a moron by pretty much everyone on the small council. Rather than being forced into each of his decisions by circumstance or even by his idea of honor, he comes off as objectively dumb, always having an Option Smart and an Option Dumb and doing the latter. Catelyn is no better; in the show she comes off like the voice of reason, in the book she is impulsive and anxious.

It's easy to criticize the writing from my armchair when writing novels is a lot of work. But I generally think the show elevates the material, combining strong writing and acting with the strong world and overall plot arcs.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 20, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't really get why people consider GRRM wordy. But then I'm an English major and have read Actual Wordy (which is not someone I wish on anyone). GRRM is pretty straightforward writing in my opinion. Occasionally characters speak using unusual diction.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KamikazePotato posted:

For the record I do think the first season of the show is straight-up better than the first book. The first book in the series is also in my opinion the worst-written; while GRRM has some issues with pacing later on his prose gets better with every book.

Unfortunately the show has lost a lot of the detail and nuance that made the storytelling so potent in books since then. It was detail and nuance that would probably be impossible to show on screen considering everything that happens, but it's still a bit unfortunate. The adaptation is overall fantastic but so many small cool things that really added to the story were lost along the way (and there's some big things, like The Mountain's entire character).

It's perfectly fine if people dislike the books, I just think the situation is kinda funny as generally the scenes that TV-only people love are ripped straight from the pages while the scenes they dislike are filler. I have a high tolerance for prose if the story is good but GRRM's prose was never THAT bad to me.

He's not a bad writer. We're kind of talking about this in the current climate, which is that "Game of Thrones TV Show is really good, therefore GRRM is one of the Great Authors!"

I hear people say "he's too wordy for me" all the time, on the Internet and elsewhere. I can't really think of a time where I heard "he is actually the worst."

Name Change fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 20, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ironlung posted:

Shouldn't the Wildling army be getting to the wall any minute now? What is the goddam hold up? In the time since Ygritte and Tormund left the main army with Jon, their little band has had time to scale the wall, plunder in the north, wound Jon Snow, meet up with the Thenns, and plunder some more. Jon has recovered, went back 60 miles north, rooted out the mutineers, and came back to the wall. Still no sign of the main army. What the gently caress are the Wildlings doing? Don't they have a giant undead army on their rear end? Shouldn't they be hurrying? Are they all dead, eaten by ice zombies?

I looked at a map, Craster's is equidistant from Castle Black and the Fist of the First Men, which I believe is where Sam shat his pants when he saw the WW army at the end of season two. Something doesn't add up. Is the White Walker army in between the Wildling army and Castle Black?

Between this and Dany's storyline jogging in place for three loving seasons it does get a little tiresome.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

the posted:

So with a trial by combat, could someone basically be the most vile and evil person ever but always get away with it because they're a proficient fighter?

If anything's for certain in the GoT universe, it's that justice is a sad joke, so probably.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What happened to that guy?

He went to work as Bolg in The Hobbit, but his part was cut in favor of an all-CG Bolg. There is also apparently some sort of friction between him and HBO, according to one poster.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think the season two guy was there for like two seconds of non-speaking part?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TunaSled posted:

You have a problem with it yet you quote the whole thing over two posts? You loving idiot.

I think we all realize that the OP being 80,000 words of info you can get more accurately and quickly from the Game of Thrones Wikia (spoiler free!) is a running joke.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TunaSled posted:

But the perfect way to protest scrolling past it is to make everyone scroll past it again? Just as bad as the OP you pretend to hate.

You are being trolled, hth

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

No More Heroes posted:

LF is a pommie oval office.

What the gently caress is a pommie?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pretty much the Vlad the Impaler of GoT.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is there any in-show indicator as to who stole Pycelle's conveniently easy-to-grab poisons, other than probably Baelish (who if anything was probably given the poison by Pycelle himself)?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All men must be banned.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Essentially, if you see someone in the thread "speculating" by dropping a spoiler of what actually happens (which is something that has happened in the past), you should report them or PM a mod so they can face the king's justice, and leave the thread out of it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mance is arriving at the speed of plot. The only way I can see the Wall not falling is if the white walkers get in the way.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

It takes me hours to defrost my freezer and the ice is only an inch thick. The Wall is like a dozen foot wide and 700 foot tall. It would take Mance months to do any significant damage, and even then, the Wall repairs itself constantly.

Yeah well first he will have to actually appear, let's not start counting the chickens.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lycus posted:

I don't know if the writers are quite sure about how much time they want to have passed. This season Littlefinger said that Sansa was tormented by Joffrey for "years".

It's definitely not a few months. Dany went through most of a pregnancy over the course of S1.

