Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Mr. Kite posted:

Out of 7 games, only game 4 had a single team lead all the way through. This was an amazing series.

So what you're saying is the Kings eeked by off sheer luck. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The two finalists represent the 10th and 12th teams in overall league regular season standings.

Kopitar currently has 19 assists. He can realistically reach 23, which would be the most since 1994 (Leetch). If the series goes 6 or 7, he may hit 25, which would tie him with Gilmour and Gretzky in 1993.

Gaborik currently has 12 goals. He can realistically pass Crosby's 15 in 2009.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

fits posted:

Quick playoff save percentage, 5v5:

2011-12: 20GP, 94.6%, 26.6 SA/60
2012-13: 18GP, 94.3%, 28.2 SA/60
2013-14: 21GP, 91.2%, 29.2 SA/60

Lundqvist:

2011-12: 20GP, 93.9%, 25.6 SA/60
2012-13: 12GP, 94.4%, 33.9 SA/60 ( :stare: )
2013-14: 20GP, 93.7%, 28.5 SA/60

Quick is playing worse than his previous playoffs, Lundqvist remains remarkably consistant

almost as though he doesn't actually elevate his game in the playoffs

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

fits posted:

Quick playoff save percentage, 5v5:

2011-12: 20GP, 94.6%, 26.6 SA/60
2013-14: 21GP, 91.2%, 29.2 SA/60
I was looking at this for a minute trying to figure out what was odd about it. Then I realized the Kings have played more games in this post-season so far than they did in 2012.

Not that I want to do through another game 7, but how crazy would it be if the Kings went 16-4 in 2012 then 16-12 in 2014.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

If the Rags win, Lundqvist is sure to be the CS winner. And that would mean all the Lundqvist nuthuggers would be insufferable. And he doesn't need any more things going for him, that handsome lucky bastard!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Don't fight it. Give in.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Hawks made the mistake of not having anyone die, surely they could have sacrificed a cousin or the equipment manager.

Btw, last two teams before tonight that eliminated Chicago are the Coyotes and Vancouver. Who? Exactly, you done hosed up LA.

onemillionzombies fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 2, 2014

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
D Sutter is about the only really awesome thing LA has going for them. The Kings looked absolutely terrible in their first three games against SJ and people were calling out Dustin Brown for being a huge pussy pretty much verbatim on air. The turnaround and being the first team to win three seven game series in a row is very impressive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Let's Go The New York Rangers Hocky Team I Guess

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

lightpole posted:

Kings will win in 7 games after dropping the first 3 in grand style, Quick will stop everything that comes near him, especially anything shot high, Dustin Brown will be named MVP, there will be an earthquake seconds after Brown scores the winning goal and the whole country except LA will break off and fall into the ocean.

Good thing there was literally an earthquake in LA around the moment they beat Chicago.

I work for the Dodgers and it was funny how literally was crowding around the windows in the clubs watching the Kings game and not the game on the field.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have a feeling going from the 5th, 2nd and 1st top scoring teams in the league to the 18th might wind up perking up Quick's Sv% a little bit.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

:siren: 3rd Round Pick'em Update! :siren:

Before the numbers - get your picks in now! Click here to do it, you lazy slobs. Pretty easy round! Anyone can play!

Note: I am implementing a slightly varied bonus round for the finals - a 5 point bonus for team/length, but also a :siren: 5 point bonus for correctly guessing the skater who scores the cup-winning goal. :siren: Make sure you get your guess in if, as some have, you already have your pick in.

And onward:

We have two super geniuses this round! Spiteful president EvilJimmyCarter overcomes his fandom handicap to go an inspiring 2 for 2, including series length! A feat so nice, Rangers fans pull it twice as one Zodijackylite does the same.

The race has tightened up considerably. Evil and Zodj take advantage of perfect bonuses to rocket up the charts as lazerwolf and T-Bone suddenly have company despite solid rounds of their own. Dak02 has sneakily spare-changed his way into the running, too. This is much closer than it looked to be for a while. I am sitting precariously in 14th, 6 points away from both 6th and a 7-way tie for 29th. I expect everyone from 6-35 to roll over if they know what's good for them.

Also note Hand Knit is sitting in a paltry 18th which, according to a rarely-cited forum rule, means he must relinquish his role as mod to 17 superior hockey minds if things stay the same.

And finally, if you count weirdo JawKnee there are 5 habs fans in the top 15. Clearly this is our Stanley Cup.

