Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah but the most irritating team possible came out of the west, so it's pretty much negated.

LA is like the fourth most irritating team in the West at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Kings are 9-1 in the their last 10 playoff series. They had home ice in only 1 of them.

That's... impressive.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

It's not like the Rangers breezed through the East, they needed 2 Game 7s and a Game 6 to get there. I also don't think the Kings played badly at the end of the series. And while I have negative opinions of Quick, he's unlikely to have as bad a series as he had against Chicago. LA should be a pretty big favourite.

The two things that really stuck out to me in game 7 (with respect to LA being tired) was that they seemed undisciplined (taking quite a few penalties) and the several times where their D were beaten through the neutral zone, either off the rush or on puck retrieval. I didn't notice the same thing in NYR against Montreal, although Montreal also can't force those weaknesses like Chicago can. It's just a little thing that erodes LA's advantage.

And, while I agree with you that Quick is likely to be closer to his merely-slightly-below-average self rather than actively bad going forwards, the Rangers having Lundqvist still means that New York has a big advantage in goal. Remember that skaters-out the two teams have fairly similar profiles - low event, possession dominant, low shooting percentage knee-capping the offence - so the difference between the two teams in net is even more pronounced.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Hand Knit posted:

The Rangers are a good hockey team. They control the puck well, are good defensively, and have the equal best goaltender on the planet. That's pretty good.

♫heeeere's the guy that's riiiiight♪

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They're both pretty good possession teams but LA is still better at possession and they did this while being in a tougher conference. La also has home ice and an actually functional powerplay. But Lundqvist is Lundqvist.

I think the Kings will win.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Kings just put up 4 goals/game on the Blackhawks. Lunqvist is great, but he's Eastern Conference great.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jovial Cow posted:

NHL has gotta be thrilled with a Kings Rangers final.

They had their chance and that goal stood.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mr. Kite posted:

The Kings just put up 4 goals/game on the Blackhawks. Lunqvist is great, but he's Eastern Conference great.

People really underestimate the Kings offense. Crawford regressing to his average during this series certainly didnt help, but he is still good enough in the Hawks system to not normally get lit up like he had been this series. Its why I find it funny that anyone can argue the finals will come down to goaltending when it really wont. LA is only slightly worse off in net but better in every other aspect.

This is the worst finals ever because I am defending the loving Kings already. :barf:

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Mr. Kite posted:

The amount of goals scored in the Kings series had a lot to do with the free wheelin' offense both teams played. Thought the defense was really loose or then both teams possessed so much firepower it could only be a shootout. Wouldn't be surprised if the SCF is going to be much tighter defensively and the Kings can do that too very well.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Hand Knit posted:

The Kings looked really tired towards the end of that series and the Rangers are a pretty good team themselves! Given what each team had to get through to get to the finals, and the gap between Lundqvist and Quick, I'm not even convinced that LA is the favourite.

source your quotes

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

People really underestimate the Kings offense. Crawford regressing to his average during this series certainly didnt help, but he is still good enough in the Hawks system to not normally get lit up like he had been this series. Its why I find it funny that anyone can argue the finals will come down to goaltending when it really wont. LA is only slightly worse off in net but better in every other aspect.

This is the worst finals ever because I am defending the loving Kings already. :barf:

I don't think anybody is claiming that the finals will come down to goaltending, but rather that Lundqvist closes the gap between the two teams quite a bit (given that the teams are somewhat similar and the Rangers' skaters are pretty good themselves). Given that short series allow a few bounces to determine an awful lot, I just don't think that the Kings are very big favourites, let alone prohibitive ones.

e:

sba posted:

source your quotes
:(

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hand Knit posted:

And, while I agree with you that Quick is likely to be closer to his merely-slightly-below-average self

I realize he's overrated but is this what he actually is? Like, I'm not saying he isn't but could someone give me the rundown of why exactly.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Grittybeard posted:

I realize he's overrated but is this what he actually is? Like, I'm not saying he isn't but could someone give me the rundown of why exactly.

Just look at his stats. If you erase the 2012 season his numbers are completely pedestrian. Jonathan Quick is not very good.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Ugh I am still absolutely nauseous from watching the Sharks go out like a fart in a hurricane. Normally I would be happy for the 2 (3? Isn't there someone other than Mr Kite and Mao?) Kings fans here and cheering for a Pacific Coast team but I am really struggling. Winning 3 7 game series in a row against some very good teams is pretty impressive.

