Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

You forgot about Vintage :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Who Do You Hate->Myself->Doomsday

this chart is too real, man

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

homerlaw posted:

How viable is legacy re-animator right now with all the graveyard hate out right now, decent or not?

The actual deck Reanimator is super real and has top 8'd a bunch of opens recently.

gang sines posted:

Carsten Kotter posted a cool R/B reanimator deck in his SCG article today someone want to lend me a couple grand so I can build it thanks in advance.

There is a twitch streamer that plays a pretty similar deck, but with faithless lootings, more artifact fatties and goblin welders.

Edit: Holy poo poo that Illusions-Donate deck is hilarious.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 20, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ungulateman posted:

I'm going to repost my plan for a Hatebears

Seems fine. With all of the Snapcaster Mages running around, there is an argument for Dryad Militant main instead of the Soldier of the Pantheons. I'd find a home for some equipment, shaving Loxodon Smiters. Might want to go up to 3 RIPs, and just two Leylines seems weird. I assume that card is for the burn matchup?. If you can afford it, I've seen versions of this shave some of their numbers and do things with Resto Angel/Blade Splicer/Flickerwisp, but that deck also runs vial.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

What's with the 6 pieces of graveyard hate? Just a reaction to the amount of Goryo's Vengeance decks you said you were facing? I mean, the games play out in such a way that casting a 4 mana enchantment is not unreasonable. Instead of Flashfreeze I could see Sower of Temptation or that other one that grabs cards with CMC less than two performing a similar role, with a bit more versatility.

Also: I got to play against that Cruel Control deck at a local event. Cruel Ultimatum followed up next turn by Snapcaster + Cruel Ultimatum is pretty brutal.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 23, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I don't think you would ever want to spend time casting a Faerie Macabre and it is much less powerful than other graveyard removal. Usually Faerie gets played when you care about your graveyard removal being free

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I was also thinking about playing Storm in modern. Is that deck stuck one one land often enough that always being able to tap for the mana the turn you play it (Shivan Reef) better than Sulfur Falls? I've seen a lot of storm players take a load of damage from their lands.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

It's not stuck on one land too often, since you often start with Gitiaxian Probes and Serum Visions before you go off. Shivan Reef is definitely better, though, the difference between playing it on turn 4 and going off versus playing a Falls and waiting to go off on turn 5 can be the difference between winning and losing against other combo decks.

Okay so, the upside of guaranteeing you can cast a cantrip turn 1 is greater than the potential damage of Shivan Reef. I think if I am playing Steam Vents and fetches I'd want to test that.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Brasslands (is that a term now?)

Probably still just rainbow lands

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

White Sun's Zenith you wont have the mana for, and Entreat is pretty bad without a consistent way to manipulate the top of your deck. I *think* the Sigil is probably too expensive, and I'm not sure the enchantment count is high enough. If you're going to do this strategy, I'd just go all in on the creature beats plan.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ramos posted:

So I feel a need to share this fun deck which manages to take Unexpected Results and Selective Memory to tournament winning levels of competitiveness that would just make Johnny endlessly happy.

The way it works is that it attempts to cheat out Emrakul via Through the Breach or Unexpected Results, with Unexpected Results having the upside of permanently putting Emrakul onto the field. This is done by power out to four or five mana fast, using Selective Memory to narrow down the deck to exactly what you care about, and then just praying for dear hope that you get something good out. It literally just runs on making your bets and hedging them.

Sign me up for any deck that runs Omniscience and Enter the Infinite. I still play Omnihalls because drawing my whole deck is just the best.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I like the Portal: Three Kingdoms basics

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I've got a set of non-matching language, non-matching card frame, mixed white and black border Urza lands. They make people so mad!

Please purchase some Antiquities playsets

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I was going to ask the same thing, but I think it is better for responding to the combat damage step. So you Opt to see if what is on top you really need. If it is, you draw that card and then use thought lash. If not, just thought lash it all away. I think that is the idea anyway, but it would be interesting to see if that situations comes up enough that you don't just want Ponder.

