Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Also it loses to Wasteland. Like, loses hard, since you don't really play any basic lands, and all of the lands you do play come into play tapped. So if your opponent plays wastelands you are going to have a very, very tough time having any mana at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

A Moose posted:

So, I read about a budget legacy storm deck a while ago using the Invasion Sac lands. Is that a real thing still, or was it ever? Here's the list, I have no idea when it was last updated

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5/budget-legacy/186144-primer-sac-land-tendrils

I just built that actually, partially because I want to try piloting a combo deck for once and partially because it's cheap enough for the amount of Legacy available to me (and I already had many of the cards in the list when I first started building it). I haven't had a chance to play it yet but if I like it I'll probably slowly build it into a "real" Storm deck over time.

Also, if you want a budget Legacy deck someone pitched Manaless Dredge to me back when I first started building this, I can't remember an exact list but it was ~$300 to build when I saw it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 21, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Are there any decks in legacy that only run 2 of the staples? I found out I have an odd number of several fetches, FOW and wastelands, 2 extra, and am wondering if I can build a deck with the extras so I don't have to acquire the rest of the play sets. Assume the rest of any possible deck is taken care of.

I'm trying to see if I can supply enough decks to make legacy a thing at our LGS. Currently I have 5 standalone legacy decks because I am dumb.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Not really, if you have extras just save them up to trade for other staples you're missing or start trading up to power!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dang, thought you could get away with a couple 2-ofs of forces or wastelands in niche decks. Might just start trading for power cuz there's not much else to trade for. Maybe a bunch of goyfs so I can scrooge dive into them!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Dang, thought you could get away with a couple 2-ofs of forces or wastelands in niche decks. Might just start trading for power cuz there's not much else to trade for. Maybe a bunch of goyfs so I can scrooge dive into them!

Wasteland's a special case, some midrange decks like Esper Stoneblade/Deathblade usually have 2-3.

With Force though it's 4 or 0, with not a whole lot in between.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wasteland's a special case, some midrange decks like Esper Stoneblade/Deathblade usually have 2-3.

With Force though it's 4 or 0, with not a whole lot in between.

I've been liking swan song in the side for some decks in place of FoW #3 and 4. Very few decks are going to win on T1 and not pitching a card when countering is really nice. Needs to be a deck that doesn't care about a 2/2 token for the opp tho.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Cards like Force and Wasteland tend to be pretty important early on and get less useful as the game progresses so you almost always want to run a play set so you can be more likely to see them in the turns where their utility is highest.

TheKingofSprings posted:

That used to be the case before but not so much these days. The meta has shifted. Between TNN making Color Demands a lot higher and Deathrite Shaman adding security against the threat of Wasteland Esper/Deathblade pilots are biting the bullet, cutting their basics and playing the full set of Wasteland.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the update and rationale. I've been on a miracles kick the past several months so I've let my knowledge of stoneblade falter. I did remember a couple 2-of wasteland decks way back but it's sad to hear that's no longer the case.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Put together modern faeries on MTGO. Pretty fun, and have definitely been doing better in the 2-mans than my previous instant reanimator deck. Reanimator was either me blowing them out, or them blowing me out. With faeries I feel like my matches are usually closer, both when I win and when I lose.

I haven't been able to find anything resembling a definitive faeries list, so I read up a bit and kind of stole what seemed reasonable from other decks. I am sure it could use some help.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Creeping Tar Pit
4 River of Tears
4 Secluded Glen
4 Mutavault
3 Island
2 Sunken Ruins
4 Spellstutter Sprite
3 Vendilion Clique
4 Mistbind Clique
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Thoughtseize
3 Dismember
4 Cryptic Command
4 Bitterblossom
2 Smother
2 Sword of Feast and Famine
4 Rune Snag

//Sideboard
4 Engineered Explosives
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Spell Pierce
3 Flashfreeze
4 Leyline of the Void

Display deck statistics

The card I've been finding dead in my hand most often is mistbind clique. It is good at locking away the game if I already have the edge, but if I don't have an active bitterblossom, or at least a couple of spellstutters, it can be clunky.

Bitterblossom pulls a lot of weight. Most games where it comes out turn 2, I do pretty well. I've also been impressed with the two sword of feast and famine. They seem to help give me that little bit of an edge. A number of games have ended with a vendillion clique beating down with a sword.

I am sure my sideboard is weak. Engineered explosives has been good against elves and merfolk, and spell pierce against the creature-light decks. Not sure about what I should be doing for the rest.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

What's with the 6 pieces of graveyard hate? Just a reaction to the amount of Goryo's Vengeance decks you said you were facing? I mean, the games play out in such a way that casting a 4 mana enchantment is not unreasonable. Instead of Flashfreeze I could see Sower of Temptation or that other one that grabs cards with CMC less than two performing a similar role, with a bit more versatility.