SAS posted:

T-Bone 53
EvilJimmyCarter 52
lazerwolf 50
Zodijackylite 50
Dak02 48
Duro 41
Zat 40
Pancakes by Mail 39
whatis 39
menthol moose 38
-10-
Xtanstic 38
OldSenileGuy 37
Jaw Knee 36
Stickarts 36
HOW COULD YOU 35
astr0man 34
CBJSprague24 34
darkwolf220 34
Hand Knit 34
mono 34
-20-
Veskit 34
Zamboni Jesus 34
CDX 32
Drunk Canuck 32
fancy stats 32
Mind_Taker 32
mennoknight 31
Thufir 31
Twin Cinema 31
DickBoat 30
-30-
Flyinglemur 30
JayMax 30
Rutkowski 30
Stanos 30
ThinkTank 30
Bilirubin 28
Blackbelt Bobman 28
ffoecaf 28
Hockles 28
Karnegal 28
-40-
MononcQc 28
SporkofTruth 28
fits 27
.Spec 26
HookShot 26
Infidel Castro 26
Knowlue 26
Pleads 26
revtoiletduck 26
Topoisomerase 26
-50-
HootTheOwl 24
kalensc 24
Pierre McGuire 24
Sadmantongue 24
wonderllama 24
a false 22
deafmute 22
Jordan7hm 22
Kilza 22
Diet Crack 20
-60-
INSPECTAH DECK 20
MrCodeDude 20
Rene Rancourt 20
ShyftedOne 20
Technetium 20
EVGA Longoria 19
Guignol 18
Naet 18
NJD2005 18
Shoeonhead22 18
-70-
The Angry Bum 18
THE MACHO MAN 18
Austrian mook 16
BOXC 16
Chad Sexington 16
Furnaceface 16
Grimby 16
ist 16
AAB 14
deadEd 14
-80-
Jedimastafez 14
Shinjobi 14
tofes 14
aejix 12
goldrush 12
Kreez 12
mutations 12
Rotten Cookies 12
VJeff 12
yellow car 12
-90-
Filthee Fingas 10
marsisol 10
mcvey 10
Shadow Ninja 64 10
SURPRISE WITNESS 10
Buane 8
Daeno 8
double sulk 8
Laderhan 8
marioinblack 8
-100-
flakeloaf 6
Habibi 6
Largo LaForge 6
Levitate 6
Porrima 6
RC Cola 6
Tailored Sauce 6
Verviticus 6
Wrax 6
johnfw50 4
-110-
Serisothikos 4
stab 4
Zyla 4
Kilonum 2
Martytoof 2
Sharks Eat Bear 2

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Ki7yp2XL0&t=22s

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yay Kings. But ugh, they're just too nerve-wracking for me to watch sometimes. I love their crazy never give up attitude but they don't half make things hard for themselves sometimes. Still, I've had a bit of a break from watching these playoffs, and I think I'm reenergized enough to actually watch the next round, however long it might be.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm not used to following sports franchises that are actually like, good. This is strange territory.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Hand Knit posted:

The Kings looked really tired towards the end of that series and the Rangers are a pretty good team themselves! Given what each team had to get through to get to the finals, and the gap between Lundqvist and Quick, I'm not even convinced that LA is the favourite.

I wouldn't go that far but the Kings having played three 7 games series to this point and only getting 2 days of rest, one of which is flying back to LA, probably does help the Rangers

Basically...if Quick keeps playing like he has and Lundqvist plays as his normal self then the Rangers have a decent shot, but as LA showed over and over, they are an extremely resilient team so you can't ever count them out.

Furnaceface posted:

The Kings have looked tired since game 4 of the SJ series and it hasnt stopped them yet. Neither has Quick being average at best. I still think they will easily take the series, but you know Lundqvist is going to steal at least 1.

They haven't faced a good goalie in these playoffs yet.

At any rate basically I think if the Rangers can keep the games tight and relatively low scoring we'll see a close series, but one that could either go the distance or one where it's short but each game is quite close and one team just pulls out the wins more often. I do think the Kings are the favorites but I'd be a bad fan if I didn't think the Rangers could pull it off.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!

VJeff posted:

I have a feeling going from the 5th, 2nd and 1st top scoring teams in the league to the 18th might wind up perking up Quick's Sv% a little bit.