Also, how do you deal with a resolved early creature? I'm thinking about the tempo matchups in particular where resolving a 4CMC spell may prove difficult.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I play Red Deck Wins with nothing but Arabian Nights mountains

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

That wasn't a factor for me, Opt is an instant so I can cast it in response to removal on Laboratory Maniac. It's also a useful way to keep up mana for Flusterstorm and Spell Pierce, but that's not the real reason. All of this deck's card draw should, ideally, be instant-speed.

That's reasonable. In Omnihalls I just use the Brainstorms, but those aren't sufficient for protecting against Abrupt Decay and the like in this deck because you aren't drawing your whole deck, you're binning it. There's no guarantee you can afford to hold onto or even find a Brainstorm the turn you need to win with Lab Man. Lots of decks that want to cast one-mana permission get by running sorcery speed cantrips but the protection for Lab Man makes a lot of sense.

Edit: I may try this thing out by shaving a few numbers (probably an Intuition and something else) for some maindeck bounce. It would be cool to have room for Cunning Wish, but I just don't see it. Cunning Wish for your Intuitions is a shitload of mana, and potentially a bunch of damage off your sol lands.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The only reason to play pox is to show off all 4 Mishra's Factory arts

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

It's a logistical thing. Game 1 if you present decks and say "I'll be on the draw", your opponent will immediately think Manaless Dredge and will be more likely to mulligan to find hands to interact with the graveyard and such rather than keep a typical hand that you would have easily beaten. Games 2 and 3 being on the draw opens you up to Grafdigger's Cage and discard, so may as well play first. Annex works better on the play anyways, stopping Surgical Extraction on Turn 1.

For a time Omnihalls would sometimes go on the draw to get people to mull to like a Deathrite Shaman hand.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Yeah, storm is fine. That list is obviously worse against aggro than the "regular" version but otherwise all of the other cards are exactly the same. Bolts make the matchup better, and maybe you find room for an Aetherize or something but I'm not sure if that is correct.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I don't think I've seen a list in at least a year with maindeck bolts, just in the board as they are in the above list. Have not played enough games to weigh in on if that is better or more cantrips/filtering is better game one.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Stinky Pit posted:

Please don't build the Dual Land-less version of some other list you like, or whatever random "budget" pile has one or two interactions from a more established deck. Its a mistake tons of people trying to break into Legacy make. Spend your limited budget on a deck in that budget, and then slowly move into something else. You'll have more fun and learn more playing Burrito for half a year than you will making Sac-Land Tendrils and getting brutally wastelanded out of every game.

Listen to this man. If duals are out of your range at the moment, there are lots of decks that don't use them (or use the cheap ones, like Imperial Painter (except that deck needs Imperial Recruiters, lol)) that are still extremely competitive.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

As far as I know, Past in Flames finished the job Ad Nauseum started in regard to dedicated Iggy Pop decks, but I believe some Burning Wish decks still SB one.

The Burning Wish Storms decks (most notably, TES) use a sideboarded copy of Past in Flames and Diminishing Returns. Diminishing Returns doesn't really do the same thing as IGG but is a backup "engine"... sorta.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I found something interesting while looking through the online Modern meta:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/11306

It's sort of Scapeshift-y in that you have Cryptic Commands, Remands, and Lightning Bolts as protection, cantrips (more cantrips in this version, replacing the ramp in Scapeshift) and wins the game with a big bomb. You need one more piece to go off (the memnite) but you also have uncounter-able tutors for it in the form of Tolaria West. It also has a "backup plan" in the form of living long enough to get charge counters on your Dreadship Reef to just straight up cast the big E.

I like the list quite a bit. I'm not sure what Minamo is all about. I'd probably stick an Academy Ruins in there, which lets you get your discarded Memnite back more directly than pitching Emrakul to Compulsive Research or Izzet Charm and shuffling it back in. I'd also beef up the postboard package for fighting Surgical Extraction effects with probably a Polymorph or two and another fattie. Inkwell Leviathan seems like a good pick in that slot.

