Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
This game is apparently -50% on Steam.

I don't give a poo poo about the story and less than poo poo about any of the multiplayer features. If I just want a sandbox for random single player fuckery ala GTA, is this game worth 30 bucks? Should I buy Goat Simulator instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Honest to god wait for GTA5. WD is extremely mediocre.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Aight, thanks, that Goat MMO Simulator looks pretty cool anyways

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

As a sandbox, Watch_Dogs gets old quick and is extremely limited, and multiplayer is pretty much dead anyway I think. Goat Simulator also got old after about ten minutes for me, but YMMV.

GTA V is a good bet, even though Rockstar made some truly incomprehensible decisions in its design. Hopefully they'll be mitigated somewhat by mods on PC if they don't gently caress that up, too.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Majority of GTA5's missions just kick you in the balls and laughs in your face.
You want money from the towing job? BWHAHA NO, suck it NERD.
Heists? Only 3 out of the 6 pay money, and that's where most of your cash in the whole story is made.

At least in Watch Dogs you get to laugh at Autistic Batman.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Fewd posted:

Aight, thanks, that Goat MMO Simulator looks pretty cool anyways

It is just that though, a simulator. Not a real MMO :cripes:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Eh, I disagree that the open world stuff sucks. Popping open all the weapon caches/finding the serial killer/unlocking all the towers was super fun. And the gunplay was actually really good once it clicked for me, better then the gunplay in the GTA games at least.

The only problem I really had with the game was that the story wasn't very good ( but eh, no video game story is ), and the cars handled like hot rear end.

Like who gives a poo poo that Pearce is unlikable/isn't consistent, few video game protagonists ARE likeable/consistent, so it's not like this breaks any real trends. Around midway through the game I just stopped caring about the story stuff and 100%ed the gameworld stuff, still got 20ish hours out of the game, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Never did finish the main story stuff, but eh.

If you want a competent but not amazing open world game, Watch Dogs will scratch that itch.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 27, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Fewd posted:

This game is apparently -50% on Steam.

I don't give a poo poo about the story and less than poo poo about any of the multiplayer features. If I just want a sandbox for random single player fuckery ala GTA, is this game worth 30 bucks? Should I buy Goat Simulator instead?

The best parts of this game it's not going to be like GTA at all, it's going to be closer to Arkham City with guns. You cannot take a shot well but you can lead the AI around by the nose, if they can't actively see you they can and will lose track of you and go after where they last think you were, then find out you're not there and search. Meanwhile you can plant explosives or sneak behind them or whatnot and screw with them endlessly.

They give you gadgets which let you gently caress with the AI a good bit. Lots of explosives to throw, and a good bit of things in the environment to gently caress with. Camera scouting is a little fun.

I loved the multi but it is indeed dead now. The invasion multi was honestly worth the pre-order. The single player alone, I would personally wait for it to drop lower while at the same time saying you should give it a try at some point. You will play through the story and 100% the open world stuff and probably never pick it up again, but you will also probably enjoy the hell out of sneaking around parking garages which are "gang hideouts" and listening to gang members freak out as they find dead bodies and hear explosions they cannot explain while you sneak around like Autistic Batman to do quiet takedowns and shoot people in the head with your silenced pistol.

You should finish the story though, if you get it. Not because you care what happens, but because there are some consistently good setpieces to play with that will never be populated with enemies if you do not do the story.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I'm not overly worried about the gameplay itself. I've seen enough videos that I know it's "ok", at least. The thing I'm most interested in is if there's enough violent/actiony sandbox activities to keep me interested, like clearing those gang hideouts you mentioned. Can you do them as much as you like or are you gonna run out like assassination missions in GTA IV? I'd probably play the story to unlock more activities and such if it would be needed, but other than that I'm not big on retarded plots and such.

To put perspective on that, I got 700ish hours on Skyrim and have never bothered to play the main story yet. Most likely never will. :v:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Fewd posted:

I'm not overly worried about the gameplay itself. I've seen enough videos that I know it's "ok", at least. The thing I'm most interested in is if there's enough violent/actiony sandbox activities to keep me interested, like clearing those gang hideouts you mentioned. Can you do them as much as you like or are you gonna run out like assassination missions in GTA IV? I'd probably play the story to unlock more activities and such if it would be needed, but other than that I'm not big on retarded plots and such.

To put perspective on that, I got 700ish hours on Skyrim and have never bothered to play the main story yet. Most likely never will. :v:

Good god man :stare:

You will run out of poo poo to do. I did every side activity that wasn't some stupid rear end minigame and finished after about 35-40 hours including alot of random loving around and a decent bit of invasions, then I made a new game and did nothing but online until online died (about another 40 hours worth of gameplay) If you get it you can open up most of the side stuff pretty quickly, there is one tiny area that has a few things gated behind progress but I think except for a couple of little collectable things nothing is gated once the world opens up.

