Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

So, this may be stupid, but how does the Cerberus wincon in Burrito play out? I'm trying to picture it.
Also the Familiar Combo... is it basically "use the familiars so every time you play "free" spells you end up ahead on mana, then play cloud of faeries and flicker and bounce it enough times to mill them out via Denizen?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Legacy Burn decks that splash black for Bump in the Night might choose Tyrant's Choice as a one-sided Flame Rift? Council's Judgement answers TNN. A lot of the reprints are extremely legacy-relevant cards. Notably, this is only the second possible way to get a foil Brainstorm aside from a no-longer-available promo.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

Mercadian Masques had foils...

That's why I said second. Sorry, my wording was unclear; what I meant was "Not counting that no-longer-available promo, this is only the second way to get a Brainstorm foil."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

So I played some Modern for the first time tonight with my monoR Affinity build. I had to proxy a Mox Opal and four of my sideboard cards, but people were cool about it. I was nervous but I've read articles and watched lots of Pro Tour footage so I felt ok.

First guy I played was on UG Tron. I just blew him out in game after game with T4-T5 kills. Blood Moon did work.

Second guy was on MonoR burn. He took a couple off me, but I was able to win more than I lost (5W 2L I think) just by having more staying power; he had to throw stuff at my dudes to not die, which slowed him down. Etched Champions ruined him.

Third guy was on UR Delver. A neat deck, but way too slow, not enough threats. I won 2-0 or 3-0, don't remember.

Fourth guy was on Turbotwin. Game 1 I wasn't sure what it was and got blown out by the combo on T4 (tapped out for an Etched Champion and he Pestermited EOT then untapped with Twin). Game 2 I managed to grind him out after he couldn't find both his combo pieces and protection for them, and I held back threats. Game 3 we stopped because the next round of limited was starting, but I had a Skite, Torpor Orb, Champion and some other stuff on board so I felt good about it, since he didn't have Goyfs or any of the other tempo pieces Twin sometimes plays.

Modern is fun. Looking forward to playing more of it when I get my last Opal.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Valicious posted:

Incoming Magic talk:

Just got back from Modern State Championships. I took the standard Affinity deck playing a 2/2 Master of Etherium/Etched Champion split, 3 Thoughtcasts, 4 Galvanic Blasts.

Round 1: Ad Nauseam
He got his combo game 1 the turn before I would swing for lethal. I Thoughtseized a Simian Spirit Guide that he would've used to go off the next turn, then I swung for lethal. In game 3 he just didn't draw the right cards, and I bashed face.
2-1

Round 2: Goblin Guide/Burn
Girl was very new to Modern. She threw a bunch of burn spells to my face in game 1, but I outraced her. She got me down to 7 life in game 2 througb a combination of burn spells a Goblin Guides. I saw she had no cards in hand, so I paid 2 life to cast a Vault Skirge and an Etched Champion. She didn't draw a burn spell, so I suited up my Skirge with two Platings and swung to stabalize. I got lethal the next turn.
2-0

Round 3: American Control
I don't remember too much of this round. I got the nut draw in game 1 and won easily, then got Spellskite and a Plated Champion swinging to chop him down game 2.
2-0

Round 4:
I don't remember what I played.
2-0

Round 5: UW Control
Game 1 was close in that it was a race between my Plated Chamion and his Celestial Colonade. I drew a Galvanic Blast and killed his Colonade when it tried to attack. I equipped a second Plating on my Champion, then tried to cast another Champion. He nodded, we proceeded to Combat, and I swung for lethal with my Double Plated Champion. After counting up damage and realizing it was lethal, he announced he actually had a response to me casting the Champion and cracked a fetch to Remand it. I would've called Judge!, but the attack was still lethal anyways so I didn't bother.
In game 2 he got mana screwed with two Verdicts in hands. I figured he had a wrath, but I just played as fast as I could and killed him.
2-0

Round 6: We decided to draw.

cut to top 8, I'm top seed.