It's possible using this shell with polymorphs instead of possibility storms is also good.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Counterpoint: You can no longer yell "BONE SAW IS REA-DYYYYYY!"

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I also hope Show and Tell gets banned.

If this happens I will riot for an entire month. Luckily, it will not happen.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Everblight posted:

Emrakul exists solely to be cheated into play, not hardcast.

Clearly you've never charged up a Dreadship Reef :getin:

Everblight posted:

It would get rid of Release the Ants!/Omniscience combo in legacy though, which makes me sad.

Yeah but you still get the sweet Research//Development+Lab Man version. This version becomes superior when you have Cabal Therapy to put in your Research pile and you blind rip 2 Sudden Shock from your opponent's hand like a fuckin' sicko.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

So, I'm stealing this idea from the Source, but I really want to run this. Maybe I'll put it together online.

4 Thought Lash
3 Long-Term Plans
4 Skill Borrower
2 Laboratory Maniac
1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Griselbrand
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Force of Will
3 Misdirection
2 Spell Pierce
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Brainstorm
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Ponder

6 Blue Fetches
7 Island
3 City of Traitors
3 Ancient Tomb

Sideboard:
3 Culling Scales
2 Defense Grid
3 Back to Basics
3 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Flusterstorm
2 Wipe Away

So, you're trying to do a couple of things:

Play a Thought Lash. Play a Laboratory Maniac. Win the game.
Play a Skill Borrower. Have a Kiki-Jiki on top of your library. Win the game.
Play a Skill Borrower. Have a Griselbrand on top. Draw 14 cards. Win the game.

The rest of the deck is around protecting (counter magic, misdirections for abrupt decays) and setting up our combos. Cantrips get us what we want and also turn Long-term Plans into a Vampiric Tutor. Jace does a bit of everything. His brainstorm is particularly nice, putting back things we want on the top of our deck and digging to cards we want. Thought Lash gives us a bunch of time against fair decks, and acts as a repeatable demonic consultation with Skill Borrower in play. There's just a lot of nonsense happening in this deck and it all kinda works together. Comedy option: use Skill Borrower + sensei's top on top as a Maze of Ith

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I posted a Thought Lash list earlier, that card is incredible against aggro decks. This deck list is interesting, but I don't think Kiki and Skill Borrower work the way you think they do. Also, I'd rather have Intuition over Long-Term Plans, because that card is too gimmicky when you're trying to find a silver bullet.

Long-term plans seems okay with so many ways to get to the top 1-3 cards of your deck, but intuition could be correct since decks on the slowish blue combo plan have used it since time immemorial. The Kiki interaction is obviously not as good as Twin, which can do it whenever but Skill Borrow/Kiki end of turn works. It's unfortunate that your Skill Borrow has to live two turns, obviously.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Yes, good, more Affinity. Super.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I posted this in the wrong thread earlier, it's a Legacy legal creatureless MBC that uses Ensnaring Bridge for a soft lock. I'd like to get any input from you guys on how to improve it without adding creatures or giving up the Bridge/ Null Brooch mechanic, if possible:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-black-bridge-brooch/

If it's just garbage, tell me. I might just make it to take to a Legacy tourney just to wonk with people's metagame, as it's not too pricey.

You're obviously a pretty big underdog to any of the fast combo, and any of the slower combo once people start putting in white Leylines again to deal with resurgent Burn and the always present BUG decks. Dredge probably still eats you alive since you can't search for your bogs and you don't have 4 black Leylines to justify boarding that in, leaving you with the unenviable "Grab with death wish turn 3, go to (at best) 10, play turn 4, hope what isn't there already doesn't kill me" plan. With no Liliana of the Veil, keeping your opponents hand empty forever is tough, and you have 4 fewer answers to a resolved TNN, even though that card is on a bit of a decline at the moment. Since you can't keep their hand empty or blow up their lands, RUG Delver and anything with cantrips can probably rebuild and resolve a goyf or something to just kill you and you don't have the CA engines (or as hard of a lock) of a Loam Pox or Lands. You might have a favorable matchup with the non-blue fair decks but beyond that, it's going to be rough sailing.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I, for one, will not be putting Goyfs in storm.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Valicious posted:

PTQ on Saturday, I'm running Affinity. Need advice on sideboad.