Also: I got to play against that Cruel Control deck at a local event. Cruel Ultimatum followed up next turn by Snapcaster + Cruel Ultimatum is pretty brutal.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 23, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, six is likely too much. I should probably replace some of the anti-graveyard hate with better anti-twin hate and some anti-burn hate. Burn isn't uncommon on MTGO. Maybe spellskite? I like the sower suggestion too.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Probably way wrong but Faerie Macabre seems like the perfect Graveyard Hate for the Faeries Deck.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I don't think you would ever want to spend time casting a Faerie Macabre and it is much less powerful than other graveyard removal. Usually Faerie gets played when you care about your graveyard removal being free

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I figured the inclusion of Leyline was pretty indicative that free and immediate 'Yard hate was a priority.

Your point stands though, a 2/2 body for 3 isn't going to do much, and Leyline and Relic are better free early hate. I just hate running Leylines, they make for such poo poo draws in the mid game. Gross.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Not so much of a priority as a "I want to put together some sort of sideboard so I can start playing, so I'll throw some common sideboard cards in and tweak later". I was out of tickets to buy spellskites at the time, and wanted to do some matches. Like I said, I think it needs more anti-twin and anti-burn tech. Maybe a couple for anti-storm.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Is vintage merfolk still a thing? I mean the kind that actually plays merfolk. I've put together a legacy merfolk deck and I'm gonna play in a legacy/vintage league, but I have no idea what to play when vintage is being played. Up to 20 proxies are allowed. The only pricy legacy staples that I have are forces and wastelands and the merfolk dudes. Is there any not insanely expensive vintage deck that I can make with 20 proxies?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Bonus posted:

Is vintage merfolk still a thing? I mean the kind that actually plays merfolk. I've put together a legacy merfolk deck and I'm gonna play in a legacy/vintage league, but I have no idea what to play when vintage is being played. Up to 20 proxies are allowed. The only pricy legacy staples that I have are forces and wastelands and the merfolk dudes. Is there any not insanely expensive vintage deck that I can make with 20 proxies?

As far as I know yes, it won that Vintage tournament in the Eternal weekend, although a large amount of time has passed since then.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, I heard about that, but when I look up merfolk vintage decks, they all seem to be this BUG control deck without any merfolk. Got a decklist?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Bonus posted:

Yeah, I heard about that, but when I look up merfolk vintage decks, they all seem to be this BUG control deck without any merfolk. Got a decklist?
Here's a recent one, I really don't know the difference between "Fish" and "Merfolk" in Vintage either - it was listed in the "Other Aggro" section along with another recent Merfolk deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

neetengie posted:

Here's a recent one, I really don't know the difference between "Fish" and "Merfolk" in Vintage either - it was listed in the "Other Aggro" section along with another recent Merfolk deck.

I would imagine that some of those 11 Island Sanctuary are actually copies of Island instead.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
"Fish" in vintage refers to basically any aggro-control deck that includes blue. Look for Merfolk or "Reel Fish" for actual Merfolk lists. There's a ton of decks in Vintage you can make with 20 proxies if you have some duals/fetches, but it sounds like you don't.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

neetengie posted:

With a lot of Vintage decks, it's important to ask if it's not playing more of the Power Nine because of goods reasons or because of cost. If you can get copies of them, you should play Mox Sapphire and Black Lotus in that deck as well as the Ancestral Recall and Time Walk.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What do you guys think of some of the cards spoiled for conspiracy? Most look bad but I see potential in council's judgment in control deck sideboards. Takes care of UG problem creatures.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

What do you guys think of some of the cards spoiled for conspiracy? Most look bad but I see potential in council's judgment in control deck sideboards. Takes care of UG problem creatures.

Something stupid may happen at some point with Grenzo, Duck is the stone cold nuts for Vintage, but most of the other cards are underwhelming.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah. I'm not sure on Dack. He does take an artifact but unlike Trygon predator he doesn't present a clock nor destroys enchantments if that matters.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Chill la Chill posted:

I like the Pay 3 Life = R ogre dude; he could create some nutty hands for Sneak Attack decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah. I'm not sure on Dack. He does take an artifact but unlike Trygon predator he doesn't present a clock nor destroys enchantments if that matters.