Round 1: I was playing against some GW rogue deck.
I just killed him with an explosive start in game 1. The downside was I didn't see more than 33 land and a Qasali Pridemage and a Birds of Paradise.. I assumed (incorrectly) he was playing Pod.
Game 2: I started out fast enough by beating him down to high single-digits and 5 poison. He plays a Stony Silence and flashes in an Aven Mindcensorto trade with one of my attackers. (He also has a Qasali Pridemage just sitting there.) I topdeck a Wear // Tear and jam it down to blow up the Silence. He's down to low single-digits by this point when he plays a Worship. I'm trying to survive until I can draw my second Wear // Tear or get in for poison. (It should be noted he has a Ghost Quarter in play.) The game progresses and he has played another Avwn Mindcensor and a [card]Linvala, Keeper of Silence, as well as equipped them with Sword of Fire and Ice and Sword of War and Peace respectively. I had 3 Inkmoths, two Ravagers, and two Platings out. (as well as a ton of land and ways to produce colored) He eventually beat me to death after he played Kitaki, (A few people told me that I could have animated all three Inkmoths, then flashed on plating to the unblocked one after blocks when he just had two fliers. The problem with this lies in his Pridemage and Ghost Quarter.)
Game 3: I changed my sideboard by taking out Anti-Pod like Grafdigger's Cage and putting in Ancient Grudge. I started strong and whittled him down to 9 life. I was holding two Galvanic Blasts in hand when he topdecked a Worship with three creatures in play. He played a Loxodon Smiter, then I play Thoughtseize with him holding one card in hand. It was another Smiter. He proceeded to just beat me down with me trying to stall as long as I could to try to topdeck a Wear // Tear. I eventually succumbed to his army (He had Gavony Township as well), and lot.
1-2
The judges and the gathered crowd of about 12 said it was some of the best and most intense Magic they have ever seen.
Round time: slightly over two hours.

I ended up getting the top 8 playmat and tokens/points, but was a bit bummed I only won six packs.

I'd love to see your Affinity decklist (or at least sideboard). My Affinity brew is feeling kinda dated; my board still has 4x Canonist to fight Storm and its variants, which don't really dominate the metagame. I was thinking of dropping two for Wear/Tear or Tormod's Crypt or SOMETHING. Also I'm running Etched Champion as a four-of and Steel Overseer as a 1-of, which I'm sure I had a good reason for but I can't think of it now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

ughhhhh I hate that Tarmogoyf-artifact "affinity" deck that just Top 8'd GP Kobe. It's not actually Affinity, he's just on the burn/beatdown plan.

I can almost read his thought process: Tarmogoyf is a 2-mana big/big+1, ensoul is a 2-mana hasty 5/5 that sometimes flies or is indestructible, so they're the two best fast beaters in the format. Then Shrapnel Blast and Galvanic Blast are the two best burn spells in the format, but they (and Ensoul) both require you to be running artifacts, so cram a bunch of 0-drops in. Then you're already running a bunch of artifacts so throw in Cranial Plating and change some of your lands to artifact lands/nexuses to up the count. Add some disruption and season with mana rocks to taste. I don't actually think it's a dumb or bad deck, but it is basically a zoo deck that loses to a lot more cards, and I hate that badwrong Affinity players are gonna start trying to jam Goyfs into their list as is. Not every pile is better with a Goyf in it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 25, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

As an Affinity player, Chalice is an interesting card. A Chalice on 2 locks me entirely out of my power drops (Ravager, Plating) but I can still power through with manlands, and I fear a lot of 2-drops (Kataki, Recall). A Chalice on 1 locks out a chunk of my deck and does slow me down, but it also slows down my opponent and doesn't keep me off power. Chalice on 0 hurts the most, but mostly for the loss of Mox Opal; Ornithopter and Memnite are pretty marginal. My build relies heavily on manlands which may distort my perspective.

NovemberMike posted:

That No Affinity deck looks pretty strong. T1 Ensoul Artifact on an Ornithopter or a Darksteel Citadel seems to lead to realistic T3 kills against decks with a lot of pain and it has great topdecks with Ensoul, Goyf and Plating.

ugh that deck. It's a very greedy deck, it basically just runs the best 2-drop beaters, the most efficient burn, and the support suite needed and calls it a day. It's not really built around the idea of swarming with efficient robots like Affinity. No Affinity folds really hard to Abrupt Decay and Spell Snare since all of the ways it can win are two-drops (compared to a regular Affinity deck which can get there through poison and Signal Pest swarming). The only Ensoul target that doesn't open you up strongly to Decay two-for-ones is Citadel, but whoops, the deck runs no basics so gets blown out by Path. It seems well-positioned to hit the meta in Japan-- the top 8 had no Rock decks, which I imagine is the worst matchup for this deck because of how it can trade resources. Rock is a really strong deck and I think it's poised to break out big-time into the meta, so I don't like No Affinity.