From what I understand, different parts of this season happen in different books. Could that have an effect?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

EccoRaven posted:

They have at multiple points used "years" to describe the events on the show; Petyr tells Sansa Joffery tortured her for years, Cersei saying she hadn't seen Myrcella in almost a year. It's a weird compromise to the reality that it takes RL years for the show to run its course, but in the books presumably the events happen over far less time.

That their planet has weird-rear end seasons doesn't help though. So it's no longer summer, but, now I guess we're in years of autumn? Shouldn't the trees eventually change their leaves? Will the show have to start airing in the summer to account for filming in the fall??

Best not to think too hard about it.

The basic seasonal setup is that they have summers and winters of unpredictable length, measured in years, and not much in-between. Scientifically-speaking, this would blow a real-life meteorologist's mind, I'm sure.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

EccoRaven posted:

Well there has to be something in between, because if summer is over, then winter has already come.

But then again:

It's also difficult to figure out why everyone is skeptical of anything even moderately supernatural, even though:

1) Everything outside of Westeros is HERE THERE BE DRAGONS and is lousy with wizards and other crazy nonsense

2) Aforementioned dragons

3) There is a giant wall of ice that they all figure just appeared on its own or was built by BRAN THE BUILDER, I guess

4) Pretty much every Night's Watch ranger can tell you all about giants and other crazy poo poo

5) The "Others" is a common curse word (replaced in the series mainly with white walkers)

6) Every major house seems to have a strong knowledge of history going back thousands of years, which includes some pretty crazy poo poo happening (there was an actual Age of Heroes when most of the D&D poo poo went down)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bobo the Red posted:

How do you even measure a year if the seasons span an unpredictable and inconsistent number of them?

Probably by astronomy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Stannis actually discovered that Cersei's children were illegitimate before Ned did. This is why Stannis left King's Landing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bobo the Red posted:

Well, since this is about the show, and what we saw on the show was Stannis claiming to be heir because Ned sent him a letter, I still call bullshit. Joffrey was, legally, the son of Robert Baratheon (beccause Robert, the king, accepted him as such), and the guy who sent the letter to Stannis was a. found guilty of treason and b. publicly recanted his claims. Stannis should have sided with the crown, instead he sided with himself.

In order for this to be so, he has to assume that Eddard is lying, which is a tall order based on Eddard's reputation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

At the last moment, the Mountain is about to finish the Viper, when suddenly the Viper's manager, Tyrion, hits the Mountain in the back with a chair. The Mountain turns around but then the Viper gets him in a surprise roll-up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The wall is the work of Bran the Builder, the founder of House Stark (the eldest of all the great houses), who lived 8,000 years ago. Given that this was in the Age of Heroes, which is when the setting more resembled Dungeons & Dragons and people did cool hero stuff all the time, presumably he had a lot of interesting help (giants)/a wizard did it. This makes sense, since the wall is hundreds of miles long and hundreds of feet high, and features several serious fortifications in probably the shittiest, most difficult place in Westeros to build fortifications.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Show Sansa stops being awful more or less as soon as Eddard dies but I'm in book two and her chapters are still intolerable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

Sansa is awful, but I don't know how much you can really hold her accountable for. She's a young teenager. She's not even had her first period at the beginning of the story so right in the middle of puberty/hormonal insanity. Most of us were pretty awful at that time of life.

She grew up in a hard land, but she was sheltered from most of it. She'd never seen a real winter, only heard stories. While her brothers were expected to have to make life and death decisions some day, and even the youngest had to watch father execute a man, the girls were not. Her only responsibility was to marry well (which would be arranged for her) and eventually raise noble children. Do needlework. Be pretty. Don't get fat. Don't gently caress the stable boys.

Nobody taught her what to do if she is betrothed to a murderous lying sociopath. Most kids wouldn't know how to deal with that. We want to punch Joffery from day one, but initially he shows her a different face. She expects the man she marries to be very much like her own father, basically a good man, because she was never ever exposed to bad men.

In light of what she knows and expects from life, her actions aren't that bad. She knew her sister and the butcher's boy could be punished, but she'd never imagined he'd be killed because Winterfell doesn't punish children with death for getting into fights. She'd never even imagined the wolves could be killed.

Sansa is written really well in the book and is a good character. But just like the show, she is upstaged by the Lannisters and... Pretty much every other story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

If Loras is made Kingsguard then the Tyrell name would be dead, since he could not have any kids. Cersei is also useful as a way of making political alliences, since they have not said she is past child bearing years.

As someone pointed out much earlier in the thread, Tywin is not yet past the age where he can have children, and yet that never gets brought up as a possibility.

Tywin seems like a cold and calculating badass cool guy, thanks to Charles Dance. But he's actually a huge, hypocritical dick.

• Locked thread