Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm so totally down with more V/H/S, and I'm curious to know what direction they'll go in. While the second's lighthearted, loopy tone was fun, I really dug the vicious, dangerous feel to the first. It wanted to hurt you, and I really appreciate that in a horror film. The more of that, the better.

TrixRabbi posted:

If Slumber Party Alien Abduction were it's own film, it'd have been one of the best of last year. Pure energy.

SPAA is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Why?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Because a dog, unlike a shithead kid can be empathized with.

And that has nothing to do with the rest of the short? Or the series? Or the concept of found footage horror?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CelticPredator posted:

Because it didn't have a point. I guess it doesn't have to have a point, but it still bothered me. I like dogs. I like dogs a lot. They're cool. I don't mind dogs getting killed in alien movies because that happens almost all the time. But to end the film on that note left me super sour. But I was already hating it before that so that was just the icing on the cake.

What is it asking you, as a viewer?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CelticPredator posted:

It wasn't asking me anything. Unless you have some insight here. What was the film asking you?

Well, look, what do you feel when the teenagers are being slaughtered? What do you feel when the dog is dying? Most people are probably not going to give much thought to the teenagers. The teenagers are meat. It's why we enjoy slasher films, we get to watch other people die and it's fun. We don't feel for them. In this way, our reaction is a judgement. To care more for the dog is to decide that the teenagers are more deserving of their deaths. So, why do we care more for the dog? Why do we condemn the teenagers as "shitheads"? It's like a little morality play, and I really appreciate that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

acephalousuniverse posted:

Yeah people are idiots/brain-broken for caring more about the dog than the teenagers but it's an extremely throwaway thing at the very end of the short and hardly qualifies the thing as a "morality play."

You're right. The conscious decision to show the dog dying for ten seconds was a throwaway thing. This whole short is just a bunch of frivolous bullshit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There's something to be said for seeing the protagonist in Tuesday the 17th gorily ripped apart. She looked for closure, she looked to beat the system, and was disassembled in full view, for the enjoyment of the audience. Punishment for knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
All it's missing is her eating an apple or something.

• Locked thread