Or maybe I'm just biased because I hate it when people jam Goyfs into existing decks because ITS GOYF :downs:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

LaTex Fetish posted:

well when goyf starts getting thrown into every deck just because (affinity with goyf lol), they might just ban it in modern.

I seriously hope they don't and I don't think it deserves a ban. It's a big efficient vanilla fatty that dies to every form of removal under the sun (ok maybe not Bolt). The only thing that might make them ban it is if people really do start jamming piles of Goyfs into any deck that generate green mana.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

It's also a burn spell that can be pitched to force of will

ding ding ding

They'd run Electrolyze if it wasn't cost-prohibitive. "Can be pitched to FoW" is a huge consideration on whether a card is playable in Legacy.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The big thing I like about fetches is just more people playing Modern. My regular opponent is a great guy but he plays Ad Nauseum which is not exactly a meta-representative deck, and since I play Affinity most of our games are just us fishbowling against each other.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Everblight posted:

*goldfishing

that thing, whatever. i guess fishbowling could work because it's like, we're both just playing around in a bowl without interacting? Who cares. We were interacting with each other in a manner that could readily be analogized to household aquatic pets and the environments in which they dwell.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Someone on Salvation (ugh I know) has been brewing the best new Modern deck I've seen since Blue Moon. No name yet but it centers on Temur Ascendancy. The plan is to run Serum Visions and Gitaxian Probes (and use aggressive mulling) to hit the Ascendancy, supporting it with Bolts (and maybe Remand) in the early game, then start playing Vexing Devil, Sheltering Ancient, Vexing Sphinx, Imaginary Pet, Cosmic Larva, Hell's Thunder and Goyf (among other options; I've seen Esperzoa, Thrun, Vengevine and Lavacore Elemental). It's basically a ton of 2-drops with huge stats and drawbacks that take effect at EoT or next upkeep. Ascendancy gives them all haste so you can just sac them (or bounce them in the case of Esperzoa and Imaginary Pet) after getting value, and it makes them all cantrip so you can just chain creature into creature into creature into creature. Comedy option Eater of Days can finish since I hear a 9/8 flying trampler for 4 is pretty good value.

Obviously never a tier 1 deck but it just seems so loving cool to play, just making GBS threads out giant hellspawn every turn and refilling your hand constantly off of them.

Imaginary Pet is pure card advantage, it's a 2-mana spell that says "Deal 4 damage to target player or a creature that player controls of that player's choice, draw a card, then return this card to your hand" a lot of the time. You can play Bolt, Remand, Electrolyze, and Falter for value.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

As neat as that all sounds, I'm pretty sure that if there's a Temur Ascendancy deck in Modern (even a Tier 2 one) it's not one where 90% of the cards in the deck blow rear end when Ascendancy isn't on the board. That thing's gonna be eating countermagic, Abrupt Decay, Nature's Claim, etc. all day erryday.

If you can somehow make it into something like Pod where it's all good cards that go off when you do manage to stick the Ascendancy, then we could start talking.

Yeah, that's obviously a huge point of failure. There is countermagic backup but Abrupt Decay is the big one that really shuts the deck off and even if you put stuff like Witness in to make it more resilient you are taking gas out. I want it to work so badly :(.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Is stax still a viable archetype in Legacy? I kind of want to stick my toe in the format, but I'm haunted by the fear that someone might enjoy playing a game against me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Chamale posted:

Look for the Soldiers deck that was posted upthread, it's like Stax but good. Chalice of the Void on 1 and Thalia are a beating against a lot of the format, and Suppression Field can just steal a pile of wins.

But I really want to Turn 1 Trinisphere :(

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Frank Lepore is running the deck in 4 rounds of videos on magic.tcgplayer.com today, if you want to see it in action.

