Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Everblight posted:

If you have 3R available, why not just cast Sneak Attack rather than this guy, then pay 15 life to Sneak Attack the same turn?

If you have 3RR available, you can Sneak this guy in and then several friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Legacy Burn decks that splash black for Bump in the Night might choose Tyrant's Choice as a one-sided Flame Rift? Council's Judgement answers TNN. A lot of the reprints are extremely legacy-relevant cards. Notably, this is only the second possible way to get a foil Brainstorm aside from a no-longer-available promo.

Mercadian Masques had foils...

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

AnacondaHL posted:

Just keep playing Canadian Threshold, now known as RUG Delver, assuming you already have the goyfs, forces, and manabase. It's still an inexplicably solid deck that wins tournaments.

Disruption plus efficient beaters that are hard to kill combined with lots of filtering make for a very consistent deck. I don't think it's that inexplicable. :)

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
The Zendikar fetches are good, he means those should be the only things you might need to pick up that are pricey.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

I would, but they cost too much. Plus I don't use them very often. The 12 lands cost me $2.50 at a con. Usually I just loan them out when modern PTQ season is around to friends who don't have them.

$12 for a playset of Antiquities Urza's Towers is too much? In a deck that runs Grove of the Burnwillows, Karn, and Emrakul?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Valicious posted:

Can someone point me to some recent write-ups and lists for Modern Affinity? I have the deck built, been testing it a bit, but I feel like I'm missing something. It just isn't fast.
I'm looking to start some serious training for Modern season and the PTQ here in July.

What is your 75?

What do you consider 'fast'?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Valicious posted:

I side out champions and side in spellskites. It sucks that I can't redirect all 18 damage with a single Spellskite activation rather than 6 activations, but losing 12 is better than 18 I guess.
Spell Pierce just doesn't seem to do anything since they can easily just pay the 2, I think Remand would be better in this case since they would still have to sacrifice all their land.

You should also be siding in Blood Moon. They actually can't kill you under a Blood Moon unless they are running titans.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I don't like the Archangel/Spike Feeder combo, personally. I run basically your main 60 but minus those two cards, plus Pontiff and a 3rd Voice. -1 Thicket, +1 Marsh Flats. I agree with the other sideboard suggestions. Also, don't run Creeping Corrosion.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

En Fuego posted:

Why not corrosion?

Creeping Corrosion kills your Pods and Spellskite, can't be tutored for, is a singleton, and costs FOUR. I'd run another Quasali Pridemage if you need another artifact hate card. But against Affinity, Kataki, the MD hate cards, Harmonic Sliver, and Dismember should be enough. YMMV though.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
You wait until the Storm copies are on the stack, then respond with MBT to exile all of them and the original.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

And it takes their count down to zero?

Storm count actually goes up by one from you casting the Trap, but all of their extra copies (and the original) are valid targets for you to exile.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Everblight posted:

I took the thread's advice and removed the Hurkyl's for an even 1/1/1 of Shattering Spree, Shatterstorm and Wear/Tear. I just can't give up that instant-speed goodness that Wear/Tear brings to the table, since all-in on an Inkmoth Nexus is just too much. I am curious, though, how exactly Shattering Spree gets around Spell Pierce... did it get errata'd to be a creature spell while I was out? Or does Replicate work like storm where they have to counter each one?

The Replicate copies aren't countered.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

DarkRider09 posted:

My goal is now to play this and have Dio playing every time I pull out the deck.

You've been down too long in the midnight sea.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Wadjamaloo posted:

That UB not UW.

Midnight Sea
Land
T: Add U or B to your mana pool and throw up the horns.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

What I did: Keep the hand, T1 Flooded Strand, fetch Volcanic Island, Delver, pass turn.

That seems fine. It's definitely the aggressive play line and you only really get punished for it if they have the Wasteland. That's pretty good odds in your favor.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

technolizard posted:

Looking for some advice. I'm borrowing a friend's storm deck to play my first modern event at my LGS. The deck is pretty much complete, but the sideboard is a little lacking. Can anyone suggest some good sideboard cards for storm? Any general advice on storm is welcome too.

Here you go.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Static Equilibrium posted:

I haven't played with vandalblast but the extra mana to wipe affinity's board seems pretty relevant!

The one mana to kill a Skullclamp Cranial Plating is also relevant. It's a tradeoff. The difference between 4-5 mana with storm is not huge though.

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 22, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Everblight posted:

If we're talking about Legacy, then why not run Pulverize up the flagpole?

I'm dumb and meant Cranial Plating.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Network42 posted:

You should probably get a little more familiar with the game and format before you buy an expensive deck.

Especially modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

numerrik posted:

I'm not playing in tournaments just some kitchen table, and the rare Wednesday night magic

Pauper is the format you should be looking at in that case! Unless you just have tons of dollars that you hate having for some reason?

• Locked thread