He already effectively steals a land the turn he comes into play at the least. That's a very nice edge over Trygon, and the looting ability seems very useful too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bhsman posted:

I like the Pay 3 Life = R ogre dude; he could create some nutty hands for Sneak Attack decks.

If you have 3R available, why not just cast Sneak Attack rather than this guy, then pay 15 life to Sneak Attack the same turn?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Everblight posted:

If you have 3R available, why not just cast Sneak Attack rather than this guy, then pay 15 life to Sneak Attack the same turn?

If you have 3RR available, you can Sneak this guy in and then several friends.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Everblight posted:

You drop him with Sneak Attack and then can pay life to drop a bunch of other guys.

EDIT: In addition to having the option of dropping another Sneak Attack and using it for 15 life with him out, if the need arises.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Legacy Burn decks that splash black for Bump in the Night might choose Tyrant's Choice as a one-sided Flame Rift? Council's Judgement answers TNN. A lot of the reprints are extremely legacy-relevant cards. Notably, this is only the second possible way to get a foil Brainstorm aside from a no-longer-available promo.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Legacy Burn decks that splash black for Bump in the Night might choose Tyrant's Choice as a one-sided Flame Rift? Council's Judgement answers TNN. A lot of the reprints are extremely legacy-relevant cards. Notably, this is only the second possible way to get a foil Brainstorm aside from a no-longer-available promo.

Mercadian Masques had foils...

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Chill la Chill posted:

I also think it will replace Vindicate in Esper Deathblade, hitting TNN/Mongoose is more than worth not being able to hit lands.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

So I quit playing Legacy a while ago. Like 2008ish (holy poo poo). At the time I was mostly playing Survival and Canadian Threshold. Oh and Solidarity (lol). Obviously the metagame has shifted somewhat in the interim. But I've got the itch. I assume that the easiest way to get back into things would be to pick up playsets of Deathrite Shaman, Abrupt Decay (and lol Delver of Secrets), some random Zendikar fetch lands and start playing Team America? Are there any other fun aggro-controlish decks I should be looking into? Is the metagame still slow enough that it's possible to troll people by playing Solidarity? Should I finally bite the bullet and just finish building ANT instead?

Basically I want to play again but 5-6 years of subtle changes to my favorite eternal format have made me bewildered and confused. I know the way to fix this is just to dive in, but I'd sort of prefer to avoid getting totally rolled my first few games. I'd also like to avoid spending much more than $100 to get back in, but fortunately I do have access to most Legacy staples that existed at the time (with the unfortunate exception of anything truely old/janky/expensive like Illusionary Mask or Candelabra of Tawnos.)

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 23, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

LGD posted:

So I quit playing Legacy a while ago. Like 2008ish (holy poo poo). At the time I was mostly playing Survival and Canadian Threshold. Oh and Solidarity (lol). Obviously the metagame has shifted somewhat in the interim. But I've got the itch. I assume that the easiest way to get back into things would be to pick up playsets of Deathrite Shaman, Abrupt Decay (and lol Delver of Secrets), some random Zendikar fetch lands and start playing Team America? Are there any other fun aggro-controlish decks I should be looking into? Is the metagame still slow enough that it's possible to troll people by playing Solidarity? Should I finally bite the bullet and just finish building ANT instead?

Basically I want to play again but 5-6 years of subtle changes to my favorite eternal format have made me bewildered and confused. I know the way to fix this is just to dive in, but I'd sort of prefer to avoid getting totally rolled my first few games. I'd also like to avoid spending much more than $100 to get back in, but fortunately I do have access to most Legacy staples that existed at the time (with the unfortunate exception of anything truely old/janky/expensive like Illusionary Mask or Candelabra of Tawnos.)
Since you were playing Canadian Thresh you might as well play RUG Delver.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

LGD posted:

Just keep playing Canadian Threshold, now known as RUG Delver, assuming you already have the goyfs, forces, and manabase. It's still an inexplicably solid deck that wins tournaments.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

AnacondaHL posted:

Just keep playing Canadian Threshold, now known as RUG Delver, assuming you already have the goyfs, forces, and manabase. It's still an inexplicably solid deck that wins tournaments.

Disruption plus efficient beaters that are hard to kill combined with lots of filtering make for a very consistent deck. I don't think it's that inexplicable. :)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

LGD posted:

If you have goyfs (which I cannot remember if thresh played them or not) you should have just about everything for RUG delver which is still a really good deck except for some zendikar fetches.

ScarletBrother posted:

Mercadian Masques had foils...

I would imagine he doesn't want to pay 200.00+ for them

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
The Zendikar fetches are good, he means those should be the only things you might need to pick up that are pricey.

• Locked thread