I've been wondering about that, wouldn't that likely not affect his sv% as much as GAA? Is higher scoring a result of better shooting% or more shots on net at the team level?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Axe Master posted:

I've been wondering about that, wouldn't that likely not affect his sv% as much as GAA? Is higher scoring a result of better shooting% or more shots on net at the team level?

fancy stats says team defense doesn't affect save percentage

e: though that is a slightly different situation, a low shooting percentage team might improve a goalies save percentage, I dunno I"m dumb pretend I didn't say anything

Levitate fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 2, 2014

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

a false posted:

i don't really think they did struggle that badly in the series. the only bad game they played was game 5 which was a mess on all fronts. i also strongly dispute the canadiens-sans-price being the worst team in the playoffs thing, tokarski was plenty good and the absence of price didn't somehow make their forwards and D worse. that was still the same team that beat boston.

http://www.extraskater.com/game/2014-05-19-rangers-canadiens

Also, Montreal was pretty lucky to get by Boston. Well, 'lucky' that Boston fell into the same sort of 'gotta bully Montreal' shtick that they always seem to get into.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

fancy stats posted:

http://www.extraskater.com/game/2014-05-19-rangers-canadiens

Also, Montreal was pretty lucky to get by Boston. Well, 'lucky' that Boston fell into the same sort of 'gotta bully Montreal' shtick that they always seem to get into.

Eh I dispute the fancy stats of that game to some extent. For one, on Montreal's side the possession was almost purely driven by one line and , everyone else was either mediocre or downright bad (Prust, Weiss, and Briere at around -46%)

For two, I think the Rangers basically got their goals and stopped pressing, they pretty much went into "keep Montreal to the outside, let them take easy shots but no second chances or clear chances" and that's how Montreal ended up with 40+ shots and a large number of shot attempts. It wasn't the dominating shut down period 3 that they put on in game 6 but it seemed pretty clear it was a protect the lead strategy and the lead never really felt threatened in that third period.

Basically, despite the fancy stats, the Rangers felt pretty in control of that game with a 3-1 lead.

e: Kevin Klein is one of the best possession players in the playoffs (4th overall) I would not have expected that considering he has not put up good fancy stats in the past

Levitate fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 2, 2014

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Levitate posted:

For two, I think the Rangers basically got their goals and stopped pressing, they pretty much went into "keep Montreal to the outside, let them take easy shots but no second chances or clear chances" and that's how Montreal ended up with 40+ shots and a large number of shot attempts. It wasn't the dominating shut down period 3 that they put on in game 6 but it seemed pretty clear it was a protect the lead strategy and the lead never really felt threatened in that third period.

Except Montreal was at its best when the score was tied and only very marginally less in the rest of the 5 minutes where the score was close. Only the fourth line and the third pairing were sub-50% during that time.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Don't we need a new thread?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Nobody wants to believe.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

ThinkTank posted:

Fine! I made one:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639580

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
If the Rangers win the finals, who hoists the cup first poses with Bettman?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aphrodite posted:

Minnesota was in this playoffs.

and found a way to advance.
TB was the worst this playoffs which, with it's seven(?) game sevens, the league will consider the new format a success.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Levitate posted:

Basically...if Quick keeps playing like he has and Lundqvist plays as his normal self then the Rangers have a decent shot, but as LA showed over and over, they are an extremely resilient team so you can't ever count them out.

They haven't faced a good goalie in these playoffs yet.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/save_pct_career_p.html

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hiller played poorly and got yanked in favor of rookie goaltenders, and has a rep as running hot and cold. Lundqvist is also a better goalie than Hiller.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Hiller also has weird vertigo-induced scrambled eggs. But my point was that Quick, Lundqvist, and Crawford all have similar save %.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

joeburz posted:

Hiller also has weird vertigo-induced scrambled eggs. But my point was that Quick, Lundqvist, and Crawford all have similar save %.

Not in these playoffs. Also, isn't there a fancy stats version of save %?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Overwined posted:

Not in these playoffs. Also, isn't there a fancy stats version of save %?

I think even strength save percentage is looked upon as a better indicator because short handed save percentage is considered more affected by the team? Or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Stickarts posted:

Also note Hand Knit is sitting in a paltry 18th which, according to a rarely-cited forum rule, means he must relinquish his role as mod to 17 superior hockey minds if things stay the same.

Okay I've talked to Ozma and the reign of Duro should begin shortly.

• Locked thread