Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I threw together a $35 version of Wb tokens with the sketchiest mana base ever and it is so fun to play I am going out of my mind. Yes, I will beat you up in the Just For Fun room with your single fetch that costs more than my whole deck. I'll definitely plan on building this out both in real life and online over time. And I think Squadron Hawk is my favorite card ever now.

Here's my list, based mainly on Craig Wescoe's ratios from his March list:

4 Squadron Hawk

4 Doom Blade
4 Path to Exile

4 Lingering Souls
4 Spectral Procession

4 Honor of the Pure
3 Intangible Virtue

4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Duress

3 Runechanter's Pike

4 Temple of Silence
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Caves of Koilos
2 Orzhov Guildgate
1 Vault of the Archangel
1 Swamp
8 Plains

The only difference with my online list that I bought was that I have 3 Thoughtseize already but no Inquisition yet, and I just managed to make a trade on Deckbox to get the paper Godless Shrines.

I played one earlier where I mulliganed to 5 but got 2 early Paths and used all 4 Squadron Hawks to draw me into enough land to drop a Runechanter's Pike. He flooded out but I was staring down Demigod of Revenge and Phyrexian Obliterator and I topdecked my third Path so I could SEND THE HAWK HOLDING THE PIKE. I love Magic, you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So I feel a need to share this fun deck which manages to take Unexpected Results and Selective Memory to tournament winning levels of competitiveness that would just make Johnny endlessly happy.

The way it works is that it attempts to cheat out Emrakul via Through the Breach or Unexpected Results, with Unexpected Results having the upside of permanently putting Emrakul onto the field. This is done by power out to four or five mana fast, using Selective Memory to narrow down the deck to exactly what you care about, and then just praying for dear hope that you get something good out. It literally just runs on making your bets and hedging them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ramos posted:

So I feel a need to share this fun deck which manages to take Unexpected Results and Selective Memory to tournament winning levels of competitiveness that would just make Johnny endlessly happy.

The way it works is that it attempts to cheat out Emrakul via Through the Breach or Unexpected Results, with Unexpected Results having the upside of permanently putting Emrakul onto the field. This is done by power out to four or five mana fast, using Selective Memory to narrow down the deck to exactly what you care about, and then just praying for dear hope that you get something good out. It literally just runs on making your bets and hedging them.

Reminds me of a rough draft of a deck I wrote up last summer after a goon saw something like it at a local Modern event. I'm ramping into Descendant's Path + cheap Eldrazi to cast Emrakul for free, it's pretty flimsy but I do like the idea of cheating huge creatures into play.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 29, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Didn't the final list we collectively brewed look a lot different, like transmute cards and other shennanigans to consistently look for descendants paths/mutavault/changelings?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Reminds me of a rough draft of a deck I wrote up last summer after a goon saw something like it at a local Modern event. I'm ramping into Descendant's Path + cheap Eldrazi to cast Emrakul for free, it's pretty flimsy but I do like the idea of cheating huge creatures into play.

Shelldock.dec is still Johnny-er

2 Emrakul
4 Shelldock Isle
4 Surgical Extraction
50 Shadowborn Apostle

always choose to draw.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Everblight posted:

2 Emrakul
4 Shelldock Isle
4 Surgical Extraction
50 Shadowborn Apostle

always choose to draw.

What's the ideal play?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

kizudarake posted:

What's the ideal play?

Do nothing first turn, discard an aspostle. Then extract it out of your deck. Next turn, play land, get Emrakul. Next turn, cast Emrakul for U.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ramos posted:

Do nothing first turn, discard an aspostle. Then extract it out of your deck. Next turn, play land, get Emrakul. Next turn, cast Emrakul for U.

Doesn't work; shelldock etbt, so you can't get Emrakul out until turn 4.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Uuuuugh, why did they have to put that in the reminder text?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Stinky Pit posted:

Didn't the final list we collectively brewed look a lot different, like transmute cards and other shennanigans to consistently look for descendants paths/mutavault/changelings?

I have no idea, honestly I only remember you suggesting Drift of Phantasms (tutors for combo pieces) and Nest Invader (is Eldrazi, provides two blockers).

Everblight posted:

2 Emrakul
4 Shelldock Isle
4 Surgical Extraction
50 Shadowborn Apostle

always choose to draw.

:lol: Has anyone actually tried to trot this out in a tourney?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This reminds me of one of my favorite gimmick decks, it was standard legal for a while and I made an FNM top 8 with it.