What I'm trying to say is I hope Dustin Brown gives everyone in the Kings locker room AIDS.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I do love it when everyone shits on the Kings chances and they just roll through but not when they play SJ the first round.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Mr. Kite posted:

I don't think it'll be a sweep, but LA is the clear favorite.

Plus the Kings have been here before. There are Rangers who have been here before, but there is something to be said about institutional advantage for the Kings. They are the better team, though the folks who are saying it's gonna be a 4 game rout might be sorely disappointed once everything is said and done. The Rangers have enough to stick around, and at this point in the year, 3 extra days of rest is a pretty drat big advantage. Kings in 6, though 7 isn't an impossibility.

If anyone is gonna turn this series into a rout though, it'll be LA. If the Rangers win, it'll be in 6 or 7.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

The effect of a team on a goaltender's save percentage is very slight (and it's not like LA is the sort of team where we would assume the goalie is better than his sv%), so a goalie's save percentage can generally be taken as representative of their ability. Quick's career sv% is .915, which I believe is just a hair below the current league average. His six regular seasons have three years where he's around league average (09, 11, 14), one where he was quite good (12), and two where he was quite bad (10, 13). From what he have of his career, which is now six seasons, it seems like he's in the big mushy middle that covers the vast majority of starting goaltenders, just a bit below the median.

Now excuse me while I dumpster dive Quick's even strength save percentages.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Hand Knit posted:

I don't think anybody is claiming that the finals will come down to goaltending, but rather that Lundqvist closes the gap between the two teams quite a bit (given that the teams are somewhat similar and the Rangers' skaters are pretty good themselves). Given that short series allow a few bounces to determine an awful lot, I just don't think that the Kings are very big favourites, let alone prohibitive ones.

that's what i've been saying to people but at this point i have realized that people on the internet love to think they are prescient and know exactly what is going to happen all the time (remember The Bruins Will Win The East In a Cakewalk) and people already have their excuses prepared for the eventuality that the kings to not win ("they were worn down by playing actual good teams") and there is no sense trying to fight that.

if the rangers win the series, which i think they definitely can whether or not anyone believes it right now, i won't care how much "worst team ever to win a cup" rhetoric there is, they will still have won the cup (and the 06 canes were worse anyway)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Kings will win in 7 games after dropping the first 3 in grand style, Quick will stop everything that comes near him, especially anything shot high, Dustin Brown will be named MVP, there will be an earthquake seconds after Brown scores the winning goal and the whole country except LA will break off and fall into the ocean.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
Also just wanna pop in to give props to Mr. Kite for being a cool poster dude this series. It was a fun one.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Can we get the fancystats of the Flyers, Penguins and Canadiens and then compare them to the fancystats of the Sharks, Ducks and Blackhawks, please?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Hand Knit posted:

The two things that really stuck out to me in game 7 (with respect to LA being tired) was that they seemed undisciplined (taking quite a few penalties) and the several times where their D were beaten through the neutral zone, either off the rush or on puck retrieval. I didn't notice the same thing in NYR against Montreal, although Montreal also can't force those weaknesses like Chicago can. It's just a little thing that erodes LA's advantage.

kings were the most penalized team in the playoffs by a long way and third most in the regular season, so it wasn't just this last game or series

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Kwik posted:

Plus the Kings have been here before. There are Rangers who have been here before, but there is something to be said about institutional advantage for the Kings.

What exactly is there to be said

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Stickarts posted:

The finals biggie and pac died for.

Jeez. I am very glad I found time to watch the last two games in their entirety, and am sad I missed the middle 3.5

I mean I have nothing left to cheer for, but that was an amazing series.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

a false posted:

if the rangers win the series, which i think they definitely can whether or not anyone believes it right now, i won't care how much "worst team ever to win a cup" rhetoric there is, they will still have won the cup (and the 06 canes were worse anyway)

rangers were legitimately the second best team in the east and aren't actually that far behind the bruins. they don't even belong in the worst team to win the cup conversation

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

VJeff posted:

Can we get the fancystats of the Flyers, Penguins and Canadiens and then compare them to the fancystats of the Sharks, Ducks and Blackhawks, please?