If you do get this and you do gently caress around once you run out of poo poo to do go do the story. Seriously, while some of the story is bullshit (gameplay wise) the most setpiece work was done for the story and the most fun you get out of their gameplay gimmick is to be had in the story. The actual scrip is pretty much meangingless, and yet it can be entertaining if you play the main character as an autistic narcissistic psycho who thinks he's a hero murdering everyone you profile who doesn't align with your political views and whatnot. But the setpieces are worth enduring the worst parts of the script to play if you invest in this game.

But sandbox wise this probably is not what you're looking for. GTA San Andreas is on sale on steam, or go buy Saints Row 2 or something.

Alternately Kingdom's of Amalur is 5 bucks on steam right now if you want to kill things with swords and magic. It's respectably fun, and it's loving massive.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
How's the T-Bone DLC for it? Is it mostly Autistic Batman 1.5? Steam has it for 7.50 for a few more hours. I had a decent enough time with the base game.
Also for uPlay in general: If I redeemed the game on uPlay, can I buy the DLC on Steam and have it work?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Croccers posted:

How's the T-Bone DLC for it? Is it mostly Autistic Batman 1.5? Steam has it for 7.50 for a few more hours. I had a decent enough time with the base game.
Also for uPlay in general: If I redeemed the game on uPlay, can I buy the DLC on Steam and have it work?

I'd say it's worth it, at least just for the sake of having a protagonist that doesn't yell MY NIECEEEEEEEEEEE all the time.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Is there more DLC coming? The Bad Blood DLC was released with very little in the way of advertising, and it seems like Ubisoft's more-or-less written this game off, given the near-total radio silence since launch. Very strange for something that sold 8M+ copies.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

EightDeer posted:

Is there more DLC coming? The Bad Blood DLC was released with very little in the way of advertising, and it seems like Ubisoft's more-or-less written this game off, given the near-total radio silence since launch. Very strange for something that sold 8M+ copies.

No more DLC.

Par for the course with Ubisoft. They announce ALL the DLC at launch with the season pass and that's it.

Been that way since, I want to say, Assassins Creed 3?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

TheSpiritFox posted:

The actual scrip is pretty much meangingless, and yet it can be entertaining if you play the main character as an autistic narcissistic psycho who thinks he's a hero murdering everyone you profile who doesn't align with your political views and whatnot.
Is there any other way to play the main character?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

J-Spot posted:

Is there any other way to play the main character?

Sure you can try really hard not to run over any pedestrians and to use nonlethal takedowns as much as you possibly can to disable enemies and the game's narrative will neither reflect nor reward those efforts so you'll feel like your main character has schizophrenia.

Really you just should resign yourself to wanton murder so you can laugh at every cutscene where Aiden tries to pretend he's not that bad. Besides, do you really want to let the random NPC who attends furries conventions live now that you know who he or she is?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I found it worth at least keeping your reputation out of the red, so you don't get those random news reports that obscure half the screen and put everyone on alert.

Croccers posted:

The DLC is kind of like AC4 Freedom Cry or Infamous First Light, where the open world is a little bit remixed and you essentially go through the whole progression of the game again in a shorter time.

Unlike Freedom Cry, the scale of the world isn't reduced - you have the full map to run around in, a new full set of side activities to do (though unfortunately some of the mission types got swapped out for shittier ones), and even the multiplayer is intact (plus a new co-op mode).

The story is still all hokey and disjointed but it's much easier to swallow with a protagonist who isn't a massive dildo.

Overall I think it's a cool DLC, maybe too similar to the normal game to play them back to back, but great if you've had some time away and want to dip in again.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Just making sure here before I buy it, because I managed to buy the game for cheap and I wouldn't mind getting more out of it:

Does the season pass come with all of the DLC this game has to offer? It's :10bux: in the Humble Store right now.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
I had to reinstall WD, and I copied and pasted the newer TheWorse mod into the data_win64 folder and I'm getting all kinds of weird control errors and for some reason the first three menu items in the main menu are just blank (It was doing this before but my controls at least worked) wasn't there an ini or other file that required editing to use TheWorse mod? All I find online for version 1.0 of the final mod is "copy files to this directory, overwrite any files there and enjoy!"

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I really quit watchdogs because of Aiden Pearce. Never had that with a game.
I also disliked Alan Wake's protagonist but that game had me captivated.
I figure it's due to Ubisoft who couldn't deliver on it's promise.
I think the division will be a dud also.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Dvlos posted:

I had to reinstall WD, and I copied and pasted the newer TheWorse mod into the data_win64 folder and I'm getting all kinds of weird control errors and for some reason the first three menu items in the main menu are just blank (It was doing this before but my controls at least worked) wasn't there an ini or other file that required editing to use TheWorse mod? All I find online for version 1.0 of the final mod is "copy files to this directory, overwrite any files there and enjoy!"