1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Torpor Orb
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Spellskite
1 Blood moon
2 Nature's Claim (Can't find my 2nd one. If LGS doesn't have one, looking at using Back to Nature or Ancient Grudge)
3 Thoughtseize
1 Whipflare

I've been seeing a few lists that run Choke as a one-of. The big question is if it's worth it?
Thoughts?

-1 Grafdigger's Cage
-1 Torpor Orb
-2 Ethersworn Canonist
-2 Phyrexian Revoker
-2 Spellskite
-1 Blood moon
-2 Nature's Claim
-1 Whipflare

+4 Tarmogoyf
+4 Overgrown Tomb
+4 Dark Confidant

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 23, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

There are. This is my revolutionary Eight Tarmogoyf transformational sideboard plan.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

LordSaturn posted:

I want to know where this is, so I can drop Red/White Prison on them. "Hey kid, you ever get beat to death by an Inferno Titan?" :getin:

I think you mean Blue/White and the answer is "Have you ever taken 20 points of damage from a Blind Obedience?"

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Shavnir posted:

prothean hulk.

girl you can't leave me hangin' like this

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Travis Woo is trash garbage from my rear end that steals cool ideas and then Travis Woos them which means adding a dumb janky combo or interaction which also makes the idea worse. I hope that concludes this matter.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I had a comedy post typed up where I make suggested changes except the changes make it so you aren't playing Maverick anymore.

I mean... it's fine? As a combo player I'm never excited to see a Spirit of the Labyrinth, and that holds a sword pretty well. I'm not sure what sort of sick tech those Scryb Sprites are but I'd probably drop them for another Stoneforge. Some RIPs in the sideboard seem good, and if you go the RIP/Spirit path Enlightened tutor packages like you find in D&T also seem fine. I don't play Maverick so I'm not sure if KotR tutoring for Bojuka Bog is fast enough. Seems like it definitely is not against Reanimator.

Your Sneak and Show matchup should be pretty solid. Thalia is a problem for them, Gaddock Teeg shuts off Sneak Attack, and Karakas + O-rings in the board means you can kill their things dead. Four chokes, while spicy, is probably 1 or 2 too many.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I don't think its the best plan to board in RIP in Maverick, you need to have large Knights to finish off the game quickly.

Is there merit to having RIP for the matchups where it just wins the game? Does such a matchup even really exist? I do not Maverick (or anything attacking meaningfully with creatures, lol) but I understand the general idea of disruption + a decent clock is your plan against aggro. I've watched a few games of maverick and I see it winning at a reasonable pace with just suited up dorks, since in the combo matchups they're basically unopposed until the turn the combo player wins the game.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

kizudarake posted:

2 Evolving Wilds
2 Forest
3 Mana Confluence
6 Mountain
2 Mutavault
4 Terramorphic Expanse
3 Amulet of Vigor
3 Birds of Paradise
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
4 Rancor
4 Madcap Skills
3 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Warren Instigator
4 Goblin Chieftain
3 Krenko, Mob Boss
1 Parallel Lives
2 Teferi's Puzzle Box
1 Doubling Season
4 Goblin Rally

I'm physically ill looking at this list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

Any of you guys planning to go to GP New Jersey. I've been thinking about going, but the trip to New Jersey seems outlandish to me.

But SCG is hosting it and they are making a compelling argument. Participants get a cool Brainstorm playmat, deckbox, and sleeves.

http://www.magicgp.com/GPNewJersey/index.html

Yeah I'm going. Not sure what I want to sling while I'm up there. If I can grind some byes, I'll take Enchantments for a spin again :getin:

• Locked thread