That deck is precious and priceless. I do think siding in a couple pieces of noncreature disruption would be sweet tech, especially if the deck becomes known so that people figure out what it is and side out anything that doesn't interact with creatures. Boom! You bring in a couple of Mana Leak/Spell Pierce or what have you.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Ville Valo posted:

Anyone played the Reset version of High Tide that they deckteched at the GP? I'm always looking for more decks I can add to my bag-o-legacy, and that one's mighty inexpensive. No candelabras!

Feline didn't finish too highly, but that doesn't mean it was a bad build. She's pretty much THE expert on the (candelabra version of the) deck, and if that's the version she went with it's gotta be legit, right?

I was talking to her end of Day 1. She says that it's definitely weaker than the traditional High Tide, but she went with it to shake things up and surprise people who are used to her since she never runs anything but High Tide. She said this is the closest she's probably going to come to playing a non-High Tide deck in a competitive event.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

A little annoyed that Chalice spiked while I still need another one, but at least my first two were cheap.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I'm trying to brew something stupid in Modern using Cloudshift, Congregation at Dawn and Manifest cards in Bant. Basically you're trying to stack your deck with Emrakul, then Manifest him and flicker him. The problem is that this isn't really all that much faster than Through the Breach-- if you T1 Hierarch or Birds, you can T2 Congregation, T3 manifest and flicker and swing T4, which is great but very reliant on the right draw. I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on that.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I genuinely can't imagine them not reprinting goyf unless they intend to ban it (not happening).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The Modern version is Emrakul and Xenagod. One of Cheon's opponents in his Burn videos for CFB used it as a win con in Jeskai Ascendancy of all things.

I saw that deck and I think it's not great. It folds to interaction of almost any kind. Bloom Tender is a hell of a card but I think it's better in Bloom Titan, a deck that has modes other than "win the game" and "do nothing."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I'm starting to think that Rest in Peace is the real deal as a sideboard option for Affinity. I liked Cage because it was easier to cast and counted towards my artifact limit, but RiP hoses Goyfs and Storm decks in addition to just Snapcaster and Goryo's Vengeance (which is barely seeing any play). If that Tooth and Nail variant people were testing with Emrakul + Xenagod gets popular I'll have to go back to Cages, but right now RiP seems to be very well positioned. The question is 1 or 2?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Yeah, it sucks hosing Ravager, and the decks I'm likely to play RiP against are running plenty of 1-for-1 or 2-for-1 removal where I'd really like to be able to use Modular. Still, reducing Goyfs to permanent 0/1s is a big deal, as is turning off Snapcaster.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

What about leyline or nihil spellbomb? Or relic? Both help with metal craft, you can sac them to ravager and both draw cards...

I've been running Relic, but it's more vulnerable to the hate that people bring in against me and is also a much less permanent solution. If Dredgevine or similar decks become popular it won't be nearly fast or effective enough.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

It's super relevant against Storm because it's very hard for them to go off without Ascension (not impossible, especially if they have a live Electromancer, but much much harder). It makes all Goyfs 0/1 forever, although with Abzan playing Tasigur and Siege Rhino as alternate beaters that means less. It shuts off Snapcasters, but the deck playing Snapcaster most effectively right now is Twin who loves it when you take a turn off to play a card that doesn't affect the board and doesn't interact with their combo. It beats U/UW Tron pretty nicely (especially since that deck's alternate win con besides Mindslaver locking is often a Gifts package.

If Dredgevine becomes a big deal in Modern then I expect RiP will be a reliable sideboard card. Incidentally, it hoses Arcbound Ravager shenanigans, which is too narrow a use case to board it in vs. Affinity but is still frustrating.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

So is Display of Dominance good enough for Legacy? It's 1G: Destroy target Jace or Lili, or 1G: counter target Abrupt Decay, Murderous Cut, Beast Within etc.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I made a pauper thread a while back but nobody posted in it :(.
I run Goblins. It's super cheap even by Pauper standards and matches up decently well against the meta, which is heavy UR Delver/Nivix Blitz right now. The worst match ups are Mono B Control which is still 40-50% and Mono G Stompy which is thankfully rare.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Affinity for now and always, my card advantage is that I poo poo my hand of draft chaff commons onto the board in the first two turns and you die with a full grip :cool:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

I can vouch that Shackles is really good against Robots. The problem is it's really bad against their really good hands because if you tap out to play it you're dead. It's a great way to nail the coffin shut after you deal with their initial offensive and it's one of the few cards that deals with a metalcrafted Etched Champion. That said, I'd rather have all 3 of my sideboard Grudges than the first Shackles

As a Robots player I strongly disagree, it's "good" in the sense that it interacts and you want interaction, but in the same sense Ghostfire interacts with Robots for cheaper. I love it when my opponent makes 5-mana plays that kill one dude, because then he's not wiping my board for 3 mana with Anger of the Gods or whatever. Cranial Plating and Arcbound Ravager both match up very well against Shackles, as well.