I had no idea this game even had mods. I slightly stutter during car chases and junk...are graphical mods even worth looking at? :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That specific mod (it's customizable) did help me with performance a bit, although the game still ran like poo poo overall while looking pretty average compared to other games which run better.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Morter posted:

I had no idea this game even had mods. I slightly stutter during car chases and junk...are graphical mods even worth looking at? :(

TheWorse mod makes it look like the E3 demo, I was running the game on an i7 cpu, with a R9 270X it ran the game better with the mods, than without at 1080p, after upgrading to the GTX 970 it runs it at 2550x1600 everything on ultra no AA, with the mod (before I reinstalled) silky smooth at 50-60fps.

This game has boring set on Ultra, but and I'm midway through, I do want to finish it because Im freaking OCD. But I can't finish it without this mod working, makes it look much nicer.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Figured it out, there is a compiled mod that ties a few of the good mods together, you copy and paste folders (the options you want) into a mods folder and an installer puts it in for you and its compatible with the current dlc (which TheWorse mod by itself is not)

Night time shots are even nicer.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Dvlos posted:

Figured it out, there is a compiled mod that ties a few of the good mods together, you copy and paste folders (the options you want) into a mods folder and an installer puts it in for you and its compatible with the current dlc (which TheWorse mod by itself is not)

Night time shots are even nicer.

Would you mind linking it? :shobon:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Morter posted:

Would you mind linking it? :shobon:

Sure thing.

I used the top link, extracted the files. Like the txt says open mods folder and mod options folder. In the mod options folder look at the effects open them and then pick folder you want and just copy it to the mods window. There are like 5 or 6 options. If you do not copy any folder apparently it compiles the default TheWorse mod option which isn't bad.

Then in the main directory where you made the extraction run the modinstaller app. It compiles a new patch file them copies it to your watchdogs folder it detected my locations automatically too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A massive lost opportunity not to create SPIDER TANK content.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
It would appear by now that a lot of people have sussed out how to effectively notice if someone is in your game, if not outright cheat? I've noticed a few times that people are clearly aware of my presence. I'm enjoying tailing a lot more than hacking just for the voyeur aspect but it loses its shine when people often know you're there before you even get to them.

I'm late to the game and I'm pissed that I didn't get on board early because I'm loving nearly everything about this game, including everything that would otherwise be annoying or stupid about Autistic Batman just being unintentionally hilarious, right down to NPCs openly mocking you in the streets for acting like Autistic Batman.

e: Okay never mind it turns out that I can tell when someone has invaded my game easily enough anyway, especially when I decided like an idiot to look it up and now I can't not notice when it happens. The magic is gone.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 11, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Turn on your Slow-Mo power. If slow doesn't slow-mo you have someone. You can pause to check too but it's more annoying.
Having a slow-mo power was a bad idea, it should of been a Red Dead auto-target thing instead.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
The one time I caught someone tailing me, I had already had my game paused while it was raining, and I went to check something on my phone. The background started going into motion and it was raining even though I had it paused! I tried pressing ESC a few times and saw that, indeed, it wasn't pausing. I ran into a crowd of civilians, found the intruder, and shot him dead. :c00l:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, there are a bunch of tells. Aside from those two, go to map view and see if the world really stops moving.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
You can also press ESC and if the world in the background is still moving then somebody is in your game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, the prison mission was stupid. No knows who I am! Except the guard clearly heard saying "AIDEN PEARCE" as he enters in your name, and the untold number of guards that have seen your face.

I am having fun being a general Hacker rear end in a top hat though. I also found Aisha Tyler having a conversation in a building, which was a weird cameo to find. And yes, I am wearing the Correct Outfit that everyone recommends.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, the prison mission was stupid. No knows who I am! Except the guard clearly heard saying "AIDEN PEARCE" as he enters in your name, and the untold number of guards that have seen your face.

I am having fun being a general Hacker rear end in a top hat though. I also found Aisha Tyler having a conversation in a building, which was a weird cameo to find. And yes, I am wearing the Correct Outfit that everyone recommends.

"I don't want to kill him, I just want to make sure he knows I can reach him at any time...anywhere..."

*Kills a dozen cops*

*Is about to escape* "Hmm, if I kill any cops, it's going to make me lose rep.

:pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morter posted:

"I don't want to kill him, I just want to make sure he knows I can reach him at any time...anywhere..."

*Kills a dozen cops*

*Is about to escape* "Hmm, if I kill any cops, it's going to make me lose rep.

:pcgaming:

I love that anywhere you're going to be that might involve a firefight, the guards all have hilarious evil personal details :allears:. Every private company in Chicago must have terrible background screening processes for their security personnel.

edit: Just saw one of the server farm videos and it was of some vandal carving "AIDEN PEARCE" into a mirror for god-knows-what reason. Oh yes, the vigilante's true identity is truly a secret!

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 17, 2015

• Locked thread