If you're looking at anything possession related, the Eastern Conference group's stats were the numerical equivalent of flaming dog poo poo.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

a false posted:

I hope they win in embarrassing fashion so this Kings dickriding by NBC evaporates.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

Now excuse me while I dumpster dive Quick's even strength save percentages.

Going with minimum 500 saves except for the short season, where I went with 250:

2014: .929, 11th (also beheind Greiss with 490 saves) 1st is Rask at .941 (1)
2013: .910, 43rd 1st was Craig Anderson at .943
2012: .933, 4th 1st was Brian Elliott (lol) at .944
2011: .921, 24th 1st was Tim Thomas at .947 (!!) (2)
2010: .919, 24th 1st was Tomas Vokoun at .937 (2)
2009: .926, 17th 1st was Tim Thomas at .940

(1) - This is actually quite a bit higher than I expected it to be, although it still leaves him in the mushy middle
(2) - these two years, Quick finished with .918 and .907 save percentages overall, the difference being a large gulf in (the very variable) short-handed save percentage.

So yeah, outside of one good year and one bad one, Quick finds himself very emphatically in the mushy middle of NHL goaltenders. Maybe more purely average than slightly below average, though.

Zamboni Jesus posted:

kings were the most penalized team in the playoffs by a long way and third most in the regular season, so it wasn't just this last game or series

Fair enough.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Anyway, here's Drew Doughty turning to the Hawks bench, screaming, then falling on his face as he tries to leave the bench.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
The best part about that is how Brian Elliott and Craig Anderson actually led the league in save percentage.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ugh, if any Stanley Cup Finals sweep can be a snoozer it'll be the Kings and the Rangers.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Anyway, here's Drew Doughty turning to the Hawks bench, screaming, then falling on his face as he tries to leave the bench.

Dude was on the ice for almost half an hour tonight. I don't blame him for momentarily forgetting how to skate.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The LA Kings have 16 goals in three game 7s this year. :psyduck:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

the thing i can't get out of my head is that the rangers looked like they were struggling just as hard against the canadiens-sans-price (arguably the weakest team in the entire playoffs) as the kings were against the hawks. yeah, it only took the rangers 6 games to close out the habs vs. 7 for the kings, but IMO that was more luck than skill

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Laderhan posted:

The best part about that is how Brian Elliott and Craig Anderson actually led the league in save percentage.

Brian Elliot has the drat single season save percentage record.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Quick playoff save percentage, 5v5:

2011-12: 20GP, 94.6%, 26.6 SA/60
2012-13: 18GP, 94.3%, 28.2 SA/60
2013-14: 21GP, 91.2%, 29.2 SA/60

Lundqvist:

2011-12: 20GP, 93.9%, 25.6 SA/60
2012-13: 12GP, 94.4%, 33.9 SA/60 ( :stare: )
2013-14: 20GP, 93.7%, 28.5 SA/60

Quick is playing worse than his previous playoffs, Lundqvist remains remarkably consistant

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Out of 7 games, only game 4 had a single team lead all the way through. This was an amazing series.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

the thing i can't get out of my head is that the rangers looked like they were struggling just as hard against the canadiens-sans-price (arguably the weakest team in the entire playoffs)

i don't really think they did struggle that badly in the series. the only bad game they played was game 5 which was a mess on all fronts. i also strongly dispute the canadiens-sans-price being the worst team in the playoffs thing, tokarski was plenty good and the absence of price didn't somehow make their forwards and D worse. that was still the same team that beat boston.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

a false posted:

i don't really think they did struggle that badly in the series. the only bad game they played was game 5 which was a mess on all fronts. i also strongly dispute the canadiens-sans-price being the worst team in the playoffs thing, tokarski was plenty good and the absence of price didn't somehow make their forwards and D worse. that was still the same team that beat boston.

i mean, having a goalie that you don't trust as much can absolutely affect how forwards and D play. not saying this happened with MTL, but it's not like some outlandish phenomenon. and i'm not trying to slag on the canadiens too much, but i can't think of any team that's ever been as lucky as they were against boston. it was almost surreal. though i guess i'm not being fair if i don't count TBL-sans-bishop-(and-MSL) as a team, and they might be the worst. and phi-sans-mason (oh god did i just say that) is down there, too. i don't think i'd say any of the west teams are worse than those two, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Minnesota was in this playoffs.

• Locked thread