Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

precision posted:

Why do people think it's creepy for Littlefinger to like Sansa but not for Jorah to like Dany, Jorah seems older than LF for sure and Dany is younger than Sansa for sure as well.

e: wait no, Dany is 2 years older right? Sansa was 14 and Dany was 16 in season 1. Still, Jorah's like 45 and LF seems 40 maybe

Dany was at least 17 at the start because it was 17 years since Robert's Rebellion and the beginning, and she had to have been alive for that. Sansa on the other hand was 14 at the end of Season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Having read only the first book:

GRRM's sentence structure tends to need a little work, he occasionally over-uses ellipses (i.e. uses them ever), and all of the characters are written as one-dimensional, as opposed to the nuanced performances we get out of the show (with the help of a very occasional new or slightly different scene).

In the first book, the Lannisters are cartoonishly arrogant villains (although nothing is written from their POV and I am sure that will change). Many characters come off as being dumber than a bag of rocks. Ned looks like a total moron and is actually told that he is a moron by pretty much everyone on the small council. Rather than being forced into each of his decisions by circumstance or even by his idea of honor, he comes off as objectively dumb, always having an Option Smart and an Option Dumb and doing the latter. Catelyn is no better; in the show she comes off like the voice of reason, in the book she is impulsive and anxious.

The show didn't even explain why she would ever trust the Lannisters enough to think they would actually swap her girls for Jaime. I have to wonder why all show-only watchers don't think she's the biggest idiot for that. Or maybe I'm wrong. Do you all completely understand why she would think the Lannisters would be sincere with their trade?

Also almost every bit of dialogue and conversations that this thread loves comes word for word out of the books (Ex: Tyrion's courtroom speech, Tyrion and Bronn, Tyrion and Oberyn, Cersei/Sansa during the Blackwater episode) and almost every part that the thread complains about and thinks it's stupid was totally invented for the show. Any time there's a lot of people calling something filler or pointless in this thread, chances are that's a show addition.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Rejected Fate posted:

As a book-reader, a lot of the best dialogue is pretty good in the books but becomes excellent in the show - this is not because of the show-writers or even really that much because of the direction but because GoT has some A-star talent. Tyrion can be fun in the books, but GRRM's dialogue alone can't capture the charm Peter Dinklage brings to the screen.

Also there's a lot of really great moments that are show-only, especially some of the thread favourites. I really don't want to point out too many of them because it might lead to some conclusions that wouldn't occur if book-chat wasn't happening but Arya and the Hound seems to be everyone's favourites at the moment and most of that's new. And there's a lot of things like that. There's also a lot of things that are less bad in the show than they were in the books.

Of course there's lots of things better in the show. But in every episode that I can remember, the scene and dialogue everyone that gets the biggest positive reaction here is something that's word from word from the books while the scenes that get the biggest complaints are totally new. Usually the spoiler thread is complaining about the same things.

I'm not saying which one is better than the other. I'm just saying how bizarre it is for fans of the show to say he's a terrible writer. Or a good storyteller but bad at prose.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

BubbleGoose posted:

Well sure, if you're case goes to trail. But if you're condemned right then and there, you don't get the option. Ned Stark never got a trail.

Neither did Ned give one to the Mountain when he sentenced him to die that time Robert was out hunting.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

pigdog posted:

If GoT doesn't get the best drama Emmy this year, given what we've seen already, there's no justice.

You realize it's going up against the final season of Breaking Bad? In terms of acting, cinematography, music, sound, editing, emotion, I haven't seen any area that GoT is better than.

I've wondered more than once what would the BB show runners have done with Got's story. Would we ever have had something as weird as Yara giving a big speech only to run from the dogs Monty Python style?

• Locked thread