2 Zombie Infestation
4 Treasure Hunt
22 Swamp
22 Island

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

C-Euro posted:

:lol: Has anyone actually tried to trot this out in a tourney?

I've been jackassing around with this deck:

33 Shadowborn Apostle
4 Shelldock Isle
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Blackcleave Cliffs
3 Darkslick Shores
3 Watery Grave
2 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
2 Griselbrand
4 Surgical Extraction
2 Cruel Ultimatum
2 Omniscience
2 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Progenitus
SB: 1 Blazing Archon
SB: 1 Blightsteel Colossus
SB: 2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
SB: 4 Extirpate
SB: 1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
SB: 2 Liliana of the Veil
SB: 2 Mana Leak
SB: 1 Massacre Wurm
SB: 1 Jace Beleren

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ramos posted:

Sign me up for any deck that runs Omniscience and Enter the Infinite. I still play Omnihalls because drawing my whole deck is just the best.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I've realized I'm one Sylvan Library from having all my cards in my Legacy decks other than my Dual lands in black border. Up until now I've always used Unglued basic lands, but now I kind of want to make all my lands that're fetchable white-bordered. This is possibly the silliest Magic-related question I've ever asked, but what do y'all think are the coolest white-bordered basics? Summer Magic is a bit out of my budget for now, but there's gotta be some other nice white-bordered basics out there.

I do kinda wish it were okay to use the German Drudge Skeletons misprint with the Swamp art and border as a Swamp, then I'd use that alongside the German misprint forest.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I like the Portal: Three Kingdoms basics

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Use revised lands for maximum ugly.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

AgentSythe posted:

I like the Portal: Three Kingdoms basics

Good call! I like some of those a lot.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Maximum ugly is also tempting. I made drat sure all of my Urza lands for Modern had that lovely "Modern frame, white border" combination.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hopping Ghost posted:

Maximum ugly is also tempting. I made drat sure all of my Urza lands for Modern had that lovely "Modern frame, white border" combination.

I've got a set of non-matching language, non-matching card frame, mixed white and black border Urza lands. They make people so mad!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

I've got a set of non-matching language, non-matching card frame, mixed white and black border Urza lands. They make people so mad!

This is what I do as well. I'd like black border-new border ones that all matched but if I can't afford something nice, everyone suffers.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

Please purchase some Antiquities playsets

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Snacksmaniac posted:

I always thought that the 4th edition lands were slightly uglier than revised. But thats probably nostalgia talking. Go Classic 6 edition revised art swamp for maximum uggo factor.

AgentSythe posted:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

I would, but they cost too much. Plus I don't use them very often. The 12 lands cost me $2.50 at a con. Usually I just loan them out when modern PTQ season is around to friends who don't have them.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

I would, but they cost too much. Plus I don't use them very often. The 12 lands cost me $2.50 at a con. Usually I just loan them out when modern PTQ season is around to friends who don't have them.

$12 for a playset of Antiquities Urza's Towers is too much? In a deck that runs Grove of the Burnwillows, Karn, and Emrakul?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

$12 for a playset of Antiquities Urza's Towers is too much? In a deck that runs Grove of the Burnwillows, Karn, and Emrakul?

I said I hardly touch them. Plus I've already got all those other cards.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Here's a decidedly non-budget deck design of mine. The idea is to beat unfair decks by having tons of blue disruption, and beat fair decks by pulling out a silver bullet Thought Lash to effectively gain 40 life. I went 3-0 at a local legacy tournament with a version that didn't have fetches, Force of Will, Intuition, Flusterstorm, or Jace. Just draw spells, counterspells, and frustrated opponents for days. Does anyone have suggestions of different silver bullets for the deck, perhaps a better win condition? Does anyone here have enough staples on MTGO to build the rest of this deck and try it out?

code:
8 Island
2 Polluted Delta
2 Scalding Tarn
2 Flooded Strand
2 Misty Rainforest
4 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb

4 Thought Lash
4 Laboratory Maniac
4 Intuition
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
4 Opt
3 Flusterstorm
3 Spell Pierce
3 Counterspell
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sideboard
3 Hibernation
3 Pithing Needle
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Stifle
1 Flusterstorm
1 Spell Pierce
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I understand that it's an instant, but is Opt really better than Ponder/Preordain?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There was an old Mono Blue deck that used to run Energy Field.
Also Back to Basics? Go deep and use Force Spike?

Elyv posted:

I understand that it's an instant, but is Opt really better than Ponder/Preordain?