Five mana is way, way, way too much against Affinity and there are about a billion cards more effective than Shackles, the only times that a Shackles is winning you the game is when you already "won" because you managed to make it to turn 5 with enough board presence/life that you could afford to take a turn off.

mcmagic posted:

What are you talking about? Or are you just being an rear end in a top hat as usual?

I normally think people in this thread are a little harsh on you but what you said was very stupid. Shackles is almost always a sorcery-speed Doom Blade against Affinity, and if they have one of their Platings and a couple colored sources it's not even that.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 18, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This post is what is stupid from my perspective. As a Twin player you're already playing Anger and some number of Grudge's which you are bringing in so it's not like you're going to replace those cards with Shackles so those arguments aren't valid. You're also bringing up cards like Ghostfire that no one in their right mind would put in a Twin SB. Shackles is in the SB because it's great in a large number of matchups.

Also the idea that Twin is "taking a turn off" by playing shackles is a weird statement about a deck that pretty much only plays at instant speed. If you don't see the value in forcing an affinity player to sac a Ravager or move a Cranial Plating BEFORE combat in addition to stealing one of their creatures, you are probably a pretty terrible affinity player and don't understand your deck.

no, it is you that is wrong.

The reason I brought up Ghostfire is that it is a terrible card that no Twin player would play, and yet it is still better than Shackles against Affinity. I assumed you were talking about leaving in maindeck Shackles postboard, which I can sort of understand if you're light on interaction in the SB, but if you're boarding IN the Shackles then you are truly without hope.

Also I'm confused about your second statement because if you play at instant speed then tapping three mana at sorcery speed to do... nothing, immediately... is in fact exactly taking a turn off. That's what it is. Forcing an Affinity player to sac Ravager is nice, but when it takes your whole turn to do so and you still get beefed in the head for however much you were going to anyways it's kind of a sucky consolation prize. Especially since in this scenario you don't have blockers because you wasted your mana playing these stupid handcuffs that don't actually do anything because anything you target with them is going to either be sacked in response or equipped at instant speed in response, leaving it an illegal target and countering your ability.

EDIT: yeah I genuinely think you don't understand how Affinity works or what points I was making because you seem to have misinterpreted me. I don't think Cranial Plating counters Shackles because you can just move it elsewhere. I think Cranial Plating counters Shackles because it makes whatever it's equipped to an illegal target due to having a jillion power and then you spent five mana to force me to tap two mana.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

kizudarake posted:

I'm in. Modern's my poo poo.

I'll do it, if I have time. Doesn't seem like that much of a time commitment.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Huh, guess we're doing this. Affinity in Modern, and I'm about a billion cards away from either Death and Taxes or MUD in Legacy. I need Karakas for the first, City of Traitors for the second, and Ports and Wastelands for both :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

What's a good xx card in modern? A reason to be in those colors?

GB - abrupt decay
UW - collonade/verdict
GW - smiter/wiltleaf liege
RG - burning tree emissary
RU - electrolyze/counterflux/keranos?
UG - hmm
UB - glimpse the unthinkable?
BW - lingering souls
BR - blightning/Olivia?
WR - lightning helix

I'm uncertain on the ? Combos and I can't think of a ug one

RG is going to be Atarka's Command and also gives Ghor-Clan Rampager for zoo. GW benefits from Gavony Township. UR gives you Goblin Electromancer for Storm.
This is kind of a weird post though because when you're building a modern deck you generally don't pick your colors first and then decide what you want to do, you build an established archetype and figure out what colors you need to make it work. Burn for instance was traditionally mono-red but Boros Charm and Lightning Helix pressure it to go RW and then you need enchantment hate to deal with Leylines so you bring in green for Destructive Revelry (and now Atarka's Command).

• Locked thread