No but maybe he doesn't think he can afford to tap out on T1 ever.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I was going to ask the same thing, but I think it is better for responding to the combat damage step. So you Opt to see if what is on top you really need. If it is, you draw that card and then use thought lash. If not, just thought lash it all away. I think that is the idea anyway, but it would be interesting to see if that situations comes up enough that you don't just want Ponder.

Also, how do you deal with a resolved early creature? I'm thinking about the tempo matchups in particular where resolving a 4CMC spell may prove difficult.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

A T1 Delver on Mongoose is gonna be trouble.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Or a Vial. Or a bunch of other less common cards that you will still occasionally see and will need to be immediately dealt with (i.e. Goblin Lackey). Also, while it can be played around it sure seems like your deck is *extremely* vulnerable to Abrupt Decay. The deck looks fun, but it seems like it would have an unfavorable match up with most of the commonly played tempo decks in the format (RU/RUG Delver or Team America).

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Snacksmaniac posted:

If I'm not using full art basics, I use revised basics.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I play Red Deck Wins with nothing but Arabian Nights mountains

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
The nice thing about Revised basics is if you have white-bordered duals in the same deck it's easy to tell all your fetchable lands apart from all other cards at a glance.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AgentSythe posted:

I was going to ask the same thing, but I think it is better for responding to the combat damage step. So you Opt to see if what is on top you really need. If it is, you draw that card and then use thought lash. If not, just thought lash it all away. I think that is the idea anyway, but it would be interesting to see if that situations comes up enough that you don't just want Ponder.

Also, how do you deal with a resolved early creature? I'm thinking about the tempo matchups in particular where resolving a 4CMC spell may prove difficult.

Yeah, those are tricky, since Force of Will is the only card to protect Thought Lash if I cast it with no extra lands untapped. I should hopefully be able to wait a little longer against T1 Delver so I can cast Thought Lash with Flusterstorm or Spell Pierce mana available, but I'm not claiming by any means that this deck has no bad matchups.

AgentSythe posted:

That wasn't a factor for me, Opt is an instant so I can cast it in response to removal on Laboratory Maniac. It's also a useful way to keep up mana for Flusterstorm and Spell Pierce, but that's not the real reason. All of this deck's card draw should, ideally, be instant-speed.

These critiques are completely valid, this deck has worked for me but it's tough to correctly keep Laboratory Maniac alive against decks with a lot of removal. I'm wondering if there's a better way to win the game once I have a Thought Lash in play. Jace, The Mind Sculptor is great with Thought Lash because he can Brainstorm and the top two cards are going to get exiled, but I need to draw into some kind of win condition because the Thought Lash will eventually kill me.

Thought Lash 2UU
Enchantment

You gain 40 life. You lose the game in 5 turns.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Have you thought of donate to send the thought lash over after refusing to pay the upkeep cost?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Have you thought of donate to send the thought lash over after refusing to pay the upkeep cost?

Yes, and unfortunately, they changed the text of Thought Lash so that doesn't work anymore. Also, Donate is a sorcery, but that trick was very popular in Zedruu decks once upon a time.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

That wasn't a factor for me, Opt is an instant so I can cast it in response to removal on Laboratory Maniac. It's also a useful way to keep up mana for Flusterstorm and Spell Pierce, but that's not the real reason. All of this deck's card draw should, ideally, be instant-speed.

That's reasonable. In Omnihalls I just use the Brainstorms, but those aren't sufficient for protecting against Abrupt Decay and the like in this deck because you aren't drawing your whole deck, you're binning it. There's no guarantee you can afford to hold onto or even find a Brainstorm the turn you need to win with Lab Man. Lots of decks that want to cast one-mana permission get by running sorcery speed cantrips but the protection for Lab Man makes a lot of sense.

Edit: I may try this thing out by shaving a few numbers (probably an Intuition and something else) for some maindeck bounce. It would be cool to have room for Cunning Wish, but I just don't see it. Cunning Wish for your Intuitions is a shitload of mana, and potentially a bunch of damage off your sol lands.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
What about Top?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jorath posted:

What about Top?

Doesn't let you win off Lab Maniac I'd guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jorath posted:

What about Top?

Top is an anagram of Opt :). Might be better, might not be, I guess it depends on how the expensive version of the deck actually plays.

Everblight posted:

Doesn't let you win off Lab Maniac I'd guess.

Yes it does, you just need to tap it.

• Locked thread